Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5 - Page 92 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #1366
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
This, tbh. If this really is true, then for me it would indicate that the people who are saying she's now prioritising "building her brand" over her tennis career might have a point, and that's not the reason I stan for her. Even if it is just a joke, I still don't like that she's introducing this distraction (because presumably the aim if it is a joke would be to get press coverage) at a time when she really needs to be focussing on her game. Really might start to question some things soon...
It you thought she was really going to be put under the microsope after the Connors firing, with many questions surrounding her game, this thing would put even more pressure on her to perform well in New York. She has to realize that if she flops in the first 3 rounds, after all the off-court drama, she's inviting a lot of media heat about her commitment to tennis. And it would be legitimate speculation because these recent actions indicate a player whose mind isn't focused first and foremost on being a great tennis player.

I know on the surface, the Sugarpova name change looks like some frivolous fun and creative promotion. But let's face it, this has been a very mediocre year for Maria so far, so it's not as easy to just brush this off as an amusing distraction. Maria has some serious on-court issues she needs to address and I really hope to see some determination and passion from her at the US Open.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #1367
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're both grossly underestimating how far ahead these things are planned in advance. I highly doubt Maria was like, "results are flopping, let's change my name to Sugarpova". STAHP.

Also, it's very easy for Max to circulate these rumours to the press, it's not like it's any attention or taking any time away from the courts. Do you honestly think Maria's losing sleep or energy over people speculating about a ridiculous name change?

She'll have been practicing for 10 days straight in NY before her first match, and she's currently hitting with the best hitting partner she's ever had. Calm yo tits for the time being.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #1368
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
Also, how the fuck did y'all get through 2010 if this is the reactions now?
I can't speak for others, but to me, the 2009-2010 Maria was easier to accept because I understood that it was really difficult for Maria coming back from the shoulder surgery and trying to overcome the crippling serving issues. But there was so much about that Maria to admire. She was trying so hard, match after match, tournament after tournament. She willed herself to victory so often, winning ugly in the face of double digit double faults, relying on that return of hers. You could tell she was so focused on doing everything to get better and leaving her heart and soul on the court in every match, no matter how much she struggled. There was no Twitter. There was no Facebook Social Channel. There was no Sugarpova. It was Maria working her butt off to get better, no matter how long it took. I could sense real dedication and perseverance and focus.

I don't sense that in 2013. After the great 2012, I and many others had great expectations for Maria this year. We all saw what she's capable of when playing to her potential. And for whatever reason, and there are several, she's gotten steadily worse as the year's gone on. And all of her off-court activities haven't helped the perception that total effort on her tennis hasn't been there.

So, 2010 Maria-easy to accept. 2013 Maria-not so much.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #1369
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

Besides, I would prefer MenstrualPova.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #1370
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the timing may not be ideal, but (if true) it's absolutely genius advertising.
And really, what does a last name have to do with her performance anyway? The only downside to this is that the media will mock her if she were to bomb out early.

On a sidenote, my god can some of you OVERREACT. Up till Wimbledon her results were incredible, and now some of you are ready to jump ship. Really sad the lack of faith you give Maria after all these years.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #1371
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post

On a sidenote, my god can some of you OVERREACT. Up till Wimbledon her results were incredible, and now some of you are ready to jump ship. Really sad the lack of faith you give Maria after all these years.
I agree. 2013 hasn't been a poor year at all. July/August just has been a poor couple of months, that's all. But shit happens and you can't be on top all of the time. Things can change very quickly in tennis. Up until a few days ago everyone argued that Serena was utterly dominant and the best player out there by a huge margin. If Vika would win the USO after winning the AO and beating Serena in Doha and Cincy you can bet your life that half of TF will argue that she is in fact the real number one. If Li or Radwanska would win the USO many will say that we now have a big four instead of a big three. And if Maria would win it many of those who now declare 2013 a disaster will argue that it's one of the best years of her career. No matter how unfair and perhaps even absurd it is players are always judged on their most recent performance - even when they have the track record of someone like Maria. Maria will sort things out. If not now then in the future because she has the heart of a champion and will never be satisfied with being one of the many instead of one of the few.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #1372
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

So Maria Sugarpova is all over the UK breakfast shows.

Like you say Chrissie-fan, promo money can't buy.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1373
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

She is everywhere. Brilliant.
It must be a problem promoting her line outside the walls of tennisworld, something like this is exactly what she needs to get broader recognition w/o bigger advertising investments. Tho I think she has to invest in near future to some internet/youtube adds at least.

You can say its tacky or embarassing PR, but thats what people interested. Tennis-snobs and hardcore fans are 1% of the mainstream/casual audiance. Sad or no, wearing a flesh dress or giving ridiculous name to your kid is how things must done nowadays.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1374
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

Maria Sugarpova DEAD I kinda like it but at the same time I don't want her to do it
claypova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #1375
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

Please no

Vartan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1376
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

PEAK Maria on the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten....html#comments

this bitch is a genius
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1377
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
PEAK Maria on the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten....html#comments

this bitch is a genius
Absolutely. People will make fun of it but she'll have the last laugh when she looks at her bank account.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #1378
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

I so hope you're right, Pavstry.

So Neil Harman broke this 'story', right? First the Connors thing, now this, has he recently acquired a link to her camp, or something? He never seemed to break many Masha stories before.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1379
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

also, its ironic how they have the @Sugarpova twitter name now (there was a @Sugarpovacandy at first but probably they didnt like much), but still no blue check and it only has 1000 followers.
Get it together, Max! You just stole a teen girl's twitter, make it worthy!
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1380
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I'll continue to be the overreacting buzzkill. I am now officially concerned about the mental well-being of Maria if this promotional stunt goes through. After everything that's happened to her in the past couple of months, you'd think now would be a good time to lay low and let the tennis do the talking at the last major of the year. The Connors mistake made her look like a fool and now days later she feels it's the perfect time to put her business first with this ridiculous name change, which will make her the butt of even more mockery.

Maybe at a different time and place, during a good run for Maria where she's winning tournaments and playing at an elite level, this kind of promotion would look cute, fun, and harmless. But after a Wimbledon flameout, 2 coaching changes, including the Connors mess, and winning only 1 match since early June, this looks beyond dumb.

When you watch how intense Serena and Vika were yesterday and how badly they want to win and how focused they are with their tennis and then you look at Maria and everything she's been up to lately in comparison, I just shake my head.

Maria Sugarpova? Are you kidding me?

I PRAY this is a hoax.
100% this. On the other hand, the only thing better than her just changing it, would be her winning the Open, and then having Sugarpova engraved forever to that trophy

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread