Hard Courts American Style: Sam's happy hunting ground - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #286
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hard Courts American Style: Sam's happy hunting ground

Well, for that match Sam seems to have gotten her Mojo back. Hopefully she can keep hold of it now for the rest of the season!
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #287
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Cute as a bug Sam Stosur
annetcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #288

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsets21 View Post
YES! Yay Sammy! If we just forget about the first 3/4 games, it would have been pretty awesome. Also, cute as a bug? Really?
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #289
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Well, for that match Sam seems to have gotten her Mojo back. Hopefully she can keep hold of it now for the rest of the season!
Yeah - steadied herself as the match went on - still a few too many DFs. Hopefully winning her first match on the american hard courts will give her some confidence and loosen her up for her next match.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #290
country flag Ruzanam

Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light

Why when Sam actually plays a decent match (at least 60% of the match) we can't watch it?!
Ruzanam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #291
country flag annetcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzanam View Post
Why when Sam actually plays a decent match (at least 60% of the match) we can't watch it?!
Indeed - this year really sucks - I think I have seen more matches she lost this year than those she won
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #292
country flag sunsets21

sunsets21 has disabled reputation

^ ...would I be repeating myself if I say that it's our jinx that's doing it?
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #293
country flag Ruzanam

Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl View Post
Indeed - this year really sucks - I think I have seen more matches she lost this year than those she won
The matches against Peng and Barthel especially!
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsets21 View Post
^ ...would I be repeating myself if I say that it's our jinx that's doing it?
Sounds plausible.

On that note, what a shame Pova has withdrawn from Toronto, I was SO hoping she would be in Sam's quarter. Oh well, there's always Serena
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #295
country flag annetcl

Post match quotes:

"Overall it was pretty good," Stosur said. "I got off to a little bit of a slow start, losing my first two service games - that isn't the way you want to start matches. But if you start poorly then end well, that's all that matters. I got through that little rough patch at the start and then found my groove a little bit more.

"After I got over that first set I probably loosened up and from there played quite well."

Stosur wasn't originally planning to play here but shifted gears after her early loss in Stanford.

"I had planned just to go to Stanford last week, then take a week off and head back to my training base in Florida," Stosur said. "I was going to practice for a week before heading to Toronto and Cincinnati. But after not doing as well as I wanted to last week, I thought coming here would be another good opportunity to play those matches and try and build on something a little bit. Being so close it was a good idea to come here and play, and obviously I'm very lucky to get that wildcard this week."

How good does the 2011 US Open champion feel to get her first win of the summer hardcourt season?

"A big part of it is just trying to win matches," Stosur said. "No matter how bad or good you play, if you win, you always feel better. Last week was pretty disappointing, so to come here and win today is a nicer feeling, and hopefully I can really build on that and play better and better from here on in."
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #296

^Probably not a good idea to read too much into Sam's post-match comments, like most players she probably does this pretty much on auto-pilot a lot of the time, giving the press what they expect to hear. Still, I hope she really means it when she says that she's focussing on winning matches no matter how good or bad she plays.

In my experience she mostly talks about how she played, and tbh she often puts an overly positive spin on that even when she played like crap (played quite well, a few points here and there, yada yada yada). She really has to win matches, even if the tennis is not pretty.

Assuming she plays Jools next up (surely even she can beat Karatantcheva?), this kind of mindset is really important. In a way she should even be trying to turn it into an ugly match, with lots of UEs from Julia. Really important to get a lot of returns in court, keep the ball in play and force Julia to play a lot of balls.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #297
country flag Ruzanam

I'm pretty sure too it will be Goreges next. The same situation as with Lepchenko. Sam doesn't need to play her best tennis (though I'm not against her doing that ) but to play the right way. Return as many serves as possible, make as less errors as possible and no DFs please! Julia has an advantage over Lepchenko which is a winning record against Sam. This gives her more confidence when they meet but I don'y think Julia will start move greatly and hit lines all of a sudden, right?

Concerning Sam's serve, I don't know how it was going yesterday (certainly better thatn in her previous match despite 6 Dfs) but during the practice, I was talking about earlier, Sam was trying to serve closer to the lines and was missing. It was a bit better when she was serving close to the middle line than to the corners but seems she was working on depth and precision
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #298

Quote:
I'm pretty sure too it will be Goreges next. The same situation as with Lepchenko. Sam doesn't need to play her best tennis (though I'm not against her doing that ) but to play the right way. Return as many serves as possible, make as less errors as possible and no DFs please! Julia has an advantage over Lepchenko which is a winning record against Sam. This gives her more confidence when they meet but I don'y think Julia will start move greatly and hit lines all of a sudden, right?

Concerning Sam's serve, I don't know how it was going yesterday (certainly better thatn in her previous match despite 6 Dfs) but during the practice, I was talking about earlier, Sam was trying to serve closer to the lines and was missing. It was a bit better when she was serving close to the middle line than to the corners but seems she was working on depth and precision
Me either!

Our favorite commentator mentioned quite a few times that Sam hit body serves yesterday. When she gets it right this is a great serve against players who like to attack her serve, because it cramps them up and makes it almost impossible to hit anything except a defensive return. I think this is almost the perfect serve against Julia, who likes nothing better than having a lot of room to take a big swing at the ball, especially on her FH.

Concerning the DFs: I also recall the commie saying that Sam was getting herself into trouble trying to produce a serve that would be good against a lefty. I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that, but it sounded as if it was screwing up her ball toss. At least she won't have that problem against Julia (although she might find other ways to get herself into trouble).
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #299
country flag Ruzanam

Quote:
Me either!

Our favorite commentator mentioned quite a few times that Sam hit body serves yesterday. When she gets it right this is a great serve against players who like to attack her serve, because it cramps them up and makes it almost impossible to hit anything except a defensive return. I think this is almost the perfect serve against Julia, who likes nothing better than having a lot of room to take a big swing at the ball, especially on her FH.
Don't know if you heard him commentating Schiavone/Pennetta but that was something hysterical

Quote:
Concerning the DFs: I also recall the commie saying that Sam was getting herself into trouble trying to produce a serve that would be good against a lefty. I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that, but it sounded as if it was screwing up her ball toss. At least she won't have that problem against Julia (although she might find other ways to get herself into trouble).
Yeah, he was explaining that it's physically easier to kick the serve to one side than to other. But not sure what he means cause against lefties when Sam kicks serve to ad court it lands to their stronger forehand that's why probably she was doing those DFs (in that game both doubles came to ad court).
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #300

Quote:
Don't know if you heard him commentating Schiavone/Pennetta but that was something hysterical
No I missed that. This guy should have his own comedy show, he's a natural

Btw, if Julia does win her match today, I'd say it's almost a sure thing that they'd schedule the match with Sam early in the day tomorrow, because Julia will almost certainly have to play doubles later in the day. That sucks for everybody in Australia, but it's good for us, and more importantly good for Sam as well I think, she likes to play early.

Unfortunately it's pretty unlikely that their match will be on Stadium 1, since the top 4 seeds will probably all be playing. In which case I'm not sure there will even be radio commentary. Back to livescores in that case

Last edited by stromatolite : Jul 30th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.