OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM   #91
country flag RobCic

RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all
Re: OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread

I'm not really more worried than before. Although she hasn't progressed much in terms of play, her ranking's still higher. It felt more like a survival year and she has gained a lot of experience. Like before i'm just really worried about movement though. I feel like that is the only thing holding her back in tennis but not sure if its something she can improve much. If she had a bit more time a lot of rushed shots with arms stretched would become bombs!
RobCic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM   #92
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

One of her worst losses of the year. And that's really saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATson View Post
Although she hasn't progressed much in terms of play, her ranking's still higher.
She'll finish this year ranked lower than last year if she doesn't defend her Beijing and Osaka points.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #93
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Well, I'm glad I stayed asleep, rather than watching the match. Probably would have annoyed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Yeah it seems like it. Her and Watson( I know she was sick) didn't progress this year
I disagree about Laura's progression, to an extent. She's been doing a lot of the same things that drove us mad last year, but where previously she wilted under pressure at times she's done better at the big events and has come through some hard matches where she was playing poorly. It's slow progress, but it's progress none the less.

Heather, yeah this has been a terrible year for her.

Quote:
I'm not really more worried than before. Although she hasn't progressed much in terms of play, her ranking's still higher. It felt more like a survival year and she has gained a lot of experience. Like before i'm just really worried about movement though. I feel like that is the only thing holding her back in tennis but not sure if its something she can improve much. If she had a bit more time a lot of rushed shots with arms stretched would become bombs!
Bullshit. Laura will never move like Steffi or Kim, but if she put in the hard graft she could move a lot better. There's no such thing as not being able to improve something. Doing so requires hard work, commitment to improving it but it can always be done. The question is, whether Laura is willing to do stuff she doesn't enjoy because it's what she needs to do to reach the next level.

There is such a thing as it not being worthwhile to improve something, or it being more worthwhile to improve something else but most of us can agree Laura being able to play more balls from better positions would be good for her.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #94
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What do you mean you're not worried? She should be winning these types of matches fairly easy now. We're coming up to the end of the season and as Dawson said she could finish the year ranked lower than last. She's going to end the year on a low, although this season has been up and down. Ending the season like this is not ideal.

Having a good run in Asia would have been perfect, it'd make this season somewhat successful.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM   #95
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyElectric. View Post
What do you mean you're not worried? She should be winning these types of matches fairly easy now. We're coming up to the end of the season and as Dawson said she could finish the year ranked lower than last. She's going to end the year on a low, although this season has been up and down. Ending the season like this is not ideal.
What good does worrying do? Laura will finish where she finishes and hopefully she'll learn from this shit and work hard in the off season. Of course we'll probably be having this discussion next season as well.

If Laura ends the season in the same/a worse place than she ended it last year it's what she deserved to have. Just like last year she had a few good performances at tournaments while dropping out early at every other. We can reassure ourselves that Laura's got months where she's defending no points, but let's face it, there's a reason for that. She's got no week to week consistency (or at least no week to week consistently good) and that's fucking annoying when you're supposed to be one of the 50 best players in the world.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM   #96
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

Laura is nearly 20 years old and the way she is playing, she won't hang on to the 'highest ranked teenager' until her birthday. She has 1 minor WTA final to her name and not a single tournament win. Ignoring the exceptional top girls such as Serena & Maria who won big tournaments as young teenagers, even the second rank players like Wozniaki, Ivanovic & Safina (remember her?) were way ahead of Laura in WTA performances at 20 (ish).

Obviously to make it past the QF of a slam Laura needs to make major improvements all round but for the relatively minor tournaments such as Guangzhou (especially with such a weak entry this year), Laura's best or nearly best game should be good enough to win. Unfortunately, to win even a minor tournament you have to play good tennis for 5 matches in a row and Laura can't even manage 4 good performances in a row, hence my assertion a while ago that Laura never seems to play well and lose. Against the top players you can be forgiven for appearing to play badly because they will be dominating and tear your game apart but Laura even manages to play badly against opponents ranked 50 - 100 places below her.

A worrying trend to appear is that when Laura plays someone for the second time, they seem to do better, win more easily or reverse an earlier defeat. Having been surprised by Laura's type of game in the first meeting, they (or the coach) spot Laura's weaknesses and play on them from the start. Even matches when Laura's game seems to disintegrate after a good start could be due not to Laura suddenly being unable to hit the ball in the centre of the racquet but the opponent making her play more of the shots she is poor at, such as wide down the wings.

As well as a get out of gaol (jail) shot when stretched, she needs to develop some high percentage and low risk defence to work her way back into the rallies when under pressure. Without this, no matter how much she practices her attacking shots, decent opponents will always find a way to work the ball onto her areas of weakness.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #97
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

How can people say she hasn't progressed this year? She was seeded for the first time at a grand slam, and added to her collection of big wins numerous times (Kvitova, Radwanska, Kirilenko). Being seeded at a major is a career milestone.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #98
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
How can people say she hasn't progressed this year? She was seeded for the first time at a grand slam, and added to her collection of big wins numerous times (Kvitova, Radwanska, Kirilenko). Being seeded at a major is a career milestone.
But that seeding was largely based on her results from the end of last year. Without those points, she's out of the top 50. And are her wins over Kvitova and Kirilenko this year more impressive than her wins over Clijsters and Li last year? I don't think so.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:56 PM   #99
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson. View Post
But that seeding was largely based on her results from the end of last year. Without those points, she's out of the top 50. And are her wins over Kvitova and Kirilenko this year more impressive than her wins over Clijsters and Li last year? I don't think so.
Exactly my thoughts, she collected a bulk of points last year which enabled her to remain around the Top 50/40 mark and the seeding was mainly due to Bartoli's retirement and Sharapova withdrawing.. she just hung on to it.

The slumping period was acceptable as she was just finding form. But now? There's no excuse.

As I said before all those losses should have gave her a wake up call and it's made no difference. She's back to where she was again earlier this year. Morita was on a losing streak and this was her first match back since New Haven. If Laura had great court mentality she would make Morita stay out there longer, not sulk and give the match away so easily. (second set)

She needs to change her attitude on court first of all. The more she sulks and moans, the better for her opponent. She's had periods of progression throughout the summer but she should be playing good tennis right now. Use all those losses as experience, but Laura doesn't seem the type to learn from her mistakes.

Maybe when Genie overtakes her in the rankings she may care. She's got a WC into Osaka too. Not sure if that'll make a difference though.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #100
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
Well, I'm glad I stayed asleep, rather than watching the match. Probably would have annoyed me.

I disagree about Laura's progression, to an extent. She's been doing a lot of the same things that drove us mad last year, but where previously she wilted under pressure at times she's done better at the big events and has come through some hard matches where she was playing poorly. It's slow progress, but it's progress none the less.

Heather, yeah this has been a terrible year for her.

Bullshit. Laura will never move like Steffi or Kim, but if she put in the hard graft she could move a lot better. There's no such thing as not being able to improve something. Doing so requires hard work, commitment to improving it but it can always be done. The question is, whether Laura is willing to do stuff she doesn't enjoy because it's what she needs to do to reach the next level.

There is such a thing as it not being worthwhile to improve something, or it being more worthwhile to improve something else but most of us can agree Laura being able to play more balls from better positions would be good for her.
I meant a big leap forward(solid top 30, winning a title...). Of course she played better this year than 2/3 of 2012
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #101
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyElectric. View Post
Exactly my thoughts, she collected a bulk of points last year which enabled her to remain around the Top 50/40 mark and the seeding was mainly due to Bartoli's retirement and Sharapova withdrawing.. she just hung on to it.

The slumping period was acceptable as she was just finding form. But now? There's no excuse.

As I said before all those losses should have gave her a wake up call and it's made no difference. She's back to where she was again earlier this year. Morita was on a losing streak and this was her first match back since New Haven. If Laura had great court mentality she would make Morita stay out there longer, not sulk and give the match away so easily. (second set)

She needs to change her attitude on court first of all. The more she sulks and moans, the better for her opponent. She's had periods of progression throughout the summer but she should be playing good tennis right now. Use all those losses as experience, but Laura doesn't seem the type to learn from her mistakes.

Maybe when Genie overtakes her in the rankings she may care. She's got a WC into Osaka too. Not sure if that'll make a difference though.
Humm she still would have been seeded, she was #32 after Cincinnati
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #102
country flag RobCic

RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all RobCic is a name known to all

I just wanted to state that I didn't say I wasn't worried. Just not anymore so than before. I believe she has improved mentally (although not physically) and a match like this cannot be the deciding factor on her fighting spirit.

Also I do believe she can improve movement and I really want her to. Not just moving but also ROS and positioning when her own serve is returned to her. Everything to do with speed really! I state that in practically every post about Laura lol because it feels to me like the main thing she needs to get all the parts in place.
In my previous post I just mentioned that I don't know if its something she can improve much. Meaning drastic improvement. Not like Stephens or anything but just be average/bit above average. It could be that it takes her much more work to be slightly fitter/faster than it does others. I actually hope she isn't a good mover because she doesn't work hard much more than because she isn't able to or it is too hard for her.
E.g. Taylor Townsend looks much more unfit than Laura who actually looks quite healthy. Even then from watching her, she looks faster than Robson.

Totally agree with people finding out Laura's weaknesses and winning more easily though. Something else to think about unfortunately. Mainly backhand and movement is the target. Only reason backhand is exposed is because of movement. When it comes to forehand she can still produce shots on the run but its much harder for her with the backhand.

Also I'm not completely sure on this one but I don't think she's using the lefty serve for all its worth. Watching Kerber, she doesn't put as much pace it seems but really gets the swing out wide taking the opponent out of court and being there ready to deliver the return (if it is returned) to the other side of the court for a winner. This is a really useful play for Robson in my opinion and so badly want her to use it more.
RobCic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #103
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

She's 19. It's ridiculous to be nay-saying at this stage in her career, panicking that Bouchard is going to be ranked higher than her. Whether or not she was fortunate to be seeded at a slam doesn't matter - she still had to earn the points, and it's *still* a milestone. Imagine her coach saying that? "Oh yeah that doesn't count Laura because a couple of people withdrew" - give me a break.

Anyway, you can say that she was only seeded because of her strong end to last year, but she wasn't seeded for the other slams this year. She still had to earn the extra points throughout the year, and even if Clijsters and Li are better wins than her wins this year (Clijsters no, Li yes), she's still added to her collection of scalps.

I don't think Laura is ever going to be consistent in the way Azarenka is. I see her more as a Kvitova - she has the game to win slams, but can also be atrocious. And if she ever wins a slam, she'll be an extraordinarily successful tennis player.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #104
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post

I don't think Laura is ever going to be consistent in the way Azarenka is. I see her more as a Kvitova
- she has the game to win slams, but can also be atrocious. And if she ever wins a slam, she'll be an extraordinarily successful tennis player.
the problem is she is not as consistent as Azarenka,and she is not as powerful as Kvitova.
she is kind of in a awkward situation.i thought she is British Kvitova or Ivanovic before,but she has showed us that she isn't as determined as those ballbasher,neither as skillful as aga,genie.
i'm really worring for her
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #105
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

i still don't know why you guys think she has been improved mentally this.i think she easily become nervous when she is up,easily become frustrated when her opponent fight back.
how to explain those 3rd set collapse?how to explain that lose against Ivanovic in Madrid when she is 5-2 up in the 3rd set?how to explain that in almost morita's serve game,when the score is 30-30,then she usually lose the next two point?
unlike stephens,svitolina,bouchard,she don't know how to seize the change to push herself into a whole new level.i still think if she seize that chance in madrid beating Ivanovic,she then should beat Kerber into SF,i think it will make a hugh difference of her career.the same situation is the 3rd set in Guangzhou final last year.
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote