Music Thread - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM   #151
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Big fan of Sign 'O' the Times, eh? Now I am picturing you staring into a mirror singing "Hot Thing" and "U Got the Look" to yourself.

The cover of Chaos and Disorder is my avatar. It was one of his contractual obligation albums but it was also the first album of his that I heard so I have a soft spot for it. The first half is one of his most "rock" sides (lots of loud guitar). If you like "rock" Prince it is worth a listen. I missed out on him during the eighties and since I became a fan in 1996 that is an era I have a lot of love for even if it was kind of the beginning of the end. I'm curious, what was the last Prince album that you heard?

This may cause you to throw rotten fruit/vegetables at me but I have never heard a Talking Heads album. I have always meant to get into them but haven't managed it yet.

Would you have liked Self Portrait as a single album or is it unsalvageable to you? Kind of odd that New Morning sounds as cohesive as it does since it was partially made up of "rejects" from Self Portrait. The quality of the live disc is quite good, both in sound and performance. Two songs left and then it is on to the outtakes.
Self Portrait is unsalvageable for me. A single album would have been better just because it would mean there was less of it. I don't rank New Morning as one of his masterpieces, but it's definitely much better.

Emancipation is actually the last Prince album I bought.

Talking Heads is a band I got into relatively late. That is, I had a few of their albums and liked them ok when I listened to them. But they didn't stand out as big faves of mine and I even found David Byrne's voice kind of annoying. But a year or two ago they (for whatever reason) all of a sudden clicked with me and now I can't get enough of them. Bought all the albums I didn't yet have and even the concert dvd's.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM   #152
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished the Another Self Portrait box. I liked it but, at least for me, the two discs of outtakes were good but not great. If you don't like Self Portrait, well, this is pretty much just more of the same.

Chrissie-fan, I found a cheap copy of the Sand in the Vaseline anthology on Amazon so I will soon hear at least some of Remain in Light.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #153
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just finished the Another Self Portrait box. I liked it but, at least for me, the two discs of outtakes were good but not great. If you don't like Self Portrait, well, this is pretty much just more of the same.

Chrissie-fan, I found a cheap copy of the Sand in the Vaseline anthology on Amazon so I will soon hear at least some of Remain in Light.
Thanks for telling me about the Dylan box set.

I hope you like the TH compilation. The hardest thing to get over is David Byrne's voice, at least it was for me. But once you manage to do that the're great and quite funky as well.

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #154
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Thanks for telling me about the Dylan box set.

I hope you like the TH compilation. The hardest thing to get over is David Byrne's voice, at least it was for me. But once you manage to do that the're great and quite funky as well.
I don't think his voice will be a problem for me. Billy Corgan is hardly a traditional type of singer and I love the Smashing Pumpkins. I'm more song oriented than voice oriented. Otherwise I would be a massive Celine Dion fan.

Is there anything specific that you have in heavy rotation at the moment? Have you made any new discoveries or have you rediscovered any old favourites?

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #155
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I don't think his voice will be a problem for me. Billy Corgan is hardly a traditional type of singer and I love the Smashing Pumpkins. I'm more song oriented than voice oriented. Otherwise I would be a massive Celine Dion fan.
I doubt it. Celine has a great voice indeed, but I don't consider her a great singer. If that doesn't sound quite logical I'd say that she is like someone who can't fiddle but has a Stradivarius. Someone like Celine communicates nothing beyond "just listen what a great voice I have" but there are countless singers who's voice is a lesser instrument who are far better singers in terms of communicating the lyrical and emotional content of a song.

Quote:
Is there anything specific that you have in heavy rotation at the moment? Have you made any new discoveries or have you rediscovered any old favourites?
I'm currently working my way through two box sets from legendary jazz singers. The 48 (!!!) disc Ella Fitzgerald compilation "First Lady of Song" and Billie Holiday's "Lady Day" - a 10 cd set of her early recordings (1933-1944) which still are her best work in my opinion (late Billie with the declining voice is painful to listen to in my opinion). Both very cheap purchases that I found on Amazon with (for the time of course) great sound quality. Now THESE two were TRULY great singers.

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM   #156
country flag DownInAHole

Interesting timing. I recently got a new job which requires me to drive much of the day and I am listening to Ella's Verve recordings (currently I am up to the four disc version of the Gershwin Songbook). I don't have that particular box set but I do have some of it (the Verve recordings). I still haven't gone before or after her Verve years but I am eventually going to buy this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Mas...itzgerald+1935

It is "only" fourteen discs but I believe that it contains just about all of her pre Verve recordings. The sound may be a little rough but at that price it is impossible to say "no."

I have that Billie Holiday box but I haven't yet found the time to listen to it. I did recently acquire her Decca/Commodore recordings on this collection:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Com...+Holiday+Decca

and I was impressed with it. I think the only late period Billie that I have heard is on the At Newport album (which is split between Billie, Ella and Carmen McRae). She definitely sounded very rough on it.

I'm also trying to find some Sarah Vaughan discs but much of her catalogue seems to be out of print. There was a recent box set of her jazz recordings circa 1954-1958 but I haven't picked it up yet:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Divine-Album...ah+Vaughan+box

Heh, we seem to have fairly similar taste in music.

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #157
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Interesting timing. I recently got a new job which requires me to drive much of the day and I am listening to Ella's Verve recordings (currently I am up to the four disc version of the Gershwin Songbook). I don't have that particular box set but I do have some of it (the Verve recordings). I still haven't gone before or after her Verve years but I am eventually going to buy this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Mas...itzgerald+1935

It is "only" fourteen discs but I believe that it contains just about all of her pre Verve recordings. The sound may be a little rough but at that price it is impossible to say "no."

I have that Billie Holiday box but I haven't yet found the time to listen to it. I did recently acquire her Decca/Commodore recordings on this collection:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Com...+Holiday+Decca

and I was impressed with it. I think the only late period Billie that I have heard is on the At Newport album (which is split between Billie, Ella and Carmen McRae). She definitely sounded very rough on it.

I'm also trying to find some Sarah Vaughan discs but much of her catalogue seems to be out of print. There was a recent box set of her jazz recordings circa 1954-1958 but I haven't picked it up yet:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Divine-Album...ah+Vaughan+box

Heh, we seem to have fairly similar taste in music.
Yes, it's a relieve to find someone at TF who's not a Rihanna nut.

I like the content of that Holiday box set. I have another one that covers the same period. 40's Billie is still very good in my opinion. 50's Billie is a disaster though. At least for me because opinion is not unanimous on that.

One from Sarah Vaughan that you might consider is her edition on the "eight classic albums" series (see below).

There are other similar box sets available from the likes of Peggy Lee, Dinah Washington, Anita O'Day and other important jazz and/or "traditional pop" singers. Also lots of jazz instrumentalists - Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington and so on.

One of the positive things about the demise of the cd for fanatics like us is that you now can buy lots of great recordings for relatively little money.

Old Sep 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #158
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

What a bout songs about Caroline or girls with that name - here is the latest: Status Quo - Looking for Caroline:

Extracts from the lyrics:
Looking out for a girl named Caroline
The kind of girl everybody like to meet
Standing there like she couldn't care
Hoping her heart never missed a beat

She got her look and you know that it's always there
I wouldn't have it any other way
Fact is you can take her anywhere
There is no reason but I gotta say

She's your very best friend
When you're digging in a hole
She'd read a good book
But she loves her rock and roll
You say what you want
But she's gonna take control
Caroline
, you know, got a lot of soul

Gotta run, gotta hide, get outside of town
Somewhere we go she isn't far behind
Seems like another day in paradise
Another day for me to lose my mind
Now she'd be there, anywhere, didn't have a chance
And I believe everybody knows
She is the girl that you can't ignore
And isn't that the way it always goes?

The last must be Rorys saying
Who show the next one?
Hoergren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #159
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I just posted the post below at another forum. Subject was "favorite singers", so I figured I might just as well post it here also.

I think there's a difference between favorite (as in "best") singers and favorite artists. That is, if someone is a favorite singer he or she automatically is also a favorite artist. But someone who is a favorite artist may also be so because of different aspects of his or her artistry that goes beyond the the singing or the sound of his or her voice.

I'm a big opera lover and my favorite voice type has always been the soprano, and especially the lyric soprano. I can just wallow in the creamy beauty of voices like the ones from Renée Fleming and Kiri Te Kanawa. I also love Mirella Freni who for me is "the best" or most moving Puccini singer ever. Even late in life she was still utterly convincing singing roles of women forty years younger than her.

Of the men I like Luciano Pavarotti, but only for his singing. As an opera "on stage actor" he was a disaster of the "park and bark" type. Basically a statue who's acting limited itself to opening his mouth and looking into the distance to express distress or smiling to show that he's happy or in love. Still, his voice was such an incredible instrument that it hardly matters. Rolando Villazon is my favorite young-ish tenor. His enthusiasm is almost impossible to resist, especially when he sings/plays opposite the super gorgeous (and great) Anna Netrebko. He's both moving and funny. There's definitely something Chaplin-esque about him. Placido Domingo is of course one of the all time greats. His longevity and his range of roles is simply incredible. I also love Nicolai Ghiaurov's bass voice. He's not with us anymore, but he was Mirella Freni's husband. But I could go on and on because the standard that is recquired to make it in opera is such there is no such thing as a poor opera singer who's made it - leaving aside a few crossover singers who are not "real" opera singers to begin with.

I also love many jazz and "traditional pop" singers such as Billie Holiday (up to and including the 1940's, I'm not a big fan of the late "voice in shatters" version), Frank Sinatra, June Christy, Sarah Vaughan and Peggy Lee. Peggy Lee is one of the most undemonstrative "less is more" but nevertheless also sexy vocalists in any genre that I have ever heard. She oozes class and I simply adore her.

In more contemporary popular music I love soul singers such as Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and many others. Dusty Springfield is another one I love. I like her singing so much that I own all of her albums - even the mediocre ones just because I love that husky, yearning, sexy voice so much. In country music I like Patsy Cline (best country singer ever imo) and Alison Krauss.

And then there's Linda Ronstadt - incredible voice and the most versatile singer I know. Rock, pop, country, bluegrass, mariachi, jazz standards, operetta - Ronstadt has done it all and she never embarrased herself with any of it. A few weeks ago I heard that Linda is suffering from Parkinsons desease and that we will never hear her sing again. Therefore I would like to close this post with a clip of of the incredible miss Ronstadt. Not any one video can do justice to her talent because she has done so many different things so well. But I haven't chosen one of the more obvious pop, rock or country hits that most will already be familiar with anyway. Instead I've gone for a bit of Mariachi music.

I've just realized that considering the clips I've chosen that I must have a strong preference for female singers. Perhaps I do, but there's plenty of guys I like as well though. Perhaps next time.

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #160
country flag DownInAHole

I'm still waiting on the Sand in the Vaseline compilation but I picked up a couple of Talking Heads live albums (The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads and Stop Making Sense) and I am enjoying them. I didn't think they had this much funk in their sound, I guess I thought they were more "art rock."

Maybe I am hearing something that isn't there but it seems like they may have been an influence on Prince. Up to about 1985 he had a relatively small band (five members, excluding himself) but with the Parade tour he added horns, a second guitarist and backing vocalists kind of how the Talking Heads augmented their sound circa 1980-1981.

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #161
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When reading an online article about Caroline I saw a link to another article - "Linda Ronstadt diagnosed with Parkinsons." Shocking. A reminder how quickly time flies. In the days of my youth Linda was one of the best looking women in music. For my taste her only real competition in that regard was Stevie Nicks and the blonde one from Abba. But more important than that, she had an absolutely stunning voice that allowed her to sing virtually any genre without embarrassing herself. She's been the most versatile singer I know. But in terms of critical approval this versatility has hurt her somewhat. She doesn't conveniently fit into any particular box. Nevertheless, it's hard not to rate that incredible voice and the range of her artistry.

Traditional pop/jazz

Adult pop ballad

Rock

Operetta

Few others besides the Stones themselves could do justice to this one like Linda does here imo. Kicks some serious ass.

Mariachi music

Country

I never cared for Linda Ronstadt but I do like the one you posted Sky Lark.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #162
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
I never cared for Linda Ronstadt but I do like the one you posted Sky Lark.
She has done so many things well in so many different genres that it's almost impossible to dislike everything.

Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #163
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm still waiting on the Sand in the Vaseline compilation but I picked up a couple of Talking Heads live albums (The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads and Stop Making Sense) and I am enjoying them. I didn't think they had this much funk in their sound, I guess I thought they were more "art rock."

Maybe I am hearing something that isn't there but it seems like they may have been an influence on Prince. Up to about 1985 he had a relatively small band (five members, excluding himself) but with the Parade tour he added horns, a second guitarist and backing vocalists kind of how the Talking Heads augmented their sound circa 1980-1981.
I suppose they were, but perhaps to call them "art funk" would be more appropriate. Perhaps they had some influence on Prince although I think that Sly & the Family Sone, Funkadelic and Graham Central Station were more obvious influences. I think there's a "world music" component about Talking Heads as well.

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #164
country flag Yksi

Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nice song!

I like this more recent version with Diana Krall:

Yksi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #165
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Since we were talking music (or lack thereof ) in the other thread.

From Linkin Park's new album 'The Hunting Party' ...

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote