Serena and Graf and the GOAT Debate - Page 81 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1201
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute
There was Austin but she was burned out by 1982 or 1983 I think it was.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:35 AM   #1202
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena and Graf and the GOAT Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
OK, please list the names of the tough players and their major total count that Graf faced after Monica was stabbed? Apart from each other who are the others that Evert and Nav faced?
I'd be very surprised if you get an answer on this from AcesHigh.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 06:44 AM   #1203
country flag Petersmiler
Team WTAworld

Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute Petersmiler has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrx7 View Post
I politely, and respectfully tell you that you are WRONG and not by a little bit either.

History, and facts will show, that no player was harmed for Serena to win, and it will show where a very strong rival of Graf's was HARMED for the sole purpose to advance her in the rankings and Slams. No amount of what-if, stats, or anything will change that. Sorry..
I beg to differ. I have a different opinion to you, but that does not make me wrong. Are you really 73? I thought you would have worked this out by now. I think what you meant to say was that you disagree with me.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Petersmiler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1204
country flag LDVTennis

LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscemi View Post
That's a STRAW MAN if I have ever seen one. You are analogizing Seles being stabbed to a team losing the Super Bowl. In the latter case, you would be arguing: "What if David Tyree didn't catch that pass from Eli Manning?" or "What if Scott Norwood didn't miss that field goal?" That is in no way analogous to, "What if Monica Seles were not stabbed by a crazed Steffi Graf fan?"

In fact, do you know the best analogy? The 2004 Olympic Marathon. Vanderlei de Lima was leading the Olympic Marathon at the 2004 Olympics when Cornelius Horan, a defrocked Irish priest, tackled Lima, delaying and semi-injuring him. Lima finished 3rd. There were PLENTY of people in the press and on the message boards who called for awarding Lima a gold medal on the ground that he would have won if he were not tackled.
It only appears like a Straw Man's argument because you have overvalued the importance of the stabbing. In effect, the stabbing is no different than an injury which takes a competitor out of the game for a period of time. Only when you add the melodrama that seems to surround women's tennis, because of the loser mentality of most of its fans, does it become the singular event it is in your mind.

In other sports, players sustain injuries that end or curtail their careers. When that happens, fans of that player and the team just move on. It makes no sense to engage in "what if" scenarios because the conversation in that sport regards such thinking as ridiculous. Where are the Sterling Sharpe fans who claim that Jerry Rice's records should all have asterisks next to them? Where are the Bo Jackson fans who claim that Emmitt Smith's records should all have asterisks next to them? In pro football, injuries happen; players with great potential are murdered, die, or end up on bad teams with bad coaching. It is all the same. No one stops to cry or whine about these things. If a player wants to be great, regardless of his social or physical circumstances, he must overcome. See Dez Bryant or Adrian Peterson. Crying about things doesn't make you great.

By comparison, Seles never really came back from her injury and her fans still want her to be the greatest ever. It just doesn't work that way in other sports. But it works that way in women's tennis because of the loser mentality of some of its fans. If your analogy proves anything, it is that that loser mentality can from time to time contaminate other sports. So much for your analogy.
Steffi Graf was part of a youth tennis group that was studied from age 12 and then followed, and the scientists called her "the perfect talent" even then. In addition to her many tennis-specific skills, her aerobic capacity was on par with the best distance runners in Europe. --- David Epstein, The Sports Gene
LDVTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1205
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVTennis View Post
It only appears like a Straw Man's argument because you have overvalued the importance of the stabbing. In effect, the stabbing is no different than an injury which takes a competitor out of the game for a period of time. Only when you add the melodrama that seems to surround women's tennis, because of the loser mentality of most of its fans, does it become the singular event it is in your mind.

In other sports, players sustain injuries that end or curtail their careers. When that happens, fans of that player and the team just move on. It makes no sense to engage in "what if" scenarios because the conversation in that sport regards such thinking as ridiculous. Where are the Sterling Sharpe fans who claim that Jerry Rice's records should all have asterisks next to them? Where are the Bo Jackson fans who claim that Emmitt Smith's records should all have asterisks next to them? In pro football, injuries happen; players with great potential are murdered, die, or end up on bad teams with bad coaching. It is all the same. No one stops to cry or whine about these things. If a player wants to be great, regardless of his social or physical circumstances, he must overcome. See Dez Bryant or Adrian Peterson. Crying about things doesn't make you great.

By comparison, Seles never really came back from her injury and her fans still want her to be the greatest ever. It just doesn't work that way in other sports. But it works that way in women's tennis because of the loser mentality of some of its fans. If your analogy proves anything, it is that that loser mentality can from time to time contaminate other sports. So much for your analogy.
But was it just a simple injury...or was it something bigger than 'just' an injury?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #1206
country flag buscemi

buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

This so-called "loser mentality" actually has great applicability...to the claim that Graf was in some sort of horrible slump from late 1990-May 1993, during which a 16 year-old Seles was able to take her lunch. It is not, however, at all applicable to the argument that Seles would have maintained her dominance had she not been stabbed by a crazed Graf fan who couldn't handle his fräulein being supplanted by a younger player who was only getting better. In my last post, I gave the 2004 Olympic marathon as the proper analogy to the Seles stabbing as opposed to the missed field goals and hip injuries that cause the typical what ifs. And your response is to talk about the Sterling Sharpes and Bo Jacksons of the world whose bodies simply could not hold up.
buscemi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1207
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
if we're talking about quality of the field then Serena doesn't hold a candle to Graf, Nav or Court.

Seles came back and although the event was very unfortunate, it is her fault she was never able to challenge Graf again.
None of this changes the fact that Graf has 22 majors, most in the Open Era.

I've already conceded if you want to call Court GOAT and Graf GOAT of the Open Era. Apparently, this is something Seles and Serena stans won't even accept no matter how reasonable it is.
The fact is that just having to play each other in finals, Evert and Navratilova had much tougher competition than Graf ever had after the stabbing. A 30 plus Navratilova had a 9-9 H-H against prime Graf. An even older Evert could give Graf a very tough time on clay, at least. Overall, I think Court had the toughest competition, THROUGOUT, her career than Graf or any of the other top champions who came after her. King, Bueno, Hard, Wade, Jones, Turner, Richey, Evert, Goolagong, Navratilova were most of the top players she had to contend with throughout her career. She was 30 or older when she played most of her matches agains Chris and Martina. Other than those two, Court had a healthy winning H-H advantage against her top competition.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1208
country flag Vlover

Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
I'd be very surprised if you get an answer on this from AcesHigh.
Of course niether he or the other Serena haters want to be more specific and then confirm how ridiculous they are by repeating this myth. Serena fans have repeatedly listed all her multi major, former #1 hall of fame rivalries over her career. It is very easy to make claims but a different matter to supply empirical evidence to support your claim.(reciepts)

This is not the first time I've posed this question and never got a response. I would really like to know the rivals that Graf faced that is comparable to Hingis, Venus, Justine, Lindsay, Jennifer, Kim, Pova and to a certain extent Monica.

To be fair when Monica return to the court she had all the above players to deal with and more, while prior to the stabbing she only had Graf so to speak. Even Graf had difficulty defeating these players during the infant stage of their careers.

Anyway back to the present, I hope we get to see some tennis soon so we can enjoy some good tennis and continue to cheer our girls on and they keep adding to the history books.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1209
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In effect, the stabbing is no different than an injury which takes a competitor out of the game for a period of time.

You Graftards really have no shame
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM   #1210
country flag cehowardrx7
73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmiler View Post
I beg to differ. I have a different opinion to you, but that does not make me wrong. Are you really 73? I thought you would have worked this out by now. I think what you meant to say was that you disagree with me.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
On the contrary, one player had their main rival stabbed at a crucial point in their career, whereas, the other player didn't. That is very simple and to the point. Yes, I am 73, and very, very young at heart, mind and you can say body too.

BTW, I type at 60wpm, so I am allowed some typos..

73,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1211
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
But was it just a simple injury...or was it something bigger than 'just' an injury?!
well, the way you guys love to overreact it seems like Graf herself ordered to murder Seles on court...it was very unfortunate accident, yes, but didn't Seles still win a slam after she returned back on tour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1212
country flag salottawa

salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice salottawa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscemi View Post
LOL. Seles won as many Majors in 1992 as Henin won in 2006 and 2007 COMBINED. And then, we don't have to speculate as to what happened to Seles after 1992 and Henin in 2007. Seles continued her dominance before she was stabbed while Henin crumbled.

So, yes, you are right. Many people at the end of 2007 thought that Henin could catch Serena in greatness, but the argument wasn't on very solid ground: 2007 was the 1st year since 2003 in which Henin won more than 1 Major. Seles had won 7 of the last 9 Majors and 3 of the last 3 WTA Championships starting in late 1990. The argument that she was surpassing Graf was MUCH stronger.
While I agree the two situations are in no way comparable in fairness it did make sense for people, for many people, to be predicting Henin was overtaking Serena as the best player of their generation by the end of 2007. At that point Henin was only 1 slam behind Serena, but had won 5 in the last 3 years vs only 2 for Serena, and Henin had been the better player for 4 and a half years solid at that point. Of course what ensued was far from that, and Serena has reestablished herself as by far the best of her era and a GOAT candidate, while Henin's main legacy now is by far best of her era on clay, one of the best all time on clay, but she is barely hanging on for 2nd best of her era overall over Venus, but Henin overtaking Serena as the best player of their era was in many ways the only logical prediction at that point.
salottawa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1213
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
Of course niether he or the other Serena haters want to be more specific and then confirm how ridiculous they are by repeating this myth. Serena fans have repeatedly listed all her multi major, former #1 hall of fame rivalries over her career. It is very easy to make claims but a different matter to supply empirical evidence to support your claim.(reciepts)

This is not the first time I've posed this question and never got a response. I would really like to know the rivals that Graf faced that is comparable to Hingis, Venus, Justine, Lindsay, Jennifer, Kim, Pova and to a certain extent Monica.

To be fair when Monica return to the court she had all the above players to deal with and more, while prior to the stabbing she only had Graf so to speak. Even Graf had difficulty defeating these players during the infant stage of their careers.

Anyway back to the present, I hope we get to see some tennis soon so we can enjoy some good tennis and continue to cheer our girls on and they keep adding to the history books.
Are you serious? From 2008-present who are these "rivals" Serena had to face?
I dont respond to you or RVD because nothing either of you post is worth acknowledging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1214
country flag buscemi

buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold buscemi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
well, the way you guys love to overreact it seems like Graf herself ordered to murder Seles on court...it was very unfortunate accident, yes, but didn't Seles still win a slam after she returned back on tour?
Yes, Seles returned in Toronto in 1995, still not 100% physically, mentally, or emotionally from the stabbing and also having missed 2.5 years of development. She promptly won that tournament and made the final on the U.S. Open, giving Graf a hell of a fight before going down, 7-6, 0-6, 6-3. Her next tournament was Sydney 1996, which she won. Monica then played the Australian Open, where she injured her shoulder but still won the tournament to collect her 9th Major.

Unfortunately, that shoulder injury, which was directly attributable to the stabbing, never fully healed and in fact developed into a full blown torn rotator cuff because Monica felt that she had already missed too much time due to the stabbing and thus opted to forego surgery.
buscemi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1215
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
The fact is that just having to play each other in finals, Evert and Navratilova had much tougher competition than Graf ever had after the stabbing. A 30 plus Navratilova had a 9-9 H-H against prime Graf. An even older Evert could give Graf a very tough time on clay, at least. Overall, I think Court had the toughest competition, THROUGOUT, her career than Graf or any of the other top champions who came after her. King, Bueno, Hard, Wade, Jones, Turner, Richey, Evert, Goolagong, Navratilova were most of the top players she had to contend with throughout her career. She was 30 or older when she played most of her matches agains Chris and Martina. Other than those two, Court had a healthy winning H-H advantage against her top competition.
Go through most of those AO draws though and the competition in many of them is described as paltry at best.
But like I said, if you want to proclaim Court GOAT, I have no problem. I do say, however, that Graf is the GOAT of the Open Era.

Navratilova probably had it the toughest, having to fight through BOTH Evert and Graf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote