Serena Williams Statement - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #211
country flag MaBaker
★Serbian Sensation★

MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena Williams Statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflies View Post
His comment actually has some logic in it, unlike yours, Mabaker. Your posts usually raise eye -brows for their insensitive and inconsideration. For calling someone moron, I see your comments have appeared way more moronic on this board so far than others.
Like this

?

I like how you see that his comment makes more logic than mine. It's a relief.
I was actually kind when I only called him a moron.

Last edited by MaBaker : Jun 19th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
MaBaker is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #212
country flag goat

goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future

But I just bought thousands of pitchforks and torches.... worst investment evah!
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #213
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
I do hope some people's daughters never make a mistake and never have a slip up. I hope they never go out running and chance to find themselves alone in a park, I hope they never have to leave the office late at night, I hope they never ever slip up and drink one glass too many at a party, I hope they never wear a skirt 2 inches higher than the knees... I hope all that because if by bad luck when one of this things happens they chance to come face to face with a rapist they will know their parents will think it was their fault. And maybe then they won't even report it, leaving yet another rapist walking free. Maybe they will hide it down inside and suffer traumatic psychologic effects because deep down they will always be thinking 'it was my fault, it was my fault, I made it happen, I didn't think, I was stupid'. This too IMO will be a result of bad parenting.

And all of you who think if the parents had tought her better it wouldn't have happened then you are the ones living in a UTOPIA!

This needs to be reposted several times.
edificio is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #214
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
OK, how does that change anything?
If the victim had been a virgin and it was not "just" finger rape, then she would have lost her virginity that way--that's how I understood that remark, at least.
Marlene is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #215
country flag goat

goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future goat has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
If the victim had been a virgin and it was not "just" finger rape, then she would have lost her virginity that way--that's how I understood that remark, at least.
Uhhh... That's not how you lose your virginitiy....
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #216
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
I do hope some people's daughters never make a mistake and never have a slip up. I hope they never go out running and chance to find themselves alone in a park, I hope they never have to leave the office late at night, I hope they never ever slip up and drink one glass too many at a party, I hope they never wear a skirt 2 inches higher than the knees... I hope all that because if by bad luck when one of this things happens they chance to come face to face with a rapist they will know their parents will think it was their fault. And maybe then they won't even report it, leaving yet another rapist walking free. Maybe they will hide it down inside and suffer traumatic psychologic effects because deep down they will always be thinking 'it was my fault, it was my fault, I made it happen, I didn't think, I was stupid'. This too IMO will be a result of bad parenting.

And all of you who think if the parents had tought her better it wouldn't have happened then you are the ones living in a UTOPIA!

Amazing. Agree absolutely.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #217
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot_Fault View Post
All of THIS.
What? Not even comparable, if a driver decides to drink drive then it's COMPLETELY his own fault. He will be the one doing the driving and he's basically killing himself by drinking without a clear brain, he's in control of his action and all the consequences are caused by him. A girl getting drunk is totally another issue, she's NOT in control of the boys' action.

So what's next, girls shouldn't show too much skin because they shouldn't 'put themselves in a bad situation' because there are perv in the street?
pancake is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #218
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
I twisted her words? I'm not even going to get into whether she meant it or not but I have been very clear that my issue is not with Serena anymore. She's apologised and that matter is settled, not once on here have I lambasted Serena for her comments.. What I have issue with is some blind faith fans continuing to defend her with heinous and flawed logic on an issue which they seem criminally underinformed on.

The mere fact that a crime like rape is being equated with car robbery and whatnot on here tells me enough.
You're all over the places. The particular case we are talking about involved kids. The girl and the boys that raped her were 16, 17 years olds. They should not have had party without adult supervision and should not have been drinking alcohol.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #219
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrx7 View Post
As everybody knows, I am a Williams Sister Fan all the way. At hearing those first comments, I was deeply hurt. Nobody, and nobody should ever even make the slightest criticism of a rape victim. After hearing that, and feeling big time bad about it, I was telling my buddies that an apology should be forthcoming quickly too. Very quickly..

As you say, as fans, let's move on..

My compliments to the mods for closing that thread. Serena haters smelled red meat there, and they were going for blood too..
This. I'm not as big a fan as you but i certainly like Serena, still do. I was/am really disappointed too but it's time to move on.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #220
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
But I just bought thousands of pitchforks and torches.... worst investment evah!
Don't worry.....with Serena planning on playing till 2016, you will definitely get to use them.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #221
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

So the whole "incident" (i.e. a short throwaway comment from a Rolling Stone article) is done, diffused and explained in well under 24 hours. Good, we can all move on.

Most people don't have time to sleep and go to work in that time. But according to some posters on here the sky fell and Serena besmeared her name, yet again
Olórin is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #222
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Saying that the girl should not have gotten drunk implies that the rape could have been avoided which is victim blaming which is rape apologising. What the fuck is so hard to understand about that?
That is serious

Yes and suggesting to men in prison not to bend over and pick up the soap is blaming the victim too.

What is hard to understand is your reasoning skills.

BTW, actually not getting passed out drunk or high actually does help women avoid getting raped (at parties where there is drinking and drugs). Can that person get raped in another scenario but of course but saying it was unavoidable is to say that every rape happens regardless of the situation and that's not true just like every other crime.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #223
Serena y Monica

Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future Serena y Monica has a brilliant future

Quote:
Saying that the girl should not have gotten drunk implies that the rape could have been avoided which is victim blaming which is rape apologising. What the fuck is so hard to understand about that?

Yes, underage drinking is an problem but in this particular matter it's a non-issue and stating that the girl should not have gotten drunk AFTER the rape has happened implies that the person stating it believes that due to her drinking too much she had a part to play in her rape as if she hadn't drunk so much it wouldn't have occured, which excuses the rapists of at least some of the blame.

Here is a dirty little secret. Had the victim not been black out drunk...the rape might have been avoided. That doesn't mean the victim was in anyway at fault for the decision the rapist made to attack her. It's just a sad but true statement. Sad that those boys saw an unconscious female and decided to take advantage...true that had the female not been blackout drunk they would likely not have done it. The lack of parental supervision was also a mitigating factor...still only those who chose to rape that young woman was responsible.

By taking away our responsibility to care for ourselves to treat our bodies as temples we are not doing young people any favors. It's a mean cruel world out there and you...not anyone else is responsible for looking out for your best interest. If you are blacked out from alcohol you can't do that. Almost as bad as those boys who raped that young girl were the people who cheered them on. Think about that for a minute. Then say we are not responsible for looking out for ourselves. Had one person said STOP WTF maybe this wouldn't have happened...I'm not blaming them...I'm saying we live in a world where people are sheep and not many believe that they are indeed their brothers keeper. So somebody (hopefully parents), had better teach our children they are their own best keeper.
Serena y Monica is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #224
country flag Whitehead's Boy

Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's unfortunate to me is that the debate centers around "she's right!!!!1" vs "she's wrong!!!!1", when it should be about when and how it's appropriate to express an opinion on a very sensitive topic such as rape. Serena words, regardless of if you agree or not on the general idea she was expressing, were unbelievebly insensitive. 1) If you're going to start talking about rape in front of a journalist, you should first insist with vehemence about how awful of a crime it is. It's a matter of respect for the victim. It doesn't appear she did that, it doesn't seem like the journalist had something against Serena so it would have been mentioned in the story. 2) If you're going to express an opinion about this topic, you should speak in general terms and not refer to a particular case when making your points. It's incredibly insensitive and disrespectful to the victim to make your point with a specific case. 3) The word lucky should never be pronounced, what an awful thing to say. 4) Let's not even start with the virgin part.

Bottom line, it's pointless to try to find any value to what Serena said when it's expressed in such a horrible and insensitive way.

As for the behavior of SOME of her fans, it's just typical of being a fan in general. It's like a religion, you shape all your opinions based on a set of facts that cannot possibly be wrong. In this case, it's "Serena is always right and her detractors are always wrong". Needless to say, if Sloane Stephens had said the exact same thing, the same people who defend Serena would suggest Stephens is clueless, a horrible human being, and is suffering from a mental illness. While it's true some of Serena detractors will jump on this, it's also true that any other decent human being (who is not a Serena detractor) will be appalled by her lack of sensitivity. Thankfully, she apologized so now we can move on.
Whitehead's Boy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #225
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I think she realized what she said may upset some people, and it's kind of insensitive of her to say such a thing in the first place. She apologized, there's not much else she could do now. All of us should just move on (though some of you still keep saying the hand incident even after a decade, and would never forget the ball shoving comment after a few years).
pancake is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread