Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5 - Page 111 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1651
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

I think Maria can snatch another slam. I'd be happy with 5, I mean Legendtina won 5.
6 would be her max, I had dreams of her reaching 7 to be up there with Justine and Vee but there's no chance in hell she'd nearly double her slam count in the next 3-4 years
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1652
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Serena looked like she was determined to ruin my Sunday and make my life miserable after blowing a 4-1, 2-break lead in the second set. I really thought she was done after that. She looked like she was about to cry after losing that tiebreak. That was a full-blown choke in progress.

But she found that next level again and survived. Similar in many ways to last year's final.

What can you say about Azarenka. It's getting almost impossible to put her away. Losing first sets mean nothing to her. She just keeps on coming back relentlessly, no matter the situation. I really believe that Vika is very close to solving the Serena riddle and will start beating her on a regular basis. I hate to admit it and accept it, but her return game, her groundstrokes, and her never-say-die attitude make her the second best player right now and closing in on Serena. And the question marks surrounding Maria have to be taken into account.

It's Serena and Vika's tour now. And you look at the way Azarenka has played Serena this year, particularly in Cincy and New York, I think it's only a matter of time before she's number one again.

I wish Maria was healthy and I wish I could be fired-up and optimistic about what Maria can do to compete with those two in 2014, but she's a complete mystery at this time.
You're being too pessimistic. Vika has played poor all season, Serena for most of the season and even Maria. The problem is everyone else is playing worse.

Last year Aga, Kerber, Errani all had standout Seasons besides the top 3. It doesn't feel like anyone outside the top 3 have had that this year.

I think it's been a largely disappointing season tbh. I doubt I'll watch Tokyo/Beijing and prospects don't look promising for the YEC.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #1653
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
You're being too pessimistic. Vika has played poor all season, Serena for most of the season and even Maria. The problem is everyone else is playing worse.

Last year Aga, Kerber, Errani all had standout Seasons besides the top 3. It doesn't feel like anyone outside the top 3 have had that this year.

I think it's been a largely disappointing season tbh. I doubt I'll watch Tokyo/Beijing and prospects don't look promising for the YEC.
I agree with the last sentence, but, much as I hate to admit it, the Serena-Azarenka matches have probably been the best of this year

I still maintain that Maria is capable of doing most of the things that Azarenka does against Serena, but I do genuinely think Aza really spent a LOT of time during last offseason studying Serena and coming up with a thorough gameplan (there was just too dramatic an improvement in her tactics from her poor performance against ListlessRena at the YEC compared to her matches against her this year), and that's something Maria will have to do. So, for all the derision Maria got for saying she'd hired someone to study tapes of Serena, I think that's probably the best thing, since it seemed she finally heeded Michael Joyce's words about her being too stubborn to adapt.

One thing I will say for Azarenka though, tonight confirmed that, although I still firmly believe Maria has a better game, Vika is mentally tougher than her right now, and probably mentally tougher than anyone else in the game atm.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1654
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

Vika is simply a better match-up against Serena. She is more capable than Maria of staying in points and absorbing Serena's power. Serena also doesn't have the same "I wanna beat this witch down" mentality when she meets Vika that she has when she sees Maria. I'm sure Maria can improve her game against Serena, but a lot of tennis is about match-ups.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #1655
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I think Maria is more of a fighter than Vika. I think that Vika is more composed though, similar to pre-op Maria. I think a lot of the time Maria fights herself instead of her opponent, and it's understandable that her comeback took a bit out of her. She was fierce as anything when she came back in 09 though, there's nothing like a lay-off and serious scare to make a player appreciate the game either so we'll see.

I also agree about Serena/Vika and Serena/Maria just being two different match-ups.
For me the main difference is the BH, while I think Maria's is better, Vika's is more effective against Serena as she can jam her on it, whereas Maria's is angled so opens up the court for Rena unless it's a ridiculously good one. While Rena's FH is the side to hit to when she's off, you're more likely to get a weak reply by jamming her or pushing her back on the BH when she's on.

That and Vika has better retrieval skills obviously.

I'm not worried about Vika overtaking Maria. She's nowhere near where she was in 2012, it's uncertain when Maria will return and how well she'll play but I doubt it will take as long to get back to the top if she makes a full recovery.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #1656
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Maria is more of a fighter than Vika. I think that Vika is more composed though, similar to pre-op Maria. I think a lot of the time Maria fights herself instead of her opponent, and it's understandable that her comeback took a bit out of her. She was fierce as anything when she came back in 09 though, there's nothing like a lay-off and serious scare to make a player appreciate the game either so we'll see.

I also agree about Serena/Vika and Serena/Maria just being two different match-ups.
For me the main difference is the BH, while I think Maria's is better, Vika's is more effective against Serena as she can jam her on it, whereas Maria's is angled so opens up the court for Rena unless it's a ridiculously good one. While Rena's FH is the side to hit to when she's off, you're more likely to get a weak reply by jamming her or pushing her back on the BH when she's on.

I'm not worried about Vika overtaking Maria. She's nowhere near where she was in 2012, it's uncertain when Maria will return and how well she'll play but I doubt it will take as long to get back to the top if she makes a full recovery.
I totally agree with this, and I actually think Maria made a tactical mistake by playing so much to the Serena forehand in her matches this year. In addition to what you said, Serena is also capable of creating much sharper, more acute angles with her forehand than her backhand, which can exploit Maria's movement, and that's the part of Serena's groundgame that causes Maria the most problems rather than simply Serena's power imo.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #1657
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
So, for all the derision Maria got for saying she'd hired someone to study tapes of Serena, I think that's probably the best thing, since it seemed she finally heeded Michael Joyce's words about her being too stubborn to adapt.
LOL, I thought GM's obsession with that article was so stupid. I was actually glad Maria and her team were trying to solve her match-up issues against Serena. I'm not sure why GM thought watching tapes was somehow beneath tennis players. I think NFL teams study opponent's tapes all the time to get a game plan.

The only thing that annoyed me about that article was that I wish Maria and her team had put some type of non-disclosure in the consultant's contract so he wouldn't freaking blab to the WSJ about his work or their tactics. No reason to let opponents in on what tactics they're pursuing prior to playing a match.
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #1658
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerM View Post
LOL, I thought GM's obsession with that article was so stupid. I was actually glad Maria and her team were trying to solve her match-up issues against Serena. I'm not sure why GM thought watching tapes was somehow beneath tennis players. I think NFL teams study opponent's tapes all the time to get a game plan.

The only thing that annoyed me about that article was that I wish Maria and her team had put some type of non-disclosure in the consultant's contract so he wouldn't freaking blab to the WSJ about his work or their tactics. No reason to let opponents in on what tactics they're pursuing prior to playing a match.
Its TF logic. Ridicule ANYTHING "your" opponent does. Of course they use it in every ballsport. Hell, what was biggest addition from Mugatoglou to Serena? His knowledge about the rest of the field, advices & strategies. Exactly what was she lacking with Daddy Richard. And now barely lost a match outside slams...

All the same every time, just like with the "corporate drone" remarks when she is promoting her own developed business. While Serena walking oncourt with overpriced chinese headphones, talking about her nail polish line in the oncourt interview & siping from a green bottle live on national TV after match... and then blaming Maria & white supremacy stealing every sponsor WTF
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #1659
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I agree with you about the rest of the tour in 2013. Other than that fleeting, amazing moment of Bartoli at Wimbledon, the rest of the WTA outside of the top 3 has been a joke as a whole. I can't remember a bigger collection of underacheivers, chokers, and bums. This year's US Open was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the WTA. Nobody can ever step up and handle the pressure outside of Serena, Vika, and Maria. The usual suspects showed up to disappoint yet again. Stosur, Kvitova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Errani, Kerber, Lisicki, and even Radwanska. Yes, Li Na made it to the semis, but then just rolled over to Serena with little resistance. And Agi's mind may have been more on her grandfather so I could give her a pass for flopping.

You just got a taste of how boring and lifeless this tour is without Maria. This was probably the worst US Open I can remember in a long time and the season overall has been forgettable. Wimbledon provided the only intrigue.

And, yes, I still maintain that when at her best, Maria is better than Vika. But shoulder injuries with Maria are the scariest thing. And we don't know if the rest and rehab approach is the best route to take with her. When she does come back, will it flare up again? Will she have to alter her strokes to alleviate pressure on the shoulder? Will the serving yips return? How long will it take for her game to get back to a high level? Who will be coaching her? Will the fire and desire to win and be the best still be there?

So many questions.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #1660
country flag Silas
Unattractive inside

Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute Silas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
When she does come back, will it flare up again? Will she have to alter her strokes to alleviate pressure on the shoulder? Will the serving yips return? How long will it take for her game to get back to a high level? Who will be coaching her? Will the fire and desire to win and be the best still be there?
Silas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1661
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerM View Post
That's nothing new in tennis either. Navratilova and her team did the same thing in the early 1980's to enable her to come up with better tactics to beat Evert.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1662
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Which is key. That's the way the game is going. Even on the mens side - Djokovic, Nadal, Murray - all of them are great on defense as well as attack. Azarenka as well but unfortunately Maria isn't, although she has improved in that regard. Maria can only win when she is the one who is calling the shots. Against most players that isn't a problem because she's a better ballstriker than them and/or has more power, more heart, etc. But against Serena there is no way that you can always be the one who's on the offensive. You MUST be a good retreiver as well.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1663
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

read that and the word transexual popped in my head.
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Marion Bartoli Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #1664
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Maria has won her last two matches against Vuvurenka and as long as she is healthy, confident and in form, Vika has no chance against her. I don't care that Vuvurenka plays servebot close - she still chokes and eventually loses anyway. When Maria is ON, she is serving 2nd serve aces on the lines and painting the lines with her laser groundies. There's just no defense for that (not in WTA anyway). I still trust in her and believe she'll be ready and recharged to go starting with 2014 AO. A fan in me can never doubt a champion of Maria's caliber, no matter how bleak things look in the present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1665
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future

if only Maria had won those two finals against Petra and then Vika

Kvitova, Jankovic, Cepelova, Hantuchova, Ivanovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote