Blast Girl II:Goolagong - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 02:53 AM   #121
tilden

tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice
Re: Blast Girl II:Goolagong

Happy Birthday Evonne!

I trust you have a very special day
tilden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #122
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation

I have discovered more tournament wins for Goolagong. She won her first open tournament in 1965 in the town of Ganmain (around 130km from her home town of Barellan) and also won tournaments in 1966 and 1968 in Grafton NSW. This brings here tally to 95 (+2 shared) titles from 266 tournaments. I also have a win-loss of 834-174. I will add them soon.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #123
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Goolagong's Grace Goes Beyond Tennis
June 08, 1987
Steve Hubbard
Scripps Howard News Service.

There is happiness after tennis. Just ask Evonne Goolagong Cawley, who in her heyday added a stately grace to a sport often said to be for superbrats.

"I don't think there was anybody who didn't like her, either from a playing or personal standpoint," said Chuck Reichblum, president of Century Features News Service. "She was a marvelous person and so graceful on the court, just marvelous to watch. If the whole world was like that, it'd be a better world.

"A lot of players are pampered and spoiled. She wasn't. She was so unaffected. I remember having dinner with her during the U.S. Open in New York and some guy comes over and asks for her autograph. She said, 'How did he know who I was?' She'd won Wimbledon. Her photo was half of the back page of the (New York) Daily News that morning.

"Her only failing was a lack on intensity. She never took tennis seriously or she probably would have have had an even better career. . . . You could see her five minutes after a match and not know whether she won or lost. It did not bother her to lose."

The naturals hear that complaint often. The Goolagongs and Everts don't scream like John McEnroe, don't dive after balls like Boris Becker, so they are said to play without emotion.

"I can swear under my breath, too," Goolagong said. "Some people just show it more than others. But I always figured if you lose, you can't do anything about it. You just wait for the next time.

"I won Wimbledon twice, the French Open once, the Italian Open once, the Australian Open four times, the U.S. Indoor twice. I must have been very keen on tennis to leave my hometown at 11 and be able to handle it, even though I was very homesick. I had to have some sort of toughness there."

And success. A native of New South Wales, Australia, she was the fifth woman to win $1 million. She made the finals of 18 Grand Slam singles events. She won 92 titles, 80 percent of her matches and 40 percent of her tournaments. She won Wimbledon in 1971 and 1980, matching Bill Tilden for the longest gap in titles.

The list of accomplishments might have been longer, but after marrying Englishman Roger Cawley in 1975, she was slowed by injuries and the birth of her daughter in 1977 and her son in 1981. A broken toe brought about her retirement in 1983.

The Cawleys moved last fall from Hilton Head, S.C., to Naples, Fla., where she is director of investor and community relations for a company that develops resorts. She also stays busy as a model, mother, wife and homemaker. And as a fisherman. "Here, you always catch fish," she said. "Last time I was out, we caught 82. Even on tour, it was my favorite pastime. I just find it very relaxing and peaceful."

She also finds peace in tennis, a sport she never enjoyed as much as her critics thought.

"I'm still playing a bit here and there for charity," said Cawley, who turns 36 in July. "Now, I'm not as frustrated, the pressure's off and it's nice and peaceful. I like to hit and giggle rather than go out and try to perfect everything.

"I appreciate so much more about the game, appreciate what I've done. But I know I couldn't do it on a professional, competitive level anymore because my body can't handle it. The main reason I stopped was my injuries after having children. My whole body fell apart."

Still, she was the first mother to win Wimbledon since 1914.

"Even Margaret Court hadn't done it," she said. "People tend to think after having children, that's it. I wanted to prove them wrong. I didn't realize how much it took out of the body.

"Life on the road alone is boring and lonely. The children brought a lot of pleasure to my life. I'm glad I had them when I did. Now I can give a lot of attention to them rather than brood about missing tennis."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:36 PM   #124
country flag GHFB

GHFB is an unknown quantity at this point

Evonne's birthday today. I was watching her 75 Wimbledon QF with Wade earlier - fantastic match. Unbelievable shot-making. Wade came to play that day. Real genius on Evonne's part for the win. Don't make them like that anymore, that's for sure.
GHFB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #125
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

For those wondering about how our angel was doing she is great and here is a pic I got taken with her just last weekend at the Judy Tegart (Dalton) tribute day. Nov 24, 2013.

When she and Roger entered the room (as surprise guests for Judy) there was a standing ovation for them. She is still looking great and as sweet as ever.

60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote