Music Thread - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 9th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #136
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Music Thread

There has got to be at least one other Grand Funk Railroad fan here (Chrissie-fan?). I think that this title accurately describes where Caroline is at:

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 9th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #137
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

Well DIAH her is some inspiring music for you just replace the name with Carolina and you're hooked

One of the best tunes from 1979(I think it was) by The Knack - here in a newer version - hope you remember it.
Hoergren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #138
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I remember that song when it was new (I was born in 1980) but I am certainly familiar with it.

Old Aug 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #139
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
There has got to be at least one other Grand Funk Railroad fan here (Chrissie-fan?). I think that this title accurately describes where Caroline is at:
It would be an exaggeration to say I'm a fan but I like them ok, especially the early work.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #140
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

Let's refresh a bit from the 70ties. Here is my favourite rock'N'Roll band - Flamin Groovies - an overseen American pearl. Here first the IMHO best version of Little Richards Keep a knockin from 1957:

And their own monster hit which never was Headin for the texican border - might be good with the ongoing series The Bridge:

And one last fabulous rocker - Teenage head:

Hope it'll rock your bones
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #141
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A natural born killer - 6 year old rocker - have a look!

and here LIVE

and here with a band in June this year still only 6!
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #142
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

When reading an online article about Caroline I saw a link to another article - "Linda Ronstadt diagnosed with Parkinsons." Shocking. A reminder how quickly time flies. In the days of my youth Linda was one of the best looking women in music. For my taste her only real competition in that regard was Stevie Nicks and the blonde one from Abba. But more important than that, she had an absolutely stunning voice that allowed her to sing virtually any genre without embarrassing herself. She's been the most versatile singer I know. But in terms of critical approval this versatility has hurt her somewhat. She doesn't conveniently fit into any particular box. Nevertheless, it's hard not to rate that incredible voice and the range of her artistry.

Traditional pop/jazz

Adult pop ballad

Rock

Operetta

Few others besides the Stones themselves could do justice to this one like Linda does here imo. Kicks some serious ass.

Mariachi music

Country

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 01:15 AM   #143
country flag DownInAHole

Did anyone else (Chrissie-fan?) pick up the new Bob Dylan box set? I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but the packaging is quite nice (it ought to be for how expensive it was).

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM   #144
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Did anyone else (Chrissie-fan?) pick up the new Bob Dylan box set? I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but the packaging is quite nice (it ought to be for how expensive it was).
You mean that "another self portrait" one? No, I haven't got it (yet). I wouldn't expect too much from it though because I consider the original self portrait album the worst one of his career.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM   #145
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
You mean that "another self portrait" one? No, I haven't got it (yet). I wouldn't expect too much from it though because I consider the original self portrait album the worst one of his career.
Yes, that is the one I am referring to. My Dylan collection is complete up to Nashville Skyline but after that it gets a bit patchy (especially after Desire) and I have never heard Self Portrait before so this seemed like a good purchase. One of the discs is just a remastered version of the original album but there is also a live disc with the Band. It's also not just Self Portrait outtakes. There is a fair bit of stuff from New Morning too. It is definitely expensive but if you are into fancy packaging it is (almost) worth it.

As a huge Prince fan I dearly wish that he had his own "Bootleg Series" type of releases. He has tons of unreleased material but doesn't seem keen on making it available.

Is there a particular Dylan era that you would like to see further explored? I guess the obvious example would be more material from The Basement Tapes sessions.

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM   #146
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Yes, that is the one I am referring to. My Dylan collection is complete up to Nashville Skyline but after that it gets a bit patchy (especially after Desire) and I have never heard Self Portrait before so this seemed like a good purchase. One of the discs is just a remastered version of the original album but there is also a live disc with the Band. It's also not just Self Portrait outtakes. There is a fair bit of stuff from New Morning too. It is definitely expensive but if you are into fancy packaging it is (almost) worth it.

As a huge Prince fan I dearly wish that he had his own "Bootleg Series" type of releases. He has tons of unreleased material but doesn't seem keen on making it available.

Is there a particular Dylan era that you would like to see further explored? I guess the obvious example would be more material from The Basement Tapes sessions.
Yes, but they will probably get to that sooner or later. The bootleg series does a good job of covering his entire career. That box set sounds pretty interesting with the New Morning stuff and the live album. I have no doubt that the Self Portrait material itself is the worst part.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 12:18 PM   #147
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

As a huge Prince fan ...
What's your favorite Prince album?
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM   #148
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
What's your favorite Prince album?
I'm supposed to say 1999, Purple Rain or Sign 'O' the Times but it is probably Emancipation. It is not necessarily his best album but it is the one that I have listened to the most (along with Chaos and Disorder).

Heh, I just listened to the Self Portrait album from the box set. It's...different. On to the live disc.

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM   #149
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm supposed to say 1999, Purple Rain or Sign 'O' the Times but it is probably Emancipation. It is not necessarily his best album but it is the one that I have listened to the most (along with Chaos and Disorder).

Heh, I just listened to the Self Portrait album from the box set. It's...different. On to the live disc.
I like 1999 and Purple Rain as well, but my fave is Sign 'O' the Times. It's not only my favorite Prince album but probably even my favorite album of the 80's by anyone. Well, that one and the Talking Heads' Remain in Light. I like a lot of Emancipation as well. I've never heard Chaos and Disorder.

Self Portrait is different allright.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM   #150
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
I like 1999 and Purple Rain as well, but my fave is Sign 'O' the Times. It's not only my favorite Prince album but probably even my favorite album of the 80's by anyone. Well, that one and the Talking Heads' Remain in Light. I like a lot of Emancipation as well. I've never heard Chaos and Disorder.

Self Portrait is different allright.
Big fan of Sign 'O' the Times, eh? Now I am picturing you staring into a mirror singing "Hot Thing" and "U Got the Look" to yourself.

The cover of Chaos and Disorder is my avatar. It was one of his contractual obligation albums but it was also the first album of his that I heard so I have a soft spot for it. The first half is one of his most "rock" sides (lots of loud guitar). If you like "rock" Prince it is worth a listen. I missed out on him during the eighties and since I became a fan in 1996 that is an era I have a lot of love for even if it was kind of the beginning of the end. I'm curious, what was the last Prince album that you heard?

This may cause you to throw rotten fruit/vegetables at me but I have never heard a Talking Heads album. I have always meant to get into them but haven't managed it yet.

Would you have liked Self Portrait as a single album or is it unsalvageable to you? Kind of odd that New Morning sounds as cohesive as it does since it was partially made up of "rejects" from Self Portrait. The quality of the live disc is quite good, both in sound and performance. Two songs left and then it is on to the outtakes.