Toronto 2013: About time to finally grab the glass racket, eh? - She withdrew! :( - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM   #31
country flag masha122

masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all
Re: Toronto 2013: About time to finally grab the glass racket, eh? (SharaConnors Chap

real overhead ?! girl is gonna be posessed !

26/06/2013 the cursed wednesday in wimbledon and tennis
history

Danceney is back !!!
masha122 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #32
country flag !VamosRafa!

!VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of
Re: Toronto 2013: About time to finally grab the glass racket, eh? (SharaConnors Chap

Maria at the net?

Hopefully not, she always looks so silly and misses 90% of volleys

I'm looking forward to the overheads tho
!VamosRafa! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM   #33
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post
Maria at the net?

now now, it's one thing to be overly pessimistic, but our girl Maria is actually prety efficient when she comes to the net. There's no need to spread disinformation only to justify your agenda...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 09:27 AM   #34
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maria at the net?

Eh, what are you smoking?

Sure, Maria doesn't have that certain 'touch' at the net, but she nearly wins every point when she gets there.
There's a simple reason for that. Hit a good approach shot, and then finish it quickly at the net.

Maria at her most brutal (US Open 2006) and confident (Australian Open 2008) would blast a shot into a corner and then follow up to the net to finish it quickly.
You don't need good volleys for that. A drive volley will do.

Honestly, it annoys me when she stays back or refuses to hit an overhead. So hearing this actually makes me hopeful about a more aggressive approach from Maria.
Still, practicing it and doing it in a real match are two very different things.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #35
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

2008 AO vs Lena D. Now that was net play
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM   #36
country flag goldlion

goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha Fierce View Post
Michele Drohan‏@shellsteak8m
Good tennis friend saw #Sharapova practicing with #Connors today. Reports seeing approach shots, volleys and real overheads.

Just what I expect from the new partnership. She needs to attack more before defence.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
goldlion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:20 PM   #37
country flag Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

I thought her shoulder is not comfortable when she hit real overhead before? If it can harm her shoulder, She shouldn't do it
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#42
PAW Rank:#107
FITD Rank:#188.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #38
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute

Subscribe

CLAYPOVA
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #39
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
Eh, what are you smoking?

Sure, Maria doesn't have that certain 'touch' at the net, but she nearly wins every point when she gets there.
There's a simple reason for that. Hit a good approach shot, and then finish it quickly at the net.

Maria at her most brutal (US Open 2006) and confident (Australian Open 2008) would blast a shot into a corner and then follow up to the net to finish it quickly.
You don't need good volleys for that. A drive volley will do.

Honestly, it annoys me when she stays back or refuses to hit an overhead. So hearing this actually makes me hopeful about a more aggressive approach from Maria.
Still, practicing it and doing it in a real match are two very different things.
Exactly, Maria in her best tournaments in 2004-08 was CONSTANTLY coming forward, and usually had a very high % of points won at net. Her reluctance to swing-volley has definitely been one of the missing links in her game usually over the past few years -- as I always say, her game was NEVER about just hitting one massive unplayable shot from the back of the court a la Kvitova, it was about hitting a few very good shots and suffocating her opponent with the relentless length on her shots, and when she doesn't kill off the short balls that she elicits then she's wasting huge opportunities.

I feel her reluctance to swing-volley is possibly the best example of how her mindset has been holding her back over the past few years.... take Miami 2012, in the semifinal against Woz, Maria generally had a relaxed and aggressive mindset (aside from that strange 5-game losing streak at the end of the 1st set) and was constantly sprinting into the net and taking balls out of the air and killing off the point virtually everytime. Then just a couple of days later, in the final against Radwanska, Maria was visibly more uptight and anxious, and it translated into far more tentative play -- she was slower to actually start moving forward when she spotted a short ball, would often let the ball bounce rather than swing-volleying it, and would often just guide it into the court and give Radwanska a chance of hitting a passing shot.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #40
country flag !VamosRafa!

!VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of

PEAK NetPova was at the USO 2010

Even though she lost to Woz, she had 16/18 points won at the net

That's the most times she's come to the net in a match (that I can remember).
!VamosRafa! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #41
country flag Panther24

Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute

Great Opening

So weird that Maria didn't really like playing this tournament in the past...

But this is one of the tournaments I really want her to win along with Miami ( ) and Madrid.

First tournament since Wimbledon, and the first with Connors as her coach.

She will probably rusty But it will be interesting nonetheless.

Still remember watching that horror show live on stream against Voskoboeva

This tournament is good for streaming though

Best of luck, Masha

Get your first Canadian Title!!
Panther24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 09:29 PM   #42
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther24 View Post
Great Opening

So weird that Maria didn't really like playing this tournament in the past...

But this is one of the tournaments I really want her to win along with Miami ( ) and Madrid.

First tournament since Wimbledon, and the first with Connors as her coach.

She will probably rusty But it will be interesting nonetheless.

Still remember watching that horror show live on stream against Voskoboeva

This tournament is good for streaming though

Best of luck, Masha

Get your first Canadian Title!!
This

Almost rock bottom
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:12 PM   #43
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
This

Almost rock bottom
Can anything be worse than losing to de Brito at Wimbledon?
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:15 PM   #44
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

I still really can't quite figure out how she lost to Voskoboeva to this day
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:17 PM   #45
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
PEAK NetPova was at the USO 2010

Even though she lost to Woz, she had 16/18 points won at the net

That's the most times she's come to the net in a match (that I can remember).
Not really...even though she was successful when she did come in, she squandered plenty of opportunities to come in and slaughter weak-ass Wozniacki puffballs. That was the most frustrating thing about that match actually, because she was striking the ball fairly well early in rallies but was mentally such a tentative mess that she just couldn't kill off the points once she'd got the initiative. I'm fairly sure there were plenty of matches in 2006-08 where she came in more than 18 times.