Road to Wimbledon - is the grass greener in 2013? - Page 40 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #586
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold
Re: Road to Wimbledon - is the grass greener in 2013?

Impressive stats too. 22/10 W/UE. 12/12 at the net. And 6/6 on break points thanks mainly the olga's flakey serve).
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #587
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
Sam is now sitting at No 10 on the rankings after that win.
Sloane and carla need to reach the semis to overtake her. Kirsten the final. Vinci at least 4th Round. Bartoli the 1/4s.
Bartoli, Vinci and Sloane all pretty much have cakewalks to get that far. Hopefully they will all screw up like so many others
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #588
country flag Sinclair
All about the guns, baby.

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Pretty good match, but I thought she played a little better against Schmied. Puchkova was pretty awful, despite a few cracking returns. Sam will need to lift her game a bit to get past Sabine, but I think she can do that.
Me too. There's no doubt that she got plenty of help from Puchkova today, but the thing I loved about this match was that it was clear that Sam wanted to put it away - quickly and without over thinking. From the bits that I saw, she seemed to get over her errors quickly and not let it affect the next point. I think it was a total of 10 UE's from Sam, 6/6 break points won, and 85% second serve points won. This could indicate that she focused on taking advantage of opportunities and staying in the present. Regardless of the quality of Puchkova's game, Sam needed a win like this. Tidy and efficient.

So, Sabine next? Haven't followed any Sabs results, so I'm not sure what she will use to challenge Sam. I'm just hoping for more solid serving and confidence from Sammy.
Sinclair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #589

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Me too. There's no doubt that she got plenty of help from Puchkova today, but the thing I loved about this match was that it was clear that Sam wanted to put it away - quickly and without over thinking. From the bits that I saw, she seemed to get over her errors quickly and not let it affect the next point. I think it was a total of 10 UE's from Sam, 6/6 break points won, and 85% second serve points won. This could indicate that she focused on taking advantage of opportunities and staying in the present. Regardless of the quality of Puchkova's game, Sam needed a win like this. Tidy and efficient.

So, Sabine next? Haven't followed any Sabs results, so I'm not sure what she will use to challenge Sam. I'm just hoping for more solid serving and confidence from Sammy.
Could depend a lot on the court, there seems to be quite some difference between them atm. Tuesday's court seemed greener, but oddly also slower and bouncier. That'd suit Sam just fine against Sabine. This court would probably suit Sabine more, beceause she can just hit big serves all day and not get into any rallies. But even on this court I think Sam can take her out if she stays aggressive and keeps her error count down. That use to be a contradiction in terms for Sam, but so far on the grass she's managed it really well.

Btw, the sleazy cynics seem to have come out of the woodwork on the results thread this time. In Eastbourne and R1 Wimbledon the comments were mainly positive and supportive, but now there seem to be a lot more complacent cynics who have already made their minds up she can't play on grass, without even bothering to watch the match.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #590
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

There was one sleazy comment in particular that seems to have been deleted by one of the lovely mods
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
There was one sleazy comment in particular that seems to have been deleted by one of the lovely mods
I know, I reported it
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #592
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I know, I reported it
I missed it but probably for the best as I would have reacted.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #593

Quote:
I missed it but probably for the best as I would have reacted.
I don't report much, generally only racist and homophobic posts, and posts with this one's topic, which I'm sure I can leave to your imagination to guess what that was
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #594
country flag Ado.

Quote:
I don't report much, generally only racist and homophobic posts, and posts with this one's topic, which I'm sure I can leave to your imagination to guess what that was
Ahh I get it. Best I didnt read it then. I have become rather protective of Sam lately as I think people are a little unfair and ill informed on their comments and judgement of her.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #595

Quote:
Sam is now sitting at No 10 on the rankings after that win.Sloane and carla need to reach the semis to overtake her. Kirsten the final. Vinci at least 4th Round. Bartoli the 1/4s.
Unfortunately this is not true. There was a mistake on the thread about this, due to a mistake on the Boiled Egg's WTA rankings updates thread. Sam still needs to beat Sabine to have any chance of leaving Wimbledon in the top 10.

Cepelova pushed Vinci to 9-7 in the decider but couldn't finish the job, which means that Vinci is still breathing down Sam's neck.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #596
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Was there. Have some photos from the last two days I'll eventually upload. Anyway, I really think Sam might be striking it as well as she has all season but then again we had signs of this in France before the Jankovic loss. Forehand was great and she was using the backhand slice very well. The grass is almost getting to a pace that suits Sam, watching her today, I can see no reason why she can't be good on grass. Lisicki will be a different story. Wonder what court shell be on, hoping to see it

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #597
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And looking on the bright side: Sam has a golden chance now to outperform Federer, Nadal, Sharapova and Azarenka at Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_fan
Was there. Have some photos from the last two days I'll eventually upload. Anyway, I really think Sam might be striking it as well as she has all season but then again we had signs of this in France before the Jankovic loss. Forehand was great and she was using the backhand slice very well. The grass is almost getting to a pace that suits Sam, watching her today, I can see no reason why she can't be good on grass. Lisicki will be a different story. Wonder what court shell be on, hoping to see it
Must've been a great match to see - hope you and sunsets strike it lucky for her next match.

Not sure about the court. In my mind Sam vs. Sabine could be the most interesting third round match, but given neither are viewed as marquee players by the tour organisers, I doubt this will be recognised with a spot on centre court. I would guess court 1 or court 2, but who knows?
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #598

^^Really happy for you that you got to see the match aussie fan. I take your point about RG and Jankovic, but there is a weight of expectation on her at RG that she doesn't have at Wimbledon (which is why I'm really starting to think she will never win RG), and most people expect her to lose against Sabine, so I'm inclined to think she'll be fine. But you never know of course with Sam. And even if she does play well, it will be a tough match.

Yeah, I agree with you Silver Persian that they're unlikely to put the match on CC. Like almost everybody else, they probably expect Sabine to win, and they'll want to put Serena-Sabine on CC for sure, so I agree that 1 or 2 are the most likely options.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #599
country flag Ruzanam

Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light

Olga said yesterday in the after match interview she was overwhelmed by Sam's authority and her confidence on court Nice to hear!

What a pity that when Sam finally starting to feel her game on grass she has to play Sabine. They know each other of course but besides serving well it will be important for Sam to return well. She can't gift too many points on Sabine's serve cause Lisicki will start playing freely on Sam's serve. I mean if Sam turns into Aga (with better serve and huge forehand)for one match she'll be fine
Ruzanam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #600

One of the things Sam has done well so far on grass this is defending. Of course she's always vulnerable to players than can get the ball really close to or on the baseline, especially on grass, which is why she'll have to serve really well to have a chance. But in general she's been getting a lot of balls back into play, also on the ROS. Which I agree is going to be key to the match. Sabine has a dynamite first serve, but I don't think her second serve is all that potent, so it's important for Sam to put as much pressure on it as possible, while getting as many first serves back in play as well. If she can make Sabs play a lot of balls I think she'll have the edge.

Really nice to hear that Olga was overwhelmed by Sam. That's exactly the kind of court presence she should always have, but so rarely does