Who is more mentally tough: Sharapova or Azarenka? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is more mentally tough?

Sharapova 91 44.39%
Azarenka 114 55.61%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #61
country flag Goddess Serena

Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future Goddess Serena has a brilliant future
Re: Who is more mentally tough: Sharapova or Azarenka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
Adorable.
I know - that poster is very sweet
Goddess Serena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #62
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
But I would argue it is some pretty strong evidence of mental weakness, and it is much more difficult to find this evidence for Maria.

Some people in this thread have pointed to matches in which Vika has beaten Maria as evidence of the former's mental strength being greater than Maria's, whereas most of the time it has nothing to do with it. Take the AO final... that didn't happen because Maria mentally collapsed, it happened because Vika played really well and Maria really didn't.
You can keep a poker face, not throw a tantrum and smash your racquet a La Connors/McEnroe, and still panic and lose control of the match, and IMO that sometimes happens with Maria when she's in deep trouble. She can look really anxious, even if she always manages to keep her composure. It didn't happen at the AO final, because Vika took quickly command and there was little that Maria could do, but it certainly happened at the USO SF, where Maria didn't look as mentally strong as Vika (no need to talk about her matches against Serena). But they are both very strong in that department, for me the only difference is that, under stress, Vika may have a certain edge over Maria.
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #63
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
You can keep a poker face, not throw a tantrum and smash your racquet a La Connors/McEnroe, and still panic and lose control of the match, and IMO that sometimes happens with Maria when she's in deep trouble. She can look really anxious, even if she always manages to keep her composure. It didn't happen at the AO final, because Vika took quickly command and there was little that Maria could do, but it certainly happened at the USO SF, where Maria didn't look as mentally strong as Vika (no need to talk about her matches against Serena). But they are both very strong in that department, for me the only difference is that, under stress, Vika may have a certain edge over Maria.
I feel like that in 2012, Vika had the mental edge over Maria, but that this year the tide is changing.

There is two ways you can look at this discussion - compare their mental toughness in matches against each other, and compare their mental toughness across their entire careers. If you were to do the latter, Vika would come up short when you do consider the tantrums (you can't discount them), Maria's greater longevity, comeback from a serious injury and all around mental toughness. A lot of credit has been given to Sam Sumyk for improving Vika's mental game - and that itself evidences that a lot did need to improve. For much of her career, it considered that that was what was holding her back, and it is only really in the past 18 months/2 years that she has become one of toughest in the WTA.

The former is a much more interesting and close discussion. As I've said, I think Vika won that in 2012, but I think the tide has turned after the RG semi-final - Maria had some jitters closing it out, but got over the hurdle.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #64
country flag GOyoungUSA

GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of

i don't think the RG SF means anything just like the Stuttgart final didnt meant anything. azarenka just sucks on clay and Maria will always have the edge there.

actually, I think the fact that Vika managed to sneak a set instead of getting a beatdown bodes well for her prospects against Maria on hardcourts.
GOyoungUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #65
country flag MashaAzarenka

MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future

The fact that Vika is actually winning this poll.....ridiculous.

Sydney SF - Tsvetana Pironkova (6-4, 6-3) Australian Open R1 - Luksika Kumkhum (6-2, 1-6, 6-4) Doha QF - Jelena Jankovic (6-1, 6-3) Dubai R2 - Carla Suarez Navarro (1-6, 6-4, 7-6) Indian Wells R4 - Dominika Cibulkova (6-3, 6-2) Miami QF - Maria Sharapova (7-5, 6-1) Stuttgart R2 - Alisa Kleybanova (6-2, 7-6(3)) Madrid SF - Simona Halep (6-7, 6-3, 6-2) Rome R2 - Shuai Zhang (7-6, 5-7, 6-3) French Open R3 - Svetlana Kuznetsova (6-7, 6-1, 9-7) Eastbourne QF - Heather Watson (w/o) Montreal R3 - Ekaterina Makarova (6-4, 1-6, 6-2) Cincinnati R2 - Elina Svitolina (6-2, 7-6) US Open R3 - Aleksandra Krunic (6-4, 6-4)
MashaAzarenka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #66
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOyoungUSA View Post
i don't think the RG SF means anything just like the Stuttgart final didnt meant anything. azarenka just sucks on clay and Maria will always have the edge there.

actually, I think the fact that Vika managed to sneak a set instead of getting a beatdown bodes well for her prospects against Maria on hardcourts.
there is really not much difference between clay and hard these days - both of these surfaces play slow and both of them have high bounces in general. The fact that Azarenka sucks on dirt only speaks volumes what a limited player she is if she can't deal with uneven bounces that clay creates, further proving a point that she's just a hardcourt robot with monotonous game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #67

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
I feel like that in 2012, Vika had the mental edge over Maria, but that this year the tide is changing.

There is two ways you can look at this discussion - compare their mental toughness in matches against each other, and compare their mental toughness across their entire careers. If you were to do the latter, Vika would come up short when you do consider the tantrums (you can't discount them), Maria's greater longevity, comeback from a serious injury and all around mental toughness. A lot of credit has been given to Sam Sumyk for improving Vika's mental game - and that itself evidences that a lot did need to improve. For much of her career, it considered that that was what was holding her back, and it is only really in the past 18 months/2 years that she has become one of toughest in the WTA.

The former is a much more interesting and close discussion. As I've said, I think Vika won that in 2012, but I think the tide has turned after the RG semi-final - Maria had some jitters closing it out, but got over the hurdle.

I am not sure if the tide has really changed or if it's been momentarily made up. We'll see. It's true that Sharapova has won the last two matches, but at YEC Vika was pretty burnt out. She could have lost her three matches perfectly, and was an easy prey for Maria; and the RG SF was on clay, where Maria has and edge over Vika, and Vika was still coming back from an injury, and even so it was a very close match. Both were pretty favourable scenarios for Pova.

I am not sure about the rest of this season, with Vika's latest injury. If she is not 100% she could perfectly lose again to Pova, but I honestly believe that Vika is a more complete and resourceful player than Maria, and I understand that you won't agree.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #68
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
there is really not much difference between clay and hard these days - both of these surfaces play slow and both of them have high bounces in general. The fact that Azarenka sucks on dirt only speaks volumes what a limited player she is if she can't deal with uneven bounces that clay creates, further proving a point that she's just a hardcourt robot with monotonous game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #69
country flag GOyoungUSA

GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of GOyoungUSA has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaAzarenka View Post
The fact that Vika is actually winning this poll.....ridiculous.
why so? Vika has definitely been tougher mentally the last year or so. just look at their matches and also their performances against the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
am I suppose to be offended by this? i don't give a DAMN about serena pigeon #2. not a fan and never will be, I'm just arguing here based on what I see objectively and subjectively

I do find it funny that another tall blonde screamer rose up and became sharapova's biggest rival

anyways I agree azarenka is a hardcourts robot although i think she'd beat Pova on grass as well, MLDB did and shes pretty much Vika lite.

Last edited by GOyoungUSA : Jul 18th, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
GOyoungUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #70
country flag WonderFan

WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute

On court or off court?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
on blue an green clay, which are absolutely different surfaces to the red clay at Philippe Chatrier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
she certainly lit a torch up yo ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpova View Post
Things lose their charm the minute money becomes involved.
WonderFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #71
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Maria of course. Vika is mentally tough because she think she can beat and be the best, however Maria is tougher mentally because she doesn't believe she can be the best and still she overcomes those thoughts and performs the way she does.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #72
country flag WonderFan

WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute WonderFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post
Maria of course. Vika is mentally tough because she think she can beat and be the best, however Maria is tougher mentally because she doesn't believe she can be the best and still she overcomes those thoughts and performs the way she does.
You mean Sharapova strongly believes that she is not the best and so manages not to be the best?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
on blue an green clay, which are absolutely different surfaces to the red clay at Philippe Chatrier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
she certainly lit a torch up yo ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpova View Post
Things lose their charm the minute money becomes involved.
WonderFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #73
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderFan View Post
You mean Sharapova strongly believes that she is not the best and so manages not to be the best?!
She is the number 2 player in the world , not too shabby.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #74
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She is the number 2 player in the world , not too shabby.
BUT still slamless, unlike Vika who has one, and actually defended a slam.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #75

Quote: