Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Struggle Tennis - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #181
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Struggle Tennis

She played the french open final, didn't play for how long then? 3-4 weeks? lost R2 Wimbledon and then another 7-8 weeks off. Not surprised by the loss but it was frustrating seeing forehand after forehand being hit into the net.
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Marion Bartoli Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #182
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Well, not surprising, but shame she had to lose to someone like Stephens.

Maria has been so unfocused lately. Since she started dating that metro guy, her carrer has been heading into a downward spiral and she seems more interested in selling candy than playing tennis

2013 was starting to look like a fantastic year with her results leading into the FO being even better than in 2012. She looked pretty great in the FO, especially vs Vika and you could tell she was miles ahead everyone else on the tour apart from Serena. She then valiantly fought in the final and gave a good performance.

Wimbledon was understandable as well given how unprepared everyone else was and how lightly she took it. She didn't come in prepared and in addition to that she got injured. In general, I don't think Wimbledon is a tournament we will be looking for in her future career.

This loss is perhaps one of her worst in recent years and is almost a copy of her 2010 type of losses. It's beyond me how she could have 16 winners and 62 UE Stephens did absolutely nothing to deserve this win, it was gifted to her. The alarming thing is that her game is completely off and so is her confidence. She will be heading into the USO with one match on hard courts under her belt and a losing streak which is really, really bad. Unlike AO the previous two years (where she didn't have any preparation), this is a lot different. She is by no means fresh and a lot of players are used to going into the AO without a warmup.

Honestly, the end of the year will be bed as most of us can expect. Realistically, the biggest goal we can expect at the USO is R4 (and I'm being generous here) and I fear she wont even reach that far.

Vika isn't playing great either, but she is at least playing a lot more matches and will be fit by the USO. Like I said for Wimbledon too (when everyone told me I was crazy), Serena will most likely lose in R4/QF and Maria isn't even a contender to begin with, so the main contender will be Azarenka. No matter her warumps, she saves the best for Slams and I would be surprised if anyone other than her won it. I've been saying it since the end of the year that she would win both AO and USO

As for Maria, she has a lot of work to do before she gets to at least average form. I'm not confident going into the USO at all, but this is sports and something you have to deal with as a fan.
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #183
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

at people blaming Connors.
Blaming the timing and choice of a coach change? Probably reasonable.
Blaming the coach? It's been a grand total of only one match, no? She did lose to Greta Arn in Auckland the very first tournament with Hoggy.

So Martha declined the WC to New Haven, I see her bull-shitting her way to the QF and running out of gas against probably Bartoli this time in New York.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #184
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Also she said she's going back to Florida to practice but sources say she's still scheduled to practice in Cinci. So i guess WAGing and Sugarpova have priority...kay gurl
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #185
country flag MiiMo

MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMePova View Post
Also she said she's going back to Florida to practice but sources say she's still scheduled to practice in Cinci. So i guess WAGing and Sugarpova have priority...kay gurl
I just hope it means she'll ask Yuri for some help ...

World Number One : The One and Only One

PS : Haters gonna hate

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/UpdateWTA
MiiMo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #186
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
...I doubt it's anything to do with the hip injury. More like she is rusty and couldn't find the timing on her strokes (her backhand looked the worst it's ever been). Tbh, even someone as consistent as Vika couldn't find her rhythm at Carlsbad after a long lay off due to her injury. ...this loss should be yet another alarming call for her team and herself.
Then why not attempt to scramble as she has in the past. Certain shots she seemed to make no effort at all on balls that, with a little extra effort, could have been kept in play. Also, it seemed to me, just on a technical level, she was pulling up, off balls driving them into the net. She wasn't staying down. To me, that is an issue of fitness and lower body strength/health(ie, the hip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Well, first off, I think you have to factor in rust. When you have an injury and many weeks away from competition, you're going to see sloppy tennis. ...Next point is one I've made a couple of times here, which is the coaching change. I won't go into it too much again here, but, suffice it to say, the coaching transition is a factor and I think working with a new voice has affected her timing and precision with her game overall...
I have no doubt rust was a factor, but I don't think that it was as much as fitness/health. After all, she came out sharp (pun not intended). Only as the match went on, became more physical, did she begin to break down. This was most telling on her bh side. Early on, she was doing exactly as she should have - torturing Stephens on the backhand, drawing either an error or a sitter. But it was Maria who couldn't sustain the onslaught. Sloane's bh got better - grooved even - and Maria's bh broke down under the physical nature of the exchanges. But it wasn't just her backhand. She was pulling up and off her forehand too.

The whole thing reminded me of the effect latter-peak Agassi had on his opponents after Agassi took away their legs.

As for the coaching change, as much as I'd like to blame Connors, it's hard for me to believe that he could have had this negative of an effect in so short a time.

My bottom line: Maria needs to do some serious soul searching. She's at an age where nothing will come as easily as it had, and as she gets older there will be only more distractions. Hard to believe if your name is Sharapova, but it's true. She needs to ask herself what price she's willing to pay to get it back together. Personally, I don't think Connors is the right guy. I see his addition as a USO stunt. Maria needs a coach that she will let push her where she hasn't been willing to go and demand of her things that others are likely afraid to demand.

Anyway, thanks for the response and thoughts and indulging my interloping.

Last edited by DOUBLEFIST : Aug 14th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #187
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

Did Connors come onto court?
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #188
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post
Then why not attempt to scramble as she has in the past. Certain shots she seemed to make no effort at all on balls that, with a little extra effort, could have been kept in play. Also, it seemed to me, just on a technical level, she was pulling up, off balls driving them into the net. She wasn't staying down. To me, that is an issue of fitness and lower body strength/health(ie, the hip).

I have no doubt rust was a factor, but I don't think that it was as much as fitness/health. After all, she came out sharp (pun not intended). Only as the match went on, became more physical, did she begin to break down. This was most telling on her bh side. Early on, she was doing exactly as she should have - torturing Stephens on the backhand, drawing either an error or a sitter. But it was Maria who couldn't sustain the onslaught. Sloane's bh got better - grooved even - and Maria's bh broke down under the physical nature of the exchanges. But it wasn't just her backhand. She was pulling up and off her forehand too.

The whole thing reminded me of the effect latter-peak Agassi had on his opponents after Agassi took away their legs.

As for the coaching change, as much as I'd like to blame Connors, it's hard for me to believe that he could have had this negative of an effect in so short a time.

My bottom line: Maria needs to do some serious soul searching. She's at an age where nothing will come as easily as it had, and as she gets older there will be only more distractions. Hard to believe if your name is Sharapova, but it's true. She needs to ask herself what price she's willing to pay to get it back together. Personally, I don't think Connors is the right guy. I see his addition as a USO stunt. Maria needs a coach that she will let push her where she hasn't been willing to go and demand of her things that others are likely afraid to demand.

Anyway, thanks for the response and thoughts and indulging my interloping.
I don't think the hip is still injured as such.

But it was more serious than initially thought, she did do about two weeks or more of nothing other than rehab for it.

I think maybe it was just like the second set in Wimbledon, where the falls affected her confidence, not running, not staying down, playing timidly. I guess she was just over cautious about it. I don't think it's not fully healed as such.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #189
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Monheaux View Post
No.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #190
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Monheaux View Post
No and I don't think Maria will be calling him on court. Also some people said he was facepalming during some of Maria's mistakes that must have been a huge confidence boost for her
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #191
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMePova View Post
No and I don't think Maria will be calling him on court. Also some people said he was facepalming during some of Maria's mistakes that must have been a huge confidence boost for her
Maybe a bit of #ToughLove is what Maria needs. Someone like Yuri never held back his disgust for Poova & Errorpova.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #192
country flag PimpMePova

^It didn't seem to work yesterday though I don't know I think at this stage of her career a pep talk pumps her up more, she doesn't have the confidence she had before the shoulder surgery
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #193
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

I can't hold this match too much against her. She was out for five weeks. Her movement was not there. She also seemed to make more mistakes with basic shots rather than ones where she went for it. That's clearly a sign of lack of matches. Plus, there's a new voice. But clearly something's not clicking like it was in the first half of the year. Maybe time and match play is all she needs to iron them out. But with so much focus on candy and her pretty poodle boy I am getting a slight bit worried.

Last edited by Icky80 : Aug 14th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #194
country flag jameshazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky80 View Post
I can't hold this match too much against her. She was out for five weeks. Her movement was not there. She also seemed to make more mistakes with basic shots rather than ones where she went for it. That's clearly a sign of lack of matches. Plus, there's a new voice. But clearly something's not clicking like it was in the first half of the year. Maybe time and match play is all she needs to iron them out. But with so much focus on candy and her pretty poodle boy I am getting a slight bit worried.
Honestly I don't get the impression Grigor is taking up so much of her time.
And she's managing Sugarpova very well, the only thing really that takes up her time where it's concerned is a couple of hours at the launches. Everything else is managed and planned by others I'm sure.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #195
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

I was mostly being sarcastic, but the slight dip in her play did come along when she and poodle hair were outed. Just sayin'.
Icky80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote