The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!! - Page 27 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #391
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
I thought Tracy Austin sounded disingenuous when she claimed that her favourite player, or the one she idolised, was Evonne Cawley. Chris Evert was justified in saying what she did about Austin basing her game on Evert's. Tracy Austin looked quite defensive during the exchange in question. I couldn't help remembering how many major singles titles (2) she had won compared to Evert (18).
-----
Does idolizing a player necessarily mean patterning your game (or on-court behavior) after him/her? I think especially of McEnroe and Laver; while they were both nominally serve-and-volleyers, there is some difference in both game and, er, attitude. Or even just further on the WTA 40-Love thing: there's Martina Hingis saying Monica Seles was her idol growing up, followed immediately by Monica Seles saying Martina Navratilova was her idol. Not much similarity there.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #392
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this up as it relates to another thread.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #393
country flag aarynginamarie

aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all aarynginamarie is a name known to all

I unfortunately never saw the two play live. My dad saw them play live in the Canadian Open final once. I will ask him in some more detail what he thought.
aarynginamarie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #394
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I unfortunately never saw the two play live. My dad saw them play live in the Canadian Open final once. I will ask him in some more detail what he thought.
Ask him if he saw any any others matches too.

If I could watch one non-slam event from start to finish this would rank high. It had the best field all year outside the slams (and better than some slams), Tracy Awesome beating Chris and Martina, Hana giving a linesman the finger, and at the end of their match Pam Shriver making Tracy Austin cry by calling her something unprintable!

And the crowds came out in droves.

The Canadian event has been a "biggie" for the women ever since.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #395
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarynginamarie View Post
I've seen them both play live - but not against each other - Wimbledon, Brighton and Eastbourne.

Titles (7) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome, YEC Singapore
Doubles - (Rank : 5) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #396
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

ROLLO friend: i think that shriver and austin at the net "incident" was at the san diego open NOT the canadian open? though i could be wrong... i thought it was san diego because it was the 1st time after shriver's upset of austin at wimbledon that they played each other and tracy was just a bit too "happy" at the end for shriver's liking?!...
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #397
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
ROLLO friend: i think that shriver and austin at the net "incident" was at the san diego open NOT the canadian open? though i could be wrong... i thought it was san diego because it was the 1st time after shriver's upset of austin at wimbledon that they played each other and tracy was just a bit too "happy" at the end for shriver's liking?!...
I'm pretty sure it was Canada-but lets check and find out.

It mad for juicy headlines at any rate. 1981 is one of my favorite years-EVER.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #398
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold

It was at the Canadian.
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=185014

Oops. I just saw Rollo beat me to the punch. I LOVE the quote about their meeting as pre-teens.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote