Republicans cheat: Vote on abortion after midnight - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #16
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Republicans cheat: Vote on abortion after midnight

20 weeks? abortions at 5 MONTHS? ridiculous.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #17
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
20 weeks? abortions at 5 MONTHS? ridiculous.
The main reason people are protesting is the surgical center requirement plus how many current centers who do it that will be forced to close down because they can't afford all the new requirements. Texas is a huge state and there will be areas of the state with no area licensed to do abortions for hundreds of miles. It's going to disproportionally effect low-income and rural women.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #18
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
The main reason people are protesting is the surgical center requirement plus how many current centers who do it that will be forced to close down because they can't afford all the new requirements. Texas is a huge state and there will be areas of the state with no area licensed to do abortions for hundreds of miles. It's going to disproportionally effect low-income and rural women.
these two issues shouldn't be in the same bill
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #19
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Well what else are they supposed to do to stop the Republicans from destroying women's health and right to choose by all but making abortion impossible to get for large portions of Texas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Most people that I've read on this are not cheering a filibuster; they're cheering having at least one more day where old white men don't set women's rights back closer to 1950. The fact that it was done by filibuster certainly made for good theatre, but was besides the point for those of us who actually give a shit about fighting misogyny.
How is it "OK" for women to be able to abort after 5 months of pregnancy? Might as well have the baby and then kill it. I am all for women rights, and I believe that they should have the right to choose, until a certain amount of times like 12 weeks. 20 weeks is just straight up pushing it.
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #20
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
these two issues shouldn't be in the same bill
I agree, but Southern Republicans have been trying to stuff every possible restriction into their bills for the last couple of years. They don't want a rational discussion about when is too late for an abortion, they want to make it as hard to get an abortion for the greatest number of women as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
How is it "OK" for women to be able to abort after 5 months of pregnancy? Might as well have the baby and then kill it. I am all for women rights, and I believe that they should have the right to choose, until a certain amount of times like 12 weeks. 20 weeks is just straight up pushing it.
I already stated above what the main problem people are having with this bill is. People are not getting so upset because of them trying to set the limit at 5 months, I assure you.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #21
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womp Up The Jamz View Post
Elect different senators?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
It's failed, but Perry will just call another special session.

This bill wasn't even supposed to come up during this special session, which was supposed to deal with budget problems and our fine, unconstitutional job of redistricting to make sure that illegal immigrants, descendents of recent immigrants and blacks are underrepresented.

The Republicans tried to sneak it by when nobody was looking and got caught.
I take it you ignoredmissed the bolded portion of miffedmax' post, above? And let's not also ignore congressional districts, where the real disenfranchisement is felt.

My Top 3 Faves!
JN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #22
country flag oleada

oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future oleada has a brilliant future

Quote:
How is it "OK" for women to be able to abort after 5 months of pregnancy? Might as well have the baby and then kill it. I am all for women rights, and I believe that they should ld have the right to choose, until a certain amount of times like 12 weeks. 20 weeks is just straight up pushing it.
The overwhelming majority of abortions occur in the first trimester of pregnancy. The ones that happen after that are usually due to a fetal abnormality (some of which are not compatible with life) or a health threat to the mother. Many of the anomaly scans aren't even available until later on in the pregnancy. When a woman gets to 20 weeks into her pregnancy, it is rarely a matter of not wanting the child. Many of these children are very much wanted and it's a gut wrenching choice for many

Additionally, one of the provisions in the Jill required that abortion clinics become ambulatory surgical centers, closing all but 5 abortion clinics in the state. In a state as large as Texas, this means women would have to travel 12 plus hours to get an abortion which affects poor women (usually of color) far more severely.

Last edited by oleada : Jun 27th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
oleada is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #23
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will patiently wait as you search for a post of mine that could have in anyway inspired this line of questioning, because you've quite evidently quoted the wrong one. No, seriously, take your time. I've got lunch.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #24
country flag Edward.

Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute

An admirable stand. I consider myself pro-life (even if the term itself is absurd) but the Republicans in Texas are monsters quite frankly. Hugely hypocritical monsters, at that, since it's usually the same people who vigorously oppose abortion who also, oh so happily, vote for wars at the drop of a hat and support the death penalty.

The senator deserves applause for standing up for her convictions.

Official Wiseguy of the Maria Mafia.
1305 ..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Edward. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #25
country flag Vulture_In_Chief

Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice Vulture_In_Chief is just really nice

Of course abortion should be banned. It's a life, and aborting it is akin to murder.
Vulture_In_Chief is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote