US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5 - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 01:39 AM   #256
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
Makes me so angry when I think of the slams she could've won in the time that the shoulder injury and recovery erased, and now it's happening again.
After Big Maria at age only age 20 won Oz 08 for her third slam title I truly thought she could win 10 slams in her career. Not to be in large part due to her troublesome right shoulder. Atleast she has the career grand slam and that helps some. Maria would have won a few more slams than 4 by this time if she had been healthy. But that's tennis and sports in general.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 03:15 AM   #257
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisvampire View Post
Well, I just hope she takes the time off until the start of the next season. As much as it would hurt to not watch her play until then, it would hurt more to watch her struggle and damage the shoulder even more by coming back too soon. I just re-watched that French Open ceremony, and even if this is the beginning of an end for Maria, it was a swan song and one of the greatest comebacks in the history of tennis. And I, and I'm sure all of you too, will stand by her until the music stops playing

That being said, I totally expect us to be exaggerating and for her to be back to slay by the beginning of 2014
A decade later and an even year. Imagine if she did the unthinkable and won Wimbledon again after being out with another shoulder injury
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 03:27 AM   #258
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

It just seems all too surreal and sudden. I still don't have a clue about what's going to happen, and we need not hold our breath for solid info from Team Pova.

So I've read up on it, bursitis in itself is not so bad. It can be treated and cured with rehab, however there will always be limits to what the patient can do with their shoulder or it will flare up ie. for a tennis player like Maria where the shoulder will be under constant stress and pressure - it's not going away. However, it can easily be cured surgically. This would seem the be the best and only option for Maria. It only takes a few weeks to recover from too and have full motion of the shoulder restored.

BUT. The symptoms of bursitis and impingement are the same and often the two are suffered together, so she could have impingement syndrome too. This is a bit more serious, but again not as serious as a rotator cuff tear although untreated it leads to it. She'll need a bit of her acromion (small part of shoulder blade) ground off. This can easily be done at the same time as the removal off the bursa, so the whole thing is decompressed and there is no friction.

Basically, you have to have been suffering the symptoms for 3-6 months (which she has) before surgery is considered, also the cortisone injections are pretty much the last non-surgical result. So all things considered, I think the subacromial decompression surgery is what's going to happen.

Rehab: typically 2-4 months. Maybe up to a year but that's very very worst case scenario.

This surgery shouldn't have as much affect on her as the rotator cuff isn't torn, once rehab is complete she should be fit to go through all the motions painlessly whereas last time she had to teach her shoulder how to do those motions again, wait for her shoulder to strengthen so she could do them painlessly and then the whole muscle-memory thing so that she would be fit to to do motions consistently.

It certainly doesn't seem like it will be such a long and grueling process.
My only fear is that her stubborn self will hear 'shoulder surgery' and think the worst despite the two being completely different things and theoretically a much quicker time to return to high form. I hope she doesn't think she can just rehab this away, this summer alone proves that false never mind past experiences. Although I think given what her work involves on the shoulder, and the ineffective rehab and cortisone these past few weeks that the doctor's will tell her as much.

Basically if the surgery is done soon she should be fit to start practicing in Jan/Feb. So IMO I think a Nadal circa 2013 approach is even off the cards. She won't be at either of IW or Miami IMO. Clay season at the very earliest though very unrealistic. She should be fit to serve etc without pain once the rehab is done, I guess it's just a matter of her getting match fit. I'm not sure how long that will take but it could be a post Wimbledon comeback. Similar to Clijster's 09 schedule IMO. Clijster's practiced and trained for 7 months before returning. I'm not sure what will happen if she isn't ready for the USO. Although I would rather her miss it than flop and affect her confidence.

Perhaps rehab will get the job done, although based on what we know I think what I've just posted is the much more likely scenario. It's not as serious as shoulder surgery 1.0 but the timeframe for 2.0 could likely be the same IMO.

EDIT: Just to stress, rehab may get her back for the AO. But like I said, I'm not so sure of it's long term effects.

Last edited by jameshazza : Aug 23rd, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
jameshazza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 03:34 AM   #259
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
It just seems all too surreal and sudden. I still don't have a clue about what's going to happen, and we need not hold our breath for solid info from Team Pova.

So I've read up on it, bursitis in itself is not so bad. It can be treated and cured with rehab, however there will always be limits to what the patient can do with their shoulder or it will flare up ie. for a tennis player like Maria where the shoulder will be under constant stress and pressure - it's not going away. However, it can easily be cured surgically. This would seem the be the best and only option for Maria. It only takes a few weeks to recover from too and have full motion of the shoulder restored.

BUT. The symptoms of bursitis and impingement are the same, so she could have impingement syndrome too. This is a bit more serious, but again not as serious as a rotator cuff tear although untreated it leads to it. She'll need a bit of her acromion (small part of shoulder blade) ground off. This can easily be done at the same time as the removal off the bursa, so the whole thing is decompressed and there is no friction.

Basically, you have to have been suffering the symptoms for 3-6 months (which she has) before surgery is considered, also the cortisone injections are pretty much the last non-surgical result. So all things considered, I think the subacromial decompression surgery is what's going to happen.

Rehab: typically 2-4 months. Maybe up to a year but that's very very worst case scenario.

This surgery shouldn't have as much affect on her as the rotator cuff isn't torn, once rehab is complete she should be fit to go through all the motions painlessly whereas last time she had to teach her shoulder how to do those motions again, wait for her shoulder to strengthen so she could do them painlessly and then the whole muscle-memory thing so that she would be fit to to do motions consistently.

My only fear is that her stubborn self will hear 'shoulder surgery' and think the worst despite the two being completely different things and theoretically a much quicker time to return to high form. I hope she doesn't think she can just rehab this away, this summer alone proves that false never mind past experiences. Although I think given what her work involves on the shoulder, and the ineffective rehab and cortisone these past few weeks that the doctor's will tell her as much.

Basically if the surgery is done soon she should be fit to start practicing in Jan/Feb. So IMO I think a Nadal circa 2013 approach is even off the cards. She won't be at either of IW or Miami IMO. Clay season at the very earliest though very unrealistic. She should be fit to serve etc without pain once the rehab is done, I guess it's just a matter of her getting match fit. I'm not sure how long that will take but it could be a post Wimbledon comeback. Similar to Clijster's 09 schedule IMO. Clijster's practiced and trained for 7 months before returning. I'm not sure what will happen if she isn't ready for the USO. Although I would rather her miss it than flop and affect her confidence.

Perhaps rehab will get the job done, although based on what we know I think what I've just posted is the much more likely scenario. It's not as serious as shoulder surgery 1.0 but the timeframe for 2.0 could likely be the same IMO.
wow
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 03:37 AM   #260
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

hastag slam number 5 has to happen in an even year.

gotta give to our gurl. points for consistency!
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:03 AM   #261
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

I think she'll want to be back at Wimbledon 2014 just for the 10 year anniversary. Looks a fairly likely target.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:45 AM   #262
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

I wonder just how open to questions she'll be or rather how honest she'll be. The press will want to know when this shoulder pain returned and when it escalated. Hell, we all want to know. I'm assuming she'll say she didn't really know how serious it was until Cincy. Otherwise, people will call her out.

On another note, I've always felt Maria needed to buff up more to protect her muscles. Her muscles are so long and lean, and she hits the ball flat and hard with every strike. Sure, she won't be able to wear certain dresses, and a buff body would slight her pretty girl rock image, but I think she needs to get them bigger and stronger nonetheless.

Last edited by Icky80 : Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:48 AM   #263
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

are you guys serious now? You are saying she can be out for as long as a YEAR now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #264
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
are you guys serious now? You are saying she can be out for as long as a YEAR now?
Worst case scenario yes. However, that if surgery is required (which based on what we've heard is likely). The difference this time though is that she won't have to rebuild her game, she'll just have to wait until she's fit to play painlessly. There wouldn't be any real need for drastic motion changes etc if she did adequate rehab.

Plus, rehab alone will only have her back maybe 3-4 months quicker. But it's without question the bursitis will resurface. Surgery is a more permanent option and the sensible one from everything I've read about it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #265
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

You know what really bad. I havent even bothered to check the draws yet.....
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 09:14 AM   #266
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

yeah I haven't checked the draws either and to think how excited I was a couple of days ago about Maria playing and Yuri coaching her And if there is a possibility she'll be that much time away from the game then I don't know tennis wouldn't be the same without her competing. I think I need to start stanning for some of the ATP guys because the WTA now just feels boring and indifferent
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 09:20 AM   #267
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm exactly the same. I have really been getting a lot more into the ATP. The WTA just doesnt excite me ATM.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 09:22 AM   #268
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

BUT. The symptoms of bursitis and impingement are the same and often the two are suffered together, so she could have impingement syndrome too. This is a bit more serious, but again not as serious as a rotator cuff tear although untreated it leads to it. She'll need a bit of her acromion (small part of shoulder blade) ground off. This can easily be done at the same time as the removal off the bursa, so the whole thing is decompressed and there is no friction.

EDIT: Just to stress, rehab may get her back for the AO. But like I said, I'm not so sure of it's long term effects.
Wow. I really needed to read this to get informed more on her situation.

It hurts to know that maybe she'll be out for a year but as long as she'll be back I don't care.

I remember crying from joy when I first read the news that Maria will return in Strasbourg in 2009 , and I can't wait to hear the news on her return again.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM   #269
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky80 View Post
I wonder just how open to questions she'll be. The press will want to know when this shoulder pain returned and when it escalated. Hell, we'll all want to know. I'm assuming she'll say she didn't really know how serious it was until Cincy. Otherwise, people will cal her out.

On another note, I've always felt Maria needed to buff up more to protect her muscles. Her muscles are so long and lean, and she hits the ball flat and hard with every strike. Sure, she'll be less pretty in dresses and it would slight her her pretty girl rock image, but I think she needs to get them bigger and stronger nonetheless
I would so love to hear a honest, thorough break-down of what's really been going on the past couple of months. But I doubt we will ever know. I'm hoping that it was the case that she had some pain during the French Open and Wimbledon, and that it just got worse, because I really can't bear the thought that she played through serious pain, given what happened last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
You know what really bad. I havent even bothered to check the draws yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMePova View Post
yeah I haven't checked the draws either and to think how excited I was a couple of days ago about Maria playing and Yuri coaching her And if there is a possibility she'll be that much time away from the game then I don't know tennis wouldn't be the same without her competing. I think I need to start stanning for some of the ATP guys because the WTA now just feels boring and indifferent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
I'm exactly the same. I have really been getting a lot more into the ATP. The WTA just doesnt excite me ATM.
I think it's because of Serena and Azarenka's dominance over the rest of the field. It just seems so NID. If Robson goes out early the US Open is going to be so dead to me. If I liked either of the top 2 even just a little bit, it would be better, but I just can't stand to see them winning majors now.

And I was so excited for Yuri's return, too.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #270
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:

Look at us all becoming shoulder experts
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote