Rumored Format Changes - 2013 Edition - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #16
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation
Re: Rumored Format Changes - 2013 Edition

I have an idea

Ask the student-athletes.... they will blow this idea up.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #17
country flag beachman49

And this stupid new scoring system strikes in just the 3rd/4th match of the season nationally

First Nevada falls to Hawaii 5-2 where the top two matches go directly to super tie break third sets rather than playing them out... Hawaii wins each narrowly.

Next day

Nevada upsets ranked SJ State 4-3.... where THREE singles matches go direct to super tie breaks rather than playing them out.... Nevada wins all three.

This format is no longer about fitness or talent, it's about a lucky 10 pt tie breaker. Even a Nadal or Serena could lost 10 pts but not sets.

What's next, in college baseball when they get to the 6th inning everyone only gets 2 strikes or 3 balls?

Thank you NCAA and the boneheads at USTA who are pushing this ridiculous system.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #18
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

So how will teams adjust to compensate for the new match-shortening rules? One possible answer...schedule more double headers! Of course we saw the beginnings of this trend last season with teams needing to scrape together enough wins to get over .500 for NCAA eligibility, but with players possibly needing 2 matches to work up a sweat under the new rules, no doubt we will see more and more of this.

Arkansas got their season off to a rousing start this past weekend with a 4-2, 4-3 doubleheader sweep of Wichita State: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/Vi...DB_OEM_ID=6100
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #19
country flag beachman49

If you are a (lazy) coach who is trying to shorten your work day by doing this, why would you schedule two matches?

USF beat Sac State on the same this week and UW beat LB State on the same last week. In both cases multiple second sets to Sac State and LB... only to have the opponent win these ridiculous super tie breaks that then decide the entire dual match in about 15 minutes. All the momentum was with Sac State and LB with convincing 2nd set wins... then 'lets play 10 points' to decide the dual match.

If the REALLY want to shorten matches and make them fan friendly, just stop at 4 points like they are currently stopping doubles at the point.

I hear the Pac 12 is adamantly opposed to this. I fear coaches at lesser programs will support to either shorten day or maybe create these upsets like soccer teams play for ties and hope for penalty kicks.

Wait till a USC, UCLA, Stanford, Miami, Duke, etc... lose a fluke.

Thank god this experiment ends Feb 10... until the USTA and the NCAA rep try to push it in permanently.