$25,000 Podgorica (MNE) 2013 | Sep 09 (Winner: Stephanie Vogt) - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #76
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: $25,000 Podgorica (MNE) 2013 | Sep 09 (Winner: Stephanie Vogt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
I don't really understand why a player who won a $100K tournament a couple of months ago comes down to Montenegro to vulture a $25K when there are several WTA tournaments at the same time
Because she won the 100K by fluke and actually isn't good enough to play hardcourt WTA events I think its smart for when her 100K points come off And until last week she had been in very average form

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #77
country flag christina_fl

christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
Because she won the 100K by fluke and actually isn't good enough to play hardcourt WTA events I think its smart for when her 100K points come off And until last week she had been in very average form
Well said! That's exactly it! Her level is not a 100k winner (yet)... And she is not consistent. I wouldn't have wondered if she would have lost first round here...

Anyway, her new coach seems to do a good job, she is improving and is finally winning some important matches. Maybe she is finally where she was supposed to be a few years ago already...

Therefore: congratulations Steff, way to go!!
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #78
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina_fl View Post
Well said! That's exactly it! Her level is not a 100k winner (yet)...
And which player in Seoul qualifying has a $100K winner level? She still would be better than most of the field there and the point is to progress and try to play bigger events not go vulture cheap points in the Balkans IMO
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #79
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the decision is easy between very likely 50 pts and very likely loss in WTA q all the way in Asia
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #80
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petkorazzi View Post
I think the decision is easy between very likely 50 pts and very likely loss in WTA q all the way in Asia
Sure. But then you see her lose against the likes of Savchuk 63 60 in first round of USO qualies last month.

Same applies for Pereira. The easy thing is to vulture cheap points in $25K clay tournaments instead of going to Asia. Then she got humilliated in first round USO qualies too.

I guess it is a matter of priorities but I don't think this is the right thing to do if you try to become something remotely significant at WTA level (which in the end I guess that is the ultimate goal for every player)
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #81
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure. But then you see her lose against the likes of Savchuk 63 60 in first round of USO qualies last month.

Same applies for Pereira. The easy thing is to vulture cheap points in $25K clay tournaments instead of going to Asia. Then she got humilliated in first round USO qualies too.

I guess it is a matter of priorities but I don't think this is the right thing to do if you try to become something remotely significant at WTA level (which in the end I guess that is the ultimate goal for every player)
I agree she should be trying to step up to a higher level, but I don't expect her to chose between a budget 50 Points, 4K in Prize Money and good Clay-Court practice and getting destroyed 1st round in Asia, on a surface she doesn't prefer paying masses to get there. Yes you need to play at the level to become the level but it would ruin her confidence IMO I think she should have stayed behind in America and played Quebec City plus the 75K

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #82
country flag spiceboy

Quote:
I agree she should be trying to step up to a higher level, but I don't expect her to chose between a budget 50 Points, 4K in Prize Money and good Clay-Court practice and getting destroyed 1st round in Asia, on a surface she doesn't prefer paying masses to get there. Yes you need to play at the level to become the level but it would ruin her confidence IMO I think she should have stayed behind in America and played Quebec City plus the 75K
Good clay court practice? Practice for what? For the following $25K clay tournaments in Spain?

And you think it is a bad idea to play outdoors in Asia because she would get destroyed and advise her to go to Québec?

Plus MD players in Alburquerque are way stronger competition than players in Seoul qualifying. By a big margin.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #83

christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all christina_fl is a name known to all

I agree she should go for higher tournaments now. But I think it was good to gain confidence. I think Steffis problem is that she loses to lower ranked players without reason and her coach is working on that with her. So this tourney was good to work on that but it is time now to move on. Too bad she is planning to play some more 25k the following weeks
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #84
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Stephi

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #85
country flag goOudinUSA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Stephanie Congrats on the title!!

Bally

goOudinUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #86
country flag chingching

Quote:
Good clay court practice? Practice for what? For the following $25K clay tournaments in Spain?

And you think it is a bad idea to play outdoors in Asia because she would get destroyed and advise her to go to Québec?

Plus MD players in Alburquerque are way stronger competition than players in Seoul qualifying. By a big margin.
It was not because of strength but more because of the convenience. It is un-realistic for her to travel from Europe to Asia to lose early when their are tonnes of weak tournaments in Europe to get confidence from but if she was already in America, she could have stayed behind, played Quebec City (she is better on Indoor Hard IMO) and then played some American ITFs That's just my opinion And I think the reason she played this week was to keep her match fit for next weeks stronger 25K I would have done exactly the same as her but maybe I would have played Sofia or Mont-de-Marsan I mean if you want her to get better on Hard and expose herself to a higher level of play, what is wrong with her for example, playing Shrewsbury

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #87
country flag spiceboy

Quote:
I mean if you want her to get better on Hard and expose herself to a higher level of play, what is wrong with her for example, playing Shrewsbury
Exactly. That would be the perfect choice. Still a kinda weak tournament for a player of her calibre but playing indoor hardcourts would be a challenge and a way to improve on hardcourts. Seoul qualifying was not much better than $25K Shrewsbury anyway. But at least you would see a will to improve in her weakest surface.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #88
country flag chingching

Quote:
Exactly. That would be the perfect choice. Still a kinda weak tournament for a player of her calibre but playing indoor hardcourts would be a challenge and a way to improve on hardcourts. Seoul qualifying was not much better than $25K Shrewsbury anyway. But at least you would see a will to improve in her weakest surface.
I just realised how weak Seoul qualifying was I understand why she wants to play locally and actually as I think of it, Shrewsbury would have been a good choice and she actually could have won it I am sure next year she will focus more on WTAs I thinks she's trying to build up a solid points base to take off the pressure for the beginning of next year, anticipating the loss of her 100K points Still, I think she should have played Doubles If you're going to play weaker tournaments for match practice, at least play Dubs

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #89

She is planning on playing Linz and Luxembourg WTA in October...