Chris Evert Thread - Page 157 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2341
country flag dwyerfan

dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Many act like Martina is way better due to the head to head. However the head to head is virtually equal, 43 to 37. They also played far more often when Martina was at her best than when Chris was. Chris was always 2nd best when Martina was on top. When Chris was on top Martina was only 2nd best for a bit, and usually was 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th best and not even making many finals.

Chris was way better against the field (excluding Martina) than Martina was vs the field (excluding the Chris) throughout their careers.
dwyerfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2342
country flag dwyerfan

dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light

When evaluating tennis greats the categories I look at most are:

Longevity
Consistency
Dominance
Versatility
Peak Level of play (subjective)
Total Accomplishments
Level of competition (subjective)

I would say Chris is the best ever in consistency by far. I would say she is the best in longevity apart from possibly Court and Serena. Certainly better than Graf or Navratilova. I would say she is the best ever in versatility apart from probably Graf. Peak level and play and dominance she isnt tops overall, but on clay she is perhaps greater than anyone on any surface in history. Level of competition she is overall probably the highest of anyone considering the strength of the 70s field, then facing peak Navratilova in the 80s. Total accomplishments she is way up there too, and she holds the Open Era record of most slams at 2 of the 4, the only one to do this.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #2343
country flag dwyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
I don't mean to be unkind, but the above quotes are very true and descrive ASV's game in a nutshell. You will notice that there is no mention of ASV actually going for shots: Chris is obviously doing all the shot-making, while ASV is just retrieving, retrieving, retrieving.

This also explains why ASV beat Graf the next year - she basically just kept returning the ball until her opponent missed. I think you can count on the fingers of one hand the times in her entire career when ASV actually took the initiative and tried to play a shot that was not passive.
The best and most agressive matches I ever saw Sanchez play were the 95 Wimbledon and 96 French finals vs Graf (even though she lost both), and the last 2 sets of the 94 U.S Open final vs Graf.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2344
country flag dwyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP View Post
Hey Doublefault My fave Chris match was when she beat Martina in the French 85- how couldn't it be. I also loved the USO 84 final, only because I was so excited that Chris had fianlly won a set against Martina, and looked like taking Martina to the brink for once. But boy, was I disappointed when she lost!

My fave match between Chris and Hana was the 85 USO semi, even though Chris lost- Luckily Hana went on to win in the final!!!
Interesting, why do you think the 85 U.S Open semi with Hana was your favorite match of theirs. Hana played great, but it was not one of Chris's best matches IMO. It wasnt like the final where Martina played her absolute best but still lost to on fire Hana narrowly.

My fave Chris vs Martina match was the 86 French Open final since after a bad 1st set Chris went into overdrive and proved beyond a doubt her best tennis > Martina's best on clay. The 85 French was dramatic and exciting but Chris's huge mental block vs Martina kept the match closer than it should have been that day.

The 84 U.S Open was depressing since Chris playing really well still lost to an error strewn Martina, and showed the huge obstacle Martina presented for her by then.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2345
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

The 7 time Roland Garros champion telling the story of her not being recognized by a RG security official...Quite funny. You can tell she's proud of her 7 titles.

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2346
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
The 7 time Roland Garros champion telling the story of her not being recognized by a RG security official...Quite funny. You can tell she's proud of her 7 titles.
LOL! I would have laughed if she had said "I was the Queen of Clay, unbeaten between 1973 and 1979", only for the official to get out a RG 1976 programme, followed by 1977, 1978..... Strange! No Chris Evert here! Maybe you didn't get through qualifying?!?
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2347
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyerfan View Post
When evaluating tennis greats the categories I look at most are:

Longevity
Consistency
Dominance
Versatility
Peak Level of play (subjective)
Total Accomplishments
Level of competition (subjective)

I would say Chris is the best ever in consistency by far. I would say she is the best in longevity apart from possibly Court and Serena. Certainly better than Graf or Navratilova. I would say she is the best ever in versatility apart from probably Graf. Peak level and play and dominance she isnt tops overall, but on clay she is perhaps greater than anyone on any surface in history. Level of competition she is overall probably the highest of anyone considering the strength of the 70s field, then facing peak Navratilova in the 80s. Total accomplishments she is way up there too, and she holds the Open Era record of most slams at 2 of the 4, the only one to do this.
Nice assessment. This is who I would put as No. 1 in each category:

Longevity - Serena
Consistency - Evert
Dominance - Navratilova
Versatility - Graf
Peak Level of play (subjective) - Serena
Total Accomplishments - Court
Level of competition (subjective) - Seles (early 90s)

This also rounds out the top 6 female players by slam count in the Open Era.
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM   #2348
country flag bionic71
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT_OVo2FC0c

Love the chat between Tracy and Chris at about 1.53 in this video.....

After Tracy mentions Evonne was her idol growing up, Chris pipes up and says "I thought I was your idol Tracy?, You kinda played like me, you certainly didn't play like Evonne....."

Last edited by bionic71 : Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: sp
bionic71 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2349
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT_OVo2FC0c

Love the chat between Tracy and Chris at about 1.53 in this video.....

After Tracy mentions Evonne was her idol growing up, Chris pipes up and says "I thought I was your idol Tracy?, You kinda played like me, you certainly didn't play like Evonne....."
--very funny.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2350
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

And Tracy hitting back : "Chris running out of the locker room withhh...some guy". The Evonne/Tracy/Chris exchange is THE highlight of the ceremony. Tracy is hilarious !
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2351
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
And Tracy hitting back : "Chris running out of the locker room withhh...some guy". The Evonne/Tracy/Chris exchange is THE highlight of the ceremony. Tracy is hilarious !
Tracy wrote about that in her autobiography and named the guy as Connors, I think due to recent events she chose to not name him.
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #2352
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute

And "Pam" is in a thread about Chris That makes everything just perfect What "recent events" would stop Tracy from naming Connors now? Especially since she already had the story in her autobiography?
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #2353
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

[quote=DollyRose;35995081]And "Pam" is in a thread about Chris That makes everything just perfect What "recent events" would stop Tracy from naming Connors now? Especially since she already had the story in her autobiography?[/quote

The 40th anniversary celebration took place during Wimbledon, the same time that Connors' book was released where he alleged that Chris had an abortion. It was not an appropriate time to be mentioning him, so Tracy wisely told the tale without saying who it was. Tracy's bio came out twenty years ago, so outside of Tracy and myself, I thoroughly doubt anyone remembers the story.
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #2354
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I read Jimmy's book and I don't recall him saying Chris ever had an abortion!
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #2355
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ved-other.html

If this is what you are talking about, I completely missed "the hint" in Jimmy's book.