How much better is Serena than Vika on Hardcourts? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #1
country flag powerbackhand

powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of
How much better is Serena than Vika on Hardcourts?

Its undeniable that Serena's best play is considerably better than Vikas on grass and clay, but how much better is she on hard?

Hard
Serena leads 7-3

They have played 5 times at hard court slams(5-0 to Serena)
However, with the exception of the AO R16 2008, where Serena victored 63 64, all matches have been highly competitive.
AO 2009 R16: Azarenka led by a set when she was forced to retire
AO 2010 QF: Azarenka led by a set and 4-0
US 2011 R32: competive 2nd set
US 2012 F: Azarenka was within 2 points of winning

Outside slams they have played a further 5 times. Azarenkas leads (3-2)with all wins occuring in Premier finals.
powerbackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #2
country flag Bad Blood
大好き

Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much better is Serena than Vika on Hardcourts?

Oh my enough with these threads. Both are very good hard court players, but Serena is in a league of her own

The 10 Grand Slam hard court titles vs 2 says enough

Bad Blood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #3
country flag powerbackhand

powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of powerbackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenFondue View Post
Oh my enough with these threads. Both are very good hard court players, but Serena is in a league of her own

Yes Serena is undoubtably better than Azarenka on hard courts, but I dont think the gap between them on this surface is anywhere near as big as most people imply. People seem to assume that if Serena is on form she will blow Azarenka off the court (like she can do on grass), and that the match is only close because SErena is way off her game etc... But this clearly isnt the case as almost all their hardcourt matches have been well contested..
powerbackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #4
country flag Banzai Sayonara

Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all Banzai Sayonara is a name known to all

Shouldn't the question be "How much better is Azarenka than Serena on hard courts?"?
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #5
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:

Yeah because GS title comparison between players who started the tour 8...EIGHT years apart(Azarenka was only 10 by the time Serena had already WON a GS).....is totally indicative of how they match up/who is better
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #6
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not mention Serena's injury in the Miami final, Serena was told by Richard not to play that final. I hate when people don;t mention that. On that note, currently on hardcourt i would say Serena is 8/10 and Azarenka is 6.5/10. On other surfaces though the gap is huge.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #7
country flag Bad Blood
大好き

Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
Yeah because GS title comparison between players who started the tour 8...EIGHT years apart(Azarenka was only 10 by the time Serena had already WON a GS).....is totally indicative of how they match up/who is better
fine, lets try since 2008 (when they first met)

Azarenka has 2 HC slams

Serena has 4 HC slams

better?

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #8
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Vika is a hardcourt genius and will be a strong favourite in all Australian and US Opens in this decade. But Serena is still a lot better than Vika if they are both at their best.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #9
country flag JRena

JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of

On hardcourt, I'd compare the gap to how she plays Dementieva.

Dementieva can win some of the lesser tournaments but she never beat Serena in a grandslam.
JRena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #10
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future

I give Rena a slight edge if they are both in very good form.

Vee Townsend Keys Mladenovic
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #11
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
Should we then go to hard court GS wins by the time Serena was Vika's age?
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #12
country flag Bad Blood
大好き

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRena View Post
On hardcourt, I'd compare the gap to how she plays Dementieva.

Dementieva can win some of the lesser tournaments but she never beat Serena in a grandslam.
This is a good comparison really

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #13
country flag RyanGuy

RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold RyanGuy is a splendid one to behold

Maria Sharapova is just a transitional grand slam winner between Serena and Azarenka
RyanGuy is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #14
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGuy View Post
Maria Sharapova is just a transitional grand slam winner between Serena and Azarenka
A watered down version of Graf (had Seles not being stabbed) or Hingis. Still you can't blame her for making the most of the transition.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #15
country flag PMBH

PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future

Quote:
fine, lets try since 2008 (when they first met)

Azarenka has 2 HC slams

Serena has 4 HC slams

better?
Vika is 2-1 against Serena in the last three HC slams...
PMBH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote