Maria and Thomas go seperate ways - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #121
country flag Panther24

Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Just as I posted on GM.. Don't know how to feel about this

But just read that part where it said they worked together before, so Connors won't be a complete stranger all of the sudden.

Lets hope it turns out for the good, all the best for Maria and this cycle with a new coach
Panther24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #122
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. In terms of tennis, I think it's quite a good fit, though I am slightly skeptical about his experience with coaching big name players.

But I just don't like him as a person after the Chrissie thing, and the whole of his book promotion. He just seemed such an arse about it.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #123
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Andy Murray wasn't able to win anything big until Ivan Lendl became his coach. Since Lendl, he's won 2012 OG, 2012 USO and 2013 Wimbledon titles.

Maria desperately needs something different, and hopefully Connors is the jolt she needs.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #124
country flag codrutc

codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold codrutc is a splendid one to behold

I am afraid Jimmy is not the answer for Maria. We shall see.
codrutc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #125
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

I do not know if he will be a good or bad coach for her. Only time will tell us. All I can say is - I have mixed feelings; the dude as a person is... do not know what word to use not to be insulting... I know a bit about him as a player from what my dad told me, but I do not know what kind of a coach is he.. ah, Maria, what are you doing?? I hope you know and you do well...
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #126
country flag !VamosRafa!

!VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of !VamosRafa! has much to be proud of

I'm pretty skeptic about this. Her post-injury game has reached a peak in 2012 and since the FO 2012, her game has slowly been deteriorating (tho have results have remained consistent). At all Slams this year she had weaker results than last year, so I expect she will have another year in the top 5 in 2014 and then her game will start to decline rapidly.

I don't think she can improve and despite everything, her game is limited, no matter how hard she works on it. She had a much more fluid motion in her shots in 2004-2009 and after that her game became too robotized. She was very lucky to win the FO 2012 and it's the highlight of her post-injury career, but I don't think she will win any more Slams. She will surely be a contender to go far at the AO and FO though.
!VamosRafa! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #127
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

I'm hoping Connors can get that self-belief back into Maria that she's been lacking for the most part since 2010. If you look at her demeanor on-court in 2008 versus her's now, you can see how much less confident and more afraid she looks.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #128
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by effedcamel View Post
I'm hoping Connors can get that self-belief back into Maria that she's been lacking for the most part since 2010. If you look at her demeanor on-court in 2008 versus her's now, you can see how much less confident and more afraid she looks.
Yeah, I kind of agree that I think she's probably hired him to help with her mentality rather than anything to do with her game. I mean, we all know that even though she's still a very good competitor, one of her biggest problems in recent years has been that she's not as fearless as she used to be and often lets pressure situations get into her head. Who knows, maybe he really did have something to do with how extraordinarily determined, focussed and fearless she looked at the AO08. If (and it's a very big "if") he can get her into that mindset on a regular basis, maybe this appointment makes sense.

I want to see her relishing the challenge of playing Serena, of playing any other of her bogeys (thinking particularly of when she always looked terrified when playing Azarenka in early 2012 even though she arguably is more comfortable with that match-up now), or of playing in the later rounds of a Slam, rather than looking like she has the weight of the world in pressure on her shoulders when she plays those types of matches as has been her norm. Connors lost something like 12 of his last 14 matches against McEnroe, but he still went out there everytime he played against him visibly very hungry and "playing to win". Hopefully he can impart that kind of mindset onto her.

Although, I do stil hope there's someone on her team (her hitting partner or something) who will do homework on her opponents and help her with specific shots or gameplans, because I doubt Connors will have much interest in most of that and I feel she still really needs that kind of assistance.

Last edited by dsanders06 : Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #129
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I do stil hope there's someone on her team (her hitting partner or something) who will do homework on her opponents and help her with specific shots or gameplans, because I doubt Connors will have much interest in most of that and I feel she still really needs that kind of assistance.
That's Jimmy's obligation, not of anybody else.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #130
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post
I don't think she can improve and despite everything, her game is limited, no matter how hard she works on it. She had a much more fluid motion in her shots in 2004-2009 and after that her game became too robotized. She was very lucky to win the FO 2012 and it's the highlight of her post-injury career, but I don't think she will win any more Slams. She will surely be a contender to go far at the AO and FO though.
Limited is only the thinking of some people. Injury permitting Maria could win another 4-5 GS by the end of 2016 season. That's the task and that's why so much money is paid to hire Jimmy.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #131
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really happy with this decision. I'm not sure what he is like tactically or in terms of technique but he is one of the most dogged fighters in tennis history. I think he will be a great motivator for Masha and will take her to the next level mentally. Thomas really improved her overall technique so I dont really feel the need for changes there. I'm really excited about this new partnership.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #132
country flag masha122

masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 1 min
Sorry was on cross country flight w/ my daughter when Sharapova news broke. Yuri has always liked Connors & Maria worked w/ him bit before

26/06/2013 the cursed wednesday in wimbledon and tennis
history

Danceney is back !!!
masha122 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #133
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masha122 View Post
Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 1 min
Sorry was on cross country flight w/ my daughter when Sharapova news broke. Yuri has always liked Connors & Maria worked w/ him bit before
another groundbreaking tweet by Cronin.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #134
country flag masha122

masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all masha122 is a name known to all

he loves the drama

history

Danceney is back !!!
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #135
country flag masha122

yep he loves the drama he already started bitching :

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 37 s
...respect him & as long as interactions arent too frequent/extensive it could last a year or more. But he can lose interest (ie Roddick)
Ouvrir Répondre Retweeter Favori Plus
Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 2 min
On Sharapova and Connors: I suspect he's not going to be around every tournament & there will be a coach working under him. She does..

history

Danceney is back !!!