Maria and Thomas go seperate ways - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #151
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

I think there's as many Serena fans in the thread in GM as there is Maria fans
Advertisement

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #152
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post
I'm pretty skeptic about this. Her post-injury game has reached a peak in 2012 and since the FO 2012, her game has slowly been deteriorating (tho have results have remained consistent). At all Slams this year she had weaker results than last year, so I expect she will have another year in the top 5 in 2014 and then her game will start to decline rapidly.

I don't think she can improve and despite everything, her game is limited, no matter how hard she works on it. She had a much more fluid motion in her shots in 2004-2009 and after that her game became too robotized. She was very lucky to win the FO 2012 and it's the highlight of her post-injury career, but I don't think she will win any more Slams. She will surely be a contender to go far at the AO and FO though.
THIS. Honestly, if it weren't for her guile and relentless power, Maria would probably be getting hammered by the competition a lot more now. Hoggy got her to be consistent...too consistent...to the point where her game is a book that the top players have memorized

Edit: She was also more of a shotmaker, less of a ball machine before

Last edited by effedcamel : Jul 14th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
effedcamel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #153
country flag Abuttons

Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold

I'm surprised about Maria's choice. I do not have a strong opinion on Connors' ability as coach, at the moment I'm leaning more on the skeptical side. The results will speak. What counts is that Maria remains healthy and committed to the game. No coach can make miracles without that.
Abuttons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #154
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

two interesting articles I read in these past days

http://footfault.net/2013/07/12/but-...omas-hogstedt/

http://www.thetennisspace.com/five-t...nors-as-coach/
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #155
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trih View Post
That first article pretty much covers everything that's been discussed here regarding Maria's game over recent weeks and months. That she's not as good a player compared to before the shoulder surgery, that she's better on slower courts, that Thomas helped her develop more topspin to her shots, that she can't sustain depth and consistency with her shots on fast courts, getting exposed by more athletic players, and that she hit a wall with Thomas as coach and wasn't progressing anymore.

It's a good article though, and lays out the real concerns that are evident for Maria at this point in her career. That 2012 clay court run and the French title in particular are what made these past 4 years worth it. Take away that one big major title and what did Maria really accomplish under Thomas?

Bless Maria, she's been trying so, so hard since the surgery to improve and thank goodness she got the French. But when I watch matches of hers post-2009 and compare them to 2004-2008, I still come away feeling it's night and day with the difference. She was such a more well-rounded, confident, and flat-out better player in the early years.

Connors or no Connors, whether you like or hate the move, I wonder if any coach is capable of instilling the piece or two that's needed in Maria's game for her to be more effective on faster courts and to be able to hold her own against the younger, more athletic players that continue to come. Or is she going to continue to look older, slower, and more robotic where matches like the de Brito one become more frequent.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #156
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Let's put her "confidence and game" with hypotetical numbers... For example, let's call Maria's best level no. 8... Then let's say that the surgery subtracted 3 numbers away and she had no. 5 when she returned and that Joyce managed her to climb 0,5 or 1 number more, to 5,5-6.. Thomas IMO pushed her back to no. 7.. The certain part of the subtracted will never be returned, imo! But still better to add some numbers than to stagnate... that is my humble opinion.
Do you understand what I am trying to say??
Slam or no Slam he helped her regain confidence, he pushed her back to the latter stages of Slams, in 2011 when she reached SF in RG we went crazy, QF, SF in years!!, or noone remembers that anymore?? He made her consistent! He helped her climb back to the top 3 and even more to be no.1 again... He added that spring step, the belief... Which also helped her to win a Slam...
I hope Connors will be good without learning her "his way"...
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #157
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw the news, I'm really surprised. I personally loved Hogsted and think he's done a lot of good for Maria. I hate when a player isn't playing their best and people blame the coach.
Yes this year hasn't been Maria's best, but it wasn't bad by any means.

Anyways, I'm really curios to see how this partnership is going to work out. Hopefully it will be for the better.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #158
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

I can still see that Mexicola is pushing his de Brito match as an agenda of how current Maria plays off the claycourts...watch him also downplay Maria's competition on Stanford blazing fast courts, when she more than likely hammer all the players. Whining fans be whining I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #159
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
I can still see that Mexicola is pushing his de Brito match as an agenda of how current Maria plays off the claycourts...watch him also downplay Maria's competition on Stanford blazing fast courts, when she more than likely hammer all the players. Whining fans be whining I guess
I am downplaying the field at Stanford because Serena and Vika won't be there. Not having them makes any tournament watered down. So Maria SHOULD win this tourney.

It's still too early to expect any real differences in her game taking place from her partnership from Connors. We should see the typical Maria game we're accustomed to. She'll be well-rested and very eager and inspired to play, putting Wimbledon behind her.

It'll be a good indicator to see if she's ready to make a splash in the US Open Series.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #160
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I am downplaying the field at Stanford because Serena and Vika won't be there. Not having them makes any tournament watered down. So Maria SHOULD win this tourney.

It's still too early to expect any real differences in her game taking place from her partnership from Connors. We should see the typical Maria game we're accustomed to. She'll be well-rested and very eager and inspired to play, putting Wimbledon behind her.

It'll be a good indicator to see if she's ready to make a splash in the US Open Series.
do you think Bartoli cares that she didn't have to beat Williams or Azarenka on her way to a slam title? Let alone beating a TOP 10 player LOL? This is WTA we are talking about - draws are gonna open up all the time, as it happened so often in the past already. Azarenka herself got majorly lucky in Australia, after Li got injured in a final match against her. This is sports, where luck always plays a big part no matter how good a player in question is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #161
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That first article pretty much covers everything that's been discussed here regarding Maria's game over recent weeks and months. That she's not as good a player compared to before the shoulder surgery, that she's better on slower courts, that Thomas helped her develop more topspin to her shots, that she can't sustain depth and consistency with her shots on fast courts, getting exposed by more athletic players, and that she hit a wall with Thomas as coach and wasn't progressing anymore.

It's a good article though, and lays out the real concerns that are evident for Maria at this point in her career. That 2012 clay court run and the French title in particular are what made these past 4 years worth it. Take away that one big major title and what did Maria really accomplish under Thomas?

Bless Maria, she's been trying so, so hard since the surgery to improve and thank goodness she got the French. But when I watch matches of hers post-2009 and compare them to 2004-2008, I still come away feeling it's night and day with the difference. She was such a more well-rounded, confident, and flat-out better player in the early years.

Connors or no Connors, whether you like or hate the move, I wonder if any coach is capable of instilling the piece or two that's needed in Maria's game for her to be more effective on faster courts and to be able to hold her own against the younger, more athletic players that continue to come. Or is she going to continue to look older, slower, and more robotic where matches like the de Brito one become more frequent.
Sickening, the same comments ad nauseum I have to give you credit though, I mean WOW. How you have managed to convince yourself and so many that you are some sort of objective and realistic fan is beyond me. Such a good tactic though, I mean, anytime a fan calls you up on your disgusting and overly sarcastic rants you get to instantly resort to:

Quote:
It's typical of the rose-colored glasses wearing fan that they see only what they want to see. And stating that EVERY one of my 700+ posts contains negativity towards Maria is a perfect example of how blind you are to reality.
Quote:
Well of course any shred of criticism sounds ridiculous to any Maria sycophant who's incapable of pointing out any flaw from their infallible princess.
Clever (yep take it as a compliment). These two segments within this one, single quote are dripping in so much sarcasm that you could probably fill an ocean.

Quote:
Bless Maria, she's been trying so, so hard since the surgery to improve and thank goodness she got the French.
Quote:
And of course we have the overly dramatic, negative (not objective, despite what you convince yourself of) histrionics I managed to find within a 2-page post search.

Quote:
if she wants to remain a top 5 player in the next 3 years.
Quote:
this could be the start of a slide
Quote:
she’s probably one of the great overachievers in tennis history.
Congratulations on getting a reaction, which no doubt is all you are after. But I really wanted to highlight that your little game is fooling nobody. For the record, I don't care if anyone critiques Maria, I have critiqued her heaps of times myself . I don't expect you to start posting any differently. I have a problem with you trying to cast the illusion that you are even remotely objective and realistic and I will continue to call you out on it because it is incredibly easy to do. What sickens me about posters like you is that the moment she wins another big title [with wins over Azarenka (wow she’s that good in your mind?) and Serena, seeing as though facing them seems to be a condition for winning a big, tough tournament for you] then you will be out there flipping on your ‘opinion’ faster than anyone can click. Based on several quotes from you just in a 2-page post-search, you think she’s done and dusted. Every decision, whether coaching or game related is wrong (not falling for your clever use of – wait for it – NEGATIVE hypotheticals). She’s past her prime. A falling comet destined for a big crash landing. Why bother? Why log in? Why post? Why watch her matches? Why care? I think we both know the answer to that.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #162
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

I want to good rep you Lachy but I can't...
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #163
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Mexicola = Matt Cronin?

#conspiracy
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #164
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
I want to good rep you Lachy but I can't...
+1
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #165
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

can't wait for Mexicola's retort