Consistent toss/2nd serve? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #16
country flag Serena_Williams_

Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of
Re: Consistent toss/2nd serve?

What i like for the toss is releasing the ball in a flower form.It's something Serena does and look at her ball toss

About the consistency there isn't much i can teach you cuz i have problems myself I tryto spin in the 2nd serve but i do feel like decelerate on my 2nd serve a lot so i end up commiting a lot of DFs and just placing the serve in...
“I'm not used to crying. . . . It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. It's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win, that's all. I'm just going to have to keep smiling.”-Serena Williams
Serena_Williams_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #17
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute
If it's going long it's likely too flat, which goes back to racket head speed. Concentrate on using that wrist to get work on the ball.

Could (less likely) also be that your toss isn't far enough in front of you, so the angle of your racket at contact is too open. That's easy to check, just do what the other poster said, place your racket on the ground & see if your toss is landing in the right place.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #18
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

What kind of 2nd serve are you trying to hit?

I recommend learning a basic topspin 2nd serve.
(Below instruction supposes your service motion and form are correct, and grip is continental)

Ball toss is different for the topspin serve than your first serve. You should toss it above your left shoulder.
That is where it should land if you don't hit the ball.

If your service motion is technically correct, you will rotate your hips away from the net when you weight transfer forward.
This closes your stance. This is the same for all serves.
The difference in a slice or Flat serve and a kick serve is that you open towards the net as you contact the ball for flat/slice serves
while you STAY CLOSED for a kick serve.
Right now, you are in a 'closed' stance, racquet is up, ball is at its apex above your left shoulder.

Swing UP, from south to north of the ball. There is a tendency to try to swing up and back down in an attempt to bring the ball into the court.
Don't do this. Your ball will go long. Swing up, and SPIN the ball. The topspin will bring it back down. If your toss is in front of your left shoulder,
your ball will go into the net. it's actually better for the ball to be behind your left shoulder, like Sam Stosur as you can really kick
the serve that way.
If your stance isn't closed at contact, you aren't in the right position to kick your serve. It can still go in, if you have good hands
and can adjust based on your stance, but from this stance, it is almost impossible to kick to the backhand side. Your ball will go to
the forehand which is usually a rec level players strength and a medium pace high ball to the forehand is not what you want to gift to
your opponent.

I LOVE to hit kick serves and have a VERY good one I can hit deep, close to the line and with good bounce and movement.
A deep kick serve is more difficult to return for rec level players than a flat serve.
Good rec players will move back and block your flat serve or use the pace against you,
but a player needs VERY good timing to be able to be aggressive off a good kick serve.
Against 1 handed BH players, I kick almost exclusively to their backhand. Once they start cheating to the bh, all you need is a decent slice serve
out wide and you'll get an ace or service winner.

Serve is the shot you have the most control over. Go to the practice court with several balls and practice, practice, practice.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by semprelibera : Sep 10th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #19

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean. View Post
If it's going long it's likely too flat, which goes back to racket head speed. Concentrate on using that wrist to get work on the ball.

Could (less likely) also be that your toss isn't far enough in front of you, so the angle of your racket at contact is too open. That's easy to check, just do what the other poster said, place your racket on the ground & see if your toss is landing in the right place.
2nd serve toss should not be too in front. The further in front, the less topspin you can put on the ball.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #20
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

^ Which is why I said it's unlikely!

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #21

Oh sorry, I misread your post.