Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5 - Page 93 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1381
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
I agree that the timing may not be ideal, but (if true) it's absolutely genius advertising.
And really, what does a last name have to do with her performance anyway? The only downside to this is that the media will mock her if she were to bomb out early.
Again though, it's about what changing her name would represent. I don't normally agree with that poster Stromatolite, but his post in GM saying this would symbolically turn her into the new Kournikova was bang-on. I know it might just seem on the surface like a cute marketing move, but I really think, like Kournikova, it would mean the media and crowds would start treating Maria like an entertaining sideshow rather than a legitimate contender, and that DOES affect your tennis. When the sense that Kournikova was just in it for maximising her fame and wasn't totally focussed on her game became widespread, she was toast, because it did affect how the media, crowds and her opponents perceived her and that in turn affected her results.

Plus, as Mexicola said, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with her results. If she'd gone winless this year, but I still felt she was putting in 100%, then I'd still be stanning for her as much as ever. The issue is IF she's prioritising other things over her tennis thesedays....I'm still trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but this stunt is the latest in a series that have got me wondering. But it's got nothing to do with results. I went off Kim in her last couple of years because, even though she was still winning, it's horrible to feel like you care more about a player's results than the player themselves.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #1382
country flag masha122

masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all

this maria sugarpova shit better be a hoax she might loose her credibility as a respected athlete ; she is not kim kardashian who named her daughter north for the sakeof publicity

26/06/2013 the cursed wednesday in wimbledon and tennis
history

Danceney is back !!!
masha122 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1383
country flag Asanty

Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future

Actually this is brilliant idea, very creative. I sorta like it. She is literally everywhere, from Sugarpova to Nike...but I kinda don't care these days, she feels like some actress, not tennis pro. Yeah, there are tons of her practice/workout pics, but it doesn't guarantee anything. I am sure she will be out in R3/R4 (please prove me wrong, Maria) and title race will be again between Aza and Rena. Really sick of it. But big credit to them, they focus on tennis above all.
Asanty is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1384
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously considering boycotting Maria when I'm at the Open if she does this
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1385
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

The hair sucks from what I can see, but fuck I'm so happy

Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1386
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a fake rumour. I just can't imagine her changing her name. The Sharapova name is a brand and even changing it for a week or two would be ridiculous. And i think the fact she hasnt released a statement yet means that they probably think it's good publicity and it can help increase the sales.

Now speaking from a fan's perspective and somebody who doesn't care about Maria's off court activities, let alone that sugarpova BS, I must say that if it's true then she's completely lost it
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1387
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute domon17th has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
She is everywhere. Brilliant.
It must be a problem promoting her line outside the walls of tennisworld, something like this is exactly what she needs to get broader recognition w/o bigger advertising investments. Tho I think she has to invest in near future to some internet/youtube adds at least.

You can say its tacky or embarassing PR, but thats what people interested. Tennis-snobs and hardcore fans are 1% of the mainstream/casual audiance. Sad or no, wearing a flesh dress or giving ridiculous name to your kid is how things must done nowadays.
This is right. Norbert dead on as usual. It's a business move, brilliant marketing. Nothing more nothing less. Besides it's JUST a name change (which is most likely not even going to materialise), she's not devoting alternate days during the Open to do some fancy roadshows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
I think you're both grossly underestimating how far ahead these things are planned in advance. I highly doubt Maria was like, "results are flopping, let's change my name to Sugarpova". STAHP.
Exactly. Only thing that happened which she likely didn't foresee is the incompatibility with Connors' coaching. With regards to her business decisions, I'm sure it was all mapped out. It's the one year anniversary for Sugarpova isn't it? Surely some sort of big buzz-worthy promotional campaign is to be expected right, especially given its success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I'll continue to be the overreacting buzzkill. I am now officially concerned about the mental well-being of Maria if this promotional stunt goes through. After everything that's happened to her in the past couple of months, you'd think now would be a good time to lay low and let the tennis do the talking at the last major of the year. The Connors mistake made her look like a fool and now days later she feels it's the perfect time to put her business first with this ridiculous name change, which will make her the butt of even more mockery.

Maybe at a different time and place, during a good run for Maria where she's winning tournaments and playing at an elite level, this kind of promotion would look cute, fun, and harmless. But after a Wimbledon flameout, 2 coaching changes, including the Connors mess, and winning only 1 match since early June, this looks beyond dumb.
I don't see it that way. In fact I think Martha would gladly see the Sugarpova blitz shadow all that Connors mess and consuming all the press' attention. I consider the Connors thing a much more mentally exhausting change to defend.

And no dsanders, she's not going down the Kournikova route. I mean doubting her that way is just... #fakefan
domon17th is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1388
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

It didn't occur to me until recently, but the whole reason this would have started would really be to give Maria some space from the whole Conners disaster. Lets be real, more people are talking about this than the coaching split anyways, and it's bringing in huuuuge free marketing too. A smart move.

No doubt in my mind she'll actually go through with it.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1389
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post

did Steven hunny just die at the moment Maria praising this?
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1390
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear they just mentioned that sugarpova mess on the most important news channel in my country
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1391
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no ...

https://twitter.com/MashaSugarpova
claypova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1392
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim's_fan_4ever View Post
Oh dear they just mentioned that sugarpova mess on the most important news channel in my country
Mission accomplished, ain't it? She doesn't have to change her name, the thought that she might do it is enough to make it a topic for discussion which is all that she wants to begin with. Others spend millions to get their commercials on the superbowl. All Maria needs to do is say that she's going to change her name and she gets more publicity for sugarpova that they could ever dream of getting for their product.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1393
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Most of you are really acting like a bunch of loonies over this.
Comparing someone with a Career Slam to Kournikova...

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1394
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

What did I tell you guys? Now put your minds at ease and admire the commercial genius of the siberian siren.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UhO7Dr5CSvE

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1395
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
What did I tell you guys? Now put your minds at ease and admire the commercial genius of the siberian siren.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UhO7Dr5CSvE
I'd rather admire the tennis genius of Maria Sharapova, which we haven't seen on display for a while now.

You know what would bring the greatest publicity Maria could ever hope for? Winning the US Open.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread