Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 60 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #886
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
Hi Philbo, great that you visited Martina's tennisclub. I remember the sweet story when you saw Martina in Australia.
Im glad someone remembers that! It was almost 10 years ago now! Im touched
Last year at Roland Garros I was stalking the junior aussies on the back courts and on an empty court I noticed a couple of ladies come out to have a warm up hit. I noticed one was peroxide blonde and it took me about 3 seconds to realise it was Jana Novotna.. Then I realised immediately that the lady with her (wearing a hat so not so quick to recognise) was Martina!

I was the only person near the court so I yelled out 'I love you Martina' and she turned to me gave me a big smile and a thumbs up... Ill take that as my 2nd 'meeting' with the Queen
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #887
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis magazine here in the US has a nice article this month on how the 1981 US Open transformed Martina's career.

I'll try to post snippets if I can.

Philbo-was it hard to get to Revnice? I will be in Prague in February and am considering it as a sidetrip.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #888
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

No I just got a train which took about 20 minutes from the central Prague train station. I had a local 'friend' who did all the navigating so I didnt pay too much attention!
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #889
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Rollo, was it not the embarrasing 6-0 6-0 defeat at Amelia Island against Chris Evert that turned her career around. She met Nancy Lieberman there and she started getting into shape and the rest is history.
That was a stupid thing of Chris not to allow Martina to win one or two games, but I am glad she did because I am a Martina fan.

It was a pity Martina had to do it the way she did with defection and all, she had a great career but it could have even be better.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #890
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Martina and Rennae Stubbs won the legends doubles at the US Open 6-2 6-4 against Chanda Rubin and Iva Majoli.
They only had to win 2 matches because in New York there are not many legend matches both for men and women.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #891
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rollo, was it not the embarrasing 6-0 6-0 defeat at Amelia Island against Chris Evert that turned her career around. She met Nancy Lieberman there and she started getting into shape and the rest is history.
That was a stupid thing of Chris not to allow Martina to win one or two games, but I am glad she did because I am a Martina fan.

Hi Wimbledon9 (love the nickname BTW)-sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.

You are right of course. The shell shock shellacking at Amelia Island set the alarm bells off. The US Open showed that her hard work since then was paying off. The actual payoff itself came when she won down under at the Aussie Open.

Quote:
It was a pity Martina had to do it the way she did with defection and all, she had a great career but it could have even be better.
I'm less sure on this question. No doubt she would have won more earlier, but in many ways leaving Czechoslovakia may have been the best thing for her. Had the communists played nicer with her who knows how things would have gone? Her stepdad really had a large part to play in her development. During her "slump" period she was dealing with both Rita Mar Brown and her family being in the US-with daddy trying to be the coach.

I'm just so happy she perservered. I really do believe in the old saying that it takes serve and volleyers longer to mature. It's a pity that so few of them can or do serve and volley (or even volley at all) these days.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #892
country flag Wimbledon9

Rollo. well we can always think about what could have happened, I am also referring to the years from 1976 till 1978 when she won Wimbledon Rita Mae Brown and her father where not in sight then. I agree serve and volleyers take longer to mature but Martina was a really good one at a younger age but she became still better at it.

One year after her defection she lost at the US Open first round and she was a mass she was afraid she would fail and had sacrificed so much. She even thought about going back but then she would have gone to jail for two years.
I am also very happy she persevered. Do these young tennisfans on this forum who are insulting Martina so much know these things.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #893
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

We'll never know the impact of her defection on her career.She's a very emotional person ,that costed her some victories .If she had Serena's mental ,for example ,her GS titles will be > 20 .I suppose we love her because of this sweet touch of her personality .Of course the young haters know nothing about her ,tennis had beginning for them in the 21th century .
Us open wrote a list of the 40 important women moments in us open history .Martina is the most nominated with 7 articles "Martina's been a tremendous ambassador for the game here in the U.S., there in the Czech Republic, and really all over the world. There's a reason she's made this list of 40 probably more than any other player! "
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #894
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
One year after her defection she lost at the US Open first round and she was a mass she was afraid she would fail and had sacrificed so much. She even thought about going back but then she would have gone to jail for two years.
1976 sure was a wreck for her. I've only seen clips from the famous meltdown at the US Open. What doesn't kill you can make you stronger though if you have the right attitude. My take on Martina is that the trial by fire surely made her stronger. She was back on track by 1977 and conquering the world in 1978.

Quote:
Posted by Calou We'll never know the impact of her defection on her career.She's a very emotional person ,that costed her some victories .If she had Serena's mental ,for example ,her GS titles will be > 20 .I suppose we love her because of this sweet touch of her personality .Of course the young haters know nothing about her ,tennis had beginning for them in the 21th century .
Us open wrote a list of the 40 important women moments in us open history .Martina is the most nominated with 7 articles "Martina's been a tremendous ambassador for the game here in the U.S., there in the Czech Republic, and really all over the world. There's a reason she's made this list of 40 probably more than any other player! "
Speaking of tennis moments-have you ever seen the 1986 semi vs Steffi? It's a gem of match and showcased Martina's mental strength. 3 match points saved-one on a passing shot she she go that landed barely an inch long!

Calou-could you do me a favor and copy and paste those US Open articles for me into a thread? Then I link it to Martina's post in the "Greatest US Open Champions thread" I 'm working on.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #895
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
1976 sure was a wreck for her. I've only seen clips from the famous meltdown at the US Open. What doesn't kill you can make you stronger though if you have the right attitude. My take on Martina is that the trial by fire surely made her stronger. She was back on track by 1977 and conquering the world in 1978.

Speaking of tennis moments-have you ever seen the 1986 semi vs Steffi? It's a gem of match and showcased Martina's mental strength. 3 match points saved-one on a passing shot she she go that landed barely an inch long!

Calou-could you do me a favor and copy and paste those US Open articles for me into a thread? Then I link it to Martina's post in the "Greatest US Open Champions thread" I 'm working on.
I didn't watch the 86semi final because i couldn't .At that period the US open was on a new TV channel which i couldn't receipt in my area .So i listened to radio .
The link of 40 import ants etc...http://usta.usopen.org/US-Open/40_im...omens_moments/

Last edited by calou : Sep 10th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #896
country flag calou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
Rollo. well we can always think about what could have happened, I am also referring to the years from 1976 till 1978 when she won Wimbledon Rita Mae Brown and her father where not in sight then. I agree serve and volleyers take longer to mature but Martina was a really good one at a younger age but she became still better at it.

I am also very happy she persevered. Do these young tennisfans on this forum who are insulting Martina so much know these things.
You genuinely perseverate in debating with the haters on GM.I told you on Martina message board i've a bit let down .I'm definitively letting down like many Martina fans .It's wasting time because they're younger ,have never seen her play and don't know the real Martina .At my age i think it's ridiculous trying to convince these morons
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #897
country flag Wimbledon9

Calou, hello I have to kick the habit of going there I only made one message yesterday and I think that is the last one.
Yes I also noticed there were many articles about Martina in the WTA 40 series but then she is an interesting player and person.

Rollo,I have seen parts of this 1986 match it was great, I think the match is still on youtube.
I find it strange that I cannot find the final of the French Open 1984 on youtube. I saw it once on the French site INA I saw it directly on Dutch television.
That match against Chris she was so full of touch play they should show that when people say Martina was only a powerplayer she had so much touch.
The French reporter was excited.

I realize with all the celebrations of the WTA 40 years that Chris and Martina know each other also for 40 years. The WTA should do something with that, the year is not over yet. I also think Steffi Graf is missing in action greatly for the WTA.

So was Andre Agassi on the gathering of all number 1 of the ATP in New York or has he not been number 1?

Excuses for making a mass of mess I corrected it, english is not my first language so it is not perfect.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #898
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
We'll never know the impact of her defection on her career.She's a very emotional person ,that costed her some victories .If she had Serena's mental ,for example ,her GS titles will be > 20 .I suppose we love her because of this sweet touch of her personality .Of course the young haters know nothing about her ,tennis had beginning for them in the 21th century .
Martina's demons undoubtedly cost her a few victories but I think the main reason Martina's (and Chrissie's) slam count is <20 is what was happening in tennis in the late 70s. For example, the same week Kerry Reid was picking up her one major in Australia in January 1977, Martina thrashed Wade and Evert to win the VS of Washington and while Barbara Jordan won the 1979 Aussie Open, Martina won the Colgate Series Champs in Washington drubbing Austin. Similarly, it's hard to bet against Chris dominating the French Open had there been a full-stength field 76-78.

In the end though, even if Martina & Chris had both cleared 20 majors, would it really make that much difference? To a few records, to the bean-counters and to the badly informed , maybe, but with 18, 20 or 22 majors, they'd still be among the greatest players ever to have played the game.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #899
country flag Jakebfletch

Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice

I think that Martina's been robbed of at least a couple of titles in her career. The WTA statistics always say that she has won 167 titles but what about her wins at the Gunze tennis tournament in 1979 and 1980? It seems that the WTA doesn't seem to acknowledge any results from that tournament from 1978 onwards and it's not the first time that the WTA seems to have omitted players results.
Jakebfletch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #900
tommyk75

tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I remember the Gunze event in Tokyo as being an exhibition event with only 4 women-draws.
tommyk75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote