New racquet time! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute
New racquet time!

Hello guys,

Can someone recommend a racquet that's like the Prince TT Propel but not? I'm looking to move over to Head after my Prince racquet has cracked (RIP), but am open to other brands, except Wilson. Last time I had a Wilson I got shoulder problems cause it was too heavy. I need UK prices, and preferably under £50.

Thanks!
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006

Victoria Azarenka | Li Na | Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Sloane Stephens
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #2
country flag TennisIndonesia

TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice TennisIndonesia is just really nice
Re: New racquet time!

Hi Keegan,

Sorry to hear about your cracked racquet, had that RIP sensation many a time.

I would just suggest not to write off any brand of racquet as such. Wilson's will make good racquets and bad racquets, light and heavy- same as pretty much all the other brands. A good way to find a suitable racket similar to your own is to search it on tenniswarehouse. It has a racquet comparison tool which allows you to input your racquet specifications and compare them to current and previous racquets on the market.

Also £50 is very cheap so you might want to look at clearance sections in websites such as PWP, Pro-Direct Tennis, Tennisnuts and Tennis Planet to find a good price.

Good luck!

Paul

http://sliceserve.blogspot.com/
TennisIndonesia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #3
country flag Nnancy

Nnancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there are some good options with heavy discounts on TennisEarth store on its website as well.... check that!!
Nnancy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
country flag tmc5005

tmc5005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think not only about the actual weight but also about the balance because a head heavy balance is bad for your arm and also is more difficult to maneuver especially at the net. I really like the Prince EXO3 Tour, it has a head light balance and a very flexible frame giving great feel and touch and it has decent power and great reviews. Definitely worth a try.
tmc5005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #5
country flag Felipe Abe

Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all Felipe Abe is a name known to all

£50 is too low, can't figure a good racquet that the price is under it.
Felipe Abe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute

Bit late now my friend, but thanks anyway!
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006

Victoria Azarenka | Li Na | Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Sloane Stephens
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #7
country flag magnus5

magnus5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!

I got a problem with my tennis racquet. I'm using Prince Exo3 Warrior which weight 300g and I think it's to heavy for me. I used to play table tennis proffesionally for over 10 years, so I have some feeling for the racquet and ball. When I play from the base line I have no problems, but when I came closer to the net, where the power of every ball is stronger I can't hold my racquet anymore and it's trying to run away from my hand. This happens especially on the backhand side. The same thing happens to me with my serves and high balls. On the other hand I've been playing tennis for only 3 months but because of my history in table tennis I can beat opponents who has been playing for 20 or 30 years (offcoure they are all amateurs). I'm saying this because I don't know if it's too early for me to replace the racquet and I will get used to this one.

what do you think? What should I do?

What do you think about this one - Head YouTek Graphene Speed REV?
magnus5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus5 View Post
Hey!

I got a problem with my tennis racquet. I'm using Prince Exo3 Warrior which weight 300g and I think it's to heavy for me. I used to play table tennis proffesionally for over 10 years, so I have some feeling for the racquet and ball. When I play from the base line I have no problems, but when I came closer to the net, where the power of every ball is stronger I can't hold my racquet anymore and it's trying to run away from my hand. This happens especially on the backhand side. The same thing happens to me with my serves and high balls. On the other hand I've been playing tennis for only 3 months but because of my history in table tennis I can beat opponents who has been playing for 20 or 30 years (offcoure they are all amateurs). I'm saying this because I don't know if it's too early for me to replace the racquet and I will get used to this one.

Demo different racquets until you find one that suits your style of play.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #9
country flag Payam

Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey!

300g is NOT heavy for a tennis racket, it is actually medium range, and the heavy rackets are the ones which are over 340 (my own racket is 350g). Backhand volley to many is the most natural shot that they can hit and if you are uncomfortable with it (esp since you, like me have played table tennis before), the problem might come from somewhere else, my best guess is that you have not bought the racket with the correct grip size, the bigger the grip the firmer the hold you will have over the racket and there is less chance for it falling off your hand in volleys. If that's not the case you might need some coaching for it, also a tacky overgrip might solve the problem.
Three months is way too early to change a racket, and even with your history in table tennis it takes around 2 years to become an intermediate tennis player (and replacing your racket with a tweener racket).

The Head racket that you had named is too light and such rackets are usually designed for juniors who want a normal size racket, but are not strong enough yet to swing an adult racket, or older people who may want a very light racket etc.

This website gives a short explanation about the weight of the rackets:
http://www.the-racquet.co.uk/racquet...cq_weight.html

May the HAMMER smash the cross
Payam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #10
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on being such a strong table tennis player magnus5!

I agree with Payam, 300g is quite normal. It's the weight of the Babolat pure drive, which is probably the most popular racquet around right now.

I don't think a lighter racquet would solve this problem anyway. A lighter racquet twists more on impact, a heavier racquet has more inertia and holds it's line better. You only need a lighter racquet if you are a kid or lack the strength to accelerate the racquet. A really heavy racquet actually reduces the effect of impact- you feel the impact less.

Grip size is a possible explanation.

The issue is probably also somewhat technical- have a coach look at your volleys. Are you using the correct continental grip? Or at least very close to it for volleys? Many people use a grip too far oriented towards the forehand grip on volleys and therefore can only volley on the forehand side. When using the correct grip you will probably find it much easier to hit backhand volleys but it will take some work to be able to volley the forehand volley correctly with this grip.

At first you will only be able to volley slower shots, but over time you will learn to volley against faster shots.

It takes quite a while to master the serve, especially if you are trying to learn the correct continental grip.

Also, 3 months is not a long time to be playing this game, even with your history in table tennis. Possibly you may have to build some wrist strength but I would first suspect the issue is technical.

Last edited by HowardH : May 25th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #11
country flag magnus5

magnus5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments!

I didn't say at first I'm 180cm 72kg and I've never been really strong. I've been playing with different racquets, but people around me (they have been playing for years) have racquets weight from 290g to 330g, so I've never played with lighter racquet. Now I found a store nearby where I can loan racquets for free. I'll try that.

Grip: Think I should get one more grip over my racquet, but that will probably not solve the problem completely.

When I am playing I feel I can't turn my wrist fast enough and the ball run away from my racquet before finishing swing. That happens with serve, volleys and net-game. I'm a bit stronger than last year. Last I had to be 100% set for every swing, this year isn't so. When I get a tough ball on my forehand I can easily hit back just using my wrist.

But with the lighter racquet you have to be less strong to turn the racquet and your swing can be shorter. Is this true?

What about with fast balls playing from baseline?

Next week I'll borrow some racquets 260, 270g...
magnus5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

I weigh much less than you and I use a racquet that weighs 315g. However, I admit that my strength is above average for my size, and I used to use a racquet that weighed 340, so 315 feels comparatively light to me.

With a heavier racquet it takes more strength to pull or flick the racquet around, but at impact the racquet "absorbs" the shock and remains quite stable. This is part of the reason why almost all pros, especially men, use heavier racquets and in fact often add extra weight using lead tape to the frames or under the grip, or ask their manufacturer to build extra weight into customised frames. When the opponent hits really hard or with heavy spin a light racquet cannot remain stable at the impact, and the pros train enough to develop the arm strength to wield the heavier frame.

With a lighter racquet it takes less strength to pull the racquet but at impact more of the shock is transferred to your arm, there is more tendency for the racquet to twist at impact.

If your problem is that you can't bring the racquet around quickly enough and you are "late" on impact, a lighter racquet could help.

The other thing you should consider is whether you want a head heavy, head light or balanced frame.

Head light racquets are easier to manoeuvre but it's easier to generate power with a head heavy frame

Most pros use heavy head light racquets which gives a good combination of stability and manoeuvrability, but amateurs usually find pro racquets too heavy to wield.

Everyone is a little bit unique so you should experiment with head heavy and head light frames as well as the overall weight and hopefully you will find something you like.

I still suspect that technical improvement would help a lot as well. It may be that you have enough strength but you just don't know how to apply that strength in the right way to make the racquet do what you want.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #13
country flag Payam

Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for the comments!

Grip: Think I should get one more grip over my racquet, but that will probably not solve the problem completely.

When I am playing I feel I can't turn my wrist fast enough and the ball run away from my racquet before finishing swing. That happens with serve, volleys and net-game. I'm a bit stronger than last year. Last I had to be 100% set for every swing, this year isn't so. When I get a tough ball on my forehand I can easily hit back just using my wrist.

But with the lighter racquet you have to be less strong to turn the racquet and your swing can be shorter. Is this true?

What about with fast balls playing from baseline?

Next week I'll borrow some racquets 260, 270g...
There are 2 points which need to be highlighted here, first is part which I have highlighted in green. Me and Howard didn't mean just wrapping overgrip over your grip, tennis rackets come in different grip sizes in stock form with number like L1, L2, L3, L4 or their equivalents like (4 1/4), (4 3/8) etc. and you should be able to find the one which is suitable for your hand size. How does one do that? Just do a search on the google and you find two ways.

The second point is about the parts highlighted in red and though there is no easy way of saying that with seeming pretentious, but I have to admit that from what you have said, it can be implied that you are playing tennis as you play table tennis, whereas these two are played quite differently and "the wrist" does not have a role here, but it is the whole arm which makes the swing and the wrist stays in the same position all through the swing. So if you have been using your wrist for your strokes, expect to have a severe wrist injury within the next few months (depending on how many hours you play each week). The ONLY stroke which uses the wrist is the serve, but you have to do it right before the contact to whip the ball.

Also you don't a need backswing for a volley, it is a very short slicing action, and it wouldn't need a long preparation time. I do suggest that you take some coaching (even watching some videos on the Youtube could be a good start) before you internalize these bad habits of playing with the wrist.

Old May 29th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #14
country flag HowardH

The trend here is that we are both tending to think that technical instruction could help you.

It's true that the volley action is very short and you shouldn't really be "late" on it if you are doing it correctly. You might miss the shot or be late because of misjudgment, but you shouldn't feel like it took you too long to do the swing, it's almost a push or short chop, it takes only a fraction of a second.

Advanced players do use the wrist on the forehand groundstroke at least (less on the backhand) but the movement is mostly a rolling action (not a snapping forward action like on the serve) and is primarily designed to impart spin. Studies show that there is also often a slight forward movement in the wrist (particularly pronounced in the Federer and Nadal forehands, but they are super advanced).

Still, the main thing is that you don't snap the wrist forwards except for on serves and smashes in tennis. Rolling the wrist in a circular pattern to get spin (windscreen wiper shape) is okay.

Adding another grip onto your grip can help but as pointed out above it's better to get the actual size right. When you add grips on top of the original it tends to lose the proper grip shape and it's hard to feel the bevels.
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #15
country flag Payam

You are quite right HowardH and pros do use their wrists, but I don't tell it to people that I am teaching tennis too, because it is quite to develop a bad habit of flicking the wrist on short swings and then imagine that this is what pros are doing.

I do have played against those people who come from a table tennis background and though they might think they are playing tennis (I call their game playing touch with the ball), and might get good results for their unconventional game but in the end they can be defeated easily if you return the ball hard to them or if you bring them to the net and hit the ball toward them. Why does this happen? Because the mechanics of table tennis and tennis are different and you can't easily use the same skills in both sports.

One of the such people was so furious that broke his racket in our club after 6-0 6-0 loss, and even though it was a casual game, he wouldn't leave the court and was standing by the net in a very depressed stance for almost half an hour. My best guess for his odd behavior after the loss was that he thought he is a great player (and indeed he must have been a great table tennis player, no doubts about that), but he was must have been irritated that his skills fell short for returning my shots. Whereas if he had learned tennis in the way this game is actually played, he would have had a slow but consistent progress and would have known his weaknesses and strengths. So IMHO it is better to get disappointed in the beginning by knowing that you have to develop different kind of strokes to table tennis than getting disillusioned with with/after a bad loss.