JK Rowling's secret bestseller: The Cuckoo’s Calling, by 'Robert Galbraith' - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
country flag Julian.
La reine de la terre battue.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute
JK Rowling's secret bestseller: The Cuckoo’s Calling, by 'Robert Galbraith'

Sunday 14 July 2013
JK Rowling's secret bestseller: The Cuckoo’s Calling, by 'Robert Galbraith'
Crime novel won universal praise from critics when it came out in April

JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, secretly penned a crime novel which became a rave-review bestseller without readers realising she had written it.

The Cuckoo’s Calling, a story about the mysterious death of a model falling from a balcony which is probed by a war veteran turned private investigator, won universal praise from critics when it came out in April.

It was released by Sphere, part of the Little Brown publishing, and marked as a debut novel from ‘Robert Galbraith’.

Ms Rowling told the Sunday Times that she had hoped the true identity behind her pen name ‘Robert Galbraith’ would have been concealed for longer.

“Being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience,” she said. “It has been wonderful to publish without hype and expectation and pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name.”

The book’s listing on Little Brown’s website confirms that Galbraith is a pseudonym. The biographical details say the writer spent seven “several years with the Royal Military Police”.

The 450 page novel has been likened to the works of prolific crime fiction writers Ruth Rendell and PD James.

Ms Rowling was under pressure after the worldwide success of the seven Harry Potter stories when she published her novel for an adult audience, The Casual Vacancy, last year.

It received a mixed critical reception, but claimed good sales and has been chosen for a BBC adaptation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...h-8707707.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Calling

Before Rowling's identity was revealed, 1500 copies of the book had been sold since its release in April 2013.[7] According to the online outlet of New Statesman, the book surged from 4,709th to the 3rd best selling novel on Amazon after it was revealed on 14 July 2013 that the book was written by Rowling under the nom de plume of Robert Galbraith,[8] rising from 30,486th on the Amazon best sellers ranking in general earlier that day to claim the #1 spot.[9]
The book received almost universal critical acclaim despite not being a huge commercial event. The website of The Independent states that the book "became a rave-review bestseller without readers realising she had written it."[10]
On the social reading website Goodreads, the novel has a rating of 4 out of 5, indicating almost completely favourable reviews for the book from a total of 82 votes and 36 reviews.[11] The readers on the website call it "a mature, realistic take on an often-done genre" with "some of the most endearingly likeable characters in the genre."
Publishers Weekly said that the novel combined "a complex and compelling sleuth and an equally well-formed and unlikely assistant with a baffling crime" to make a "stellar debut."[12]

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr.graphics thread

Last edited by Julian. : Jul 16th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
country flag Julian.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JK Rowling's secret bestseller: The Cuckoo’s Calling, by 'Robert Galbraith'

After reading her Harry Potter and "The Casual Vacancy", I kept wanting for more Rowling. Didn't expect I can get it this soon!

tumblr.graphics thread
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a good idea to write under a different name.

I've only read HP books. I don't think she's a particularly good writer. What she did do well was plotting and character development and creating a believable world that we can relate to.

Crime fiction is not my thing anyway.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #4
country flag Julian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
I think it's a good idea to write under a different name.

I've only read HP books. I don't think she's a particularly good writer. What she did do well was plotting and character development and creating a believable world that we can relate to.

Crime fiction is not my thing anyway.
Yup that's her strength definitely. Character developments. I can see that at The Casual Vacancy too.

tumblr.graphics thread
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
country flag borrowedheaven

borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future

I immediately ordered it Amazon, I was afraid it would go out of stock.
I do think she's a gifted writer. She managed to create a series that appealed to adults as well as children, without her writing being 'dumbed down' at any point. And I've rarely ever connected with characters as much as I did with hers. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but fiction doesn't always have to be. There's nothing I enjoy more than a Harry Potter book on a holiday

Clijsters|Pavlyuchenkova|Kvitova|Azarenka

borrowedheaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to read this.

I think she's still somewhat underrated as a writer. Whether what she writes is great literature with a capital L is probably debatable, but IMO everything she's written so far has been a great read, with more depth and subtlety than a lot of people give her credit for. She's no Dan Brown or Stephen King, that's for sure.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
country flag borrowedheaven

borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Can't wait to read this.

I think she's still somewhat underrated as a writer. Whether what she writes is great literature with a capital L is probably debatable, but IMO everything she's written so far has been a great read, with more depth and subtlety than a lot of people give her credit for. She's no Dan Brown or Stephen King, that's for sure.
For me Dan Brown is the prime example of being overrated His stories grasp your attention but the actual writing is a let down for me. Shows how subjective everything really is.

Clijsters|Pavlyuchenkova|Kvitova|Azarenka

borrowedheaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrowedheaven View Post
For me Dan Brown is the prime example of being overrated His stories grasp your attention but the actual writing is a let down for me. Shows how subjective everything really is.
I couldn't agree more. I was comparing her favorably to these guys, not unfavorably
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
country flag Betten

Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future Betten has a brilliant future

Looks like the book's sales figures weren't up to par, so they had to reveal her identity for the free publicity.
Betten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betten View Post
Looks like the book's sales figures weren't up to par, so they had to reveal her identity for the free publicity.
Not sure what your point is. It got rave reviews before anybody had a clue she wrote it.

And if she was hard up for cash to pay for groceries, why go to the trouble of inventing a pseudonym in the first place?
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #11
country flag eck
Esmerelda

eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the fact that she was asked the question first instead of making a song and dance about it.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #12
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure what your point is. It got rave reviews before anybody had a clue she wrote it.

And if she was hard up for cash to pay for groceries, why go to the trouble of inventing a pseudonym in the first place?
I think the point is pretty clear. Rave reviews don't necessarily translate into big sales.

But people often will buy books (or anything else) because of the name of the person involved rather than the quality (a subjective thing anyway).

Nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I think the point is pretty clear. Rave reviews don't necessarily translate into big sales.

But people often will buy books (or anything else) because of the name of the person involved rather than the quality (a subjective thing anyway).

Nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.
No, I got that, but my point was that it really doesn't add up. The only reason a famous author would publish under a pseudonym is to find out whether they can make it without cashing on the name. In the case of an ostensibly unknown author on his debut, the couple of months the book had been out is far too short to suss that out. Compare the four or five novels "Richard Bachman" published over a 5-year period before he was outed as Stephen King.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #14
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, I got that, but my point was that it really doesn't add up. The only reason a famous author would publish under a pseudonym is to find out whether they can make it without cashing on the name. In the case of an ostensibly unknown author on his debut, the couple of months the book had been out is far too short to suss that out. Compare the four or five novels "Richard Bachman" published over a 5-year period before he was outed as Stephen King.
True. But then the question becomes why not wait for a few years before the reveal in order to get a true reading (no pun intended).

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
True. But then the question becomes why not wait for a few years before the reveal in order to get a true reading (no pun intended).
I think that was the intention. She was apparently outed by a journalist from the Sunday Times who was suspicious of how good it was for a debut novel and did some sleuthing of his own.