Maria and Thomas go seperate ways - Page 17 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #241
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
That's exactly the point: the fact he couldn't coach Roddick to success makes the stakes even higher for him this time. That took some of the luster off Connors and arguably harmed his "credibility" in the tennis world. And his credibility will take an even bigger hit if he fails again, and with a woman to boot (we all know it's the horrible reality that a great male athlete coaching a woman has a big stigma). It's a lot safer for him at this point in his career to just stay safely in retirement, as that way his abilities are never questioned and people just remember him for the great player he was; by going into coaching, he has the chance of getting a big reward (another taste of glory by p.roxy, like Lendl's getting, if he can coach Maria to more Slam titles) but also comes with the risk of being judged as a failure if he can't do it.
While we disagree on the amount of risk being laid on Connors with his new job, I agree that the potential reward that can be gained if he's somehow successful is astronomical. Just one more major for Maria and his tennis legend will grow exponentially.

Getting back to the risk issue, I also think that Connors sees Maria as an already established proven champion, with multiple slams so he only needs to tweak a little here or there and her game won't require any major reconstruction. This is Sharapova we're talking about, not Woz or Ivanovic. She's a "safe" choice. He isn't starting from scratch, so I believe he sees low risk, high reward with her.

As far as the debunked Woz/Thomas pairing, I'm happy to hear that. I want to believe that Maria and Thomas remain really good friends and parted on good terms.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #242
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Call me arrogant, but I really can't believe for a second Hogstedt would've chosen to dump Maria in favour of Woz
Ok, you're arrogant.

Apparently it isn't true anyway, but if he wanted to prove that he's a great coach I can perfectly understand him wanting to work with Woz. It's like in football where everyone talks about how great guys like Mourinho, Ferguson and Guardiola are. But everyone can be a great coach with Man U, Barcelona or B Munich. If you want to prove that you're a great coach, let me see you do it with Hamburg or Watford or whatever.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #243
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Ok, you're arrogant.

Apparently it isn't true anyway, but if he wanted to prove that he's a great coach I can perfectly understand him wanting to work with Woz. It's like in football where everyone talks about how great guys like Mourinho, Ferguson and Guardiola are. But everyone can be a great coach with Man U, Barcelona or B Munich. If you want to prove that you're a great coach, let me see you do it with Hamburg or Watford or whatever.
this.
The coaching aspect is very overstated in tennis, which is highly individual sport. Only the most talented succeed anyway, so it's easy to look good and claim the glory while riding the high wave with an elite played on board It's a totally different reality with less talented or gifted folks like Wozniacki, who need to work and try extra hard to achieve the same as Maria for example. I think when it comes to elite players, the biggest obstacle for them to overcome is mainly only the required change of mentality in some big matches and Connors is the best candidate for nurturing this aspect of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #244
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
this.
I think when it comes to elite players, the biggest obstacle for them to overcome is mainly only the required change of mentality in some big matches and Connors is the best candidate for nurturing this aspect of the game.
And the exact this thing inspires me most in this coach's change. Can't wait for her playing US series more than usual. Now it feels like the beginning of new season when you don't know what to expect but have that nice optimistic vibes
Asanty is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #245
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't anyone excited about this teaming , Sharapova and Connors .

If Maria starts serving and volleying I might just Die .
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #246
country flag !VamosRafa!

!VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post

Something like this please

!VamosRafa! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #247
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

When did she do that the last time?
Asanty is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #248
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post

btw, was she still working with Joyce here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #249
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post

I am. Back in the day Connors was my favorite male player. All the stories you've heard about him being the biggest asshole in the history of the game and a master at gemesmanship are true. But I didn't give a fuck. And millions besides me didn't give a fuck either in those sex, drugs and rock'n'roll days of the game. Connors was someone who would try anything (and I mean ANYTHING) in order to win. So from a mental perspective him working with Maria might work because as a player he was the type of guy who never would settle for second best. And as I said in a previous post, as a player and a competitor Maria reminds me of Jimbo. She's a female Connors without the gamesmanship. And even though he would sometimes employ that tactic, Connors was never a real serve and volleyer like McEnroe. Like Maria he was very much an agressive baseliner and arguably the best returner I've ever seen. Btw, I don't think that Connors failed when he was coaching Roddick. Early on in their partnership Roddick's results improved and even his backhand got a bit better. True, he didn't beat Federer at a slam, but I doubt that any coach could have achieved that with Andy.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #250
country flag !VamosRafa!

!VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post

btw, was she still working with Joyce here?
She was. She played great in spring and summer of 2010, but just had ZERO confidence and had terrible draws in Slams due to her lower ranking.

Even tho she lost to Henin, up to that point she never played better in a match on clay and it really helped her out a lot for the future I think (as far as clay goes).
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #251
country flag MiiMo

MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post

One of her best matches lost. She proved she could adapt after a so-so first set. Please Connors, make her play like this more often again

World Number One : The One and Only One

PS : Haters gonna hate

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/UpdateWTA
MiiMo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #252
country flag !VamosRafa!

We were all freaking out. The first set was so bad, she hit ZERO winners

It looked like it was going to be a steamroll, but she really proved herself.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #253
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiMo View Post
One of her best matches lost. She proved she could adapt after a so-so first set. Please Connors, make her play like this more often again
She has played much much better clay matches since this match. So hopefully Connors doesn't make her revert Take pretty much any match of hers on clay last year But I agree that it was a mini-turning point or something on the surface. I think that serve-and-volley would have shocked Michael Joyce just as much, if not more than any of us fans I really credit every bit of clay success to Thomas Hogstedt.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #254
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
She has played much much better clay matches since this match. So hopefully Connors doesn't make her revert Take pretty much any match of hers on clay last year But I agree that it was a mini-turning point or something on the surface. I think that serve-and-volley would have shocked Michael Joyce just as much, if not more than any of us fans I really credit every bit of clay success to Thomas Hogstedt.
It certainly shocked Mauresmo, who I think was commentating.
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #255
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I am. Back in the day Connors was my favorite male player. All the stories you've heard about him being the biggest asshole in the history of the game and a master at gemesmanship are true. But I didn't give a fuck. And millions besides me didn't give a fuck either in those sex, drugs and rock'n'roll days of the game. Connors was someone who would try anything (and I mean ANYTHING) in order to win. So from a mental perspective him working with Maria might work because as a player he was the type of guy who never would settle for second best. And as I said in a previous post, as a player and a competitor Maria reminds me of Jimbo. She's a female Connors without the gamesmanship. And even though he would sometimes employ that tactic, Connors was never a real serve and volleyer like McEnroe. Like Maria he was very much an agressive baseliner and arguably the best returner I've ever seen. Btw, I don't think that Connors failed when he was coaching Roddick. Early on in their partnership Roddick's results improved and even his backhand got a bit better. True, he didn't beat Federer at a slam, but I doubt that any coach could have achieved that with Andy.
From what you're saying they really will be great together. I need Maria to show some attitude on the court the way she used to, I want her to be cocky and to go into matches believing that she's the queen there and the other player is the peasant no matter who's on the other side of the net .

We'll see how she'll handle her first tournament with the new tactics and all .
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote