Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass - Page 56 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #826
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass

Yeh I don't buy the height issue either tbh
She just isn't disciplined enough on grass these days, because she reverts back to her clay game. Which is why if in her wildest dreams she wanted to win another WImbledon, playing a grass warm-up tournament will be vital. In two years they'll be adding an extra week between RG + W
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #827
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
Janowicz is almost 2m and Venus is about the same height as Martha, I don't really buy the too tall excuse. She needs to go back to her flatter shots and angles that's it.
Janowicz has a huge serve, of the kind no woman can produce, which is the main reason why he does well on grass. Venus is a couple of inches shorter than Maria (and just a couple of inches can be crucial) and also is more athletic than Maria and thus is (or was, in her prime days) able to consistently crouch down and hit the ball at a comfortable height, in a way Maria can't.

Last year I did believe her grasscourt problems were mainly just because she wasn't playing aggressive enough, but this year I realised she actually was trying to play aggressively, but the bounce just doesn't allow her to time her attempted aggressive shots correctly, especially on the forehand. In her two matches there this year, she probably hit her forehand cleanly less than 10 times.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #828
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Janowicz has a huge serve, of the kind no woman can produce, which is the main reason why he does well on grass. Venus is a couple of inches shorter than Maria (and just a couple of inches can be crucial) and also is more athletic than Maria and thus is (or was, in her prime days) able to consistently crouch down and hit the ball at a comfortable height, in a way Maria can't.

Last year I did believe her grasscourt problems were mainly just because she wasn't playing aggressive enough, but this year I realised she actually was trying to play aggressively, but the bounce just doesn't allow her to time her attempted aggressive shots correctly, especially on the forehand. In her two matches there this year, she probably hit her forehand cleanly less than 10 times.
she definitely had some problems with her forehand in these two matches for sure, but we have to consider how unlucky she was for the last two years as well...first of all, facing streaking Lisicki in early round last year and then playing against inspired mini version of herself on a slippery court this year. Had she survived the first week of Wimbledon (and I'm convinced she would have beaten Bartoli for sure, especially if they played on a higher bouncing and slower CC), the second week would be all spent on the worn out slower grass, which would suit her game just fine against all the remaining players. So yes, I do think this was a huge missed opportunity for her and a chance to add to her slam tally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #829
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

IMO it is all due to her footwork.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #830
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

And also, her tall height means that she should have a massive serve.
claypova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #831
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Guys, the next grass tournament is in one year, so it is time to calm down and move on.
And her height was the same during OGs actually, but she played very nice....extra warm up event this is what she needs.
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #832
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
Grass is by far her worst surface now !

Maria is simply too tall. The ball bounce too low for her
Huh? She was the same height when she used to excel on grass.
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #833
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Can't we just let this thread rest in piss peace?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #834
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post

I agree with your assessment on Vee and Janowicz vs Martha, but it's primarily to show that the height issue should not really be seen as only an obstacle to her excelling on grass, she can fully utilise it as an advantage too.

As mentioned by others and you, her footwork and strokes preparation were definitely a mess. Which is why I've been saying, adding Birmingham would do wonders. She just wasn't confident enough with her game on grass to counter a streaking player in Wimbledon this year (and last year).
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #835
Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

And why isn't the OP lynched, beheaded, banned, cursed, kneed ... #therealtragedy #injustice
Mistress of Evil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote