Sapere Aude - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #61
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sapere Aude

"if privilege has often been abused, it also has been the nurse of excellence. Here again we have to submit ourselves to the great law of inheritance."

"Authority and tradition are the chief, almost the only safe guides of the uninstructed.."

- George Eliot.

Sounds a lot like Edmund Burke.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #62
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

According to Nauert,

Johann Reuchlin 1455-1519 was the first Northem Europe's genuinely trilingual scholar.
Published 1st successful grammar of Hebrew, 1st German to acquire thorough command of Greek..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #63
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Rudyard Kipling after a visit to Chicago

"Having seen it, I urgently desire never to see it again. It is inhabited by savages."

Chicago was the hub of Isolationism leading to Pearl Harbor. Especially notable was the McCormick families, with archreactionary Robert McCormick's Chicago Tribune
and Joseph Patterson's New York Daily News, and Eleanor 'Cissy' Patterson's Washington Times-Herald.

Frank Knox's Chicago Daily News was arch-rival of the Tribune.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #64
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Why is Brendan Gleeson always the bad guy

He looked so much like a harmless guy in this movie

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 04:24 AM   #65
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

The cast of 'The Golden Compass' is incredible.

Nicole Kidman ...
Marisa Coulter
Daniel Craig ...
Lord Asriel
Dakota Blue Richards ...
Lyra 'Silvertongue' Belacqua
Ben Walker ...
Roger
Freddie Highmore ...
Pantalaimon (voice)
Ian McKellen ...
Iorek Byrnison (voice)
Eva Green ...
Serafina Pekkala
Jim Carter ...
John Faa
Tom Courtenay ...
Farder Coram
Ian McShane ...
Ragnar Sturlusson (voice)
Sam Elliott ...
Lee Scoresby
Christopher Lee ...
First High Councilor
Kristin Scott Thomas ...
Stelmaria (voice)
Edward de Souza ...
Second High Councilor
Kathy Bates ...
Hester (voice)
Derek Jacobi ... Magisterial Emissary

For a 'mere kid's movie', this is QUITE an overkill

I think I read somewhere that the concept of 'compass' has a rather deep meaning...can't remember the source now. Was it German literature?

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jun 22nd, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM   #66
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

finally watching 'Anna Karenina' and I have a bad feeling about this Too light, too fast, Keira is too young and thin for Anna..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM   #67
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Beevor's 'Berlin' was a pretty grim reading and was a bit underwhelmed by his writing. Now tackling Hasting's 'Retribution' but I'm getting sick of WWII now

Time to read other borrowed books like history of 17th England (always wondered about Oliver Cromwell), German novellas and novels, bio of Palmerston, History of Early Christianity (the title is 'Through the eye of a needle', so you can guess what is it about Church gets RICH ! 350-550AD), Why the Republican party got fucked up, (book by Kabaservice), etc..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #68
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Read Ancient Greek flashcard in a long while;

Atom came from Greek word

τεμνω ; cut

so, ατομος means uncut, indivisible; hence, the word atom.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #69
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Finished the movie'Game Change'(2012), it reminded me of Kazan's classic 'A Face in the Crowd'(1957); Palin is like Rhodes.

And Moore winning GG is entirely justified

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #70
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Simms 47

" Frederick the Great's fear of Russia was legendary, Austrian anxieties were no less acute"

So, is Nazism and Cold War about ideology, or just plain power politics?

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #71
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Jean-Jacques Rousseau observed that the German balance was also the balance of Europe.

French foreign minister Vergennes in 1779

'We owe our superiority and security to the forces of German disunity and to the vices of this constitution'

Thus, it might not be unreasonable to assume that the demise of the German Reich(small states) and its incorporation into Prussian Germany triggered the destruction of the balance..and future conflicts..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #72
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

In conjunction with Simms, started

'The historian does not deal in remedies'

A.J.P Taylor

Taylor 13

'The history of the Germans is a history of extremes.'

'no one can understand Germans who does not appreciate their determination to exterminate the East(Russia)'

'Constant surroundings shaped a German national character strong enough to withstand the increasing changes in social circumstance which occurred in Germany in modern times'

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jun 28th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #73
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post

Simms 47

" Frederick the Great's fear of Russia was legendary, Austrian anxieties were no less acute"

So, is Nazism and Cold War about ideology, or just plain power politics?
Read half so far (until 1815) and the message is simple;

the author's INCESSANT repetition of the phrase 'THE PRIMACY OF FOREIGN POLICY' proves it He's repeating at least once a page by now, it's getting on my nerves

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 01:00 AM   #74
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Finished Simms and continuing to read A.J.P Taylor.

Taylor just writes so well, it's chock full of memorable phrases

I HIGHLY recommend his masterpiece

I have the Folio edition. Forget about his maybe excessive sonderweg theory. Penetrating study and great reading too, he's such an excellent writer.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #75
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Susan Sarandon was delightful in 'Bernard and Doris'

- Woodrow Wilson