JuJu Heng had an interview with newest French Open winner Serena Williams yesterday - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #106
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JuJu Heng had an interview with newest French Open winner Serena Williams yesterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Okay, that bit's interesting. Still seems funny about players going on about intimidation tactics in the warm-up, because apparently all players are going out there to set the tone for their own match. They all want to "intimidate." But why is it that some (a few perhaps) players seem to suggest that what Serena does is somehow different?

I dare say the actual match is more important than a moment of nerves in the warm-up. Players need to be prepared for the actual battle to come. Basically, if you feel intimidated in the warm-up, I'm not sure you have the mentality to win the match.
And guess who is the GOAT in that department?

I disagree with Mauresmo but can see Justine's POV here, it's not like Justine was physically afraid of Serena, she was more afraid of Serena's mental GOATness. makes sense no?!
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #107
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JuJu Heng had an interview with newest French Open winner Serena Williams yesterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I wonder how long it will take before someone calls her a racist. You're walking on egg shells with that one, Justine.
Very disappointed.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #108
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Okay, that bit's interesting. Still seems funny about players going on about intimidation tactics in the warm-up, because apparently all players are going out there to set the tone for their own match. They all want to "intimidate." But why is it that some (a few perhaps) players seem to suggest that what Serena does is somehow different?

I dare say the actual match is more important than a moment of nerves in the warm-up. Players need to be prepared for the actual battle to come. Basically, if you feel intimidated in the warm-up, I'm not sure you have the mentality to win the match.
Of course the actual match is what matters. And feeling a hint of intimidation before the match starts is not an indication that you will lose the match. But it might get your opponent a few cheap points in the beginning.

Serena can intimidate more than others because she is already a great champion and winner, and she possesses the weapons. Her actions have stronger effect.

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #109
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopero View Post
If you are intimidated by swings then go the fuck home .
So much this!!!!!!

Who knew professional tennis players were so bitchmade!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #110
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
Serena is a two-face bitch. Kissing Justine on the cheek and being all smiles but she always was full of shit, giving excuses after excuses whenever she lost to her, acting classless and rude.

How quickly people forget what Serena did in USO 09 when this bully threatened to kill a woman.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Enjoy spreading lies much? I think it's awful, what you do. You realize the accusations you make? Imagine people completely new to tennis reading this, they could actually take your silly words for granted and believe that our leading tennis player threatened to kill someone.

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #111
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesborah View Post
Because you guys are used to see Serena like that, but players notice more things than we do Justine was just making observations, not bashing her at all Hell, she said she had her own warming-up tactics !
As a Serena fan, I can honestly see how her swinging that racket during the coin toss, coupled with a "toss this damn coin so I can commence to whoop ass" expression on her face might get into an opponents head lol...it wouldn't have the same effect if it came from just an average player, but a dominant player probably has the ability to affect opponents with the slightest gestures...that really goes for great players in any sport...I don't think Justine meant what she said in a negative way at all...and lets be real, if you can get your opponent to shit bricks before the coin is even tossed, well you've already won half the battle lol
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #112
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
Her attitude IMO is EXTREMELY competitive. If you just listen to the way she analyzes matches, she talks about how to beat EVERYONE, not just Serena. She comments on weaknesses or tendencies that she's picked up on simply by watching them compete.

I would argue as Serena fans we are a bit more sensitive to that commentary as we are ardent supporters of the Lord and don't like to hear her be diminished in any way, so I don't disagree that sometimes her commentary is "off putting." I'd argue though that she is the 1 commentator on the women's side that CAN and SHOULD get away with that. If you listen to all the "GREATS" in any sport analyze the modern day field they are always very protective of their own era and accolades. The Game is always evolving and changing in any sport so its to be expected.

Michael Jordan immediately comes to mind for me, sure Jordan is complimentary of Kobe and Lebron but if you ask him who wins in a 1on1 game against him in his "PRIME" he's going to pick himself 9 times out of 10. It is that type of competitive desire that I personally admire because if they didn't walk out on the court and believe they were the best then they wouldn't have won or achieved a fraction of what they have. So bringing it back to Nav, many of her records will NEVER be broken. Even though she may not have the most singles slams in the Open era she holds many other significant GOAT records so I don't think she is "insecure" about her place in history. I think she simply comes from a different era and comments accordingly.

I'll be the first to admit Navratilova is PRESSED over Serena and always has been but I think its because she WISHES she could have faced off against a competitor as fierce as Serena during her era and truly measured her game against a fellow GOAT. She sees Serena's level of domination against her opponents and knows that was her in the 80s before Graf came along. If anything Nav may be upset that a "Graf like" player hasn't come along and stopped Serena. Its a complicated situation to analyze though because I've heard Navratilova be very complimentary of Serena in the past but also make some pretty snide remarks as well.
Thank you for the comprehensive explanation.
It helps me understand your position more clearly.
I think that other Navratilova supporters are definitely not as analytical, honest, nor and balanced when explaining their stance.
That's why I asked a fellow Serena fan.

That said, I do understand that a past champion will undoubtedly still maintain the same competitive nature and spirit that once made them great during there days of competing. And that is perfectly fine. Admirable even.
However, my primary displeasure with Navratilova is her double-standards & non-empathy towards my fave.
Also, I have to call into question her equal application of Serena across the board. In other words, why does she possess an particularly spiteful opinion of Serena. It's even difficult for her to hide it at times.

Still I can understand your support, and again appreciate your honest answer.
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #113
country flag Keaka

Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see Henin as a TV host of a belgian spinoff of Jerry Springer.

Last edited by Keaka : Jun 12th, 2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Wrong tense.
Keaka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #114
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Serena is a two-face bitch. Kissing Justine on the cheek and being all smiles but she always was full of shit, giving excuses after excuses whenever she lost to her, acting classless and rude.

How quickly people forget what Serena did in USO 09 when this bully threatened to kill a woman.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
You didn't make one valid point in that entire post.

Your favorite player is ACTUALLY the biggest two-faced bitch we've seen on tour in EVER so you might want to chill with the self-reads.
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #115
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Serena's pre-game warm-up "tactics" being intimidating...

The only way I can read this is that Serena's very presence and movements are intimidating in different ways to different opponents.

Some are clearly shaking before they even walk out onto the court.
I see deep breathing, the shaking of hands, arms, and legs, while awaiting the commencement of the competition. And I've even seen where players close their eyes and nearly sprint out.

But I've also witnessed certain nervous habits from Serena as we well.
Does that also mean that she's intimidated by her opponent?

All this tells me is that all players have moments of nervousness and ways in which to eliminate them; as well as how they view their opponents.
I can't count Serena's shoulder-loosening exercises as an attempt to intimidate because she has ALWAYS done this to loosen up, and so have many others. So maybe there is something else going on that fans are not privy to unless we were to face Serena.

That said, all this talk of Serena employing intimidation tactics against her opponents during warm-up routines are simply hearsay.
I have to consider the opponents' state of mind more than what Serena is doing or not doing.
And unless I'm am told or shown something specific with which to check and see for myself...I ain't buying a single iota of the rumor, and will overlook Henin's assumption.
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #116
country flag RVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
You didn't make one valid point in that entire post.

Your favorite player is ACTUALLY the biggest two-faced bitch we've seen on tour in EVER so you might want to chill with the self-reads.
You'd think he had some FrankenSloane worshiping to do somewhere.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #117
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

"Lucky shots" is my favourite.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #118
country flag leftbrian

leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future

Quote:

Two-faced? More like PR. She's getting better at it, learning from the best (Sharapova).
leftbrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #119
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Re: Serena's pre-game warm-up "tactics" being intimidating...

The only way I can read this is that Serena's very presence and movements are intimidating in different ways to different opponents.

Some are clearly shaking before they even walk out onto the court.
I see deep breathing, the shaking of hands, arms, and legs, while awaiting the commencement of the competition. And I've even seen where players close their eyes and nearly sprint out.

But I've also witnessed certain nervous habits from Serena as we well.
Does that also mean that she's intimidated by her opponent?

All this tells me is that all players have moments of nervousness and ways in which to eliminate them; as well as how they view their opponents.
I can't count Serena's shoulder-loosening exercises as an attempt to intimidate because she has ALWAYS done this to loosen up, and so have many others. So maybe there is something else going on that fans are not privy to unless we were to face Serena.

That said, all this talk of Serena employing intimidation tactics against her opponents during warm-up routines are simply hearsay.
I have to consider the opponents' state of mind more than what Serena is doing or not doing.
And unless I'm am told or shown something specific with which to check and see for myself...I ain't buying a single iota of the rumor, and will overlook Henin's assumption.
She probably is not doing things with the intention of intimidating her opponents, but that doesn't mean they aren't intimidated by her. Most of them probably go into the match thinking they have a very slim chance to pull out the victory, so their nerves are already on edge. My granny always says, "when baby waah cry, yuh only haffu look pon dem". Meaning, when someone is already close to the edge you really don't have to do much to push them over. It doesn't take much to intimidate someone who has already psyched themselves out. Some of these girls are probably intimidated by Serena's breathing lol
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #120
country flag RVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanNYC View Post
She probably is not doing things with the intention of intimidating her opponents, but that doesn't mean they aren't intimidated by her. Most of them probably go into the match thinking they have a very slim chance to pull out the victory, so their nerves are already on edge. My granny always says, "when baby waah cry, yuh only haffu look pon dem". Meaning, when someone is already close to the edge you really don't have to do much to push them over. It doesn't take much to intimidate someone who has already psyched themselves out. Some of these girls are probably intimidated by Serena's breathing lol
Precisely my point.
And your granny is obviously a wise woman.

Last edited by RVD : Jun 13th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.