Christian/Santamaria not in US Open MD? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 27th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #16
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: Christian/Santamaria not in US Open MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Wow... unreal how bad this is.

Having once worked in D1, I can tell that communication is easy with email. SOMEONE dropped the ball. I would be fairly confident that someone did goof.... likely didn't read an email.

USTA communicates to ITA
ITA communicates to USC women's coach (ITA never communicates directly with players).
USC women's coach communicates to the two players

I have a good idea where this pooch got screwed beyond all belief.... and if I was the girls I would be beyond livid. Win all 3 collegiate majors but more importantly who is to say you EVER get a chance to play in a major again? Ever? Because someone FAILED to do their job and get info to the players (both of whom are on record talking with excitement about going to US Open). Whomever ultimatley blew this should be chopped... even if it is 'just' tennis.

It's professional negligence and really screwed two deserving ladies.

But I shall keep my hunch to myself... if they were taking bets in Vegas I'd place a wager though.

PATHETIC MISTAKE... funny how the men got the message on what to do but not the women. Hmmmmmmm

PS to FANTIC: USC's inexperience? .... they've been sending men for years who've qualified in similar fashion I believe.
Very interesting insight and comment.

As far as the girls being beyond livid, I'm sure behind the scenes in their hotel rooms they must have been really pissed off. In public, perhaps speechless.

What's really sad is how much momentum these girls had going into USO, after win 3 NCAA majors and success throughout Europe at the University games.

Sabs in particular was so pumped up, confidence at an all-time high, when she got back, before heading to NY.

She was still on cloud 9, while getting to NY, ready to play...then the balloon burst...and her dreams shattered.

USC tried to downplay this incident with the following caption:

Former Trojans Step Up For US Open Main Draw Action
Steve Johnson, Maria Sanchez and Robert Farah are lined up to compete in Flushing Meadows.

And the article doesn't seem to address any missed communications, except that on the behalf of USTA:
USC's 2013 NCAA Doubles Championship winners Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria did not receive a wildcard into the US Open doubles main draw. The pair was expected to be included in the draw, and are in New York to be honored as members of the ITA Collegiate All-Star Team. Typically, NCAA champions receive a wild card invitation to the US Open main draw, but Christian and Santamaria have not been included in this year's doubles draw. Last season, the USC junior-sophomore combination paired up for their second season together as Trojan teammates. Christian and Santamaria, who are also childhood friends, went on to defend two titles -- the Pac-12 Doubles and ITA National Indoor Doubles championships -- while adding two more to their resumes in completing a triple crown of national titles with the ITA/Riviera All-American Doubles crown and finally the NCAA Doubles championship. Christian/Santamaria finished out the season with a near-perfect 37-1 overall record. This summer, the pair made an impressive run at the World University Games, reaching the quarterfinals where they fell to eventual gold medalist Russians Pavlyuchenkova/Vesnina, who are both competing in the US Open separately as seeded teams. It seems that the correct paperwork was not filed with the USTA, and the absence of the paperwork for the women's NCAA champions was not noticed during the selection process. The NCAA men's champions from UVA will be competing in the men's doubles main draw.
tie_breaker is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #17
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
USC 'women.' I dunno the last time they won NCAA
It's really incredible that no one at USTA noticed this. Are they overstuffed or understaffed? And this is USA , not some 3rd world country

Because of this colossal bungling of epic proportions, likely two teams were snubbed to make way for KK and Sabs in Mixed...great.

I do hope the media at least do its job and get to the bottom of this surreal drama.

And tiebreaker, my guess is that USTA panicked when Taylor did not win the dbls at the Natl and had a creative brainstorming session Pairing with a Card was just the icing of the cake!
You make a good case, given that Burdette and Townsend is listed as the last WC in the draw...
tie_breaker is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #18
country flag knoxt

knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry, but this is outrageous and careless on USTA's part. By rule, you get a berth into MD if you won the NCAA's. How could they forget this?
knoxt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote