USTA Suing" Venus & Serena" Documakers - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
country flag Marcell

Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute
USTA Suing" Venus & Serena" Documakers

‏@RichSandomir USTA sues "Venus & Serena" documakers for "misappropriation" of US Open video; makers call suit "shameful" and "outrageous"

‏@RichSandomir "Venus and Serena" docu USTA is suing over, is made by Maiken Baird and MIchele Major. Alex Gibney is exec producer.
Marcell is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USTA Suing" Venus & Serena" Documakers

USTA wants want a piece of the action.
There is no better platform than Wimbledon where the documentary is the buzz.

I expect an "undisclosed settlement" soon, where the parties agree not to talk about the terms and details of the agreement.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jun 17th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Did the makers of the documentary use USTA-owned video without getting copyright permission?
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
Did the makers of the documentary use USTA-owned video without getting copyright permission?
That is what the USTA may be alleging.. maybe further details will posted.

Depending on where you stand, it could have come at better or worse time.

Free publicity for the documentary, bad press for the documentarian

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

Did an interview a few years ago with Alex Gibney and he knows his stuff so I very much doubt there's been any major breech unless he was more hands off and they were just using his name to further the project and open a few doors.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
country flag selesbooz

selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
USTA wants want a piece of the action.
There is no better platform than Wimbledon where the documentary is the buzz.

I expect an "undisclosed settlement" soon, where the parties agree not to talk about the terms and details of the agreement.
What action???? it's only made 46,000 to date.
I hope the USTA gets it all.
selesbooz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #7
tommyk75

tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future

Seems pretty clear-cut, doesn't it? If the producers used US Open footage without clearing the rights, they gotta pay up. If they did no such thing, they've got nothing to worry about.

By the way, I recommend the movie. There was nothing earthquakingly revealing, but it was still an interesting look at the Sisters.
tommyk75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #8
country flag practiceboy

practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future

According to the New York Times, the filmmakers are saying that their use of the footage falls under the "fair use" doctrine, which is a valid defense to copyright infringement.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.co...Sets&seid=auto

Here's the Wikipedia entry for the fair use doctrine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
practiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #9
country flag TPlaya8

TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of

I was just thinking about the fair use doctrine and most of the footage from the US Open was the Serena tirade other than the classic ones like their first final and the "bump"
TPlaya8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #10
country flag tennisbum79

If the USTA demands that the showing of the film be immediately stopped until all matters are copyrights matters are cleared and a judge agree, would that decision be enforced outside of the USA?

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #11
country flag practiceboy

practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future

I have to say, I don't really understand why the USTA is going to such great lengths and paying hundreds of thousands in attorney's fees to file suit against the filmmakers. Like, the clips are all over Youtube anyway. Filing this lawsuit will only bring more attention to them, and to the movie. What could possibly be their motivation...?
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #12
country flag practiceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
If the USTA demands that the showing of the film be immediately stopped until all matters are copyrights matters are cleared and a judge agree, would that decision be enforced outside of the USA?
I think not. But it could be something more complicated or nuanced like, the judge orders the filmmakers to cancel/cease all distribution, which I suppose could potentially have the same effect. I don't really know how broadcast deals work - but no, a U.S. judge can't order a foreign entity on foreign soil not to do something.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by selesbooz View Post
What action???? it's only made 46,000 to date.
I hope the USTA gets it all.
46,000 is gonna be tennis TV viewership after the sisters retire

Simply cause nearly everyone involved in tennis don't have a clue, like USTA....and petty clowns like you. Enjoy while you can cause if you think it's hard to find matches to watch now....
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #14
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Oh look at the USTA once again attempting to profit off of the Williams sisters. If only they could claim some credit for their success they probably would have had no problem with this documentary using US Open footage. This sounds a bit personal if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #15
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you would rather Maria get everything huh? So she can look down on you like a piece of turd and you would love it

I really believe most of you are straight retarded
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote