News and updates about Victoria Azarenka - Page 49 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #721
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Yeah KvittyGOAT's playing Linz so she won't. Also Moscow list is out and Sunshine's playing Luxembourg so that means no indoor tournaments this year. It's the first time in a while she's skipped this season (and not won a title in it) so it is kind of a lost opportunity for a title, but definitely the better choice overall as Linz was kind of strange last year. Hopefully she can keep up the trend and win a different indoor title .
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #722
country flag VIK!

VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of

US OPEN 2013
STATS
after the FINAL LOSS against SERENA WILLIAMS (USA;#1) 5:7 (58 min.) ; 7(8):6(6) (70 min.) ; 6:1 (37 min.)

VIK! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #723
country flag VIK!

VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of

US OPEN 2013
PC after FINAL

Quote:
Q. How would you describe your determination and Serena's determination once that match got going today?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I think it was raising, you know, from the first point the tension, the battle, the determination, it was raising really, you know, kind of like boiling the water or something.
It felt from every point, you know, it was rising the level, and, yeah, it was a great match.

Q. As it went on, how much did you feel that tension?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, you always feel it, you know, because you're in that moment. So you just try to stay tough and try to resist for whatever it takes.

Q. That second set obviously was just an amazing comeback on your part.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Thank you.

Q. Talk about the emotions having completed, you know, and finished that set. But then going into the third set, was there a bit of almost a letdown emotionally?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, there was no letdown. I think it was the moment in the third set that the momentum changed a little bit, and I kind of felt like I lost that momentum.
But it wouldn't happen because Serena didn't do something. It didn't happen just because I was, you know, out of focus or something.
She really made it happen. In that particular moment she was tougher today. She was more consistent, and, you know, she deserved to win.
I wish I could do something better today. You know, I felt like I had opportunities in the first set, as well. But, I mean, it's okay. It goes that way. I did everything I could.
The game overall, there are things could have been better. But, you know, I gave my heart. I fought as hard as I could.
So that's what, you know, is important for me, that, you know, I lost to a great champion, but I still gonna have my head up.

Q. I will ask you about the wind. It seemed to be a major factor, especially for her. She seemed to be mistiming a lot of balls. You seemed to be able to keep finding corners a lot even after it was fairly gusty out there. Was that just about footwork, and how much do you think that helped for your end, maybe an advantage for you maybe?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, the wind, you know, is something that is absolutely out of your control. It wasn't pleasant. It, you know, sometimes maybe played some factor on some points. But overall, I mean, you just have to forget about that.
It's not the wind. It's not the sun. It's about the match. You know, it's about the ball. You try to do whatever it takes to win the point with whatever circumstances you've got to go through.
But, yeah, it wasn't pleasant. It wasn't nice. Skirts were always, you know, lifting up. You had to pull it down all the time.
But these are conditions you have to play in.

Q. You had fun talking about your X Factor in a joking way the other day. On a serious note, what is Serena Williams' X Factor? Can you put into words what makes her so special as a champion?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, there's one word. She's a champion, and she knows how to repeat that. She knows what it takes to get there.
I know that feeling, too. And when two people who want that feeling so bad meet, it's like a clash. That's what happens out there, those battles.
And in the important moments is who is more brave, who is more consistent, or who takes more risk. And with somebody like Serena you got to take risk. You can never play safe, because she will do that. She did that today really well.

Q. Did you sense that in the early third of that final set Serena was taking a lot of pace off the ball, making you generate all the pace?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. I think she changes up sometimes. Sometimes she really goes for it; sometimes she finds great depth; sometimes she finds good angles.
So her variety is really good, you know, as well as mine. Sometimes, you know, I also try to redirect balls. I think she was, you know, being a little bit more consistent. As I said, in the important moments she really took her chance.
Sometimes I was maybe not ‑‑or a little bit too rushed or, you know, playing safe.

Q. You have beaten her in big matches on tour. Haven't beaten her in a slam yet. Do you sense a big difference when her when you play her, and what do you think it will take from you to make that next step in a slam against her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think there was much of a difference, you know, today or maybe Cincinnati. I think the quality of the game and the quality of determination was the same.
You know, we have opposite results, but I think overall the match from last year is something; this match is a different story. It showed a different maybe not Serena, but it showed a different me as a player today.
And I felt that way. So I think that, you know, it's important to just try to go for those chances. I can't wait for the next chance.

Q. Looks like from the side that this one hurts worse than the one last year. Is it really tougher to take this loss compared to last one?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's different. It's different, and I will not think of how tough is this loss gonna reflect on me.
I'm just gonna take the best out of what happened today, because there are a lot of positive things. What's negative is the result.
But to take overall, you know, to see how much you rise to the occasion compared to the other matches, I think it's pretty remarkable. And the challenge that is in front of me is only gonna make me more motivated.
I think, you know, we showed today that, you know, woman's game is really, really competitive.

Q. You handled Serena's serve pretty well for the most part all day. Were you happy with your own serve? Do you think the wind affected it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Um, didn't help. Didn't help, for sure. You can always pinpoint what could have been better. I'm just trying to look overall.
And, yes, I'm going to try to improve that particular aspect, because the gap between Serena's serve and my serve is pretty big.
But I don't want to compare that because, you know, I think she has the best serve of all time, definitely. I'm just trying to find the way to raise my level on that.

Q. Do you think that it was the serve that actually made the difference today? It was a pretty close match. It wasn't a big difference. Do you think that was the key?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. Nope.

Q. When you think about Serena being close to 32 years old, having 17 majors, and the Open era record being Graf's 22, what are your thoughts on what her chances are to get that far, given that players like you and Maria and others are still competing against her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it's not something I'm really thinking about, to be honest (smiling). But I think it's incredible what she's achieving. She's playing definitely her best tennis right now. It really shows how focused and how composed and how much she can raise the level.
That's just really exciting for me, you know, to be able to compete against that type of player who can be the greatest of all time, and I'm playing against that person in the finals of the Grand Slam. So that's really, really exciting.

Q. Were you conscious, when you lost the first set just six straight points from Serena, did you think at all about last year's match? Was there any sort of flashback?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, not at all.

Q. In the future, do you think you'll see this as a tremendous opportunity lost, so close to our greatest championship in this country, or somehow do you think it will be a steppingstone? Can you talk about that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I will always take the best out of that, because you cannot sit and say, Oh, my God, you know, this is the worst thing that could have happened to me, because it's not. It hurts really bad. I'm not gonna lie. It hurts bad.
But to just take the most positive out of that and, you know, see that light in the tunnel, as you can say, is good. I can see a lot of positive things from that.
So I'm just gonna go back out and work my ass off, you know, to go and fight hard again, to put myself in this opportunity again.

Q. Obviously the match stayed very, very tight; always within a couple of games within each other until the third. Just wondered what allowed her to get the distance from you as the third set wore on?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think the third set, even though the score was 6‑1, was much closer. I had a lot of opportunities that I didn't convert. She took those opportunities really well.
So that's more of the story that I feel happened. Not that, you know, that big gap of the 6‑1. Even in the last game, you know, last couple of games I had break points and stuff.
Yeah, just, you know, looking back, I'll just really taking good notes. There is no other way than going out there and working hard again, you know, to practice and keep going again.

Q. You said the other day that Serena pushes you to play your very best tennis. It was certainly on display out there tonight. Serena was talking about you a couple days ago after her match, and she said that she's watched you play, you know, other players, and that she feels that when you play her it's like a different player at a different level. Do you agree with that? Do you also then look at playing Serena as an opportunity to take your game to another level that maybe other players don't push you to?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, to be honest, I watch her play too and it goes vice versa, because you know, some matches she wins 7‑5 in the third, and then when we play in the Olympics and the score is 1 and 2, you know, it's a little bit different.
But overall I think it is true. I think when you have a bigger challenge in front of you in anything in life or, you know, in any practice, you try to be better.
So, you know, as I mentioned before, she's my biggest challenge. Every time I play I need to, you know, raise that level, because in some matches, even though you're not playing your best but you find a way, you know, to work through it and, you know, win ugly sometimes. But with her you have to, you know, rise to the occasion.
I always will look in the opportunity to play against the best player and test myself and go for that challenge and, you know, fight hard.
After that, as I'm going to do today or tonight or in two days or whatever, I'm going to reassess on what other things I want to improve. I already have a pretty clear image.

Q. You mentioned that you're eager to get right back out there, but what are you going to do for the next five to ten days?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm actually going to the practice court right now (smiling).

Q. Tonight?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, no, no. Tonight is easy. And for next couple of days I can't wait to go back to Belarus and see my family and just, you know, kind of relax a little bit, take a couple of days, and then right back at it.

Q. Who is going to win the men's final?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Who's gonna win? I don't know. Who I want to win? You know, Rafa convinced me, you know, to vote ‑‑to just, you know, how do you say? Support him. Support him (laughter). Okay.

Q. How did he convince you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: How? He was practicing with his shirt off (laughter).
(Applause.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #724
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Azarenka’s coach: Vika ran out of gas in final

Sam Sumyk, the coach of Victoria Azarenka, says fatigue was a factor in the final set of the Belarusian's 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-1 loss to Serena Williams in the U.S. Open final. Azarenka came back from a 1-4 deficit to win the second set, but lost the last five games of the third set.

“She ran out of little bit of gas to keep pushing from behind,” Sumyk told TENNIS.com. “When you run out of energy it’s better to lead because that gives a little boost, but to push, push, push always to come back drains you.”

Sumyk also said that Azarenka could have hit better shots and made better decisions in the match. The world No. 2 defeated Williams in two hard-court finals coming into New York, but has yet to beat the now 17-time Grand Slam champion at a major.

“It was never a problem to play Serena,” he said. “We are the first ones to recognize what a great player Serena is, but it’s not something were scared of. It’s a privilege when you play the great players. Vika wants to be challenged by the best and get better herself. I hope they play a lot more against each other.”
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UjACjJWgfSj
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #725
country flag joshum

joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all

i think he is spot on. it's too much emotional drain to get back from 2 breaks down and to come back again in the tiebreak. 2 ways to look at it, 1. if she can prepare for long intensified session now matter how long it takes. can you imagine, it would have been 3-4 hours match if 3rd set is the same as first 2. 2. she shouldn't have put herself in that position in the first place, should take every opportunity as life and death to snatch the first set. somehow she has always waited to be behind in the 2nd set to push through. that's a waste of a lot of energy, and you can never win like that against serena all the time.

oh guys, there is a campaign in blog to bring back vika's shorts after the hideous outfit in USO.

http://womenwhoserve.blogspot.hk/201...f-of-vika.html
http://www.wtabackspin.blogspot.hk/2.../the-plea.html
joshum is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #726
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute

I agree i do believe that in the 3rd set she ran out of gas. But im happy that she kept the match very tight and steady. Very happy that shes in the finals of a slam again.

http://deestruction.tumblr.com/
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #727
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tennis - Victoria Azarenka talks about young Belarusian talents
Tennis - Azarenka says she is helping two talented teenagers from her country

Tennis - There are not too many players from Belarus besides world no. 2 Victoria Azarenka, who have made their mark in the women's game.

But Azarenka is working on trying to ensure the legacy of tennis sustains in her nation and is helping some talented juniors from her country.

In an interview published on the RedBull website, Azarenka talks about 13 year old Ulyana Grib and 12 year old Ekaterina Grib.

“They could be very, very good. How good is very, very good? “They have something that is extremely rare. When I asked them what their dream was, they were shy and hesitant at first. And then they said: ‘Please don’t get mad, but we want to be better than you.’ That’s when I knew: I want to help these girls."

Azarenka lost in the finals of the US Open in three sets for the second year in a row to world no. 1 Serena Williams and has won two grand slams singles titles. She also won the Olympic mixed doubles title in London last year with countryman Max Mirnyi, both of whom have been honoured with stamps issued by the Belarus Post recently.
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Tennis...tm_source=t.co
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #728
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

It seems we're not going to get her press conference from today? It would be nice to get some answers on what exactly the problem is.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #729
country flag Natural Joe

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka says she’s closing gap on ‘best ever’ Serena Williams

“Serena is playing the best tennis of her life and so am I,” Azarenka told AFP. “It’s been really noticeable the gap from last year we have in the matches has minimized. I’ve beaten her twice this year. No one else has done that. It’s just exciting to be in the era of somebody and competing with somebody who is considered the best ever and being their toughest opponent.”

“Serena is the best ever to me,” Azarenka said. ”I cannot judge somebody who I never played before, but for me overall the game of tennis has elevated and the evolution of the game raised up so much that it’s hard to compare. It’s like comparing Muhammad Ali and Floyd Mayweather. How can you compare two eras? They’re both the greatest in the world, but who was the better boxer?”
http://tennis.si.com/2013/09/27/vict...s-wta-rivalry/
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM   #730
country flag Natural Joe

Quote:
BEIJING, CHINA

A. PETKOVIC/V. Azarenka
6‑4, 2‑6, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. You had 15 double faults tonight. What do you feel was the issue? Your serve was the story of the match, it seems like.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, you said it all. It was an awful match and very bad performance from me, so not much to say.
It happens once, twice a year to every player, and happened to me today.

Q. This is your second early exit in a row. You said coming into this tournament you were feeling a little better when you got here. Do you think you had some carryover from the illness last week?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. I don't take the last week even as a tournament. It's hard to judge that, you know, early exit or not early exit.
If I'm going to be doing it again, I probably should have taken a longer break and just prepare myself. I don't feel like I was ready to play‑‑ there is no excuse ‑‑ to be 100%, but the preparation wasn't there enough, so I cannot deny that.
It's just my mistakes for not paying much attention after the US Open how I managed my time and how I managed my health. I mean, today's match is today's match. I felt good. I didn't have any issues, but overall, that comes maybe. There is no excuses.

Q. I'm so sorry about the loss. My question is: Do you think it's emotional thing? Because I was at the court with you, and from what I can tell, you were not very satisfied with all the mumblings. I'm wondering, what do you say to yourself during the game and are you swearing or...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: A lot of things. Really was saying a lot of things. I'm not going to repeat them in the press conference what I say to myself when I play matches. It's a very silly question.
In terms of emotions, yeah there was a lot of emotions and frustration that I let myself get into because I wasn't doing the right thing.
And with the serve, you know, trying new things, working it during the tournament obviously didn't‑‑ I didn't have enough time. It was just off rhythm. There were good parts; there were bad parts.
Just need time for the consistency.

Q. What's wrong with your service? So many double faults.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I just answered your question.

Q. Petkovic looked a little injured late in the second set and was struggling. Did that mentally take you off your game a little bit? She looked really bad at some points.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it's funny nobody brings it up right now, you know, but for me, I don't know, I feel bad for somebody who's feeling bad. Obviously she was okay in the third set, so I guess she got better. That's great news.

Q. Unfortunately the result is not so good for you in the Asian swing, but I think you still have something to gain in last couple weeks. Can you just tell us about your experience in Asian swing this season.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: What?

Q. The result is not so good for you in Asian swing, like Tokyo and Beijing, but maybe you can tell us something you still gained during last couple weeks.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, you know, one tournament out of the year you cannot just put yourself so much down. It's one tournament.
As I said, Tokyo it's tough for me to judge as a bad tournament. It was just unfortunate. I cannot ask myself was it a bad performance because of my game. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Here it was a bad tournament. As I said, it happens once, twice a year, those matches, and the important is how you come out of it.
I'm going to come back, reevaluate, practice more. I just needed more preparation, and that's what I'm going to get now before the last tournament.

Q. Do you feel the story from the night was more your play or something Petkovic did it take you off your game?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: She obviously played really good match. I have to give her credit, of course. I just feel from my part there was no execution. There were too many unforced errors, too many double faults, too many balls going away like this.
That's my first sign of not having a little bit enough maybe matches, maybe something that I really need to play or practice some more just to convert those mistakes into the lines.
That's when I play better.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in Chinese.

Q. Please tell us what kind of adjustment are you supposed to make for the preparation of the WTA final?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: (In English.) Just usual practices I do. Just look to the positive. I have three weeks now, so...

Q. My question is: Do you feel uncomfortable with the bad weather conditions here in Beijing?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: (In English.) No. Weather is the same for everybody, so there is no complaints about that. It's a little smoggy. It's not the same as everywhere else, but that's what I have to deal with.
So that's not a factor.

Q. In the second set you win 6‑2, and also the opponent called for medical timeout. At that time did you feel you were close to victory?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: (In English.) No.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=92871
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #731
country flag Natural Joe

Quote:
Victoria Azarenka among the world's best paid athletes, pocketing $71,000 per set in 2013

REMEMBER Victoria Azarenka's straight sets demolition of Eleni Daniilidou in the second round of the Australian Open this year

If you need a refresher, it was over in 55 minutes and the champ gave up just one game. Her 6-1 first set took just 21 minutes and came for the loss of just 10 points.

So what were those 21 minutes worth? Half a Powerade and a fresh towel?

Not likely.

New statistics show Azarenka earned more for her every minute of her on-court exploits than almost any other athlete on the planet.

Prizemoney statistics for the top tennis players and golf stars - who are among the best paid sportspeple in the world - reveal Azarenka earns more for every moment on court than world No.1 Serena Williams, who is set to top $10 million in earnings this year, and more per set than Rafael Nadal.

Azarenka has won $5,822,165 from her 42 wins and seven losses this year - or $70,869 for each of the 83 sets along the way.

In comparison, Nadal has won 65 times this year and made $10,700,034, which equates to $151,288 per match, but has made $62,210 for each set he plays - about $9000 less than Azarenka.

Even the all-conquering Williams, who has won 77 times and lost only four this year, is banking only $59,882 per set.

The world's best golfer and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, Tiger Woods, earned more than $8.5 million from his 16 tournaments this year - more than $500,000 for every tournament - but considering his four rounds take about 20 hours to complete, the world No.1 is taking home far less per hour than the shrieking Belarussian.

But he's doing markedly better than women's world No.1 Inbee Park, whose dominant start to the year has snowballed into winnings of $2,306,328 - or $121,386 for each of her 19 tournaments.

Sam Stosur has been our highest-earning tennis player (excluding endorsements) this year, dropping to No.26 on the WTA list with $828,190.

Our golfers fared much better, with Adam Scott's US Masters triumph catapulting him to sixth position and a yearly bank balance of $4,892,611 from 16 tournaments, while Jason Day (12th with $3,625,030) isn't far behind.

Top Aussie LPGA golfer and former world No.1 Karrie Webb has made $736,292 on tour this year.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te....KWOXIFRz.dpuf
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM   #732
country flag VIK!

YEC Istanbul 2013 Pre-Tournament PC
Quote:
Q. Just wondering how you sort of sum up your year, how you look back on what you have done, more highs and lows with injuries, but also a lot of big successes as well, Australia. How would you assess this year now looking back at it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I don't do that until my last match, really, because I always look forward to what I can do, you know, the current week.
But just to look back quickly, you know, over the year, it's been a pretty successful year, you know, finishing up at the Championships. It shows the consistency throughout the year even though there were some up and downs, but I think I had big wins, and I feel like the year has improved from the last year.
So I'm excited to just, you know, be here and finish strong, and there will always be next year.

Q. How do you feel your rivalry with Serena has evolved over the past year?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's been growing. I think it's been becoming more and more interesting, and we had a lot of very good matches, very good battles, and it's great. I'm honored to be a part of that. That's what takes me every time to work harder to the next level, and, you know, I'm excited about that.

Q. Looking back on the year, I know you don't want to, but which is the win that was most satisfying to you? Because you have had some big ones, whether they were slam wins or just in regular tournaments.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it's very, very hard to say that, because there are matches that sometimes you go through that maybe are not, you know, for winning a title, but you go through them and you feel so satisfied.
It's really difficult to choose one, really difficult.

Q. You have been at these Championships all through the years, and obviously you don't spend a lot of time in Turkey or Istanbul, but the times you have come here, do you sense any change in how the country or the people or general feeling is towards tennis here in the last three years? Is there any difference to you? Any legacy here that you think you're leaving?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think so. I think, you know, every player who came here and played here left a little piece of history for our sport here. It's been the biggest event in tennis here in Turkey. So I feel the growth of population, you know, involved in tennis, that we see a lot of kids through social media responding and writing letters, that please come back to Turkey. We love to see you here. We want to play tennis, too. Definitely leaves the mark for me, you know, to be a part of that.
Fans have been incredible here from day one, from the first year we came here, and they have just been even better every year. I'm really excited to just go out on the court and feel that energy, fill that fan love here that we have. It's been amazing.

Q. Going back to rivalries, how important do you think it is to have those big rivalries at the top of the game?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Just for your extra motivation. Sometimes when you feel you don't want to go to the gym or the tennis court and fight, you know, somebody is behind you or somebody is above you that you want to reach and grab that spot.
Definitely that's a big motivation.

Q. 2011 here, you reached the final and played Petra, very tough final. Was that sort of the point where you knew maybe I'm ready to win my first Grand Slam, my game has matured to the point where I can really step it up?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: To be honest, I don't think that was that point. I think there has been the 2011, mentioning that has been a very educational year on many occasions for me. Even like third round of the US Open when I played in a big match against Serena.
I think all those pieces by pieces really took me to that kind of understanding of the new level that I have to reach to be able to win the Grand Slam.

Q. I'm wondering how the last few weeks have been for you. Probably wasn't the Asian swing you wanted, early loss in Beijing. Just wondered how you recovered from it and if you absolutely needed rest over the last couple of weeks.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it's been tough Asian swing, but I think, you know, whatever happens happens for a reason, and has definitely made me understand how to maybe schedule things better. It's nobody's fault, another learning experience for me. I was in training in Switzerland, I went to Australia for a little bit, and I had a little bit of rest.
I have been practicing, so I'm excited to just play the tournament and see how it goes. It's the last one of the year, so I'm ready to give it all here.

Q. Wondered how important it is for a young player to have a steady coaching relationship, how important it is to hear the same ‑‑not the same message, but having a consistent partnership with a coach over a period of time?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I have always been a true believer in that, because I see a lot of players, man and woman, changing, switching coaches at different, you know, stages of their career, and I always have long relationships with a coach.
I feel like there is good in that, because you go through a lot of experience, good and bad experience, and you learn. It's important that your coach can educate you not only on court but educate your life, and you respect somebody for a longer period of time, longer period you know them.
I think that can bring your success together when you just learn and communicate and grow together.

Q. You mentioned Australia before. Your boyfriend is obviously there doing television. Did you sneak in without being noticed?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I didn't sneak in there. I love people who knew I was there. I was actually wearing my beanie and sunglasses, and I still couldn't get avoided.
I mean, my boyfriend is pretty recognizable with all this (showing big hair) so it's hard to hide.

Q. He's talked a lot about watching you perform, sitting on the sidelines. What's it like for you watching him on television?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's funny, because he's a funny dude. You know, I watch all the X factors and stuff, and then we talk about it. I give my opinions, you know, but it's really fun, because I know him from one side and I see him on the television with a little different side.
It's exciting for me.

Q. But being around him because he's been in the entertainment industry basically his whole life and he grew up in that, did that help you get more comfortable in your industry, which also requires a lot of press and sponsorships, being out there all the time?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, it just shows that you always have to be really you, and it doesn't matter where you are, and I feel it's the best way to really just be more personal with anybody who you deal with, sponsors, press, you know, other tennis players, just to be open and honest and they like you or they, you know, may not like you that much.
It's up to people's opinion, but if you're staying consistent through what you do, I think it's the best way.

Q. We saw the music video. Do you have any plans to go further in music?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I didn't want to be in that video, to be honest. It's just trying to sneak me into every scene there was, and I was supposed to be a mermaid, but I said, you are out of your mind. I'm not swimming in the water. It's cold. (Laughter.) What are you talking about?
And then he found another scene where I could just be a stewardess, and I never really served drinks, and the glass kept sliding and I was a little nervous.
It was fun. It was definitely fun to see, you know, how that world works and how long it takes to shoot that whole video. And swimming with sharks? Like it's crazy. I mean, that's why the video is Let's Get Ridiculous. Because it is ridiculous.

Q. You won two Grand Slams, both of them Australian Open, and two finals, one of them United States Open. Do you feel yourself better on the hard court rather than the grass and clay?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think, you know, if you take a ratio of the tournaments that I have played on hard courts and played on grass or clay, it's really big difference. We play much more on hard courts and there are two Grand Slams out of four on hard courts.
But I think I can play well all the surfaces. I was in the semifinals of other Grand Slams, so it's just, you know, the matter of taking that extra step, but I feel comfortable playing in all of them.

Last edited by VIK! : Oct 22nd, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 06:30 PM   #733
country flag VIK!

YEC Istanbul 2013
PC after RR R1 WIN against Sara Errani(ITA;#6) 7(7):6(4) 6:2 (2:14h)

Quote:
Q. It was a bit of a struggle but you got the edge in the end?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I was a little rusty at the beginning. I think it's a little bit expected after a break, and, you know, playing right away against a top player always makes it a little bit difficult because you don't have that room, adaptation. So I had to make that adaptation kind of during the match.
But I think, you know, overall was important to take that first set. It was a big turnaround point and to stay in the moment, to really just try to find a way how to, you know, how to win points, how to win games.

Q. Do you know when a match is sort of going more slowly?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, not really. For me it doesn't matter how long the match takes. I will stay and play as long as it takes. My physical ability, there is no question about it, how long it takes the match, as long as I'm going to stay there, so I never really looked at it.

Q. When you haven't played in a while and you're rusty and you're an aggressive player, are you thinking, okay, now I need to dictate against her? I also want to play patiently because I don't want to commit too many unforced errors early?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, yeah. It's important to find that balance. I felt like at the beginning, you know, my intentions and the way I played was the right way. It was just execution was missing a little bit. There were a few nets and few small outs. I didn't feel like they were big, big mistakes.
You know, that rustiness, that's what it comes after a little bit of a break, but I felt like after I found a little bit more patience, and in the important moment I was more brave to take my chances and the execution was better.

Q. When you are at a tournament like this, do you approach the first round differently than you would at a normal tournament just because you know the competition is going to be at a higher level off the bat, or is it same as usual?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's a little bit different, because it doesn't feel like a first round. It feels like just the match, you know, in the group. So it is a little bit different approach, and it's been a while since I played a first round against a top 6 player, so it is going to be different.
Here, you know, the way the structure of the tournament is, you not only have to win matches, but sometimes you can rely on the games. So it's important just to stay in the moment, and it's the only, you know, one tournament where you can lose and still come back and still win the tournament.

Q. We all know Sara is a very good clay‑court player, but what do you think makes her also a very dangerous player on hard court? Is it the variety of the way she plays the ball or her fighting spirit, she never gives up?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think Sara proved over especially the last two years that she's been a really dangerous opponent on every surface. Of course, I think that her results were more consistent during the clay, but overall she's a very good fighter. She doesn't give anything away.
She makes you hit a lot of balls, and she starts to be more aggressive. She has a lot of variety, and, you know, she can come to the net. So you never really know what to expect, but you do know that you will expect a lot of balls bringing back.

Q. Because this is the showcase at the end of the women's season, the speed of the court and the quality of the players are obviously very important to the game. What do you think of the speed of the court here, this Championships? Do the players actually have any input into what they think would be the optimum speed of the court to bring the best tennis out at this stage of the season?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think it's ever been asked by the players, because it more depends, you know, of the quality, not how fast the court is, is overall quality of the stadium that has to fit the standards.
But, you know, I think the court is pretty rough, I would have to say. It's a little bit slow. But that's what we have. I think, you know, you can't really find excuses or something. If the surface can be a little bit better because it's tough on the body, maybe, yeah, but I think it's the last year. I think it's a good point to bring for the next Championships.
We're going to change location and everything, so I think there can be improvement, but there is nothing wrong with the court.

Q. While you were off a little bit and ill, were you reading the comments about whether women should or could play three out of five sets at the slams, and would you realistically be in favor about that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I read about it. I think there has been a lot of talk about it. It's been brought so much into press, and I think we can stand by one opinion that all the women have: We're ready to play whatever it is.
I just think that, you know, playing five sets can be very challenging for the scheduling. I actually think men should play three sets. It would be, you know, more interesting.

Q. So what would be your preference? If someone said you can either stay at two out of three or you can switch to three out of five, what would you say?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I would say men should play best of three (smiling).

Q. She had a medical timeout in the second set. Were you put off by it at all?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not off. I mean, you always feel a little bit, you know, sad for an opponent when they take a medical timeout, and, you know, there were quite a few breaks, but you just have to deal with this.
She played some unbelievable returns after that, so it was, like, okay, get back, just get back, try to play your game.
But I have to give her a lot of credit for, you know, staying out there and fighting really hard. It was important for the crowd, and I think it was still a good match in the second set.

Q. So you said you felt a little bit rusty, but overall, how would you assess your performance tonight versus maybe your last couple of matches? Good, better, about the same? Where are you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: The last couple of matches?

Q. Last couple matches.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Couple matches, I will not assess that.
This match I think, you know, it's a good start that, you know, you are right back in the competition mode. You know, I had to come back, and I had to find a way how to deal with the circumstances.
I'm not going to rate that, because I just want to think of what I can do better next match and try to avoid those maybe little mistakes in the beginning. But I think, you know, playing second match it already should get better.

Q. So it's safe to say there is a lot of room still for improvement?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: There is always room for improvement for anybody.

Q. Clearly quality of results, which you have frequently, is more important than quantity, but have you played enough tennis tournaments this year to your satisfaction, or would you like to play more next year?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's a good question. I think it's the matter of when to play and what to play, because, you know, just try to adapt a schedule, because I would like to play, you know, all the main tournaments, of course, all the WTA events that I wanted to play this year and just schedule it a little bit better.
I had a very good summer, and, you know, the fall could have been better due to my scheduling. You know, I don't think that the result was ‑‑maybe, you know, if I wouldn't play some tournaments I would still lose for sure, doesn't matter, but for my own learning experience I feel like I can do better next year.

Q. When you were saying regarding Tokyo and Beijing that you didn't feel like you prepared well enough for the Asian swing after the US Open, what exactly did that mean?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I felt I didn't have enough rest. Really, it took so much out of me that summer with the rehab and playing Cincinnati and playing so well at the US Open. I just needed that break physically, and I felt so guilty not practicing, and I kept practicing and practicing and practicing, so it really didn't do me well.

Q. Going off of that a little bit, what would be your ideal situation? To have longer breaks after major tournaments where you can kind of shut down completely or, you know, a short break between tournaments to kind of just give your body a little bit of rest before you go into another one?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it's important to have a little bit of a break after the major tournament, because you don't realize how much it takes out of you when you go that deep. Because it's not only a one‑week event or two‑week event. It's actually a three‑weeks event because you always get there earlier, and all that drag, mentally and physically, to be able to be there at such a high level, it really takes a lot out of you, especially now with the way the tennis is physically.

Q. Is it hard to want to take that break? For example, if you're at the US Open and you make the finals and you're playing well and you want to capitalize on that momentum and go off and play a tournament immediately, is it difficult to make that kind of shift, or at this point in your career with your experience are you good with saying, No, I need a break?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, that's a learning experience. I really wanted to play in Tokyo. I love that tournament. And it's the last year of that.
So, you know, you do some kind of mistakes. You can call it mistakes. I'd rather call it the learning experience for me to know what to do, you know, if the situation happens again.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #734
country flag Natural Joe

PC

Quote:
TEB BNP PARIBAS WTA CHAMPIONSHIPS

October 23, 2013

Victoria Azarenka

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

J. JANKOVIC/V. Azarenka
6‑4, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It seemed like you couldn't quite find your range out there. Was that how it felt?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: There is a lot of things that didn't go well today, I think. So to find one in particular would make it really difficult.

Q. What's your assessment of the match? Was it all coming off of your racquet, or was there something she was doing that was particularly effective?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, of course she was playing well. I mean, I think she's playing her best tennis right now. Really improved a lot throughout the year.
But I cannot sit and say that I played well and, you know, she was better today. Of course she was better today, but, you know, I let a lot of balls go. There was a lot of mistakes, small mistakes, a little bit bigger mistakes.
But it was just so inconsistent, you know, the targets, that it's just doesn't work against top players.

Q. Lack of match play since the US Open?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. Lack of a lot of things.

Q. Practice? Well, you have been practicing, I would assume, the last ten days or so?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. It's hard, you know, sometimes to just keep it up, you know. I think I have been pretty much the most consistent player the last two years, and, you know, sometimes things like this happen.
It's just, you know, the bad road, and it's‑‑ you know, I have to go through that, because it didn't happen to me in a long, long time.

Q. How do you get yourself out of that other than just ball striking?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I have one more match, so, you know, for me, it's just going to be about that. Then there is a break, and 2013 will be over for me. So that's what I kind of have to deal with at this particular moment is just one more match.

Q. So you sound a little mentally tired at this point of the season. Is that fair to say?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, yeah. I think it's pretty obvious.

Q. Is it hard to sort of gather yourself for the last tournament here when also there is a break coming up that you really need?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. As I said, you know, it's been a long year. It's been a tough year. It's been tough two years, so that consistency I have been playing with, it's sometimes difficult to keep all the time.
You know, everybody goes through tough moments in their career, and the important thing is how you come out of it. You know, I just need to battle right now as much as I can.

Q. Is that sometimes one of the toughest things to play, the year‑end Championships? Li Na earlier was saying it's hard, because she has her mind on vacation, to focus in on one of the biggest tournaments of the year, that there's nothing for you to play for here in terms of like ranking or things like that. Is that one of the mental challenges of playing this tournament?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, definitely it's tough, you know, in the end of the year to play against the best players, because every match you have to go and dig deep, and that's‑‑ you know, sometimes your motivation is not there enough to know the capacity how deep, how deep can you dig.

Q. How are you physically?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I mean, it's tough for everybody. I'm not going to sit here and say that I feel perfectly, but, you know, it's ‑‑you play back‑to‑back matches. It's a little bit tiring, and, you know, all the things put together, it makes your body tired.

Q. But what I mean is the injuries, you had to fight so hard to come back after Wimbledon, and then you got sick in Asia. Is your body feeling well, or is it just a struggle to get yourself out there to play?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's, you know, just mentally tough right now. Just, you know, tough to get things started a little bit.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #735
country flag iGOAT

Q. How do you get yourself out of that other than just ball striking?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I have one more match, so, you know, for me, it's just going to be about that. Then there is a break, and 2013 will be over for me. So that's what I kind of have to deal with at this particular moment is just one more match.

There should be three more dear .