Serena: Did her French Open win cost her the Wimbledon title? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #46
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena: Did her French Open win cost her the Wimbledon title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
She was like that during RG, so I don't get your point.
Yes, you did not get my point.
She does not just leave it to one tournament.
It has become a continuum; she carries the pressue from event to event.
It is a perfect storm of successful milestone to carry forward and more to achieve; tinning streak, the grand slam win to get closer to Martina Nav and Chrissy, and with each match she becomes forever more irritable for little mistakes she used to brush off.

Yo could see even leading up to the French, her nervousness increased from tournament to tourmnanent, stating at Charleston.
Her pefromance became tighter and tighter despite the one-side score. It got to a point where I'd rather watch a replay than live.
She makes you nervous watching, you even forget the score, so taken by her body language of irritation, thwoing up her hands in disgust after a poor exxecution, making faces as if she is about to cry.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jul 11th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #47
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

After she got up in the third, she took her foot off of the gas and Lisicki seized the chance.

End of story.

See 2009 FO.

EIGHTEEN GRAND SLAMS
LaReina Jameka Williams
MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #48
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it did. This is why Justine never won Wimbledon. Its too close and she always preferred Paris over London.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #49
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarindipity View Post
Serena didn't participate in this year's Wimbledon idk what y'all are talking about.
Right, I don't even recall what event these people are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #50
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a combination. You have to give credit where it is due to Sabine's talent on grass and her great play that match. But I think Serena was mentally fatigued/ got tight. She lost the length on her ground strokes. She had 3-1 40-15 and then had love -40 to get get back on track and blew that. I still say almost all of Serena's matches are going to be won or lost on her racquet, but Sabine has to be given great credit for her play that day.

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13,14)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #51
country flag Tylane

Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of Tylane has much to be proud of

It happens to every champion to lose (quite) early in a grand slam, nothing weird.
And it happens they don't play as well as they use to do it. Rafa played badly until the 1/4 in RG this year, then afterwards he was unbeatle. He had very tough matchs in the first rounds. We can think Serera would have played better and better if she had won this match. In Paris, she had a very tough match against Kuznetsova, but ended by winning it.

Moreover, it was probably tougher for her to be as focused in Wimbledon, only 2 weeks after RG, didn't have time enough to enjoy her win and rest. Mentally she was a bit tired and not at her best.
The bad timing between both grand slams didn't help her, that's sure !!!
Tylane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #52
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it was just RG's fault, but was an accumulation of the whole Miami-RG run. I think mentally, she wasn't at her best for Wimbledon.
The Rolling Stone mess was a big distraction, too. She just couldn't summon up the level she was gonna need to beat Sabine, so she lost.

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #53
country flag BineMachine

BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of BineMachine has much to be proud of

Lisicki wasn't afforded excuses for not winning Wimbledon by people on here so Serena shouldn't be either

Garbine & Sabine
BineMachine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #54
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of beautiful games

venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future

No. Lisicki cost her the title.
venusinfurs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #55
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of beautiful games

venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future venusinfurs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BineMachine View Post
Lisicki wasn't afforded excuses for not winning Wimbledon by people on here so Serena shouldn't be either
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #56
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
No. Lisicki cost her the title.
Stop trolling, people are trying to have a serious conversation here.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #57
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of beautiful games

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
Stop trolling, people are trying to have a serious conversation here.
Oh please, I just answered the question. Or is it not possible for Serena to lose against the better player on the day? Always have to have some excuse for a loss.

Serena herself said she wasn't surprised at how Lisicki played and pointed to Lisicki's record on grass. Is it really so shocking that the only player on her side of the draw that could trouble Serena did just that?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #58
country flag venusinfurs
Fan of beautiful games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterp01 View Post
I think it's a combination. You have to give credit where it is due to Sabine's talent on grass and her great play that match. But I think Serena was mentally fatigued/ got tight. She lost the length on her ground strokes. She had 3-1 40-15 and then had love -40 to get get back on track and blew that. I still say almost all of Serena's matches are going to be won or lost on her racquet, but Sabine has to be given great credit for her play that day.
Agree with most of that, definitely a combination although i'd give slightly more credit to Lisicki for unsettling Serena with how well she was playing, especially in the 3rd set... second serve aces helped too.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #59
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
Oh please, I just answered the question. Or is it not possible for Serena to lose against the better player on the day? Always have to have some excuse for a loss.

Serena herself said she wasn't surprised at how Lisicki played and pointed to Lisicki's record on grass. Is it really so shocking that the only player on her side of the draw that could trouble Serena did just that?
This is a discussion forum. The reason why she lost is not black or white. Sure Lisicki was very good, but there are other factors. I even think the middle Sunday 40th anniversary WTA thing wasn't good. She looked tense there - composed but burning inside, probably because of the Pova controversy.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #60
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute

If it did, I'm happy she won the French this year instead.

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote