Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Struggle Tennis - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #196
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post
My bottom line: Maria needs to do some serious soul searching. She's at an age where nothing will come as easily as it had, and as she gets older there will be only more distractions. Hard to believe if your name is Sharapova, but it's true. She needs to ask herself what price she's willing to pay to get it back together. Personally, I don't think Connors is the right guy. I see his addition as a USO stunt. Maria needs a coach that she will let push her where she hasn't been willing to go and demand of her things that others are likely afraid to demand.

Anyway, thanks for the response and thoughts and indulging my interloping.
Oh, you're preaching to the choir about that one. The day it was announced he was her new coach was the most upset I've been about anything related to Maria in 9 years of following her. I just have no respect for him as a coach or person. But it's done and nothing can change that. All you can do is hope for the best.

What this pairing does do is put enormous pressure on Maria for 2014. She should get a pass for the rest of this year, considering everything that we've documented about the injury/layoff/coach. However, I believe Maria MUST win a major next year or there's a very good possibility in my mind that she won't win another one again. If she goes slamless in 2014, I think it's a certainty Connors won't be around beyond that because he's only on board for majors and when it's not happening relatively quickly, he'll bolt. Like we saw with Roddick. So then Maria would be facing the prospect of yet another coaching change for 2015, which means another transitional period, as she goes on to 28 years of age. And the players coming up are only getting younger and more athletic, so it won't be easy for her to keep holding them off.

I believe 2014 to be a make or break year for her as far as majors go. And if she manages to win one and this partnership looks like it's making progress and her game is executing at a consistently high level, then it's possible she'll win more then one major and continue to be a championship factor for a few more years. She just needs that breakthrough for her confidence and to alleviate the pressure and scrutiny that this "SharaConnors" thing has brought.

But it all hinges on what she does in 2014.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #197
country flag zigga

zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of zigga has much to be proud of
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Struggle Tennis

This loss is worrying but to be fair it was her first match in a long time.
And I really hope Connors wasn't a mistake but only time will tell.
Hoping for a good US open, at least QF would be nice.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #198
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Oh, you're preaching to the choir about that one. The day it was announced he was her new coach was the most upset I've been about anything related to Maria in 9 years of following her. I just have no respect for him as a coach or person. But it's done and nothing can change that. All you can do is hope for the best.

What this pairing does do is put enormous pressure on Maria for 2014. She should get a pass for the rest of this year, considering everything that we've documented about the injury/layoff/coach. However, I believe Maria MUST win a major next year or there's a very good possibility in my mind that she won't win another one again. If she goes slamless in 2014, I think it's a certainty Connors won't be around beyond that because he's only on board for majors and when it's not happening relatively quickly, he'll bolt. Like we saw with Roddick. So then Maria would be facing the prospect of yet another coaching change for 2015, which means another transitional period, as she goes on to 28 years of age. And the players coming up are only getting younger and more athletic, so it won't be easy for her to keep holding them off.

I believe 2014 to be a make or break year for her as far as majors go. And if she manages to win one and this partnership looks like it's making progress and her game is executing at a consistently high level, then it's possible she'll win more then one major and continue to be a championship factor for a few more years. She just needs that breakthrough for her confidence and to alleviate the pressure and scrutiny that this "SharaConnors" thing has brought.

But it all hinges on what she does in 2014.
Nice post. "Gotta spread some..."
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #199
Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin Mary should be crucified.
Mistress of Evil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #200
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

WTF Maria

Huge disappointment. Can`t believe she lost to annoying Stephens

Maria is definitely in a slump now. Please wake up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineBiere View Post
Maria`s worst match ever. 16 Winners, 62 UEs = - 46 !

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #201
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post

Maria`s worst match ever.
No, it is not her worst match ever.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #202
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Maria's worst match
RG 2004
Maria - SUAREZ, Paola 1-6 3-6
Maria:
Points won: 31
UE: 40
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #203
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but she was hardly a four time Grand Slam champion, former World No. 1, and current World No. 3 when that happened.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #204
country flag denny5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
Yeah, but she was hardly a four time Grand Slam champion, former World No. 1, and current World No. 3 when that happened.
Are we talking about the worst match of the four time Grand Slam champion, former World No. 1, and current World No. 3 or about the worst match of Maria Sharapova?
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #205
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

IMO, she just looked like a woman in flux on court. Clearly she was trying to implement the new playing style (not technique, but shot selection and approach) that Connors is bringing, but, in her angst do so, she looked so rushed and out of sorts.

Not necessarily unreasonable given the drastic change in gameplan Connors is probably trying to achieve with her. Hopefully they stick with it rather than get to some shitty middle ground
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #206
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
Are we talking about the worst match of the four time Grand Slam champion, former World No. 1, and current World No. 3 or about the worst match of Maria Sharapova?
I'm just saying you have to look at these things in context.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #207
country flag Abuttons

Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold

I did not think that Sloane would be an easy first opponent, but still expected Maria to win.
Not a very good preparation for the USO, let's see what Maria will be able to deliver there. I just hope that we can still see some good tennis from her in the remaining tournaments of this year.
Abuttons is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote