Madison Brengle Cheering Thread - Page 96 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 4th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1426
country flag jcempire

jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice
Re: Madison Brengle Cheering Thread

Good luck Madison
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1427
country flag Picard

Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light

Aegon Trophy, Nottingham, UK ($75k grass court)
1st Round: Eugenie Bouchard (CAN)(#77) –v- Madison Brengle (USA)(#199)
6-4 2-6 7-5

Blue skies, glorious sunshine, grass courts, with only just the occasional gust of strong wind. Lovely weather to be watching a tennis match, and what an exciting and tense match it was!

Very closely balanced match that swung one way, then the other, then back the other way again with Bouchard edging the third set 7-5 having saved a number of break points on her own serve at 6-5. Bouchard showcased her potential and how technically strong her ground game is, and Brengle showed tremendous gutsiness and passion. Brengle looked crestfallen at the end but I thought she put in a really gutsy performance against a player who she was giving up 120 places or so to in the WTA rankings. I hope Madison takes the positives from this performance because she pushed Bouchard all the way.

This was the first time that I had seen these players ‘live’ and I thought it was fascinating seeing their game styles and how they play.

Eugenine Bouchard

Apparently, she’s friends with Sharapova. The association couldn’t be more apt because Bouchard strikes the ball really well, and like Sharapova she tends to look to drive the ball flat through the court rather than hit with heavy topspin. Really strong groundstrokes off both wings, lovely technique, hits with a lot of pace, uses her legs really well, and gets down really low on the ball (at times, she’s almost looks as if she’s crouching - see below). She always seems to be ‘in balance’ when striking the ball and that low stance seems to give her a solid foundation for her groundstrokes, particularly on grass where the ball is going to have a lower bounce. Alot of zip to her groundstrokes off both wings. Doesn't have the mental intensity of Sharapova, but then again, I don't think anyone does apart from Serena.

Bouchard served well too today, with good pace and also mixed it up when she had to, with slice out wide or kickers up to Madison’s backhand. The variation and change ups would be difficult to read.

Very relaxed, cool demeanour on court with no ‘come ons’ or cursing or self-talk. Must be disconcerting for her opponents because she doesn’t have any obvious mannerisms that show that he’s flustered or tight. Interestingly, you could see when those moments when she was tense by the expression on her face, but it wouldn’t be obvious to her opponent. There was only on moment during the match - when the 2nd was slipping away from her - when she look flustered and tossed her racquet across the court, and played a flakey service game when she plopped a few 1st serves into the bottom of the net. Other than that she was as cool as a cucumber.

Talented player and technically very strong off the ground. She played a very effective ‘pattern of 8’ game today, hitting left, then right, left, right etc. She used the width of the court really well, and with the zip that she had on her groundstrokes, Madison was having to work hard.

[My comments on Madison's performance to follow]

Last edited by Picard : Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Picard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1428
country flag Picard

Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light Picard is a glorious beacon of light

Madison Brengle

From a spectator's perspective, what a thoroughly entertaining player to watch! Gutsy, firey particularly when she's frustrated, emotive, passionate, up/down emotionally, fights and runs down every point...its hard not to like her.

Like Bouchard, she's another baseliner as well with a solid ground game off both wings. Looking at her groundstrokes they weren't quite as flat as Bouchard’s and her balls tended to ‘stand up’ a little more off the bounce and without quite the same 'zip' through the court as the balls hit by Bouchard. Apart from a period during the 2nd set when Madison starting hitting more aggressively (which yielded results for her), Bouchard just had the edge of the battle of the groundies today – her groundstrokes had a fraction more zip, and she used the width of the court slightly better than Brengle. I was impressed though by Brengle's fitness in running everything down and driving returns in the battle of the baseline.

One area where I think Brengle can improve is how she manages her emotions in relation to momementum swings during the match. In a tight match her adrenaline seems to get going, her frustrations and emotions tend to boil over, with her questoning line calls (at times with some justification), opening her palms up the sky to show her obvious frustration with calls. From a spectator's perspective, its thoroughly entertaining to watch (don't we just love players who leave their emotions out there?) but I think its counter productive for Brengle, it throws her focus and ultimately costs her points at key stages of the match.

A good example was towards the end of the 2nd set. Brengle was hitting more aggressively, probably more than she's used to, she had the bit between her teeth, was charged up, was in the ascendancy and Bouchard look flustered. You could feel how pumped up she was emotionally, even from the side of the court with her yelling 'Come On!' when she took the 2nd set. That would have been the perfect time to get straight into a 3rd set but Brengle decided to take a toilet break. If you have to go, have to go but I think it worked against her. Bouchard used to the time to compose herself and get herself straight again mentally. We also know that when you've been on an emotional high and just taken a set, you can be vulnerable if serving in the first game of the next set as you've already had a 'release' of emotions when winning that set and you can slightly deflated and less focused when serving in the first game of the next set. When Brengle came back from the toilet break I was thinking 'You've got to hold this service game, you've got to.' Brengle to serve in the 1st game of the 3rd set but she played a really flakey, unfocused service game, she looked tight, anxious, though to be fair to her, it didn't help that the wind pick up behind her when she was serving. So instead of holding her serve and getting her nose in front (and thus putting pressure on Bouchard), she lost her service gmae to her, Bouchard held hers, to go 2-0 in the final set. That puts Brengle under pressure and in a more difficult catch up position, which isn't a good position to be in the 3rd set.

The 3rd set continued to serve with 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 etc, with Brengle having to break Bouchard's serve to level up, but its hard playing catch up. Brengle looked distracted on Bouchard's service game, fiddling with her racquet, looking over at adjacent courts, complaining to the umpire etc. I've nothing against players 'letting it out' emotionally, but I really do think that once she's done that she's got let it go and FOCUS on the next point. Obviously, it would have been beyond me to shout 'Focus! Get your mind clear. Focus on the next point!' but I think that's what she needed to do. The other thing which I think worked against her in this 3rd set was that she was rushing in between points when serving. She was obviously high on adrenaline, pumped up, but I've never seen anyone serve so quickly! Take your time Madison, breath deep, get the tension out, clear your mind, RELAX, GET YOURSELF MENTALLY READ, THEN AND ONLY THEN serve.

Bouchard started getting a bit tight during her own service game and Brengle levelled it up at 5-5...before losing her own service to go 5-6 down. Bouchard played a nail biter of a service game on her own serve, managing to defend 3 break points before taking the set 7-5.

Thoroughly entertaining match, great to watch and credit to both players, particulary Brengle for putting in a gutsy performance.

Last edited by Picard : Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1429
country flag Picard

Brengle beat Claire Feuerstein of France 6-1, 6-2 in the 1st round of the Nottingham Aegon Challenger (UK).

She's playing Ana Vrljić of Croatia in the 2nd round tomorrow.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1430
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your pictures & write ups Picard Mad looks to be allot fitter than the last time I saw her play last year

Nice win against Claire
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1431
country flag goOudinUSA
Congrats Mai!!

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute

GL Madison!!

Bally
goOudinUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1432
country flag Picard

Brengle beat Vrljiv 6-4, 6-2. She's on a roll! I wonder whether they moved themselves because it was absolutely blitzing it down rain in Nottingham today and part of yesterday which halted play.

She plays Nastassja Burnett (ITA)(WTA 145) next.

http://www.lta.org.uk/NewWebsite/LTA...ain%20draw.pdf

Last edited by Picard : Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1433
country flag Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
Thanks so much for your pictures & write ups Picard Mad looks to be allot fitter than the last time I saw her play last year
Her fitness and the way she ran down balls whilst still in balance to drive the ball off both wings really impressed me. She tired at bit towards the end of the 3rd but that wasn't suprising as Bouchard really moved her around as well as hitting zippier groundstrokes which Madison was constantly having to run down.

The one thing I think she should immediately work on - and its a major thing in my view - is her mental focus at key times and how she manages her emotions/frustations/adrenaline. It cost her 7-8 points at key times during the Bouchard match. Get frustrated, let it out, then LET IT GO and FOCUS!!

Last edited by Picard : Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1434
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Mad!
GOATdin0931 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #1435
country flag goOudinUSA
Congrats Mai!!

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Nice win, Madison!!

GL against Burnett!

Bally
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1436

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Mad lost to Natasha 6/4 in the 3rd. Sooo close Well, at least she has allot of solid match play going into Wimby Q's

GL Mad!
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1437
country flag goOudinUSA
Congrats Mai!!

Madison

GL in Wimby QD!!!

Bally
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1438
country flag Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
Mad lost to Natasha 6/4 in the 3rd. Sooo close Well, at least she has allot of solid match play going into Wimby Q's

GL Mad!
Yeah, 4-6, 6-2, 4-6....very close match. Probably just a few key points here or there that probably swung it.

Brengle had 19 break points on her own serve though (Burnett taking 6 of them) which is way too many. Take your time on your serves Mad, and make sure you serve when your head's clear and you're focused!

Last edited by Picard : Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1439
country flag dos Santos

dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute dos Santos has a reputation beyond repute

dos Santos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1440

Mad played a 50K this past week in Sacramento, Ca. She did really well as the #5 seed by reaching the final before losing to Mayo Hibi 7/5 6/0