Female inmates sterilized without approval - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
country flag plantman

plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute
Female inmates sterilized without approval

SACRAMENTO, July 7 (UPI) -- The Center for Investigative Reporting said Sunday doctors sterilized nearly 150 female inmates between 2006 and 2010 in California without state approvals.

The doctors, who were under contract the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, preformed tubal ligations on 148 women in violation of prison rules during those five years, the center reported.

The state paid the doctors a total of $147,460 to perform the procedure from 1997 to 2010, a database shows.

The women were signed up for the surgery while they were pregnant, and former prison inmates and advocates said that medical staff coerced the women into agreeing to the procedure.

Since 1994, using state funds for the procedure has required approval from top medical officials on a case-by-case basis.

No tubal litigation requests have come before the health care committee responsible for the approvals, Dr. Ricki Barnett, who tracks medical services and costs for the California Prison Health Care Receivership Corp.

Barnett said she researched the procedures and met with the officials at women's prisons and contracted health workers.

The doctors and prison officials were unaware of the 1994 ban, she said.

"Everybody was operating on the fact that this was a perfectly reasonable thing to do," she said.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...#ixzz2YTFMuXg5

From what I'm reading/hearing is that these women were coerced into, not forced to have this procedure. Why would someone not want this procedure done, if it meant you could fuck whomever/whenever without bringing another child into the world that you can't afford to feed/clothe?

Next step.....The male prison system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #2
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Female inmates sterilized without approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantman View Post
From what I'm reading/hearing is that these women were coerced into, not forced to have this procedure. Why would someone not want this procedure done, if it meant you could fuck whomever/whenever without bringing another child into the world that you can't afford to feed/clothe?

It doesn't matter whether they want it or not. It should be there decision to make and they should not be coerced into it. Do you not respect bodily integrity?
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #3
country flag plantman

plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
It doesn't matter whether they want it or not. It should be there decision to make and they should not be coerced into it. Do you not respect bodily integrity?
I found this to be an interesting read............

Friday, March 9, 2012

Bodily Integrity

In my opinion, bodily integrity—the idea that no person has the right to use another person’s body against their will--is the strongest pro-choice argument.

Consider the court case McFall v Shimp: McFall suffered from a life-threatening bone marrow disease and his cousin, Shimp, was a compatible bone marrow donor. Shimp refused to donate bone marrow. McFall requested Shimp be compelled to donate. The Court considered Shimp’s refusal “morally indefensible,” but still ruled in Shimp’s favor, explaining,

“For a society which respects the rights of one individual, to sink its teeth into the jugular vein or neck of one of its members and suck from it sustenance for another member, is revolting to our hard-wrought concepts of jurisprudence. Forcible extraction of living body tissue causes revulsion to the judicial mind.”

Judith Jarvis Thomson tackles the issues of bodily integrity and moral obligations in her essay, “A Defense of Abortion.” Thomson asks us to imagine a famous violinist with a fatal kidney ailment. One day a bunch of music lovers kidnap you and hook your kidneys up to the violinist’s circulatory system. In nine months the violinist will have recovered, but if you disconnect yourself prematurely the violinist will die. Thomson asks, “Is it morally incumbent on you to accede to this situation?”

I’ve often seen car crashes used as another analogy. When you drive (have sex), you know there’s a possibility you could crash into someone (conceive). Even when you drive very cautiously (use contraception), there is still a chance of a car accident. Should you be in a car crash in which the victim’s life is at stake, the law does not compel you to donate blood or organs to save the victim. While it would be admirable for you to donate, you are not required to do so.

These analogies attempt to illustrate not only the importance of bodily integrity, but that bodily integrity is so essential it cannot be usurped by even the morally and physically complex circumstances of pregnancy. Yet in the context of abortion each of the above examples fails to account for one or more of the following important factors:

1) Roughly 99% of abortions are performed for pregnancies in which sex was consensual. Two people willingly participated in an action that carried the risk of making another life dependent on the woman’s body. This is distinct from being kidnapped and forcibly attached to someone. How would Thomson’s thought experiment change if you caused the violinist’s kidney ailment, connected your kidneys to his circulatory system, and then wanted to unplug?

2) Once pregnant, the woman is already donating her body to the fetus. It is not a question of whether she can be compelled to donate, but whether she can rescind the donation. This may seem a meaningless distinction until we reconsider Shimp v. McFall. How would the Court react if Shimp had already donated bone marrow to McFall and now wanted to have it back?

3) Unintended pregnancies occur at a far greater rate than comparable bodily donation situations. About 1-9% of women who use birth control pills and 2-18% of couples who use condoms experience unplanned pregnancies. Even the most effective form of female sterilization has a 0.3% chance of an unplanned pregnancy. For those of us who drive daily, that’s the equivalent of causing at least one life-threatening car crash every year.

4) For most of the pregnancy, the expectant mother is the only person who can keep the fetus alive. Imagine if our country had no infrastructure of blood banks and organ donors. Imagine that, during your annual life-threatening car crash, you were the only person who could save the life of whomever you’d hit. I doubt our laws would be unaffected by such frequent, extreme situations.

And none of this even touches on the particular circumstances of parental responsibility.

I know analogies are not meant to exactly mirror the circumstances they represent, and yet here I’ve spent a blog post nitpicking analogies. But that’s sort of the point, isn’t it? While bodily integrity is an important right, the frequency, physical circumstances, and moral implications of pregnancy are so unique that even in deciding Roe v.Wade, the Court specifically avoided using bodily integrity as a basis for its reasoning:

“…appellant and some amici argue that the woman's right is absolute and that she is entitled to terminate her pregnancy at whatever time, in whatever way, and for whatever reason she alone chooses. With this we do not agree. … In fact, it is not clear to us that the claim asserted by some amici that one has an unlimited right to do with one's body as one pleases bears a close relationship to the right of privacy previously articulated in the Court's decisions. The Court has refused to recognize an unlimited right of this kind in the past.”

I empathize with people who find abortion troubling but find an incursion on bodily rights at least as troubling. Bodily integrity should not be debated trivially. However, given the millions of times a year people willingly take the risk that someone’s life will depend exclusively on their bodies, and given the hundreds of thousands of times a year that risk becomes a reality, these circumstances are anything but trivial.

http://blog.secularprolife.org/2012/...integrity.html
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #4
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #5
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Nearly 150 female inmates sterilized in Calif. without approval

1 day ago

This is your Terrible Thing of the Day. Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilzed nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without the required state approval. At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years, and there are maybe 100 more dating to the late 1990s. Former inmates and advocates maintain that the prison's medical staff coerced women, focusing their efforts on those they deemed likely to return to prison. "Everybody was operating on the fact that this was a perfectly reasonable thing to do," said Dr. Ricki Barnett, who tracks medical services and costs for the California Prison Health Care Receivership Corp. And that's probably the most horrifying thing about this story. [Source]

Trending topic: female inmates sterilized | Click to see more on msnNOW.com

[Now MSN]

JN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #6
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Crickets from Democrats. Had this been Texas instead of California, Democrats would be outraged.
You were saying? I, a Democrat, posted this as a new thread w/o realizing it had already been posted. So again, you were saying???
Quote:

Of course w/o the sick commentary of your partner in kind, as shown above.

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nearly 150 female inmates sterilized in Calif. without approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post

1 day ago

This is your Terrible Thing of the Day. Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilzed nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without the required state approval. At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years, and there are maybe 100 more dating to the late 1990s. Former inmates and advocates maintain that the prison's medical staff coerced women, focusing their efforts on those they deemed likely to return to prison. "Everybody was operating on the fact that this was a perfectly reasonable thing to do," said Dr. Ricki Barnett, who tracks medical services and costs for the California Prison Health Care Receivership Corp. And that's probably the most horrifying thing about this story. [Source]

Trending topic: female inmates sterilized | Click to see more on msnNOW.com

[Now MSN]
Truly amazing they had the foresight to take a photo of the women waiting to be sterilized!
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #8

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a minute. Women don't wear pink uniforms in California.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
country flag plantman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Truly amazing they had the foresight to take a photo of the women waiting to be sterilized!
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #10
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Quote:
And the circle-jerk continues. More of this tired old schtick and I may have to plop you both back into the ignore bin before the weekend.

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #11

Quote:
And the circle-jerk continues. More of this tired old schtick and I may have to plop you both back into the ignore bin before the weekend.
You can whistle Dixie out of your ass while doing the Crab Walk for all I care before the weekend, but you're going to get called out for posting fake and misleading stuff.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #12
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
You can whistle Dixie out of your ass while doing the Crab Walk for all I care before the weekend, but you're going to get called out for posting fake and misleading stuff.
Reminiscing of your days as a warm up act on the traveling burlesque circuit?

BTW, when you find proof that the pic of the female inmates is inauthentic, get back to me... better yet, get back to someone who'll quote you, cuz your days are numbered.

Old Jul 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
country flag plantman

Quote:

as Sam Davis said..............

"How dare they cut into the future Democrat voter base".....
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #14
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:

You've said, to hell with trying to mask your repugnant racist views, huh? Well, I mean, it's not like you have anything to lose by doing so.

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #15
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

I hope you people who were so taken aback and outraged by the treatment Marion Bartoli received outside of TF are paying attention to those same elements here within TF.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cuz if you let this pass w/o the same passionate replies of disgust, you're as phony and full of shit as the two posters quoted above below me.