Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #46
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

Maria unfortunately lost prematurely in kalamata in the 2nd Round to a lowly ranked Italian 7-6(6) 7-5. This girl is only 17 though so she may be very underranked for her age

Hopefully Maria can have better results leading up to Heraklion. I sense that these Greek Surfaces don't really suit her style

Anyway, hellas719, how did Anett play, sorry to keep on asking

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #47
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted it in the USO forum, but it's probably hard to see since its in the archives . So I'll send you a PM, just remind me if I forget

Maria's mother had another commercial for rexona

Back to Maria, things haven't been going very well lately
As chingching mentioned, she lost in the R16 of 10K Kalamata to Palmigiano (#971), but I actually expected this result because I knew Palmigiano was dangerous and under ranked. But Maria probably had SPs in both sets looking at the scoreline . And her first round win over Irini Papageorgiou was by retirement, which worries me since Irini is only 19 and has had tons of injuries already and then she pulled out of the next few tournaments

Then she played two 25Ks in Lagos, Nigeria, and she probably expected easy points, but in the end she just wasted her time and travel money, as she probably would've gained more points if she just stayed in Greece

The first one she lost to Rishika Sunkara (IND, #625) 3-6 2-6
Okay, I know Sunkara is ranked higher than Maria so I wasn't 100% certain that Maria would win, but I still expected more of a fight . I mean she couldn't really get a much easier 25K first round (unless she was lucky enough to draw a Nigerian wildcard)

And then the second one was bad too. She lost to (Q) Zarah Razafimahatratra (MAD, NR) 2-6 2-6. It was expected really, as this girl reached e QF the previous week in Lagos, beating two players in the top 550 before taking a set off of #91 Bratchikova in the QF . And then Maria withdrew from her doubles R1 with Tomova, I'm not sure why she never plays doubles . So basically she wasted her time in Nigeria, I just hope she can do well in Heraklion to end her season, but she is on a 3 match losing streak and I think she reached her maximum tournament count because of the age eligibility rules

In all this time she got her ranking up to 568, a new career-high, but now she's back down to 627

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #48
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Lost R1 of 10K Heraklion 1-6 4-6 to (WC) Grammatikopoulou (GRE) and then withdrew from a few tournaments immediately

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #49
country flag hellas719

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #50
country flag hellas719

25K Innisbrook, USA:
QR1: Sanaz Marand USA (#530) d. Maria Sakkari GRE 6-1 6-1

She switched to babolat!

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #51
country flag hellas719

25K Port St. Lucie, USA:
QR1 l. to Michaela Boev BEL (#984) 4-6 0-6

WTA Doha:
QR1 l. to Anastasia Rodionova AUS (#131) 2-6 2-6

10K Netanya I:
R1 d. (WC) Talya Zandberg ISR 6-0 6-0
R2 d. Lee Or ISR (#1060) 6-1 6-1
QF d. (1) Keren Shlomo ISR (#418) 7-6 6-4
SF l. to (6) Natela Dzalamidze RUS (#713) 6-1 2-6 2-6

10K Netanya II:
R1 d. (8) Polina Leykina RUS (#548) 6-0 5-7 6-1
R2 l. to (Q) Arabela Fernandez Rabener ESP (#986) 6-7 1-6

It's good to see that she's picked up her form again. The horrendous loss to Boev was scary, but then she played well against Rodionova, beat Shlomo, played a close match against eventual champion Dzalamidze in Netanya, beat Leykina, and lost to Fernandez Rabener, a player making her comeback.

She's gotten her ranking back inside the top 600 to 589
Next up for her will be two 10K's in Heraklion, Crete and then Fed Cup

Doha:

10K Kalamata 2012:

10K Heraklion 2011:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #52
country flag hellas719

10K Heraklion 2011:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #53
country flag hellas719

Photoshoot with Papamichail and Stefanou:

Old Jun 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #54
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

She seems to be failing again
I really thought she was gonna make it but she really needs to improve

Old Jun 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM   #55
country flag hellas719

10K Heraklion I:
R1 l. to Josephine Boualem ESP (#876) 6-7 3-6

Fed Cup:
Kovinic MNE d. Sakkari 6-2 6-3
Stanciute LTU d. Sakkari 5-7 6-2 6-1
Simmonds RSA d. Sakkari 6-3 6-0
Suomalainen FIN d. Sakkari 6-0 6-2
It's very disappointing that after two years she still hasn't won a match in Fed Cup, but then again all of the girls she played against this year were ranked much higher than her so I should not have expected much from her anyways

10K Heraklion IV:
R1 d. Ainhoa Atucha Gomez ESP (#1032) 3-6 7-6 6-3
R2 d. Natalia Vajdova SVK (#1001) 6-4 1-6 6-2
QF l. to Julia Stamatova BUL (#611) 4-6 4-6

10K Heraklion V:
R1 d. Agnes Szatmari ROU (NR) 7-5 6-0
R2 l. to Valentini Grammatikopoulou GRE (#901) 6-4 4-6 4-6
Grammatikopoulou ended up taking the title so it really wasn't a bad loss

25K Italy:
R1 l. to (Q) Martina di Giuseppe ITA (#815) 2-6 1-6
Really couldn't have asked for a better draw at a 25K. Such a waste of a good draw and an easy 8 ranking points for winning the first round

25K USA:
QR1 BYE
QR2 d. Sophia Bursulaya USA (NR) 6-2 6-1
QR3 d. Anastasiya Joyner USA (NR) 6-0 6-1
R1 l. to (Q) Fatma al Nabhani OMA (#480) 2-6 2-6
Again, she wasn't going to get a better draw at this level and couldn't come close

25K USA:
QR1 BYE
QR2 d. Brooke Rischbieth AUS (#1145) 1-6 6-1 6-1
QR3 d. (15) Jacqueline Crawford USA (#1111) 6-4 6-3
R1 l. to (5) Chieh-Yu Hsu TPE (#272) 4-6 1-6

Currently ranked #626 in singles, but she's losing a lot of points the next few weeks and hasn't signed up for any tournaments. She was probably picked to play the Mediterranean Games since she didn't enter any events. I hope she goes on a tear at the Greek fall ITF events, since there will be over 10 of them . And in a few weeks she won't have to worry about age restrictions since she'll turn 18 and can be free to enter as many tournaments as she wants

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #56
country flag hellas719

Mediterranean Games:
R1 l. to Federica Di Sarra ITA (#351) 4-6 3-6
IMO the difference in the match was that Maria hit 10 double faults
Di Sarra ended up taking the bronze

She also played doubles with Papamichail, but they lost in the QF to Spain

A very nice video of her:

With Fafaliou:

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #57
country flag hellas719

More photos:

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #58
country flag chingching

Not surprised to see her change to Babolat as many Prince players have done, especially lower ranked ones. Do you know how you can access the full results for the Mediterranean Games?

It really is a shame that she is kinda stalling as I really though by now if she wasn't Top 400 she'd at least be moving forward

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #59
country flag hellas719

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
Not surprised to see her change to Babolat as many Prince players have done, especially lower ranked ones. Do you know how you can access the full results for the Mediterranean Games?

It really is a shame that she is kinda stalling as I really though by now if she wasn't Top 400 she'd at least be moving forward
http://info.mersin2013.gov.tr/disiplineDetails_TE.aspx

This isn't really organized though, but also there's a thread in the challenger forum

And yeah, he progress has really stopped and her ranking is going to drop even more now that her Palermo points will come off

I think she still has time though. She's still 17, and if she plays a smart schedule with many 10Ks, then she can have a good second half of the season
But she always tries to enter bigger events where she can't win matches, it really doesn't make any sense at all

Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 05:12 AM   #60
country flag hellas719

10K Turkey:
R1 l. to (Q) Anastasia Mukhametova RUS (#1133) 6-2 6-7(8) 2-6
Mukhametova actually was a really promising player and then vanished for quite a while so the loss doesn't look that bad, but the scoreline clearly indicates a choke

10K Greece, MYTILINI:
R1 BYE
R2 d. Samantha Powers USA (#1183) 2-6 6-2 6-2
QF d. Angeliki Kairi GRE (#1136) 6-4 6-1
SF d. (8) Ashley Murdock USA (#879) 2-6 6-1 6-3
F l. to (6) Klaartje Liebens BEL (#822) 2-6 1-6
Maria was the top seed here, so it's too bad she couldn't win. It's crazy how she has been in several 10K finals and still hasn't won one. I knew she wouldn't win this one though, Mytilini is the only Greek tournament with some history that has lasted through the economic crisis (it's just a 10K, but still), and Greek girls have won it every even year since it started (Anna Gerasimou in 06, Eirini Georgatou in 08, Despina Papamichail in 10, and Despoina Vogasari in 12), so 2013 meant a foreign girl had to win

Maria also played doubles here with BFF Agni Stefanou, but they lost a super tiebreak heartbreaker in the semis

10K Greece, MARATHON:
R1 d. (WC) Martha Matoula GRE (NR) 6-1 6-1
R2 d. (7) Valeria Podda NED (#623) 6-3 6-3
QF d. Francesca Palmigiano ITA (#665) 6-4 1-6 6-1
SF d. (8) Janina Toljan AUT (#648) 6-4 6-7(7) 6-4
F l. to (6) Aminat Kushkova RUS (#594) 0-6 5-7
4th career 10K final, still no titles
When is she going to win one finally?????
Also Lost doubles final 10-8 in STB

10K Greece, MARATHON:
R1 d. Agni Stefanou GRE (#731) 6-3 6-3
R2 l. to (1) Nuria Parrizas Diaz ESP (#405) 3-6 3-6

10K Greece, MARATHON:
R1 d. Stefanie Stemmer GER (#878) 6-1 6-0
R2 l. to (6) Laura Schaeder GER (#578) 5-7 3-6
Also lost doubles R1 here

25K Nigeria:
R1 l. to (6) Melanie Klaffner AUT (#183) 1-6 3-6

25K Nigeria:
R1 d. (Q) Xi-Yao Wang CHN (#729) 6-1 7-5
R2 l. to (4) Cristina Dinu ROU (#180) 5-7 1-6
Doubles QF with Fafaliou

10K Spain:
R1 d. (Q) Maria Palhoto POR (NR) 6-3 7-5
R2 d. Carmen Lopez-Rueda ESP (#894) 6-2 6-1
QF d. (4) Jade Suvrijn FRA (#492) 6-2 6-7(6) 6-2
SF l. to (7) Mayar Sherif EGY (#641) 7-6(5) 6-7(7) 1-6
I wonder how many MPs she wasted
Even in the QF she made it so much harder than it had to be, she always does stuff like this

10K Spain:
R1 l. to Aleksandra Zenovka RUS (#975) 6-7(1) 2-6

10K Spain:
R1 d. (Q) Alba Carrillo Marin ESP (NR) 6-3 6-1
R2 d. Ai Wen Zhu CHN (#913) 6-1 6-0
QF d. Ines Ibbou ALG (#967) 6-3 6-3
SF l. to (5) Lisa Sabino SUI (#632) 1-6 1-6
Also reached doubles SF here but had to withdraw because her Spanish partner was injured

10K Spain:
R1 d. Melanie Stokke NOR (#958) 6-1 6-1
R2 d. Paula Mocete-Talamantes ESP (#1196) 6-0 6-0
QF l. to (5) Leolia Jeanjean FRA (#727) 2-6 4-6

Overall, Maria did a great job to turn around her year. She still has some issues though. She struggles to close out matches and loses too many close sets. She can't win a 10K title, but her raking improved a lot. After hitting rock bottom by having her ranking drop to 796 (Greek #7 at the time), she rebounded very well. Now she's at a career-high of 544. I hope in 2014 she can continue to improve her ranking. She needs to play more tournaments also. It's also good that now she is starting to play more doubles, as it will only help her in the long run.