Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 50 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #736
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Maiden name is Hare. Will write more later.
I had vainly searched it for long...

So now it's my turn to bow
Jimbo109 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #737
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
CEPKOVA, Emma (Czechoslovakia) [Born circa 1900-] [Mme Outratova] [Active 1930s]

Led Helen Wills Moody 6-3, 4-1 in the fourth round at Wimbledon in 1935 before losing 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.
-----
Emma Čepková became Mme Outratova in circa 1935.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #738
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo109 View Post
Which is her maiden name?

ESTHER ??
United States
Married Gerald "Jerry" Bartosh, before July 1929

She was Californian, and won Pacific Northwest Championships 1936 (RU '39), Wisconsin State Championships 1935, Utah State Championships 1938, Canadian Champs. 1936, RU Southern California Championships 1934, RU Tri-State Championships 1934, RU Colorado State Championships 1940, RU La Jolla Summer 1931, RU Washington State Championships 1936 '39

She often played the Mixed with her husband.
She discovered Robert "Bobby" R., that famous tennis player. Without Mrs. Bartosh the "Battle of the Sexes" would never have taken place, hehe.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #739
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Bartosh bio added (thanks for the Riggs tip LKK)
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2450

Susan Butt added at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=327

All added in!

Thanks Mark, Jimbo, and you too LKK.

Last edited by Rollo : Jun 17th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #740
country flag LKK

Quote:
Bartosch bio added (thanks for the Riggs tip LKK)
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2450

Susan Butt added at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=327

All added in!

Thanks Mark, Jimbo, and you too LKK.
Here is some additional info:

Mrs. Bartosh didn't treat tennis seriously until she became a practicing M.D. - working for the city health department forced her to be on call or within easy reach of a phone for the bulk of her time. She explained: "Because of that I wasn't able to play golf as much as I had been and in looking about for some sort of recreation which would leave me constantly near a telephone - that situation led me to a tennis court."
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #741
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Added-thanks LKK
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #742
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

in Biographies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
BABBITT, ETHEL (nee Ethel Mary Hatt)
Canada
Born 13 Jult 1878 in Fredicton, New Brunswick, Canada
Born 13 July 1876 in Fredericton

hatt babbitt ethel.jpg
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #743
country flag Jimbo109

In our yearly threads there are 2 South African named Neave: Alida and Alice, in the same years 1930s.
I think that Alice is a mistake, and they are the same woman.
What do you think about?
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #744
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
In our yearly threads there are 2 South African named Neave: Alida and Alice, in the same years 1930s.
I think that Alice is a mistake, and they are the same woman.
What do you think about?
It should be Alida Neave. I will try and add her bio soon.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #745
country flag Jimbo109

It isn't clear which is the correct entry

Miss Rose Hofkin, married Cowan
or
Miss Rose Hofkin Cowan

She was from Philadelphia, active in 1930s.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #746
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo109 View Post
It isn't clear which is the correct entry

Miss Rose Hofkin, married Cowan
or
Miss Rose Hofkin Cowan

She was from Philadelphia, active in 1930s.
She was Miss Rose Hofkin who married Mr. Cowan.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #747
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
She was Miss Rose Hofkin who married Mr. Cowan.
And then divorced.

HOFKIN, ROSE
United States
Born 26 October, 1911
Married Mr Cowan, circa 1938-soon divorced
Active in the 1930s.

A Philadelphian, she won the Huntington Valley Clay Court event in 1937 and 1938. Some later passenger lists give 1913 as her dare of birth, but this could simply be Rose fudging her year of birth; census records and early passenger lists confirm 1911.

I added Alida Neave to the bioas. Also, all of the contestants at Wimbledon in 1884 have entries I will be adding details to this week.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #748
country flag LKK

Quote:
And then divorced.

HOFKIN, ROSE
United States
Born 26 October, 1911
Married Mr Cowan, circa 1938-soon divorced
Active in the 1930s.

A Philadelphian, she won the Huntington Valley Clay Court event in 1937 and 1938. Some later passenger lists give 1913 as her dare of birth, but this could simply be Rose fudging her year of birth; census records and early passenger lists confirm 1911.

I added Alida Neave to the bioas. Also, all of the contestants at Wimbledon in 1884 have entries I will be adding details to this week.
I checked on the internet, and she was already married by July 1937
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #749
country flag Jimbo109

Thanks Rollo and LKK, for your info about Rose Hofkin and Alida Neave.
So Alice Neave is a mistake, isn't it?
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #750
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Thanks Rollo and LKK, for your info about Rose Hofkin and Alida Neave.
So Alice Neave is a mistake, isn't it?
Hi Jimbo-yes Alice was a mistake. I will be getting a window of time off in Julyt and will restart an effort to squeeze out more about South African events and tournaments.

Fixed Rose Hofkin's bio per LKK's dates.

And added nice entries for both Maude Watson (thanks to Mark's great effort in copying Alan Little's book) and Lilian Watson (including her exact dates of birth and death).