2 charged in slaying of Chicago honor student - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
2 charged in slaying of Chicago honor student

CPD: 2 in custody being questioned for Hadiya Pendleton murder

Updated at 05:29 PM today | Michelle Gallardo

February 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Police Department has confirmed that two people are in custody being questioned for the murder of 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton.

Less than 24 hours after family and friends said tearful goodbyes at her funeral, Mayor Rahm Emanuel called her parents to tell her that there are two people of interest that police are questioning Saturday night.

It has been nearly two weeks since Hadiya was shot and killed in Harsh Park, and police have confirmed they have two people in custody who they continue to question.

Related Content

Story: President to travel to Chicago this week
Story: Michelle Obama attends Hadiya Pendleton funeral
Story: Man arrested outside Hadiya Pendleton funeral
Story: Hundreds gather to mourn Hadiya Pendleton
Story: Michelle Obama to attend Hadiya Pendleton funeral

The two men were pulled over early Saturday morning near 67th and South Chicago Avenue before they were taken into custody.

No additional information has been released regarding the suspects, and no charges have yet been filed.

The 15-year-old high school student was buried on Saturday. First Lady Michelle Obama attended the funeral service.

The arrest also comes as the White House announced that President Obama will be in Chicago on Friday to talk about gun control.

Meanwhile, a Chicago police spokesperson said Superintendent Gary McCarthy will be available Sunday to talk more about the arrests

ABC Local (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=8987666)

JN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chicago PD: 2 in custody being questioned for Hadiya Pendleton murder

if these men are guilty, hope they rot in jail for life.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2 charged in slaying of Chicago honor student

2 charged in slaying of Chicago honor student

By DON BABWIN | Associated Press – 18 mins ago

Associated Press/Courtesy of Damon Stewart, File - FILE - This undated file family photo provided by Damon
Stewart shows 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton of Chicago.

CHICAGO (AP) — Authorities said two gang members were charged with murder Monday in the death of a 15-year-old Chicago honor student who was shot just days after returning from Washington, where she performed during President Barack Obama's inauguration festivities.

Michael Ward, 18, and Kenneth Williams, 20, were charged with one count of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm, Chicago police spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said.

The two young men were described by police as "persons of interest" when they were taken into custody early Sunday, a day after first lady Michelle Obama and other dignitaries attended the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton.

Pendleton, a popular high school majorette, was with a group of friends who took cover during a rainstorm under a canopy in a park about a mile from the Obama home on the city's South Side. Police said a man hopped a fence, ran toward them and opened fire with a handgun. Pendleton was struck in the back and died later that day. Two others were injured.

Police have said none of the people in Pendleton's group were affiliated with gangs but that the gunman apparently mistook one for a member of a rival gang that had encroached on his gang's turf. The men charged Monday live nearby, Stratton said.

Pendleton's death was one of more than 40 homicides in Chicago in January, a total that made it the deadliest January in the city in more than a decade. But it was her background, her ties to the president's inauguration and the location of the park that thrust her death into the national headlines and put Chicago at the center of a national debate over gun control.

Not only did the first lady attend the teen's funeral, but the girl's parents were set to sit with Michelle Obama during the president's State of the Union address on Tuesday night. Obama is scheduled to return to Chicago three days later to discuss gun violence.

AP (http://news.yahoo.com/2-charged-slay...005334349.html)

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #4
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Obama’s Chicago trip to spotlight failure of Emanuel, McCarthy to curb gun violence

BY LYNN SWEET | February 10, 2013 9:36PM

Hadiya Pendleton

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama’s visit to Chicago on Friday will shine a brighter spotlight on the failure of Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Chief Garry McCarthy to curb gun violence in his hometown.

That’s the byproduct of Obama coming home days after his wife, Michelle, attended the Saturday funeral of Hadiya Pendleton, the 15-year-old South Sider who was gunned down in a park about a mile from the Obamas’ Kenwood home on Jan 29.

The Chicago stop is part of Obama’s push to promote the second-term priorities he will discuss Tuesday night in his State of the Union address, where he is expected to discuss his gun-related proposals, forged after the Sandy Hook school massacre. Hadiya’s mother, Cleopatra Pendleton, is going to be in the House chamber as a guest when Obama delivers that speech, the Pendleton family’s spokeswoman, Shatira Wilks, confirmed to me late Sunday.

To Chicagoans, whatever economic messages Obama wants to underscore Friday will take a back seat to anything he says about the slaughters on the streets of Chicago — 506 murders in 2012, up 16 percent from 2011 — all happening on Emanuel’s watch.

A White House official said on Sunday that Obama will travel to Chicago for “an event amplifying some of the policy proposals included in the State of the Union that focus on strengthening the economy for the middle class and the Americans striving to get there.”

“He’ll, of course, also talk about the gun violence that has tragically affected too many families in communities across Chicago and across the country,” the official said.

Obama’s return home in the wake of another horrific Chicago murder — of a teen who did everything right, who just a week before her death attended Obama’s inauguration in Washington — well, it also makes the visit undeniably personal for the father of two daughters, Malia, 14, and Sasha, 11.

White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett attended Hadiya’s funeral with Michelle Obama. She grew up a block north of the Obama family home in Kenwood.

I asked Jarrett on Sunday about their visit home for the funeral. “It’s very personal for us,” she replied.

“The first lady and I grew up in Chicago and before we moved to D.C., we raised our daughters about a mile from where Hadiya was killed. Chicago still feels like home and our hearts just goes out to the Pendleton family who raised an amazing daughter and we thought it would be important to demonstrate the grief that we’re feeling in person.”

Where Obama will speak in Chicago was not locked-in as of Sunday, but I am told that it will likely be in a school or library in a community affected by gun violence — which means on the South or West Side.

Emanuel, Obama’s former chief of staff, is still constantly in touch with the White House and presumably could have vetoed the Obama trip. He still has a lot of juice at the White House.

But he did not.

I talked with an Emanuel top strategist on Sunday and from Emanuel’s perspective, the plus is the president will make it clear that brutal violence is not unique to Chicago and that Congress needs to pass federal laws cracking down on gun-trafficking while imposing background checks on all gun sales. Those steps are needed to help stem the flow of guns into the city.

But that’s hardly a life preserver to throw to Emanuel.

The minus — and it is a big one — is that Obama’s visit will put a renewed national and maybe even international focus on the epidemic of shootings in Chicago, with innocent victims caught in the cross-fire, and Emanuel’s inability to get a handle on the soaring murder rate.

Community activists have been pleading for years for Obama to come home and help.

The Rev. Jesse L. Jackson told me Sunday, “Chicago is in a state of emergency and I think [Obama] recognizes that.”

I asked Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.) about the impact of Obama’s visit, and he told me the president might be able to make an appeal to the criminals “who are carrying out a small land war in certain neighborhoods of Chicago. This somehow has to end.”

And the pressure is on Emanuel to end it.

Southtown Star (http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/ne...-violence.html)

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Family Celebrates Hadiya Pendleton's Sweet 16

Monday, Jun 3, 2013 | Updated 9:54 AM CDT

{click image for video}

Sunday would have been Hadiya Pendleton's 16th birthday, but a stray bullet ended her life earlier this year. Gun violence also took Blair Holt's life six years ago. This weekend their families honors their lives and legacies.

Family and friends gathered Sunday night to celebrate what would have been the 16th birthday of Hadiya Pendleton, who was fatally shot in January.

Pendleton’s death made national headlines after the young teen, who had just returned from performing at the President’s inauguration, and was gunned down nearly a mile from Obama’s Kenwood home.

Sunday marked Pendleton’s 16th birthday.

Though the young teen didn’t survive to see her sweet 16, those who loved her said her spirit was at the celebration.

“Just the joy that came over everybody at the same time singing happy birthday… she was there,” said her mother Cleopatra Pendleton.

The group gathered in Pendleton’s honor singing “happy birthday” and releasing balloons into the sky.

“It’s obvious that something horrible has happened to our family and to our friends and to our loved ones, however, her life was bigger than, you know, a sad moment,” Cleopatra Pendleton said.

And Pendleton’s was just one of many birthdays being missed in the city.

Project Orange joined the celebrators to help raise awareness and keep teens like Pendleton safe. They handed out orange buttons they say will help shooters think twice.

“It’s a warning to say ‘Hey, don’t shoot me,’” said a project member. “It’s a loud color.”

Another family in the city also gathered Sunday, marking the sixth anniversary of young Blair Holt’s death.

Holt was shot shielding a friend when a man opened fire on a bus six years ago and his family gathers each year to remember his untimely death.

One thing both families have in common is their strive to stop the violence.

[NBC Chicago]

Related:
Michael Ward, 18, and Kenneth Williams, 20, are charged with first-degree murder in the death of the honors student who attended President Barack Obama's second inaugural just days before her death.

Hadiya Pendleton Murder Suspects Plead Not Guilty...

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

This trial should be covered as heavily as George Zimmerman's for killing Trayvon Martin, or shame on CNN, etc. BTW, I'm not informed enough about this case (like why the accused would mistake a small group of girls standing under a rain shelter in a park for rival gangbangers) to draw conclusions yet.

On a loosely related note, Chicago just enacted a law allowing (adults) to carry concealed weapons. While I understand the desire of ppl to defend themselves, I wonder if it makes the bad guys "quick on the trigger" lest a crime victim is perceived 2B pulling out a gun; and the danger of stray bullets in shootouts.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
This trial should be covered as heavily as George Zimmerman's for killing Trayvon Martin, or shame on CNN, etc. BTW, I'm not informed enough about this case (like why the accused would mistake a small group of girls standing under a rain shelter in a park for rival gangbangers) to draw conclusions yet.

On a loosely related note, Chicago just enacted a law allowing (adults) to carry concealed weapons. While I understand the desire of ppl to defend themselves, I wonder if it makes the bad guys "quick on the trigger" lest a crime victim is perceived 2B pulling out a gun; and the danger of stray bullets in shootouts.
Clearly, gun control is not working in Chicago. Time to try something else. Citizens should protect themselves.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #8
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think more guns are the answer.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #9
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago's outright ban on handguns was overturned in 2010, and statistics show that most confiscated guns used in crimes were purchased in downstate Illinois or Indiana.

I'm sure arming 15-year-olds is absolutely the best way to reduce crime, because you know teens are completely levelheaded and rarely prone to overemotional reactions.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #10
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Chicago's outright ban on handguns was overturned in 2010, and statistics show that most confiscated guns used in crimes were purchased in downstate Illinois or Indiana.
Then, why don't Indiana or downstate Illinois have high gun violence rates?
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote