Roland Garros 2013 : La reine Maria de retour dans son jardin - Page 81 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1201
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roland Garros 2013 : La reine Maria de retour dans son jardin

Only saw her go down a break in the first, so this was the expected result from there. Finding it difficult to be too disappointed, actually, because by all accounts Maria gave it her absolute all - so she's got nothing to be ashamed of.

I just hope Maria doesn't get drawn in Serena's half at Wimbledon though. I want her to make another final there.
Advertisement

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #1202
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

I'm not making excuses for Masha, but I think her lower first serve percentage is a byproduct of Serena's lethal return. IF you notice, she started the match by taking a little off her 1st serve and getting it in, but then serena punished it and suddenly she was put under pressure, quickly down 0-40. From then on, she threw caution to the wind and just went for it everytime. I think Maria felt like she really had to go for the big serves all the time, and thus she took a lot of risks. Unfortunately, post-shoulder surgery Maria is never going to have the consistent serve that she once did. I'm not saying that she should've served 60% or that she couldn't have served better, only that I can accept it because the serve did win her a lot of important points....just not enough today. Today was all about Serena's play. Maria was never really in control of the match, and it was Serena\s incredible defense and own serve that made all the difference.

Like many of you, I believe that if Maria stays healthy and motivated, she can win at least 2-3 more majors and maybe more depending on her own improvements and that of her rivals. Nevertheless, I concede that her best chances would be to avoid facing Serena in finals as much as possible. If they do play again, Maria has to bring all that she brought today plus something extra, and hope for the best. There's still Wimby and the US this year, so it's possible our girl can take another slam, and I wouldn't be surprised if she did win one.
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1203
country flag RenaPova

RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future

Well done giving it your all and making it at least competitive Maria.
RenaPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1204
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly we can't complain about % today really. Both girls were a bit below their best IMO, but both were good when it needed to be. Maria's serve allowed Serena a lot of BPs but it also only allowed her to convert 3. I really don't think she served badly at all but of course a higher % is always better, but Maria's serve isn't like anybody else, so long as the DFs aren't flowing then the % doesn't matter as much.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1205
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Maria and Thomas have said that Wimbledon and the US Open were the priority this year, so it'll be interesting to first see if there's anything different about Maria on the grass in a couple of weeks.

I actually would prefer that Maria is put in Serena's half for Wimbledon. The last 3 times Maria played Serena have been in finals. She has a lot to prove this year after last year's 4th round flop, so if she's fortunate enough to make it to Serena, just for a bit of a change-up, I want to see how a semifinal matchup would unfold.

And, yes, one of the reasons I don't want to see another final meeting is the fact that Serena is destroying Maria's title match record %. Maria now 2-3 in finals this year, all 3 losses to Serena. Only 29-22 overall now. 11 of her 22 losses to Serena and Vika combined.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #1206
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
Honestly we can't complain about % today really. Both girls were a bit below their best IMO, but both were good when it needed to be. Maria's serve allowed Serena a lot of BPs but it also only allowed her to convert 3. I really don't think she served badly at all but of course a higher % is always better, but Maria's serve isn't like anybody else, so long as the DFs aren't flowing then the % doesn't matter as much.
i agree! there were some pretty ridiculous 2nd serves today. maria really had to go for everyshot.
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1207
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

excited for wimbledon!
wimby is all about the big 3.
petra i so irrelevant i dont care what her wimby performance was in the past 2 years.
i want a VIKA maria final at wimby. serena to fall in the semis to either of them just to make the race to YEC#1 more interesting.
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #1208
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Maria

I never expected such a strong performance in final vs Serena

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1209
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkist View Post
excited for wimbledon!
wimby is all about the big 3.
petra i so irrelevant i dont care what her wimby performance was in the past 2 years.
i want a VIKA maria final at wimby. serena to fall in the semis to either of them just to make the race to YEC#1 more interesting.
Serena will not lose to Maria/Vika. Serena usually loses to lower ranked players
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1210
Effy
God gave us Rock'n'Roll

Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Maria and Thomas have said that Wimbledon and the US Open were the priority this year, so it'll be interesting to first see if there's anything different about Maria on the grass in a couple of weeks.
yeah, i was thinking about it as well, can't wait for Wimbly to start
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1211
country flag Kitten63

Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute

Maria really tried and fought well out there today. I'm so proud of her, she played a decent match and kept it close. Serena is the best so even though it hurts there's no shame in losing to her.

Great tournament Maria

Anna Chakvetadze Petra Kvitova Jelena Jankovic Nicole Vaidisova Svetlana Kuznetsova Dinara Safina Elena Dementieva Vera Zvonereva Nadia Petrova Marion Bartoli Samantha Stosur

0663...Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Federer Gasquet Djokovic Youzhny Berdych Ancic Soderling
Kitten63 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1212
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Maria has much to prove actually. She might have made R4 last year, but subpar Maria playing clay style on grass losing to PEAK Lisicki isn't a surprise. She made the F of OG and Wimbly '11.

I think having played OG last year will help, she'll be fit to watch those tapes and know how to be playing, instead of the clay court stuff she was playing last year. It isn't easy to do Wimbly after a deep RG run, this will be Maria's 3rd attempt on the trot so I'm sure she's used to it and at this stage will be able to prepare more effectively.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1213
country flag Yksi

Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold

Maria fought valiantly, but Serena was just too strong today.
Yksi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1214
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
The way she held that first game was unbelievable, and I haven't seen it but apparently it was a similar situation in the first game of the second set.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1215
country flag jameshazza

Yeah it was, she was incredibly clutch on her serve really. I was waiting for it to breakdown somany times but it didn't plus. she mixed it up well for about the first 3rd of each set, then got predictable for the next 3rd but managed to regroup again and mix it up instead of reverting to the same old patterns.

Her 100 MPH second serve ace in the first.