Linky Boshoff - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #1
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Linky Boshoff

Someone here a while ago (Jem or Louloubelle?) was saying how much they loved watching her play, and I actually found a grainy, but half decent pic of the little South African fireplug. Enjoy!

Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Thanks, Alfajeffster. I have a fairly good collection of Boshoff photos and stories. I've been working to see if I could get some videotaped matches, but havnig to go through all the private channels is not working very well. Linky was a fave of mine, but I only saw a few matches where she was featured, and never an entire match. I saw bits of her match with Margaret Court in 1977, a point or two of her 76 U.S. Open doubles final and a few others here and there.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM   #3
country flag Nicola

Nicola has disabled reputation
She retired very early like all SA players in the 1970s...I wonder why all of them stopped in the early 20s. Boshoff retired after winning all three titles at the SA Open!!! Marise Kruger retired at 21 and Brigitte Cuypers at 23 or 24. Quite amazing, one should ask Ilana Kloss, a contemporary and the only one who is still involved in tennis I believe.
The 70s were a great time for SA tennis, they won Davis Cup and Fed Cup, at home in Jo'burg in 1972. I have some stories on the Fed Cup win, it was their biggest sporting triumph ever.
Nicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:13 PM   #4
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
She retired very early like all SA players in the 1970s...I wonder why all of them stopped in the early 20s. Boshoff retired after winning all three titles at the SA Open!!! Marise Kruger retired at 21 and Brigitte Cuypers at 23 or 24. Quite amazing, one should ask Ilana Kloss, a contemporary and the only one who is still involved in tennis I believe.
The 70s were a great time for SA tennis, they won Davis Cup and Fed Cup, at home in Jo'burg in 1972. I have some stories on the Fed Cup win, it was their biggest sporting triumph ever.
Add Greer Stevens to the list of 70's early retirees. But it goes back to the strong South Africans of the 60's also. Sandra Reynolds Price, Renee Schuurman Haygarth, and Annette VanZyl Duplooy all retired fairly young or just didn't play as much after they got married. I think marriage was the common denominator for many of these ladies.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
Boshoff opted for school. I was always under the impression that she believed she had achieved her full potential, giving her small size and particular game. Plus, she didn't seem to enjoy the travel.

Kruger's retirement was a surprise, but it came at a time when she was struggling to win matches. I saw it quoted where she believed she simply did not have the power to compete with the very best. And if she couldn't truly compete with the best day in and day out, she wasn't prepared to continue. She retired near the end of 1979, at the ripe old age of 21. Personally, I think she was demoralized by a first round loss to Glynnis Coles at Wimbledon that year. For a while, I thought it would be one of those gone today, back tomorrow decisions, but she never played again on tour.

Cuyper's retirement shocked me most of all. She had a pretty good 1978 up until the U.S. Open, where she lost to Wade in the second round. After that, she could hardly win a match, but she was always competitive for the most part. She played out the year in 1979 and called it quits. I've no idea whatever happened to her, although I think she may have wound up in the Chicago area for some reason.

As Preacherfan noted, we also can add Greer Stevens to the list of early retirements. Greer played long enough to buy a dairy farm and marry. That was her goal in tennis, at least by the time she returned to the tour after that ghastly knee injury in 1978. She returned to the tour an even better player than when she left. In only her second tournament back, she beat Chris Evert quite handidly in the first round of the Virginia Slims of Hollywood, Fla., right in Evert's backyard. Back then, nobody beat Chris Evert in south Florida. Greer continued to play amazingly well until she retired at the end of the 1980 season after reaching the quarterfinals of the Australian. By then, she should have had enough for the dairy farm and then some!

As has been well documented, Linky was my favorite by far, with Kruger and Kloss a distant second. And as far as retirements go, Linky's ranks up there as one of the best of all time, as she went out by winning a triple at her home championships, the South African Open: singles, doubles with Kloss and mixed with Colin Dowdeswell. It also probably went down as one of her bigger paydays as the South African was part of the new Colgate Series Tour that year, with a purse of $35,000 that included $6,000 for the singles title and a share of $3,000 for the doubles title, plus whatever mixed offered. I don't know the prize money for the U.S. Open in '76, but I'd be surprised if the doubles afforded the winning team more than $15,000! And as we all know, Boshoff and Kloss were the U.S. Open champs in 76, beating Olga Morozova and Virginia Wade in lopsided 6-1, 6-4 final.

Oh, and by the way Nicola, many thanks for the articles you shared with me!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:57 PM   #6
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I liked Greer Stevens and remember watching her win the Wimbledon mixed and being very taken with her attacking game . Apart from that Evert win (indoors?), she also pushed Navratilova extremely close a couple of times (Wimb 79 and Oz 80 if memory serves - any match reports, anyone?) and but for that knee injury may have gone on to greater things.

At the end of 79, there were no fewer than 6 South Africans in the top 50:
Stevens 12, Kruger 23, Harford 31 ,Kloss 42, Cuypers 43, Fairbank 50. Only the Americans had more.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:34 AM   #7
Jem

Hi, Andy T,

Greer's best tennis actually came after that knee injury and surgery. As noted earlier, she beat Evert in her second tournament back. Moreover, she managed to achieve a level of consistency, with solid wins, that had eluded her before the injury. She actually reached the top 10 in her last year on the tour, 1980, and qualified for the Avon championships in both 1979 and 1980. Also reached the quarterfinals at both Wimbledon and the Australian in 1980. I always believed that she was one of those players who benefitted from an injury, because it gave her a sense of perspective and understanding and even freedom to play that she might never have achieved otherwise. It was those same feelings that ultimately propelled her to an early retirement to pursue what really mattered most to her in life: husband and family.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:38 AM   #8
Jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
At the end of 79, there were no fewer than 6 South Africans in the top 50:
Stevens 12, Kruger 23, Harford 31 ,Kloss 42, Cuypers 43, Fairbank 50. Only the Americans had more.

Wow! That puts into perspective how well they were playing at the time, and to think most would be retired within a year or two! It's too bad the South Africans haven't been able to produce another great player since Coetzer, who I also greatly admired. (I think she maxed out her talent as much as any player ever.) With all the financial burdens in South Africa today and with the way the player training has transformed, the next great player may very well have to leave the country to develop. I had high hopes for Wesley Whitehouse, but he fizzled quickly.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM   #9
country flag Nicola

Nicola has disabled reputation
I have just read a nice story on Greer Stevens in a tennis magazine where she talks about the safari lodge they own and operate in Botswana (www.kwando.co.za). She says she has no regrets to have stopped playing so early and that she's had the best of lives, living in the nature with husband and kids.

I think Cuypers still lives in SA, she married Mr Ferreira (no relation to Wayne or Ellis) and she actually played the 1984 WTA events in Durban and Jo'burg, five years after retiring.

Annette van Zyl - du Plooy actually played until quite late. She made a comeback and won the SA Open in 1975 after first winning the title in 1963. She had a job at SATA but she resigned one or two years ago.

In the 1980s Elna Reinach was a favorite of mine. Nice style, smart player. She should have beaten Martina at Wimbledon one year when Martina was defending champion. Elna was 4-3 up and serving in the final set. Big choke. She also took Steffi to three sets at the US Open one year playing her slice forehand to Steffi's backhand. Very bizarre match to watch but Elna had a chance there. Her sister was a player too and she married Christo van Rensburg.
Nicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM   #10
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Nicola, in the WTA tour guides Annette van Zyl-du Plooy is given as one of the players who has the longest gap between titles because they don't count the several titles she picked up on the the sugar circuit in the mid 1970s. She occasionally ventured abroad as well I think. I will Pm you about a couple of those sugar circuit events I'm hunting for results from.

Nicola & Jem, thanks for the supplementary info on Stevens. In addition to those 6 in the top 50 in 79, there was also Yvonne Vermaak - a top 50 player in 78 & 80 who also did well at Wimbledon in the early 80s.

In a way South African women's tennis parallels the state of Australian women's tennis; both fell away during the 80s and we're still waiting for the revival.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Linky Boshoff

This brief article about Ilana Kloss mentions her winning the 1974 girls event. The picture though, is actually one taken at the 1976 US Open (notice the clay), where Boshoff and Kloss upset Morozova and Wade 6-1 7-6 to win the event.

Linky is on the right.

Important Women's Moments: 1974, Leading The Girls

By Nicholas J. Walz
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Celebrating both the 40th anniversary of equal prize money for men's and women's players at the US Open and the formation of the Women's Tennis Association, founded in 1973, USOpen.org is proud to present "40 Important Women's Moments in US Open History."
This look at some of the greatest achievements and accomplishments by women players from the last 40 years will run all the way to the 2013 US Open women's singles final, scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 8. To review our entire countdown of the 40 Important Women's Moments in US Open History, click here.
THE BUZZ: A lefty from Johannesburg, South Africa, Ilana Kloss made her mark in North America as an 18-year-old, claiming a 6-4, 6-3 final victory over future French Open champion Mima Jaušovec in the first-ever girls’ singles competition at the US Open.
THE IMPACT: The junior championship has been held by a “who’s who” of top tennis talents – winners of note among the women include future main draw champ Lindsay Davenport (1992), defending Wimbledon winner Marion Bartoli (2001) and last year’s finalist Victoria Azarenka (2005). For Kloss, it would be a fine introduction to the Open, and she would win a women’s doubles title with countrywoman Delina Boshoff two years later, on clay in 1976. Kloss would become a U.S. citizen in 1991 and lives in New York, serving as the CEO and Commissioner of the coed Mylan World TeamTennis summer league that in recent years has featured Venus Williams, John McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Martina Hingis and the Bryan brothers, Bob and Mike.
“For sure, it was a big deal for me,” said Kloss. “The thing I’ll always remember is that we played on the Forest Hills stadium court. At Wimbledon, the junior event is never on the main court.
“Growing up in South Africa, I loved America from the first day I got here. It was the ‘promised land,’ a place where I always dreamed of playing.”

THE QUESTION: Which current teenage star would you want to see win a US Open championship?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote