2013 ESPY's: Serena wins! (Vika and Pova pics inside) - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #106
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 ESPY's: Serena wins! (Vika and Pova pics inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmiler View Post
Rest of the world says, sorry who?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Agreed. The rest of the world has no idea why Americans love the NFL so much. Similarly, Americans still haven't fully figured out why the rest of the world loves soccer.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #107
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
Ignorance does not excuse that poster's rudeness.

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't think my first post was rude. In fact I thought it was quite the opposite. Again sorry for offending you.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #108
country flag T-rex

Re: 2013 ESPY Winners: Sharapova presented, Serena won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
Yeah I had to remind myself that one of the biggest sports stars in America isn't really known outside the states....funny.

Props to Serena for not just winning her awards but for her commitment to the sport. She didn't have to be playing a non-event ins Sweden she could have been there rubbing elbows with her peers and celebrity friends but chose tennis first. She gets bad publicity when she doesn't but no recognition when she does.

Agreed. Good post.

You could probably conduct a college course to try and figure out why the NFL dominates America so much while having absolutely no appeal outside of the USA. It really is a fascinating study. Even soccer, while not very popular in the USA, still has more fans here, than the NFL has in any country outside of the United States.

That's one reason why I like tennis. The WTA truly is a global game. When we crown someone the champion or the best of the world... that person really is the best in the world . Not just the best of some random host country.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #109
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea who that strange looking guy in the red-white-blue outfit next to Sharapova was either. I don't feel bad about that kind of ignorance. Football is just not my sport. I also don't follow snooker or cricket. So, thanks to the person(s) who put a name to the guy (horrible outfit he's wearing, though).

Maria's dress is nice, but her hair is awful, so aging. The back external zipper (in black) is awful, though, so I've changed my mind.

As for Vika and Redfoo(l), I'm beginning to like them just because they set so many people in a tizzy. Also, Getty needs to hire some better interns if they can't manage to identify a top athlete just because she comes adorned with a pop/whatever star.

Last edited by edificio : Jul 19th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #110
country flag Ntosake

Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
who is this D-bag sitting next to Maria LOL
I could be wrong T-rex, but I thought hablo was referring to this poster as being rude, not you.
Ntosake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #111
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecig View Post
Well, Maria won last year, but this is very deserved for Serena

Maria walking in the red carpet and papps going crazy (fan reaction jajaja)

You know the paps do that to get the poser's attention, right? It isn't that they love Maria more than others.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #112
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
nope, never heard of this bugger before
frankly, I don't get yanks' obsession with this "sport" they call football anyway, so no wonder the rest of the world prefers real footie to begin with.

I honestly believe that to love American NFL football, you have to grow up with it. The game is too complicated, involves too many players, and has two many moving parts to really introduce to someone later in life.

This is why I think sports like tennis, soccer, and basketball do so well globally. The games are easier, less complicated and even more fun to play. I think its easier to introduce someone to tennis and get them to like it than it is the NFL.

Just a theory.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #113
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
You know the paps do that to get the poser's attention, right? It isn't that they love Maria more than others.

I hope you are right. Maybe I miss read it.

I went back and read my first post on the issue and I honestly didn't think it was rude. I was just trying to explain who he was to the non-American audience. I also wanted to demonstrate that he is by no means outclassed by sitting with Sharapova, (despite his terrible wardrobe!)

I didn't think it was offensive. I thought it was just an explanation.

In retrospect I think this may be my bad.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #114
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Serena!!

The awards just keep rolling in.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #115
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Maria showing off her best assets (manshoulders) once again

Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #116
country flag Cecig

Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future Cecig has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Sharapova did not win best female athlete last year.
She won Best female tennis player last year

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #117
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmiler View Post
Rest of the world says, sorry who?
List of American football teams in the United Kingdom

I assume the UK is included in the "rest of the world"? Posters on TF seem to be very research challenged.

Hug an SDS sufferer, today.
JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #118
country flag NewMember

NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehellenia. View Post
Quite sad for the sport that a person perpetuating rape culture gets so much recognition. #badpress #badforthesportsimage
Ms. Williams never perpetuated rape culture. She made some statements that were offensive to many people but many others understood her point. She never said that rape was acceptable, she just stated that young women should not be getting drunk to the point of unconsciousness nor should they be taking drinks from strangers - all sound advice.

Perhaps her wording left something to be desired and allowed for misinterpretation, but the point was sound. Rape is wrong and should not happen, as is robbery, but we still lock our doors. This is 2013, a time when we are all aware of the perils of drinking and the danger of rape, not 1952 when such things were not discussed. Youth is often a deterrent to wise decision making and that is understandable, but let us not villainize someone for having an opinion that many should adopt.

As for the result being bad for tennis, well, the best tennis player in the world being acknowledged as such seems rather appropriate and it was a public ballot so I think those most invested in the award show were pleased with the outcome.
NewMember is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #119
country flag NewMember

NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold NewMember is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawcio765 View Post
I agree that I used a bad and strong word BUT you are calling him an adult. The fact he's 38 doesn't mean that he's an ADULT. He's behaving like a KID. Yes he doesn't hurt anyone but I think the quicker he realizes he's not 25 anymore the better FOR HIM and his future.
The way one dresses does not dictate rather or not they are an adult - age does. One can be immature and an adult. Though wearing whatever you please is one thing that an adult should be free to do. And I would not concern myself with this adult's future, he comes from a wealthy family and appears to be very happy.

I for one hope that more people would be unencumbered by the social constraints that have been placed upon them and find the courage to be themselves, that would probably result in more happy people who were less prone to criticize the choices of others.
NewMember is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #120
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Where is Dimitrov?
Don't know and don't care.
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote