OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #106
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
She's 19. It's ridiculous to be nay-saying at this stage in her career, panicking that Bouchard is going to be ranked higher than her. Whether or not she was fortunate to be seeded at a slam doesn't matter - she still had to earn the points, and it's *still* a milestone. Imagine her coach saying that? "Oh yeah that doesn't count Laura because a couple of people withdrew" - give me a break.

Anyway, you can say that she was only seeded because of her strong end to last year, but she wasn't seeded for the other slams this year. She still had to earn the extra points throughout the year, and even if Clijsters and Li are better wins than her wins this year (Clijsters no, Li yes), she's still added to her collection of scalps.

I don't think Laura is ever going to be consistent in the way Azarenka is. I see her more as a Kvitova - she has the game to win slams, but can also be atrocious. And if she ever wins a slam, she'll be an extraordinarily successful tennis player.
Stop using the 19 card. It's ridiculous. Laura's not a newcomer to anything anymore.

Genie and Keys have both overtaken her, which unlike Laura they seem to perform well outside of the slams too. They're both much stronger mentally too. Laura only seems to shows grit and determination when she plays a top player. She panicks loses focus when she's the favorite. She doesn't relish in the fact that "I'm ranked higher than you, so I'm gonna show you why" that's what's gonna hold her back. Mentally she's just not up there like the other girls.

Will be interesting to see how she responds in Beijing. That's if she cares..
Advertisement

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #107
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

"That's if she cares" - give me a break. It is important that she's 19, because she has a hell of a lot of time to grow and develop her game - including the mental side. You can't expect her to be perfect when she's only played two full years on tour. Just because other people of her age are developing differently, doesn't necessarily mean Laura is being left behind. You're all such a bunch of nay-sayers... taking the worst out of everything. Good job none of you are her coach.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #108

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

And when Laura's on, she plays tennis at a level above Bouchard, Keys, Svitolina and even Stephens. Laura's game is what marks her out - it's massive. If she catches fire, she can take it to anyone. Mentality, consistency, fitness etc. they can be improved upon, you can grow them, but Laura's game can't be taught. She's nowhere near the peak of her power, either. Have a bit of faith, for goodness' sake. If I wanted to see unrelenting, hyperbolic criticism of Laura, I'd go to GM.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #109
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
"That's if she cares" - give me a break. It is important that she's 19, because she has a hell of a lot of time to grow and develop her game - including the mental side. You can't expect her to be perfect when she's only played two full years on tour. Just because other people of her age are developing differently, doesn't necessarily mean Laura is being left behind. You're all such a bunch of nay-sayers... taking the worst out of everything. Good job none of you are her coach.
What? She's shown nothing that she cares about winning outside of the slams. Her on court attitude is awful outiside slams. She's just not mature enough, similar to what Krajan has been saying, she has no intensity in the non slam events or playing someone lower ranked/close in rank to her.

The ranking distribution has been changed for 2014. So performance in smaller tournaments will be more crucial for a good rank.

It's all fact. Laura needs to wake up fairly soon. It would be a shame if she doesn't put her talent to good use.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #110

All I'm saying is that you're acting like Laura has had some sort of horrific year and made no progress, when that just isn't true. That she reached a career high ranking is indicative of progress in itself. I refuse to look at only the negatives, as you all seem to be doing, and further to that, temper my immediate expectations. Health willing, she has got plenty of time left to achieve what we want her to achieve.

As for bringing more intensity to slams than the rest of the tour... well dur. Most players do. Sloane is lauded as the leader of the next generation, and that's essentially her modus operandi. I'm entirely confident that an improvement in this attitude will come with age and maturity. I don't care if you don't like me mentioning her age, because it is extremely relevant - she has plenty of time to mature in the way you want her to, and I refuse to condemn her for not yet being the finished product.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #111
Royals.

I understand where you're coming from, I don't criticise Laura for not being a finished product. She has a long way to go. But reverting back to her grumpy "I don't care anymore" attitude isn't needed right now. She's had a few matches where she's dug deep and got the win this year (Rybarikova in Madrid, Morita in Carlsbad) there was no need to give up in that match on Monday.

It just felt like a complete U turn. In my opinion.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #112

Or a blip? I think it's too early to say that she's done a complete U-turn on any improvement she's made.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #113
country flag jay holter

jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of

It's just a lack of mettle and confidence at the moment. Really sad to watch, because you just know how good she can be, how talented she is, if only she just had more belief in her abilities.

She's just so much better than the players she's lost to like Zheng Jie and Ayumi Morita, she shouldn't be afraid because she's the favorite, she should cherish the opportunity to go to town on those two in the way players like Serena and Azarenka do.

I am confident this is all just a small blip in her career, I just think she's too talented for it not to be, and she's shown us all just enough mettle in the big matches against big players for us to believe that she can have a very successful career.
jay holter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #114
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

did she ask a wildcard to osaka?
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #115
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloy4dAustin View Post
did she ask a wildcard to osaka?
Can't understand why she would want to stay out in the far east when there is a nice indoor tournament at Linz going on. Indoors with no wind, perfect bounce and no humid sweaty matches.

Apart from photos with local youngsters, for a 1 week tournament I don't think there is much compensation in cultural encounters out there and not many cuddly encounters like the Koala bears & kangaroos in Oz either.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #116
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post
Can't understand why she would want to stay out in the far east when there is a nice indoor tournament at Linz going on. Indoors with no wind, perfect bounce and no humid sweaty matches.

Apart from photos with local youngsters, for a 1 week tournament I don't think there is much compensation in cultural encounters out there and not many cuddly encounters like the Koala bears & kangaroos in Oz either.
yes,i think linz and luxembourg is more suitable for her
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #117
country flag RobCic

RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all

Happy she decided to take a WC at all, whichever tournament it is. Although this year hasn't lived up to expectations it's not been a disaster. The one thing I think we all thought was that she'd win her maiden title.

Who knows it could still happen in Osaka which would then be rechristened the BRITISH OPEN . Seems unlikely given Laura's form though. Definitely redeem her year completely if she did especially with Sofia on the cards then. Guess I can keep dreaming....
RobCic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #118
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Laura has good draws to close out the season. Her season was derailed somewhat by that injury. But that doesn't totally excuse her lack of progress. Genie is the anti-Laura in terms of how their careers have been managed. And that's reflected in their results and their attitudes.

I blame the UK media for creating the appetite for a big result without emphasizing that its the day-to-day consistency and foundational work that makes it possible.
Tampering is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #119
Royals.

BEIJING DRAW.

[3] A.Radwanska vs Voegele
Keys vs Cibulkova
Q vs Puig
Penneta vs [14] Ivanovic
[10] Vinci vs Svitolina
Zhang vs Peng
Zakopalova vs Robson
BYE vs [7] Kerber

Try your best
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #120
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I think she can beat Zakopalova & Think she has a good chance beating Kerber if she on her A game

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote