Mirjana's fall 2013 campaign - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #16
country flag qwertytx

qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold
Re: Mirjana's fall 2013 campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
And lost 6 games in a row

36 61 16
She obviously doesn't get fired up to play these events like she does main tour matches. She should just quit entering them.
qwertytx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #17
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Again loses to lefty. First Safarova, then Hsu and now Simmonds.
ajmo! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #18
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
Again loses to lefty. First Safarova, then Hsu and now Simmonds.
Right you are -- I forgot that Simmonds was also a Southpaw.

Still, with the exception of Lucie, who can be said to have truly "beaten" Miki in their heartbreaker match, Hsu and Simmonds could have played with their racquets taped to their left LEGS and Miki still would not have won.

Those two creampuffs didn't beat Miki -- she beat herself.

Hope she finds some new inspiration soon or I can see her easily dropping out of the Top 200 within 8 or 9 months.

It's time to move on from the Prpic Experiment (News Flash: It Hasn't Worked -- she had better results with Jeff Russell in 2010) and retain the basic technical adjustments Prpic quite obviously instilled (or reminded her about) earlier in the year:

1. Hit with just a slight amount of extra spin on the groundies to maintain consistency without sacrificing depth or power.

2. Play the goddamned percentages, Mirjana, until you can open up the court for your money-shot and pull the trigger. Hit big, but for crying out loud hit crosscourt and make the girls play, especially on huge second-serve returns. Don't hit something down-the-line in an open stance when you're already 10 minutes late to the ball and then stand there looking completely astonished that the shot sprayed 15 feet wide of the doubles sideline and gave some poor old lady in the sixth row a concussion. Whatever you do, don't just throw-away your first or second balls in any point construct.

3. Use the big serve out wide in both deuce and ad-courts more often to set-up your kill-shot, and then play the percentages on THOSE, too.

4. Move more quickly to your crappy, mechanical backhand and hug it closer with full hip & shoulder torque and a touch of extra topspin and PLEASE go for the crosscourt percentage shot during a typical rally.

5. Breathe between points.

The rest is for a good sports shrink to fix. A top-notch guy like Allen Fox could do wonders for her.

Pull it together, Miki. There's still two years of potential improvement, but find a new rung on the ladder.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #19
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't entered any tournament in week from 14th October
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #20
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
Right you are -- I forgot that Simmonds was also a Southpaw.

Still, with the exception of Lucie, who can be said to have truly "beaten" Miki in their heartbreaker match, Hsu and Simmonds could have played with their racquets taped to their left LEGS and Miki still would not have won.

Those two creampuffs didn't beat Miki -- she beat herself.

Hope she finds some new inspiration soon or I can see her easily dropping out of the Top 200 within 8 or 9 months.

It's time to move on from the Prpic Experiment (News Flash: It Hasn't Worked -- she had better results with Jeff Russell in 2010) and retain the basic technical adjustments Prpic quite obviously instilled (or reminded her about) earlier in the year:

1. Hit with just a slight amount of extra spin on the groundies to maintain consistency without sacrificing depth or power.

2. Play the goddamned percentages, Mirjana, until you can open up the court for your money-shot and pull the trigger. Hit big, but for crying out loud hit crosscourt and make the girls play, especially on huge second-serve returns. Don't hit something down-the-line in an open stance when you're already 10 minutes late to the ball and then stand there looking completely astonished that the shot sprayed 15 feet wide of the doubles sideline and gave some poor old lady in the sixth row a concussion. Whatever you do, don't just throw-away your first or second balls in any point construct.

3. Use the big serve out wide in both deuce and ad-courts more often to set-up your kill-shot, and then play the percentages on THOSE, too.

4. Move more quickly to your crappy, mechanical backhand and hug it closer with full hip & shoulder torque and a touch of extra topspin and PLEASE go for the crosscourt percentage shot during a typical rally.

5. Breathe between points.

The rest is for a good sports shrink to fix. A top-notch guy like Allen Fox could do wonders for her.

Pull it together, Miki. There's still two years of potential improvement, but find a new rung on the ladder.
#2 is so important and easily fixable. Those second serve returns she hits. Yikes. I'm not so sure she should get rid of Prpic though. I mean, you can lead a horse to water, but the horse has to take the drink.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #21
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hasn't entered any tournament in week from 14th October
I saw that. That seems strange. Why go to France for one week then fly back when there is another indoor tournament close by she could play.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #22
ajmo!

Yes, or WTA luxembourg that is also close

No, she should not have any coach change. She's had enough of those. That brings confusion because every coach brings something new and is different to the previous.
Pripic is good, I'm just not sure he ws with her in New Mexico and Nevada.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #23
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes, or WTA luxembourg that is also close

No, she should not have any coach change. She's had enough of those. That brings confusion because every coach brings something new and is different to the previous.
Pripic is good, I'm just not sure he ws with her in New Mexico and Nevada.
Yeah, Prpic is very good (best coach she's had yet) and the little adjustments noticeable in her game early this year were his doing, surely. But he's not obviously getting through to her mentally, on these "big opportunity matches," the ones she hired him to help her win, which is not his fault. She has to listen and implement, and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Miki might be more than a little stubborn in certain ways -- a good part of stubbornness being manifested in her persistence with this comeback. For the record, I do think it's pretty significant that she has maintained a solid place in the 95-120 portion of the WTA Rankings since late 2010 without any of the truly wild fluctuations (or nosedives) we've seen from soooooooo many other girls who were in the same vicinity as her around the time she started getting things back in order.

That's a frankly impressive stat; I know it isn't the ranking region she wants to inhabit, but she hasn't tumbled dramatically.

Maybe it's better to say she ought to add the element of a sports psychologist who can truly unlock whatever in her brain is preventing her from closing out straightforward wins. It's a fixable thing -- athletes tap psychological resources all the time for similar situations and, perhaps, that's one area Prpic cannot help her with. Someone else might add that particular ingredient.

As for France, it does seem odd that she is not playing Limoges after Joue-les-Tours. Then again, maybe she is expecting/hoping to go deep in the first event and is planning on traveling by rail to save money between events, which is less speedy than air travel from municipality to municipality but generally much more economic over there. One would hope she entered Poitiers the week after. Maybe she did not want to commit to three consecutive weeks of play & travel, but wanted to guarantee at least a 50K and a 100K with a week of practice and down-time sandwiched in between. These indoor opportunities should not be sniffed at: her form could bounce back very quickly indoors and she needs a "bounce back" badly if she wants to book her spot in the Oz main draw for next year.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #24
ajmo!

Wonder which team will play in 2014: Jankovic/Srebotnik or Jankovic/Lucic.
Wouldn't balem JJ at all if she would play with Kata. She's such a great player, actually wish Mirjana would play with her.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM   #25
country flag mikireturns

SUPER-stacked field at the $100K in Poitiers, headed by Niculescu. Miki is entered ... in qualifying. Presently she is 10th in qualifying with a couple of MDOs ahead of her.

Apparently she is going to hit all of the French ITFs except Limoges. The $50K+H in Nantes would be a good choice the week after Poitiers, obviously. There's also the $75K at Barnstaple. But it's tough to guess what will work best for her schedule, logistically.

Not sure it matters, at this point. Right now, a really good run at any one of the Challenger-level events would do wonders. Solid performances at all of them would be wonderful.

Let's hope her game and her form reignite on the fast indoor courts & conditions, even against tough fields.
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #26
country flag qwertytx

qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold qwertytx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Wonder which team will play in 2014: Jankovic/Srebotnik or Jankovic/Lucic.
Wouldn't balem JJ at all if she would play with Kata. She's such a great player, actually wish Mirjana would play with her.
Jankovic/Srebotnik might not work out because Srebotnik makes all her prize money from doubles, whereas I don't think Jelena minds losing all that much because she is an excellent singles player who plays doubles for a little extra practice and prize money.
qwertytx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #27
country flag SERVivor

hope she takes advantage of these indoor conditions the next few weeks. She should at least do better than the last two u.s. ITF's. Of course, it would be hard for it to have been worse.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #28
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 6th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #29
ajmo!

(7)Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) v Julie Coin (FRA)
(wc)Laura Thorpe (FRA) v (wc)Amandine Hesse (FRA)
Stephanie Dubois (CAN) v Q
(3)Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO) v Diana Marcinkevica (LAT)
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #30
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

Please Miki. While Dubois is probably the best draw for Ana, I don't want her to play Miki this early...