** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3 - Page 61 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #901
country flag swissmr

swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

Maria has trolled us in the past before (remember the short hair photo?!) and did the same again today.

Even those saying it was a bad move can't deny that a lot more people will be aware of the Sugarpova brand after today. I just can't believe some people genuinely believed she would change her name
swissmr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 01:46 AM   #902
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I wish I could. I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to share all those triumphs over the years as a fan and all that joy and excitement and knowing that your favorite is so much better than everyone else.

But I hate Serena and I hate Vika and pretty much every other player and I love Maria. So there's really not much I can do about it but hope Maria gets out of her funk.
I understand you so much
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 03:14 AM   #903
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

5 Minutes With Maria

Rather unexpectedly yesterday, I found out that I'd have five minutes to talk with Maria Sharapova. I have to say if I was planning to have five minutes with Maria, I wouldn't have necessarily have selected a chic Fifth Avenue boutique as a venue. Nor would I have invited in about 30 cameras, ten other reporters (and/or bloggers), various handlers, a couple hundred adoring fans or the WTA superstar's ATP pro boyfriend, who loomed about thirty feet away, largely unnoticed. Still, no complaints here.

While it's been a tumultuous summer filled with injuries, coaching intrigue and uncharacteristic losses on court for Sharapova, we found her to be quite calm in the center of the media frenzy that frankly, she must be used to by now as arguably the most famous female athlete in the world. The four-time major champion was amiable and not at all intimidating despite looking runway ready and matching my 6'3" height in her heels. Maria was in New York, obviously for the US Open which commences on Monday, but also to launch Sugarpova's second set, an accessory collection, in association with Henri Bendel New York. So, how did we spend our time together? Maria and I discussed working with brands (ed. note: my own day job), building Sugarpova, connecting with her fans and of course, her tennis summer leading up to the US Open. I'm done rambling, here's my interview with Maria Sharapova.

Q: You've worked with a lot of great brands over the course of your career. How have you picked the brands you've worked with?

A: It's really about finding the values that are important to you, who you want to associate yourself with. It's also about the time commitment that you're able to give in a partnership in a relationship. When we launched the collection of Sugarpova, the candies itself, last year at Henri Bendel, it seemed like a very organic flow to accessories because that's what they're known for and have done for so many years. It's just a partnership that felt really real and honest. In terms of hair accessories, it's something that I use when I'm on the court, so it worked really well together.

Q: What has it been like going from working with brands to being the brand yourself? Because I hear you're very involved with Sugarpova.

A: Well that is one of the reasons I wanted to start this because I really wanted to create something that was my own where I made those final decisions in the end, because I've worked with many big brands and I was a very small part of that; which gave me so much experience which I really thought I could use in this kind of venture.

Q: Tell me a little bit more about your collection from Henri Bendel

A: Well, the accessories I personally designed. Henri Bendel is known for their accessories, that's what they're best at. And they've done it for so many years and I wanted this to be young and fun and with the energy of the candies as well. It just seemed like a really natural progression.

Q: Let's talk about what a brand gets working with Maria Sharapova. A lot of times a brand will bring a star in, they'll pose for some pictures, do some appearances and that's the end of it. Tell me how you get involved with the process with the brand.

A: I enjoy being in the process from the very get go, from the beginning. From creating the actual product, to drawing it, to bringing in ideas, to the way things are placed. I personally worked on the logo for over a year. it took two years to just create the candy and the packaging and the advertisements. The packaging was extremely important to me and all the different images. You see each one has a different kind of meaning and color and design and that doesn't come overnight. it takes a lot of time to create. So the same thing with the accessories, after we did the candies, there was a lot of demand. Everyone really responded well to the logo and we just thought it would be really fun to do it with accessories.

Q: Everyone I've seen you play in the last year or so, you've done Sugarpova launches. How was it making for that in the midst of your day job; the tennis?

A: I feel like it's been really fun. It's just an evening and a couple of hours of my time. We've expanded to so many markets and different countries that I never thought in a year...I mean this is just our one year anniversary, I never thought that we'd be in as many countries as we are in. And I feel like it's also a bit of an interaction with my fans. Because when they see you play on stadium court, when they see you at a photo shoot, or see you in a picture, they don't have that chemistry between one another. I don't know, I feel like I've really gotten to spend a bit more time with people that are my biggest fans.

Q: You've been coming to New York for a long time. You've had some extraordinary success here. Tell me what's your favorite thing about coming back to New York City?

A: I love the electricity, I love the energy. I love going on that center court and just feeling like this is what I've worked towards. I feel like I wanna compete. it's so different to all the other grand slams in terms of energy and the excitement around the players and you feel that when you're out there and it just makes it extra special.

Q: Last question Maria, you've had a bit of an unconventional run up to the US Open this year. Tell me how you feel with all the changes, not having gotten a lot of matches. How do you feel going into this tournament in 2013?

A: Well, despite everything, this is one of the biggest grand slams for us. It's the last grand slam of the year and. You know, I had a great start to my year. The first six months were great despite the last couple of losses. You know, I'm extremely happy to be here and still be No. 3 in the world, going into this tournament as one of the favorites. Yeah, I really hope that I'll be able to play great tennis. I've been practicing and working hard for it.

http://www.blacklabeltennis.com/2013...ith-maria.html

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 03:52 AM   #904
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecig View Post

Q: Last question Maria, you've had a bit of an unconventional run up to the US Open this year. Tell me how you feel with all the changes, not having gotten a lot of matches. How do you feel going into this tournament in 2013?

A: Well, despite everything, this is one of the biggest grand slams for us. It's the last grand slam of the year and. You know, I had a great start to my year. The first six months were great despite the last couple of losses. You know, I'm extremely happy to be here and still be No. 3 in the world, going into this tournament as one of the favorites. Yeah, I really hope that I'll be able to play great tennis. I've been practicing and working hard for it.

http://www.blacklabeltennis.com/2013...ith-maria.html
Gorl I love you but that statement
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 06:11 AM   #905
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by effedcamel View Post
Gorl I love you but that statement
see the odds and you'll understand she is right
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM   #906
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Well, from a betting standpoint, she's still one of the favorites in the eyes of bookies, ranking behind only Serena and Vika. So, technically, what Maria said was kind of accurate.

But, yeah, conventional wisdom, even amongst many diehard Maria fans, says she isn't going to be much of a threat in this tournament, given her form and severe lack of match play in recent weeks.

Maria will always believe in herself even when others don't, though, so her confidence isn't surprising.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 06:46 AM   #907
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

i suspect a couple of weeks, in true single-white-female fashion, news will be out that Victoria Azarenka has approached the supreme court of monaco to try and pull a "quickie" name change of her own
malarkist is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:54 AM   #908
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkist View Post
i suspect a couple of weeks, in true single-white-female fashion, news will be out that Victoria Azarenka has approached the supreme court of monaco to try and pull a "quickie" name change of her own
Will she be changing her last name to 'Guest' so people will stop getting her name wrong?

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM   #909
country flag LoveMasha2008

LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future

More about the name change farce:

Daniel Kaplan's tweets:

Quote:
daniel kaplan ‏@dkaplanSBJ 20h
have query into Sharapova rep to see if name change gambit true. 4 what its worth, nothing comes up when entering her name in Fla. Supreme..
Quote:
daniel kaplan ‏@dkaplanSBJ 20h
...Ct docket, the court reportedly where she is seeking legal permission for the quick name change
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #910

LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future

Three reasons Maria Sharapova was never going to change her name

Despite the rumors flying about, Maria Sharapova will not be changing her last name to “Sugarpova” for the U.S. Open, reports Darren Rovell for ESPN.com.

On Monday, Neil Harman of The (London) Times reported Sharapova planned to change her last name to “Sugarpova” for the duration of the U.S. Open as part of a marketing scheme for her Sugarpova candy line. The report also revealed Sharapova’s plans to wear her company’s logo — a pursed set of ruby red lips — somewhere on her Nike kit at the U.S. Open. The marketing stunt would mean Sharapova would be introduced onto court as “2006 U.S. Open champion, Maria Sugarpova”, “Sugarpova” would be displayed on the courtside scoreboards, and scores would be called out as “Game, Sugarpova”.

From the start, the whole thing reeked of a publicity stunt in advance of her Sugarpova launch tonight at Henri Bendel in New York City. A leaked story that she was “considering” the move was picked up by every news outlet across the globe, but only 24 hours later, her agent Max Eisenbud announced that she decided against it. That’s some masterful p.r. work to take the attention off of her recent firing of Jimmy Connors.

But one didn’t necessarily need the official denial to know Sharapova was never going to go through with this scheme. Here are three reasons why this name-change was simply never going to happen.

1. It’s tacky. Maria Sharapova is many things: A four-time Slam champion, the highest-paid female athlete on the face of the planet, an intense competitor, loud and shrieky, and the face of an enviable stable of high-end luxury brands, such as Porsche, Tag Heuer, Cole Haan, Evian and Nike. You don’t spend nine years building up that brand profile only to decide to engage in some juvenile and hacky publicity stunt to sell candy.

2. It’s not a simple procedure. While Sharapova is not a U.S. citizen, she does have permanent resident status, which means she can use the U.S. courts to change her name. But it’s not as easy as just submitting some expedited paperwork. The process takes a few weeks, would require Sharapova to get fingerprinted for a criminal background check, and attend a hearing, which can take weeks to schedule. Do we really think all that can happen with the U.S. Open less than a week away?

3. Nike would have to agree to put the Sugarpova logo on their kit: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka and Juan Martin del Potro all have something in common (other than being pro tennis players, of course): None of them are allowed to put any non-Nike sponsor logos on their Nike-branded kits. The only Nike tennis player who is allowed to do so is Li Na, as part of negotiated term in her contract that permits her to wear a Mercedes-Benz logo on one sleeve and Taikang, a Chinese insurance company on the other. I repeat: Li is the only Nike tennis player to have the company’s permission to wear non-Nike brands on her kit.

http://tennis.si.com/2013/08/20/mari...ova-sugarpova/
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM   #911

Sharapova To Sugarpova: Why The Name Change Would Have Been A Silly Business Strategy

Darren Heitner, Contributor

Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova purportedly planned to legally change her name to Maria Sugarpova. According to Sharapova’s agent, the suggested change is no longer a consideration – Maria Sharapova will remain as Maria Sharapova.

Sharapova was reported to have asked the Florida Supreme Court to grant her the ability to officially change her legal name from Sharapova and Sugarpova. It would not have been the first time that an athlete changed his or her legal name, but it would have counted as a rare occurrence of an individual seeking an alternate name for the clear and overt purpose of promoting a commercial endeavor. It also would likely not have been worth the short-term gain that Sharapova received through the onslaught of publicity surrounding the initial announcement that a name change may have been forthcoming.

In 2008, former NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson received approval from a Florida court to change his name to Chad Ocho Cinco. Johnson, known for his flamboyant personality, had the stated intention of changing his name to reflect the Spanish version of his jersey number – No. 85. Four years later, Ocho Cinco went back to being Chad Johnson when the Florida court granted his request to revert back to his birth-name.

While Johnson briefly changed his name to reflect his jersey number, professional basketball player Ron Artest wanted to inspire and bring youth together. Thus, he asked a Los Angeles court for permission to go from being Ron Artest to Metta World Peace. That change was made effective as of September 2011 and remains his name to date.

Johnson and Artest simply serve as recent examples of many athletes who have changed their legal names in the past. What stands out the most concerning Sharapova’s recent effort to scrap her last name is that it was made in a direct effort to promote her brand. Some could argue that Johnson’s short-lived change to Ocho Cinco was similarly made for commercial purposes, and if true, at least the former NFL player was more discrete about his true intentions. While Sharapova’s “publicity stunt” is certainly generating numerous headlines and likely generating the amount of press that she hoped to garner, it was likely a strategy destined to not achieve the goals that Sharapova had in the first place.

“It is fun to try to get short-term publicity, but fundamentally it was not going to change the direction of Sharapova’s product anyway,” explained President of Brand.com Michael Zammuto to FORBES. Zammuto, who focuses on the online presence for individuals and brands noted that Sharapova’s name gets searched roughly 1.5 million times per month while the Sugarpova name only receives about 18,000 searches in the same time span. ”The problem is that Sharapova changing her name would have gotten short-term attention, and she realized that the strategy of bootstrapping on her personality just would not have been enough.”

Zammuto also pointed out that Sharapova’s sponsors, including Nike, Head, Samsung Electronics, Tag Heuer, Porsche and Evian may not have been thrilled with the potential change-of-name. FORBES’ most recent report on the world’s highest-paid female athletes estimates Sharapova’s endorsements at $23 million.

In the end, Sharapova is still Sharapova. However, according to Zammuto, Sugarpova needs a re-branding. ”She has tried to build this entire brand around her publicity,” said Zammuto. ”My argument is that it’s not going that well.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...ness-strategy/
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM   #912
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the comments section on this article (granted its the Daily Mail). Did half of GM decide to contribute?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ollection.html
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #913

Excerpts from NY Times interview with Jimmy Connors:

Quote:
Q. Sharapova has achieved a tremendous amount — four Grand Slam victories — and yet appears to have hit a wall with Serena Williams. I guess you wouldn’t have signed on unless you felt that wall was breakable.

A. There comes a point with a lot of top players when they look for someone who can see something that can maybe get them over the hump. I worked with [the former player and coach] Pancho Segura when I was young, then I sought him out again when I had a bit of a career stall in the late ’70s. With somebody who has Maria’s credentials, it’s not major surgery. I guess the challenge is just to find that one little tweak that she grabs onto — that one little extra thing that she’s looking for. Because she’s not missing anything, let’s face it. Coaching her is an opportunity that came along to me when I wasn’t looking to work, really.

Q. How long have you known her?

A. We spent a little time together before she went down to Australia and won in 2008. So we’ve been friends for five, six years. I always enjoyed watching her — I like the way she goes about things. She has that attitude that I like.

Q. What kind of attitude?

A. I like seeing in somebody just what it means to them — what they’re willing to lay out there to try to be the best. Some players have it in practice, but it doesn’t catch. But it catches with Maria. She’s willing to lay it all out there in practice, and she’s not afraid to do that when she plays her matches, too. That’s pretty special to see.

Q. Your partnership ended abruptly after she lost her first match at a U.S. Open tuneup in Cincinnati. What happened?

A. No comment.

Q. Were you surprised?

A. I was just told my services were no longer needed. I wish her all the best, and I’ll always be a fan. Whenever this happens, it’s mutual.

Q. So was this a mutual decision?

A. It’s her decision for sure. She’s the player, not me.

Q. Is this the downside of trying to work with a player who has already accomplished so much?

A. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. Taking someone from No. 2 to No. 1 — there’s a lot less room.

Q. Do you think what happened reflects the pressure it takes to be No. 1?

A. You’ve just got to do what you think is the best for you, and basically she made that decision. To go out there and grind it out, you’ve got to be good, you have to be healthy, in all ways — mentally, physically and tenniswise. And if there is something that interferes with that, then you have to make a change.

This article updates the print version, which had gone to press before Sharapova pulled out of the tournament.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/ma...adies-man.html
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #914
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

juicy!
malarkist is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #915
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder which came first.....his dismissal, or her realization that she was not going to be able to play the us open.