1986 - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #256
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

Evert Overwhelms Jordan
THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
Monday, March 3, 1986
Tom FitzGerald

All Kathy Jordan had to do to beat Chris Evert Lloyd yesterday was find a way to stop Evert's radar crossing shot and her equally accurate lob, otherwise known as death by powder puff.

Jordan, the giant killer of the Virginia Slims tournament, couldn't find a way to stop a giant of tennis. Evert's 6-2, 6-4 victory was her 1100th career match victory and earned her $33,000.

Evert admitted she was anticipating a championship match against top-seeded Martina
Navratilova . But for the sixth straight year in this tournament, the top seed didn't win it. Besides shocking the world's top-ranked player in a grueling semifinal that went into the wee hours of Saturday night, Jordan had beaten Hana Mandlikova, the third-ranked player in the world.

Since Mandlikova joined the top echelon of players by winning the French Open in 1981, nobody had beaten her and Navratilova in the same tournament until Jordan's double Czech-mate.

Mandlikova salvaged some esteem by teaming with Wendy Turnbull to win the doubles title by beating Bonnie Gadusek and Helena Sukova, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1.

Jordan, probably a little tired from Saturday night's match, had trouble returning to earth yesterday, despite a sympathetic crowd of 11,478, a tournament record, at the Coliseum Arena.

Even on her bad days, Evert is a master of concealment. Yesterday she tipped nothing off, and even when Jordan guessed right on which way Evert was hitting, it wasn't enough.

Jordan, a former Stanford star, broke Evert's serve only once, on the fourth game of the second set. Jordan, the sixth seed, needed a consistently excellent serve to stand a chance. Instead, Evert broke her serve four times. Evert also won 71 percent of her second-serve points, against 48 percent for Jordan.

"I thought she'd be a little tired (from the Saturday night semifinal)," Evert said. "But she didn't seem to be. She chased everything down."

Jordan, 26, hasn't won a tournament in four years, but she had beaten Evert three times, out of 13 tries. In last week's Lipton tournament, Evert beat her, 7-5, 6-2. Jordan played much better yesterday, but so did Evert.

"She was hitting those cross-court shots better," Jordan said. "And I was a little slow getting to them."

Beating Evert takes a different kind of game from beating Navratilova , Jordan said: "Martina's passing shots aren't as good as Chris.' She's not as patient as Chris."

A lama in Tibet might be more patient than Evert, but it's doubtful anybody else is. Yesterday she also avoided the slow start that sometimes bothers her.

Jordan wasn't serving well enough in the first set to rush the net as effectively as she wanted. She rushed more aggressively in the second set, knowing she couldn't win a baseline duel. All she got for her aggressiveness, though, was a stream of passing shots and lobs over her head.

"When I see her three feet from the net, she's vulnerable to the lob," Evert said.

Getting into the rarefied air of the finals might have distorted Jordan's perceptions somewhat. "There wasn't that much difference between Chris and me today," she said.

But a few minutes later, Jordan admitted: "If she's hitting the ball that well, there's nothing I can do about it."

The seventh game of the second set was the one that probably eliminated the possibility of a third set. At 30-all, Evert caught Jordan in mid-court no-man's land with a shot at her ankles, then wrapped up the game with a fierce backhand, breaking Jordan's serve and taking a 4-3 lead.

Each held serve, and it soon came down to match point with Jordan desperately retreating for an Evert lob. She saved it but banged her next backhand into the net. Evert had her third championship in this event; she has played here eight times and failed to reach the finals only once.

"I hit a few too many short balls to let her come into the net," Evert said. "It put the pressure on me to make the passing shots."

That's like putting pressure on a bee to sting. After collecting her check and adding to her untold millions, she gave the crowd a pat on the back for its grace and tennis knowledge. "You know when to clap," she said.

Oh, Chris, you probably tell that to all the crowds.

She told reporters that after 145 tournament titles, she's still excited by victory. "If it was very easy, it would be boring," she said. "Today it wasn't as easy as the score indicated. The day of the easy match is over."

Evert's three titles in eight tries here probably represents her worst batting average in any
tournament, according to the event's promoter, Jerry Diamond. "She's playing the best I've ever seen her play," he said. "Her speed has picked up. Her lateral foot speed used to be her biggest weakness, but she seems a half-step faster now."

At 31 she's getting faster? Just wait till she's 40.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #257

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Nightmare End To a Dream
Monday, March 3, 1986
Lowell Cohn

KATHY JORDAN lost to Chris Evert Lloyd in the Virginia Slims final before even showing up at the Oakland Coliseum Arena yesterday. She had beaten Martina Navratilova in the semifinals Saturday night, and later she found she could not fall asleep.

It must have been an incredible high to beat the best women's player who ever lived, and on top of that, to know that next afternoon, she would be facing the second best. Jordan's heart must have been beating a hundred miles an hour as she tossed in bed. Who can blame her if she allowed herself to luxuriate in the fantasy of defeating Hana Mandlikova, Navratilova and Evert in the same tournament? Perhaps she lay there an hour reliving match point. Then she put in another hour rehearsing wh at she was going to say after beating Chris. "Tough luck, kid, but you're still tops in my book."

As it grew later and later, she must have stared at the clock in dismay. About daybreak, panic may have set in. "I won't say when I got to sleep," Jordan said after losing in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. "I don't even know. Maybe I was asleep. Maybe I wasn't."

To give Jordan the benefit of the doubt, let's say she was a step slow. She might have been as drowsy as someone who pulled an all-nighter studying for a calculus final. But the way Evert played yesterday, Jordan could have slept like a baby and it still would have been the end of the fairytale.

Everything Jordan tried came back in her face. If she hit a powerful serve, Chris returned it on a line to the deep part of the court as if she were shooting the ball out of a bazooka. If Jordan sliced the ball to Chris' backhand, Evert simply lined it right back to Jordan's backhand. Soon, Jordan realized there was no way past Chris. Playing Evert was like playing tennis with a mirror.

THERE IS something brilliantly monotonous about Evert's game. She has taught herself to hit every shot the same way every time - no surprises, no adventure. This can be extremely dispiriting for an opponent. Become impatient against Evert and she will murder you. Try a waiting game, and you are playing into her hands. In a sense, Evert gives you
the chance to beat yourself, to succumb to your own weakness.

Imagine you have problems with your backhand, as was the case with Jordan. The backhand is defensive, a weak slice whose only purpose is to prolong the point until you can work things around to your forehand. Evert will go after that backhand. She will seek it out, drive you farther and farther back until you have given away so much territory
that there simply is too much court to defend. And then she will drop a shot softly over the net, and you'll stare at it like a dope.

Other times, she will give you the false confidence that you can rush the net. Chris hardly looks overpowering. But the second you commit yourself to the indefensible territory in the middle of the court, she is on the ball like a predator, hitting it past your flanks or lobbing it over your head. You watch in amazement, your legs planted to the floor.

Jordan did a lot of watching.

FINALLY, EVERT will test your heart. After she's neutralized every one of your weapons, she will see if you have the nerve to carry on. By the end of the match, Jordan was reduced to lecturing herself, then sullenly throwing down her racquet as if it were a spy for Chris.

It would have been dramatic to see Navratilova against Evert in the final. Martina's power is the only possible answer to Evert's finesse. When those two play it is a confrontation between two entirely different philosophies, both valid.

Failing that, we had an exhibition of Evert at the top of her maddening game, and that should be enough for anyone.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #258

EVERT KEEPS ROLLING MARTINA CAN WAIT, SLIMS CHAMP SAYS
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, March 3, 1986
Jim Sarni, Staff Writer

When Chris Evert Lloyd won her 1,000th match in Melbourne in 1984, they gave her a cake with 1,000 candles and almost torched Australia.

Sunday, Evert won her 1,100th match, effortlessly skipping her latest milestone across San Francisco Bay with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Kathy Jordan in the Virginia Slims of California final. But no one bothered with a sweet, fiery celebration.

Weight Watchers, after all, is the presenting sponsor of the tournament.

But then, the party was also missing one of the featured attractions.

All week, people had been talking about Evert playing Martina Navratilova for the championship.

"You could feel the pressure from the first round," Evert said. "Martina and me. Whenever we`re both entered in the same tournament, 95 percent of the time we`re going to play in the final. When Kathy beat Martina, that took some of the pressure off me."

Jordan, who had earlier knocked off defending champion Hana Mandlikova, upset Navratilova 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (9-7), after saving one match point in the tiebreaker, in Saturday night`s semifinals, ending Navratilova `s 34-match winning streak and delaying the first Evert-Navratilova confrontation of the new season.

Evert and Navratilova , the biggest show in tennis with 67 acts, have played only once in the last eight months, the Australian Open final won by Navratilova in three sets.

They were both scheduled to play the Virginia Slims of Florida, but Navratilova withdrew with the flu. Navratilova did not enter the Lipton International Players Championships. Evert defeated Steffi Graf in both finals.

"When I heard that Martina lost, I honestly didn`t feel any emotion," said Evert, who did not watch Navratilova`s match.

"I was pretty surprised she lost but Kathy has the kind of serve-and-volley game that can press Martina and Martina`s lack of match play must have hurt her.

"I had been anticipating playing Martina and then I had to concentrate on playing Kathy. I didn`t want to have a letdown. Kathy played with a lot of energy. It was a tougher match than the one at Lipton (fourth round, 7-5, 6-2). I had to play well to beat her."

Evert, who won her 145th title, said she can wait for Navratilova. The wait may be brief. They are both entered in Dallas in two weeks, then again in the Virginia Slims Championships in New York the following week.

"We`re going to be playing so many times," Evert said. "I figure about eight times this year. That`s enough."

For now, Evert can glow in her own performance. Off to one of her best starts ever, she has won her first three tournaments of the year -- 16 matches, without losing a set.

The only undefeated player in women`s tennis, Evert leads the Virginia Slims points standings by 160 points. If she can maintain that advantage through Dallas and New York, she will earn the International Tennis Federation - endorsed No. 1 ranking for the 1985-86 season and claim the $250,000 bonus that goes along with it.

Evert insists that Navratilova was No. 1 for 1985, but she feels justified in taking the Slims prize.

"Martina was No. 1 from January to December, but March-to-March is another competition," Evert said.

Evert won the Virginia Slims of California for the third time and the first time since 1976 when she defeated Evonne Goolagong. The No. 1 seed has not won here since 1978, but Evert said there is no jinx.

"When I lost to Hana last year and to Andrea Jaeger in the past, they played great tennis," she said. "Martina didn`t lose this year because of a jinx."

"I played lousy," said Navratilova, who mysteriously whiffed on a forehand at 7-all in the
tiebreaker, giving Jordan her second match point.

"I kept wondering when things would go my way but they didn`t."

Navratilova will try to mend her game at this week`s U.S. Indoors. Evert will rest and prepare for Dallas, an event Navratilova has won six times in six tries.

The tennis world, meanwhile, will hope for a Texas shootout.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #259

Navratilova May Face Charges
Tuesday, March 4, 1986
Birney Jarvis

Tennis superstar Martina Navratilova could face criminal charges for having a gun in some carry-on luggage Sunday at San Francisco International Airport, authorities said yesterday.

The No. 1-ranked tennis champion was questioned briefly by airport police and released without charges, pending further investigation. Her .38-caliber Smith and Wesson snub-nosed revolver was confiscated.

San Mateo County authorities are routinely investigating the incident, "but we have not made a determination as to whether we will file charges," Deputy District Attorney Karen Marzotto said yesterday.

Navratilova could be charged with a misdemeanor. If convicted of a misdemeanor, she could face a $500 fine and six months in the county jail, Marzotto said. On the other hand, the 29-year-old athlete can petition the court for the return of her weapon if no charges are filed.

Navratilova, traveling with a friend, was about to board a 3 p.m. flight Sunday at San Francisco International Airport when an X-ray machine detected a gun in her friend's luggage, airport officials said.

Navratilova has a permit to carry a gun in Texas, but not in California. She said a purse containing her pistol was mistakenly packed in the carry-on luggage.

Airport spokesman Ron Wilson said it is not unusual for people to do this.

"We confiscate many guns . . . and sometimes people are arrested," Wilson said. In December alone, Wilson said, eight pistols were seized from people boarding flights out of San Francisco.

Although considered in tennis circles as the best woman player who ever has lived, Navratilova lost her match with Kathy Jordan in the semifinals of Oakland's Virginia Slims of California tennis tournament Saturday night.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #260

Pistol packin' Martina nabbed
Evening Tribune
Monday, March 3, 1986
Bill Weurding

A PISTOL belonging to tennis star Martina Navratilova was confiscated yesterday at San Francisco International Airport when the weapon was spotted while her carry-on luggage went through a metal detection device.

"She was not arrested and no citations were issued," said Lamont Foster, the airport duty manager. "However, the gun, which I think was a small-caliber weapon, was taken away."

Navratilova told airport officials she had a permit for the gun in Texas, but not in California, Foster said.

"It was found when it went routinely through the metal scanner," said Foster, who added the tennis player can petition San Mateo County courts for the return of the gun.

Navratilova told airport security officials the gun was accidentally placed in the carry-on luggage by someone helping her pack.

Navratilova was in the Bay Area for the Virginia Slims of California tennis tournament in Oakland in which she was the top seed. She was handed her first defeat of the season in the semifinals Saturday night by Kathy Jordan. Chris Evert Lloyd downed Jordan in the finals yesterday.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #261

NAMES & FACES - Martina's gun confiscated in airport luggage search
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Monday, March 3, 1986
From Wire Reports

A pistol owned by tennis star Martina Navratilova was confiscated at San Francisco International Airport when the weapon was spotted while her carry-on luggage went through a metal detector, officials said. Navratilova surrendered the weapon and was allowed to board the plane.

"She was not arrested and no citations were issued," said Lamont Foster, the airport duty manager. "However, the gun, which I think was a small caliber weapon, was taken away."

Ms. Navratilova told airport officials she had a permit for the gun in Texas, but not in California, Foster said, adding that the tennis star can petition San Mateo County courts for the return of the weapon.

Ms. Navratilova told airport security officials the gun was accidentally placed in the carry-on luggage by someone helping her to pack. Navratilova said she didn't know the silver-plated .38-caliber Smith and Wesson special had not been put in her checked baggage.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #262

California had some pretty restrictive gun laws even in 1986, so she's lucky this didn't turn out worse than it did. And if such a thing would have happened in 2002, it might have been "Martina Goes to Guantanamo." Also, what kind of neighborhood did she live in, with beheadings across the street? Sounds more like Miami than Fort Worth...

IT`S PISTOL PACKIN` MARTINA
The Record
New Jersey
Wednesday, March 5, 1986
Vinny DiTrani

It was not surprising that Martina Navratilova, being a good ol Texan, turned to a line from country and Western music to sum up one of the bleakest periods of her 30 years on this planet. "If today was a fish, I'd throw it back in," the world's top women tennis player said last night, referring to her recent 24-hour period of defeat and detainment.

It started Saturday night, when Navratilova suffered a rare loss, her first this year, to Kathy Jordan in the semifinal round of the Virginia Slims of California tournament in Oakland, Calif. The next morning she was stopped when she tried to board a plane at San Francisco International Airport after an unloaded Smith & Wesson .38-caliber single-action pistol was detected in her carry-on luggage.

"I've had the gun for a year. I bought it for protection," Navratilova said last night after defeating Grace Kim of Franklin Lakes, 6-2, 6-1, in the first round of the $150,000 ComputerLand U.S. Women's Indoor Tennis Championships at the Princeton Indoor Tennis Center. "Due to a series of unfortunate circumstances and happenings, which I don't want to go in to, the gun wound up in my purse instead of my suitcase."

The San Mateo County district attorney's office is deciding whether to file a concealed-weapon charge against Navratilova. The tennis star said a registration but no permit is needed to carry a weapon in Texas, but she was uncertain about the laws in other states.

"It was suggested to me that I buy a gun after a series of murders and rapes took place around my neighborhood in Fort Worth a little more than a year ago," she said. "In fact, one of the murders took place across the street from my house. A woman was beheaded. So I purchased the gun for protection.

"I know how to use it. I've taken target practice with it and everything. But I've never had to actually use it. I've been taking it with me when I travel, just to keep in the hotel room. But I've always packed it in my suitcase instead of keeping it in my purse. "

This time, however, she put the gun into her purse, and her purse into her carry-on bag. That set off the metal detectors in the airport.

"I can't believe that it happened. I'm really embarrassed by the whole thing," said the Czechoslovakian-born Navratilova. "But as bad as I feel about the whole thing, I think I would have been mortified if they hadn't found it in my purse. Maybe that's the good that will come out of this whole thing. "

Navratilova said that recent events made it a little more difficult for her to concentrate on her match last night with Kim. Some questionable calls and an extra-loud walkie-talkie, which she asked a security officer to "please turn down," also distracted her. So she was somewhat surprised that she was able to play as steadily as she did.

It was only a few nights ago in Oakland that she wanted to "bottle" her performance in a 6-2, 6-0 quarterfinal thrashing of Zina Garrison. "I don't know how much better I could have played," she said. The next evening, however, she was beaten by Jordan.

"I played tonight about the same way I played the first round in Oakland," said Navratilova, who is scheduled to play Czech Andrea Holikova in a second-round match tonight as the tournament shifts to the Rutgers Athletic Center in Piscataway. "So I don't know what to expect for the rest of this tournament. "

In other action yesterday, second-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia kept on track for an appearance in the final Saturday at Rutgers (12 noon, Channel 2) by defeating Laura Gildemeister of Peru in straight sets. Third-seeded Pam Shriver and fourth-seeded Helena Sukova also won first-round matches, but fifth-seeded Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden was upset by unseeded Dianne Balestrat of Australia, 7-5, 6-4.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #263

Between the Lines - Martina wants to forget gun-in-luggage incident
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
Wednesday, March 5, 1986
From Wire Reports

Martina Navratilova, who had an unloaded handgun confiscated from her luggage at San Francisco International Airport on Sunday, says she had been advised to carry the gun because of a series of murders and a rape in her neighborhood.

The Czechoslovakian-born tennis star, who now resides in Fort Worth, Texas, said Tuesday she didn't intend to carry the gun on the airplane and that the incident was an unfortunate mistake that she would "like to forget."

"I can't believe that it has caused such a stir," she said at West Windsor, N.J., after winning a first-round match in the U.S. Women's Indoor Tennis Championships.

Navratilova said she had been carrying a pistol for protection for more than a year.

Karen Marzotto, a deputy district attorney for San Mateo County, said she will decide within a few days whether to charge Navratilova. Carrying a concealed weapon is a crime in California and carries a maximum penalty upon conviction of six months in jail and a $500 fine.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #264
country flag Pat Bateman

Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
California had some pretty restrictive gun laws even in 1986, so she's lucky this didn't turn out worse than it did. And if such a thing would have happened in 2002, it might have been "Martina Goes to Guantanamo." Also, what kind of neighborhood did she live in, with beheadings across the street? Sounds more like Miami than Fort Worth...

IT`S PISTOL PACKIN` MARTINA
The Record
New Jersey
Wednesday, March 5, 1986
Vinny DiTrani

It was not surprising that Martina Navratilova, being a good ol Texan, turned to a line from country and Western music to sum up one of the bleakest periods of her 30 years on this planet. "If today was a fish, I'd throw it back in," the world's top women tennis player said last night, referring to her recent 24-hour period of defeat and detainment.

It started Saturday night, when Navratilova suffered a rare loss, her first this year, to Kathy Jordan in the semifinal round of the Virginia Slims of California tournament in Oakland, Calif. The next morning she was stopped when she tried to board a plane at San Francisco International Airport after an unloaded Smith & Wesson .38-caliber single-action pistol was detected in her carry-on luggage.

"I've had the gun for a year. I bought it for protection," Navratilova said last night after defeating Grace Kim of Franklin Lakes, 6-2, 6-1, in the first round of the $150,000 ComputerLand U.S. Women's Indoor Tennis Championships at the Princeton Indoor Tennis Center. "Due to a series of unfortunate circumstances and happenings, which I don't want to go in to, the gun wound up in my purse instead of my suitcase."

The San Mateo County district attorney's office is deciding whether to file a concealed-weapon charge against Navratilova. The tennis star said a registration but no permit is needed to carry a weapon in Texas, but she was uncertain about the laws in other states.

"It was suggested to me that I buy a gun after a series of murders and rapes took place around my neighborhood in Fort Worth a little more than a year ago," she said. "In fact, one of the murders took place across the street from my house. A woman was beheaded. So I purchased the gun for protection.

"I know how to use it. I've taken target practice with it and everything. But I've never had to actually use it. I've been taking it with me when I travel, just to keep in the hotel room. But I've always packed it in my suitcase instead of keeping it in my purse. "

This time, however, she put the gun into her purse, and her purse into her carry-on bag. That set off the metal detectors in the airport.

"I can't believe that it happened. I'm really embarrassed by the whole thing," said the Czechoslovakian-born Navratilova. "But as bad as I feel about the whole thing, I think I would have been mortified if they hadn't found it in my purse. Maybe that's the good that will come out of this whole thing. "

Navratilova said that recent events made it a little more difficult for her to concentrate on her match last night with Kim. Some questionable calls and an extra-loud walkie-talkie, which she asked a security officer to "please turn down," also distracted her. So she was somewhat surprised that she was able to play as steadily as she did.

It was only a few nights ago in Oakland that she wanted to "bottle" her performance in a 6-2, 6-0 quarterfinal thrashing of Zina Garrison. "I don't know how much better I could have played," she said. The next evening, however, she was beaten by Jordan.

"I played tonight about the same way I played the first round in Oakland," said Navratilova, who is scheduled to play Czech Andrea Holikova in a second-round match tonight as the tournament shifts to the Rutgers Athletic Center in Piscataway. "So I don't know what to expect for the rest of this tournament. "

In other action yesterday, second-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia kept on track for an appearance in the final Saturday at Rutgers (12 noon, Channel 2) by defeating Laura Gildemeister of Peru in straight sets. Third-seeded Pam Shriver and fourth-seeded Helena Sukova also won first-round matches, but fifth-seeded Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden was upset by unseeded Dianne Balestrat of Australia, 7-5, 6-4.
Martina was fortunate not to be charged
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #265
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Martina was fortunate not to be charged
Imagine if this had happened in the internet era-yikes! Things like this or Chris Evert "dating" rocker Adam Faith while still married.

the GM on a forum like this would light up like a Christmas tree

Tennis players get death threats all the time, so I can sort of understand Martina packin. She also lived in Dallas for so long-that may have rubbed off as well.

Have to admire Kathy Jordan's fight. KJ lacked some tools technically (that frying pan grip on the backhand limited her according to Billie Jean)-but golly did she have some fight.

Have to love this classic line: " A lama in Tibet might be more patient than Evert, but it's doubtful anybody else is."

Last edited by Rollo : Jun 19th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #266

1986 was a transitional year in so many ways, not least of which was how tennis, particularly women's tennis, was handled in the media. The biggest moment (for me) happens at the US Open: as of September 5, 1986, they are still referred to as "Miss Navratilova" and "Miss Graf" in the New York Times; on September 7, 1986, they are "Ms. Navratilova" and "Ms. Graf." That such a shift happened not between tournaments or between years, but during a tournament is amazing.

I also think the tennis world had started to be a little more self-conscious of its image. There's an occurence at Mahwah 1986 involving a 17-year-old and champagne that, even though it was done as a playful manner, probably wouldn't have happened the same way in 1987. (To say nothing about nowadays. It's likely people would have went to jail.) It was like they began to realize, "If this could land me in a court of law, maybe I shouldn't do it, or at least not do it in public, or at leastest not talk about it in public."

And yes, on at least a couple of occasions, usually while watching Graf, Seles, and Capriati trying to fend off the media piranhas, Evert remarked that she was glad she started out before the Age of Excess. The tennis "rat pack" of the late Seventies and early Eighties could have never done the stuff they did and got off as lightly.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM   #267

RARELY A FAVORITE, BUT ALWAYS A FIGHTER
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Thursday, March 6, 1986
Jay Searcy

Carina Karlsson is being introduced. She is a fresh-faced, blue-eyed blonde from Sweden. She is wearing a smile, her hair is in braids and she looks as if she just stepped out of Tennis magazine. She nods a gentle greeting to the crowd.

Now comes Kathy Jordan. She is a stern-faced, fiery-eyed brunette from King of Prussia. She is wearing a frown and a sweat-stained knee brace, and she's weighed down like a pack mule. She is lugging an armload of rackets and a large travel bag. She looks as if she just crawled out of a foxhole. She ignores the crowd.

If this were a popularity contest, or a fashion show, or a showcase for classic tennis strokes, Jordan would lose, love and love. But it is not. It is the second round of the U.S. Women's Indoor Tennis Championships in Princeton, and Jordan wins the match in straight sets, grunting, straining, sweating, glowering, scratching, clawing and shouting. You half expect to see a combat knife between her teeth every time she charges the net. There is nothing pretty about the way Kathy Jordan plays tennis.

Pretty, Jordan knows, doesn't count on the pro circuit, or else she wouldn't be ranked No. 18 in the world; she wouldn't be one of only 14 women to have won a million dollars on the tour; she wouldn't be one of only a handful ever to beat both Chris Evert Lloyd (three times) and Martina Navratilova (once), and she wouldn't own a Wimbledon doubles championship trophy.

But there is something sad about this 26-year-old Stanford graduate, something missing that seemingly keeps her from being whole.

She has never won a major singles title as a pro, never been on the cover of Sports Illustrated or on a box of Wheaties. She has never appeared on the Tonight Show, never sold any shampoo on TV. She is sometimes recognized off the tennis court and sometimes not. She is like Brand X of the Women's Tennis Association.

Although she was coming off one of her biggest victories ever - a semifinal upset of Navratilova in Oakland, Calif., on Saturday - and although she was playing within an hour's drive of her King of Prussia home and opposing a little-known foreigner, she was not the crowd favorite at Princeton.

The match attracted only about 200 fans on a Tuesday afternoon, and most of them, save her mom and dad, were clearly rooting for Karlsson. They moaned when Karlsson narrowly missed; they applauded lightly, or not at all, when Jordan hit screaming winners.

If Jordan noticed, it never showed. Perhaps that is why she doesn't look into the crowd, or play to it, or mention it.

"I have a fear when I'm on the court," she says after her match. "It's as though - I know you should enjoy yourself and it isn't that I don't - but I guess I just want to win every point and get off before the other person starts playing very well or something. I'm not confident that I can just screw around and then say, 'Oh, well, I'll just turn it on here and there.' I'll smile and relax later."

There was an ice pack on her shoulder and another on a knee. There was a bit of a stoop in her back and her face showed fatigue.

"I'm a fighter, a scrambler. I scrounge for every ball. I'm aggressive and athletic. I'm not the graceful type. I've never been taught that way. I wasn't taught very much anyway. I didn't take a lot of lessons until my game was already formed. I think I have a lot of talent. It's just not as graceful, like a Hana (Mandlikova) or an Ivan (Lendl). You don't see them scrounging much. Or it doesn't look like they are if they are. I think that's what somebody should be doing out there. It's great if you can win points and be beautiful, but you can't always do that.

"It took me a long time to adjust to the tour. Coming from college, surrounded by close friends, people who are supporting you and your team. Suddenly you're all by yourself and nobody's really friendly to you. But you eventually develop a few friends.

"But look at the good side. You make a lot of money for what you do. Everything you do is on your own merit. You don't have a boss being subjective and saying, 'I don't like this or the job you did.' You either win or lose because of how you play. You don't have anybody telling you what to do. Because if somebody doesn't like the way you are, you can still do well. You can be yourself."

What does she suppose other players think of her?

"I don't know. Probably that I don't have the best temper in the world and that I speak my mind. I don't know that I'm friendly, but I'm not unfriendly. I joke around. I say hello. I don't have any problems getting along with other people. I used to. But now I'm sort of mellowed out. It was always hard for me to, when something happened on the court, to just dismiss it off the court. I had to realize that on the court and off the court you're different people."

Is there anything she would like to tell us about her that we may not know?

"That I'm kind of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. I'm real intense when I'm on the court, but I like to have fun when I'm off the court."

Since she arrived on the tour full time in 1979, she has been a singles finalist in nine tour events and the runner-up each time. It is, at once, encouraging and depressing. Maybe that's the reason for the worried look. She knows she can beat Chris Evert Lloyd, for she has. She knows she can beat Navratilova, for she has.

She has conquered just about every major obstacle on the tour except, perhaps, herself. And perhaps that is the drive within her. Perhaps she knows there's more inside her than she has found, or perhaps she fears that she has found all there is. She makes no attempt to explain what she thinks about that.

"I think we'll look and see what happens this year," she said. "I think we should wait and look at my career over the long haul."

So far this year, she has completed five tournaments, reached one final (she lost to Lloyd in Sunday's Virginia Slims of California title match in Oakland) and she has won $40,800. Over the long haul, she has won $1.16 million and every Grand Slam doubles event at least once. She has played a total of 373 singles matches and has won 242 of them, a winning percentage of .649. She has been ranked as high as No. 11 and never below 28.

The highlight of this young season was beating Navratilova for the first time. But she didn't get to enjoy it. After the match, she ate, went to bed, and in a few hours, met Evert Lloyd. It's the nature of the tour. It's always, "What have you done today?"

On this day she beat Carina Karlsson, and few seemed to care.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #268

The venue-shifting tournament.

ORIOLES' LACY AGREES TO ACCEPT UEBERROTH'S CONDITIONS
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Monday, March 3, 1986
From Inquirer Wire Services

[...]

Terry Phelps of Larchmont, N.Y., defeated Molly Van Nostrand of Bridgewater, N.Y., 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4), in a first-round match in the $150,000 U.S. Women's Indoor Tennis Championships. In other first-round matches, Raffaella Reggi of Italy scored a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Pam Casale, and Andrea Holikova of Czechoslovakia downed Switzerland's Christianne Jolissant, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.

The top-seeded players in the field of 33 at the Princeton (N.J.) Tennis Club are Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova and U.S. Open champion Hana Mandlikova. After Wednesday's morning matches, the tournament shifts to Rutgers University in Piscataway, N.J., for night matches Wednesday. Morning and night matches will continue there Thursday and Friday, and the tournament will conclude Saturday afternoon.

Fifth-seeded Joakim Nystrom overwhelmed Yannick Noah, 6-1, 6-3, 6-2, to win a $405,000 tournament in La Quinta, Calif.

Chris Evert Lloyd defeated Kathy Jordan, 6-2, 6-4, to win a $150,000 tournament in Oakland, Calif.

[...]
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #269

NAVRATILOVA WINS IN WOMEN'S INDOOR
The Dallas Morning News
Wednesday, March 5, 1986
Associated Press

WEST WINDSOR, N.J. -- Top-seeded Martina Navratilova and reigning U.S. Open champion Hana Mandlikova won their first-round matches Tuesday night, while veteran Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat upset fifth-seeded Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden, 7-5, 6-4, in the second round of the $150,000 U.S. Women's Indoor Tennis Championships.

Navratilova began her drive for a fourth title in the tournament by defeating 17-year-old Grace Kim, 6-2, 6-1. But Mandlikova, the defending champion, had to fight off four set points before outlasting Laura Gildemeister of Peru, 6-2, 7-6.

In other first-round matches Tuesday, seeds Pam Shriver, Helena Sukova and Kathy Jordan all won in straight sets.

Trailing 1-2 in the opening set, Navratilova won 11 of the next 12 games with penetrating shots and good net play.

"It was a good enough start,'' said the six-time Wimbledon champion, who plays Andrea Holikova of her native Czechoslovakia when the tournament shifts Wednesday to the Rutgers Athletic Center in Piscataway.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #270

JORDAN BACK ON WINNING TRACK
San Jose Mercury News
Wednesday, March 5, 1986
Associated Press

Playing with torn ligaments in her wrist, Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat upset fifth-seeded Catarina Lindqvist 7-5, 6-4 in the second round of the $150,000 U.S. Indoors tennis tournament Tuesday.

"An orthopedist advised me against playing, but the wrist felt all right. I never let up. I'm glad, though, that we didn't go into a third set," Balestrat said. "I might have been in some trouble."

Lindvist, who dropped last year's final to Hana Mandlikova, hit forehand shots over the baseline for service breaks in the final game of each set.

Kathy Jordan, who beat Mandlikova and Navratilova in Oakland last week, ousted Carina Karlsson 6-1, 7-5, having to rally from a 2-5 deficit in the second set. Jordan's sharp volleys overcame some service lapses. She committed nine doublefaults.

In other first-round matches, top seed Martina Navratilova began her drive for a fourth title here by defeating 17-year- old Grace Kim 6-2, 6-1.

Second-seeded Mandlikova had a more difficult time. She fought off four set points in a tiebreaker before beating Laura Gildemeister 6-2, 7-6 (10-8).

Pam Shriver, the No. 3 seed, posted an easy 6-2, 6-1 triumph over Marcella Mesker in just 45 minutes.

No. 4 Helena Sukova, the 6-foot-2 Czech, won 10 straight games on her way to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Eva Pfaff.

In other matches, Sylvia Hanika outlasted Pascale Paradis 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), and Elise Burgin eliminated Mary Lou Piatek 6-2, 7-5.