Daddy Knows Best: Maria back with Papa Yuri after split from Connors - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #61
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Independent Woman: Maria Coachless At The US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Quite possibly, Maria does seem like someone who might be motivated by "tough love" to an extent, but I always just got the vibe that the dynamic of their relationship had become unhealthy (as most relationships between a parent-coach and player do on the WTA).
They have probably both grown up a fair bit in that time, it's difficult to guess what their dynamic will be like now. Yuri certainly seems to have mellowed out from what I have seen, and when we have heard of his involvement in coaching in recent times (like the rain delay phone call at last year's USO), his influence was postitive.

Either way, I'm fairly certain this is just a temporary fix. The only way I can see Yuri staying on is if Maria does exceptionally well. Have to bear in mind that Maria has always said her father wanted to find expertise for Maria, rather than trying to apply it himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobruiz View Post
I don't remember Yuri ever saying Maria couldn't beat Justine and, for that matter, I just do not believe he would ever tell Joyce that Maria flat out could not beat Serena. Yuri is not like that.
Yeah I was just imagining if he had... I don't think Yuri is like that either.

Maria Sharapova: Always on Your Mind
AnnieIWillKnow is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #62
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
For all you know, it could be reverse psychology. Maybe he wanted Maria to know that he didn't think she could beat Henin, so that she would be determined to prove him wrong. You don't know what their dynamic is. And if what you say is true, then the result of it was Maria beating Henin in a GS final.
I wouldn't find this to be too shocking tbf. For most people, the disapproval of a parent can get you pretty damn determined to prove them wrong, and she never looked more ferocious and determined than she did around then or whenever Yuri was around really.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #63
country flag ServeCaspian

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't necessarily think their relationship was turning south at all, it was Yuri who sat Maria down after A0 08 and said she was gonna have to go it alone. Yuri was always one to bring people in so that she could maximise her potential, and she'd made it at that stage. I don't care what anyone says but the tennis she was playing was unrivaled, she would have definitely won another Slam that season if the shoulder didn't happen.

And perhaps she will be tougher when he's there, she started to become a flop at closing out matches when he left, although the strain of knowing her shoulder wasn't right and everyone telling her it was could have affected her mentality .
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #64
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobruiz View Post
I don't remember Yuri ever saying Maria couldn't beat Justine and, for that matter, I just do not believe he would ever tell Joyce that Maria flat out could not beat Serena. Yuri is not like that.
Am I going completely crazy and completely imagining it? I still can't find anything online about it. I just have this really strong memory of, at Wimbledon 2006, when most people were anticipating a Henin-Sharapova final, I remember some commentators on the BBC coverage discussing the prospect and saying something like "even her own dad is reported to think she can't beat her". I think it was something along the lines of Yuri (being quoted as) saying Justine had too much variety for her which Maria is incapable of matching. I am determined to find proof
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #65
country flag Kitten63

Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Am I going completely crazy and completely imagining it? I still can't find anything online about it. I just have this really strong memory of, at Wimbledon 2006, when most people were anticipating a Henin-Sharapova final, I remember some commentators on the BBC coverage discussing the prospect and saying something like "even her own dad is reported to think she can't beat her". I think it was something along the lines of Yuri (being quoted as) saying Justine had too much variety for her which Maria is incapable of matching. I am determined to find proof
I don't recall anything like that at all. Could be wrong though

I am happy to see Yuri back though..

Anna Chakvetadze Petra Kvitova Jelena Jankovic Nicole Vaidisova Svetlana Kuznetsova Dinara Safina Elena Dementieva Vera Zvonereva Nadia Petrova Marion Bartoli Samantha Stosur

0663...Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Federer Gasquet Djokovic Youzhny Berdych Ancic Soderling
Kitten63 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #66
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Really? I mean she did beat Juju Heng at Miami right? (Granted she was coming back from injury)
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #67
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

So do we know for certain Yuri's going to be with Masha for the USO?

BTW so glad I missed the whole Maria Sugarpova fiasco
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #68
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Saw Matt Cronin tweet it.

Maria Sharapova: Always on Your Mind
AnnieIWillKnow is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:14 AM   #69
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Oh thanks I guess Yuri's better than no coach
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 12:34 AM   #70
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter now. Maria just withdrew from the USO due to shoulder injury.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #71
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Daddy Knows Best: Maria back with Papa Yuri after split from Connors

I have seen a thread in GM that has got me thinking. Who do you guys think Maria will or has picked as her coach? Has anyone got someone on their wishlist that they think would make a great coach.

Some names that have been thrown around that I thought sounded good included:

Annacone (although I havent heard that he has split with Roger)
Brad Gilbert
Martina N
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #72
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
I have seen a thread in GM that has got me thinking. Who do you guys think Maria will or has picked as her coach? Has anyone got someone on their wishlist that they think would make a great coach.

Some names that have been thrown around that I thought sounded good included:

Annacone (although I havent heard that he has split with Roger)
Brad Gilbert
Martina N
I've been wondering this too. I hope she finds a coach that benefits her the most, not just someone with a big name.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #73
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future

Is the non mention of joyce a narrow specific reason, or just a general take it for granted that he is not acceptable? It is not like she was a total failure with him as her coach.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #74
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
Is the non mention of joyce a narrow specific reason, or just a general take it for granted that he is not acceptable? It is not like she was a total failure with him as her coach.
I dont think as a primary/technical coach he is that great. I think he is a good hitting partner/motivator and assistant coach but not as the head honcho. Plus it would be going backwards. Maria is looking for someone to take her to that next level.

TBH I would even be happy to have Connors back. Hoggie did a great job with her fitness and technique if she could keep that up I think Connors would take her mentality to the next level and really unleash that inner mongrel again that she had in her early years. She is still a fierce competitor but she was such a vicious and mean competitor in her early years and I think she needs it back.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #75
country flag Guest12315544
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just hoping her shoulder gets well enough so she can play again!
Guest12315544 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote