Tennis Forum banner

Toronto 2013: About time to finally grab the glass racket, eh? - She withdrew! :(

18K views 192 replies 50 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 · (Edited)

Please try to finally win this title! :D

Another title still missing from our girl's collection :eek: This title is currently the only Premier 5 title missing from her trophy collection. Her best result was 2009 losing to Dementieva in the final of Toronto.

Maria will begin her US Open series campaign at the Rogers Cup in Toronto.

Toronto begins on August 5th and Maria will be making her fifth appearance at the Rogers Cup which alternates each year between Toronto and Montreal. Maria's best result was reaching the final in 2009.

Past Canadian results:

2003 - unseeded
Toronto
R1 lost to Elena Likhovtseva (Rus) 6-7 1-7

2004 - seed 6
Montreal
R1 Bye
R2 def. Kristina Brandi (USA) 6-1 6-4
R3 lost to Vera Zvonareva (Rus) (10) 6-4 4-6 4-6

2008 - seed 3
Montreal
R1 Bye
R2 def. Marta Domachowska (Pol) 7-5 5-7 6-2
R3 lost to Ai Sugiyama (Jpn) w/o

Toronto
R1 def. Nadia Petrova (Rus) (10) 6-3 6-4
R2 def. Sybille Bammer (Aut) 6-3 7-6
R3 def. Vera Zvonareva (Rus) (7) 6-2 7-6
QF def. Agnieszka Radwanska (Pol) (14) 6-2 7-6
SF def. Alisa Kleybanova (Rus) 6-2 4-6 6-4
F lost to Elena Dementieva (Rus) (4) 4-6 3-6

2011 - seed 5
Toronto
R1 Bye
R2 def. Bojana Jovanovski (Srb) 6-1 7-5
R3 lost to Galina Voskoboeva (Kaz) 3-6 5-7

The picture of the ad I took close to my house :lol:

See less See more
#124 ·
:hysteric:

i don't think that she is that much injured, as she maybe doesn't want to get injury again and then withdrew from US open, it's better that way, to heal properly than playing with injury with possibility to get worse...

and i hope that she will be playing cincy and show us what collaboration with jimmy brought her...

#125 ·
This is awful. Really starting to worry about her USO chances now. There goes number 2 as swell I guess.

#131 ·
She said hip injury from Wimbledon :sobbing:

#134 ·
Same here :sobbing:

Next year she will be in Montreal.

In 2015, she will be 28 :sobbing: If she withdraw again or whatever happens, game over :sobbing:

#137 ·
I am almost 100% sure the hip is only the pretence. This injury didn't seem that serious, even Aza plays this week, but her hurt was much worse. And all those pics from gym, practice...then dead silence, strange tweets...something else happened. But what pisses me off most is that she still goes to Toronto, but not for tennis....please don't create Cincy thread before day she will come to tennis court...

#141 ·
Well, it was nice to see tough, little Dominika win a title today. She took out both Radwanska sisters in Stanford, so good for her. And to turn around a double-bagel loss to Agi the last time she played her was impressive. I enjoy watching hard-working players, that don't win trophies often, come through. You could see how much it meant to her.

It was the only pleasant thing in tennis to happen today.

#152 ·
^ Actually that's so true. I mean, I know she said she'd never want to play past 30. But probably the reason Serena + Venus are still out there on tour after most of their generation have retired is because they missed long stretches of their careers plagued with injury/part-time schedules. It's not great, but tbh I can guarantee that if things work out with Connors she'll be back to herself in 2014. Maria's always been very protective of her body

#153 ·
When Maria was younger she also made reference to retiring at 25. She now has no intent to retire before 29 and who knows what will happen after that. Maria still has so much passion for the game and I think she makes very smart decisions about her body and her long term career.

#158 ·
why wasn't she part-timing at the start of the season then? She played every big Premier event plus that usless event in Doha or whatever...it's obvious she's still bothered physically, otherwise she wouldn't be skipping big tournaments left and right. I just hope this will be the case of AO this year and she will come out on fire at Flushing Meadows (barring that disastrous SF match of course:facepalm:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.